• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want crossplay on PS4? Make your voices be heard.

By request.

First off, for those who don't know but have heard the word thrown around... Crossplay, what is it?

Wikipedia said:
In video games, cross-platform play or cross-play is a term used to describe the ability of a video game with an online gaming component that allows players using different video game hardware to play with each other simultaneously. It is commonly applied to the ability for players using a game on a specific video game console to play alongside a player on a different hardware platform such as another console or a computer.
The term is related to but distinct from the notion of cross-platform development, which use software languages and tools to enable deployment of software on multiple platforms. Cross-platform play is also a distinct concept from the ability to allow a player to play a game on different hardware platforms, often only having to purchase the title for one single system to have access to it on other systems, and retaining their progress in the game through the use of cloud storage or similar techniques.

If after just reading the description you don't know why you should want it, let me try (lol) to paint you a picture of a possible future for gamers.

You are going on a trip with family or even alone. You or your kids or friends take your mobile devices with you and when bored use them to play x game while on the road, at the hotel or wherever you please. You are having tons of fun progressing through the game with friends online or alone. Now, you arrive home exhausted and want to sit and relax so you boot up device of choice and load up x game and pickup where you last left off.

OR

You are at the office, you play x game with your co-workers when taking breaks. Some on mobile devices some on PC some on console. X game has a shared world. The clock ticks the magic number and it's time to go home. A bunch of fellow employees ask if you are going to be on and you say yes. You go home and can choose whatever device you desire to load up x game and jump back in with your friends in the same world.

This whole time you never had to stop and think about what companies hardware ecosystem you had the game on and that you had to build your life around in order to make this happen.

If this or any version of it sounds like the kind of future you want then as consumers we need to support it whenever possible to show them that we want this so that this future becomes a reality sooner rather than later. We now how an opportunity to do so.

Nintendo, Microsoft, Google and Apple are opening up to this future, even if they weren't in the past, and are supporting it in a big way by allowing it with Minecraft.

Unfortunately, Sony is not. The excuse they have given is basically "think of the children."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

Minecraft works cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Today, Rocket League was announced as working cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Both don't work cross-platform with PlayStation. Now, is this Sony not playing ball? What is actually going on here?

Jim Ryan: It's certainly not a profound philosophical stance we have against this. We've done it in the past. We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance. And I can see your eyes rolling.

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children,

Jim Ryan: Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

Is this a done deal? Or are you leaving the door open, perhaps?

Jim Ryan: I don't think anything is ever a done deal. Anybody who is dogmatic in that manner is typically a fool. That said, to my knowledge, there is no live conversation ongoing at the moment.

So there you have it. If you're playing Minecraft or Rocket League or any other game on PS4, don't expect to play with Nintendo Switch or Xbox One owners.

If you as a consumer think this excuse is BS...
If you as a consumer don't give a DUCK about Mr. Sony's possible business reasons...
If you as a consumer don't like being walled-in in the name of keeping you safe...
If you as a consumer want open and free borders in as many multiplayer games as possible...
If you as a consumer want to be able to choose where you play them without chains...
If you as a consumer just want a crossplay future to come faster for everyone...

Then there is something you can do about it. Make your voices heard.

People can effect that change and make it happen faster if everyone does get loud. I mean, crossplay is a really awesome idea for consumers and an awesome future landscape for gamers. If this where my platform of choice then I would be doing all I could to make it happen faster.

You can post it on the PlayStation blog.

https://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

If Sony takes these ideas seriously this actually might be the best way to get attention and be seen.

You can tweet at them,

@Sony

@Playstation

@ShawnLayden

@yosp

We are using the hashtag, #PS4Crossplay

Also, it would be a good idea to link this petition in your tweets as well! https://www.change.org/p/sony-minecraft-ps4-crossplay

Thanks to Gaffer Dart, there is also this amazing png that I would encourage you to post everywhere, every chance you get along with a link to this thread.

vXwEOFH.png

Follow the #PS4Crossplay Hashtag here and make sure you are on the "Latest" tab and like and retweet when you can.

