• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Theorry
(06-17-2017, 08:27 AM)

Monolith’s Design Director Bob Roberts said during a chat with Wccftech at E3 2017 that Middle-earth: Shadow of War will indeed run at native 4K resolution on Microsoft’s Xbox One X console.

What about PlayStation 4 Pro? Roberts said that the team is still trying to optimize and didn’t have exact specifications on what will be final on the console, but Monolith will try to fit in everything they can. We’ll know closer to launch, then.

We also got confirmation that High Dynamic Range (HDR) support won’t be reserved to consoles, which is a weird and somewhat disturbing trend of late. This also means that the PC version will be the best one, having all of the bells and whistles for graphics as well as higher frame rate – Monolith is focusing on delivering a stable 30FPS across the board on all consoles, said Roberts.

We’re not shooting for 60FPS at the time, we are trying to milk more graphics out of it and just make sure it always stays above 30 smoothly.

He also praised Microsoft’s console due on November 7th for its much faster loading times.

Yeah, it’s a crazy powerful box, it will be the prettiest possible version of the game [Editor’s note: among consoles]. We have some devkits which also load a lot faster, while in development it’s extra nice to load a giant world in a matter of seconds so we can iterate faster. But it will also have faster loading times for players, I think that one of the big things in this console generation is that we got a lot more memory, but in a lot of games I played loading times got longer rather than shorter.

It’s nice to see them push on this side of the technology.

http://wccftech.com/monolith-shadow-...ative-4k-xb1x/
Collingwood
(06-17-2017, 08:29 AM)
I'd assume dynamic on Pro
vsaintlo
(06-17-2017, 08:31 AM)
The first one was native 4K most of the time using dynamic. I would expect similar unless this out has some demanding enhancements.
Liliana Eileen
(06-17-2017, 08:36 AM)
Native 4K on a title like this is crazy.
geordiemp
(06-17-2017, 08:36 AM)
I assume that whoever has the marketing gets the details of the game pushed first, everything else is no big deal unless you play on a monitor IMO.

Was the last one not 4K on my Pro ? Got to admit, I dont bother looking it up anymore and all I can see is its above 1080p on 50 inches.

30 FPS will be standard for these games on Jaguar.

Originally Posted by Liliana Eileen

Why, I can play the first one in native 4K now on my Pro, its not massive on particles and effects.
Last edited by geordiemp; 06-17-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Collingwood
(06-17-2017, 08:37 AM)

It's not a real looker and doesn't appear (at first glance) to be doing a lot effects wise. So it's not surprising.
texhnolyze
(06-17-2017, 08:54 AM)
Why are you comparing this to the first game?

Originally Posted by Collingwood

It's not a real looker and doesn't appear (at first glance) to be doing a lot effects wise. So it's not surprising.

I guess we'll have to wait for the PC specs to be sure.
nelsonroyale
(06-17-2017, 09:11 AM)

Originally Posted by texhnolyze

I guess we'll have to wait for the PC specs to be sure.

Well it has more going on, but doesn't look much more impressive visually. The first game was also cross gen...
Guymelef
(06-17-2017, 09:13 AM)

Originally Posted by texhnolyze

Because it looks the same practly, just bigger.
MosquitoSmasher
(06-17-2017, 09:28 AM)
I would say impressive but that words doesn't come to mind when I look at the recent footage. It really doesn't look all that hot there. I notice how the exterior parts don't seem to look all that fantastic but the interiors do look rather good with lighting and everything.
Christocolus
(06-17-2017, 09:42 AM)

Yup. Mike Ybarra said they weren't done with the dev kits and I recall Jez Corden saying something about an upcoming SDK update in October. The 1GB of ram was also just unlocked so things will definitely get better as we get closer to the console's launch. There is really no reason why Xbx1X games shouldn't look better than the Pro versions. The console's specs are better in every way.
tuna_love
(06-17-2017, 09:48 AM)

Originally Posted by geordiemp

I assume that whoever has the marketing gets the details of the game pushed first, everything else is no big deal unless you play on a monitor IMO.

Was the last one not 4K on my Pro ? Got to admit, I dont bother looking it up anymore and all I can see is its above 1080p on 50 inches.

30 FPS will be standard for these games on Jaguar.

Why, I can play the first one in native 4K now on my Pro, its not massive on particles and effects.

all you seem to do is justify your pro purchase
brawly
(06-17-2017, 09:48 AM)

I would agree if it was the Pro. The X1X has more than enough juice.
HariKari
(06-17-2017, 09:59 AM)

At 30 fps? Not that crazy.
BrainZEROX
(06-17-2017, 10:12 AM)
Come on... Just use checkerboard rendering, it's fine. I'm sure the difference with 4k is minimal and the framerate will benefit.
stargateheaven
(06-17-2017, 10:25 AM)

Originally Posted by BrainZEROX

Come on... Just use checkerboard rendering, it's fine. I'm sure the difference with 4k is minimal and the framerate will benefit.