You can sign this petition that is actually going well,

https://www.change.org/p/sony-minecraft-ps4-crossplay

You can write them,

Sony Interactive Entertainment America LLC
Consumer Services Department
P.O. Box 5888
San Mateo, California, 94402-0888
United States of America

Here is a nice tutorial on how to write a letter of objection for those who may not know.

And you can call them. Ask to speak to a supervisor if you think you need to.

Sony 855-999-SONY (7669)

And you can spread dank memes and hope they catch on.

aA3gzk6.png

Here is a simple and easy to use online website that lets you make memes for those that don't or can't use Photoshop and such.

This will definitely catch someone's eye. I actually think memes are really important in visibility. The more and funnier the better.

If anyone has any more suggestions or anything to add like people to tweet and such, please let me know.

It might not be quick, but it WILL be felt. A business's reputation is invaluable. This can work, never forget #Ps4noDRM

Krakn3Dfx

Won't someone please think of the children.

Tweeted to Shu, Layden and Playstation a few days ago about this, more people definitely need to make their voices heard.

Shin

Banned
Four threads now about the same thing basically, just sayin'.
As for your question no I don't care, none of those games interests me.
The only positive I see about this is that it keeps communities/games alive.
E.g if you buy a game 1 year later that has MP then you're pretty much out of luck as MP is most likely dead by then (no players or servers taken offline).

Rodelero

Compared to say the rather successful anti-DRM campaign that took place in 2013, I'm finding it a little hard to feel invigorated for this particular fight. It would be nice, obviously, but it's not actually a feature I can imagine myself using that much. Without some kind of unified chat system, for example, I wouldn't really want to cross play with someone on a different platform anyway. Perhaps there are some smaller games where cross play would make a big difference to the viability of their online modes but this isn't the case with any of the titles so far in question. As for the Minecraft situation of having to log into Xbox to do it, I can very much understand why Sony wouldn't want to enable it.

Right now though this whole issue just seems so wildly exaggerated when I start to think through the potential use cases I might have for it. I guess it really comes down to this line from the interview:

"Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation why. That's what I'm getting at, really."

I'm just not seeing this legion of upset PlayStation fans. It feels a bit... fabricated. I'm not against cross play, in fact I'm for it, I'm just not ready to pick up a pitchfork.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
As someone who does not own a Playstation 4, I have no reason not to want all multiplatform games to be crossplay compatible. Just let everybody play together. Why not?

I can already cross play with PC players with FF14 ARR.
And when i cross play With pc players in SFV , it's not a great experience ... so i'm not that bothered really.

And i do think the escuse of "children" is bullshit.

Good luck to those who are affected by minecraft & rocket league.. But those communities are healthy enough on their own from my limited knowledge so i'm not that "hot" on that fight.

Stuff like Rocket League and Gwent should have full cross play instead of the half assed way they have to do it now.

I totally see the weirdness about not wanting to give your direct competitors first party studio a dev licence for your platform and then let them use a competing service and their own log in to power it tho.

I kinda feel Sony only left Minecraft PS alone for so long was because 4J studios was acting as the independent party buffer between both sides. Now Minecraft console editions are going in house to MS and back to Mojang and while I dont completely agree, I see why the suits at Sony pulled the plug. Shit, I dont think the PS editon even metions Microsoft once anywhere in it still where as on Switch MS is the publisher and has its logo all in that game

I hope they work it out though. It would be rad.

Yudoken

Almost a year ago I've started doing research and writing a thread about the situation of xplay.

Back then I collected evidence that Sony was not allowing Psyonix to "flip the switch" for xplay between all platforms.

Back then I had Tekken 7 in mind (xplay was not possible because they wanted either all platforms or none) and it didn't happen because this was one of the big issues.

Honestly until Minecraft xplay/xb login stuff there wasn't any hope left that this subject would be further investigated and the recent interviews just confirm that Sony is the only one who's standing in the way of full xplay.

Rocket League would probably the first game that would run immediately after Sony allows xplay with other consoles too.

Psyonix announce back then that they're ready to release a small update to allow xplay with all platforms.

Caronte

Why are people so obsessed with this now when apparently it wasn't an issue before? Don't get me wrong, this is good for the industry and hopefully Sony does something about it, but I'm confused.

CookTrain

Why are people so obsessed with this when apparently it wasn't an issue before? Don't get me wrong, this is good for the industry and hopefully Sony does something about it, but I'm confused.

Because it seemed fruitless. Once upon a time, Sony wanted to, but MS didn't. Then MS wanted to, and Sony didn't. Then PC got into it and it was ok, then Switch showed up and things got weird and optimistic.

There has been no better time to push for it than right now, with three of the four major platform holders on board.

Why are people so obsessed with this now when apparently it wasn't an issue before? Don't get me wrong, this is good for the industry and hopefully Sony does something about it, but I'm confused.

I think it's before everyone had the impression it was something to do with Microsoft's policies being too sneaky, and now they realize it's just that Sony has been holding back for no real good reason.

Kayant

You know, if it doesn't require me to log into shit like uPlay or Xbox Live.
It wouldn't for basic things like RL as those are handled can be handled by the dev. However, if things like cross-plat chat/friends/DLC tracking etc are needed would more than likely need an additional account.

Almost a year ago I've started doing research and writing a thread about the situation of xplay.

Back then I collected evidence that Sony was not allowing Psyonix to "flip the switch" for xplay between all platforms.

Back then I had Tekken 7 in mind (xplay was not possible because they wanted either all platforms or none) and it didn't happen because this was one of the big issues.

Honestly until Minecraft xplay/xb login stuff there wasn't any hope left that this subject would be further investigated and the recent interviews just confirm that Sony is the only one who's standing in the way of full xplay.

Rocket League would probably the first game that would run immediately after Sony allows xplay with other consoles too.

Psyonix announce back then that they're ready to release a small update to allow xplay with all platforms.

Thanks for this mate. Do you think we should use the same hashtag as you did then? Do you have any ideas?

I have no problem finding opponents on PS4. For me to complain when there's no problem at all, I'd rather not waste my time and the Sony Devs time when it could be better spent on meaningful features.

Siege.exe

Why are people so obsessed with this when apparently it wasn't an issue before? Don't get me wrong, this is good for the industry and hopefully Sony does something about it, but I'm confused.

It was always an issue, people were mad when MS wouldn't agree a few years ago, and they were mad when Sony wouldn't commit to anything over the past year or so. The combination of Nintendo of all companies getting on board and Jim Ryan's poor response is the cause of the backlash you're seeing now.

I have no problem finding opponents on PS4. For me to complain when there's no problem at all, I'd rather not waste my time and the Sony Devs time when it could be better spent on meaningful features.

Well I have good news for you, because Sony's developers don't have to waste time doing anything. All Sony has to do is say yes, then third party developers can do as they please.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm tweeting about this and the statements on BC. I want them to expand the PS2 on PS4 efforts dramatically and for PS1 classics to make it onto PS4.

I feel the same, it seems people heard the wake up call (I'm still sleeping on this).

Thud

Because there are developers putting the effort in to make this happen, quite different from before.

ethomaz

Banned
With a option to turn off... maybe yes.

It is good to have options but like I did in SFV I will first turn PC users off... I'm not suppose to play against cheaters due cross-play.

I'm not a really support for this feature because I don't like it.

Purest 78

This is my issue I have No problem finding games. So I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care about this.

JDH

I don't play online often, and don't really care who I play with. I'm selfish.

With that being said, if it doesn't compromise security, or cost me extra $, Sure why not?

Sign me up for the "It'd be cool but I don't care enough about it to do anything."

However, I do think it's a shit excuse on Sony's part.

Kayant

With a option to turn off... yes.

It is good to have options but like I did in SFV I will first turn PC users off... I'm not suppose to play against cheaters due cross-play.
You will always have that option thanks to it being part of MS's requirement for crossplay.

Top Bottom