No we have to argue if its real native or checkboard!! Regular people cant tell the difference but we have to argue!! :)

Anyway i was actually inpressed wth the texture work on the playthrough they did of this gane. Should br mighty fine in 4k and checkbord 4k :)
Yautja_Warrior
(06-17-2017, 10:44 AM)
Seems to be a lot more characters on screen this time, so I'd be impressed if they got it to run mostly native like the first game did.
Marvel
could never
(06-17-2017, 10:46 AM)
That's amazing.
Stilton Disco
(06-17-2017, 10:50 AM)
Have we heard anything on what resolution this will be running at on the base models at all?
Bits N Pieces
(06-17-2017, 10:51 AM)

Originally Posted by tuna_love

Very consistent messaging ;)
Mathieran
(06-17-2017, 10:52 AM)
Hope they don't try too hard to get native 4K on the pro. I'd rather have checkerboard with higher settings.
Joey Ravn
(06-17-2017, 10:53 AM)
They can make it 8K native for all that I care. Pushing resolution is the most boring path they could have decided to walk, if you ask me. Frame rate would have been a much more impactful area to work on, but I guess blurting out "4K" as much as they can is what makes them sell games these days.
thelastword
(06-17-2017, 12:03 PM)
This looks just like the first game and that was native on PRO. They may keep the dynamic resolution scaling on PRO to keep framerate up when things got heavy, barely if ever dropped on PRO though.
Sanctuary
(06-17-2017, 12:08 PM)

Originally Posted by geordiemp

It was also a cross gen game.

Maybe some games will benefit from "true 4K" at some point, but I can't even tell the difference between checkerboarding and native 4K right now. If rendering at native 4K is so much more resource heavy, but with no real discernable difference other than being about to brag about being native 4K, it's not a benefit when performance is held hostage.
Last edited by Sanctuary; 06-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
black070
Banned
(06-17-2017, 12:12 PM)

Yup, looks great to me either way.
geordiemp
(06-17-2017, 12:17 PM)

Originally Posted by tuna_love

Nah, your wrong.

I got 2 ps3, 2 360, 2 ps4, 2 ps4 pro and 2 wall mounted large Tv's side by side all ethernet to 200 mbs fibre, I am fortunate that I dont need to justify £ 400 its not a big deal for me. Yeah I could build 2 gaming Pc's, but I just prefer consoles.

So, I would really like console gaming at 60 FPS, and will discuss it in forums, hey because thats what you do in gaming forums.

I was not excited by Ps4 pro, its OK and nothing more, nor am I excited by Scorpio, they are both hamstrung designs and Jaguar REALLY disappoints.

I would of shoved a low voltage Ryzen and a 580 with 12 GB total in a box and found an API layer to make it back compat for $ 600. That would of been a proper elite 60 FPS console.
Angel_DvA
(06-17-2017, 12:29 PM)
Game looks like shit, It should run in native 4K in all "new platform".
gamz
(06-17-2017, 12:29 PM)

Not if you don't have to.
Kilau
(06-17-2017, 12:35 PM)
1080/60 option would be great.
OnionPowder
(06-17-2017, 12:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Sanctuary

It was also a cross gen game.

Only in the most basic sense

The PS3/360 versions were absolute disasters.
almostjuliuscaesar
(06-17-2017, 12:38 PM)
I did think they could've used better assets given it's not cross gen anymore, but this is expected considering they got the first to run in 4K
The Hamburglar
(06-17-2017, 12:44 PM)
And 30fps. Jesus give us 60fps for action games
R aka Bon
(06-17-2017, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by The Hamburglar

And 30fps. Jesus give us 60fps for action games

I wish the Pro and the X would try to at least to have 60 fps modes maybe in 1080p especially for open world games, it surely isn't impossible.
Footos22
(06-17-2017, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by R aka Bon

I wish the Pro and the X would try to at least to have 60 fps modes maybe in 1080p especially for open world games, it surely isn't impossible.

Isn't gonna happen. With the amount of stuff on screen and all the enemy a.i involved along with all the other systems the shitty jaguar wouldn't be able to handle it
Alexious
(06-17-2017, 08:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Footos22

Isn't gonna happen. With the amount of stuff on screen and all the enemy a.i involved along with all the other systems the shitty jaguar wouldn't be able to handle it

That's what Bungie said, too. Truth to be told, The Surge has a 1080P@60FPS option on PS4 Pro but it's not an open world game.
Theorry
(06-17-2017, 09:33 PM)

Originally Posted by MosquitoSmasher

I would say impressive but that words doesn't come to mind when I look at the recent footage. It really doesn't look all that hot there. I notice how the exterior parts don't seem to look all that fantastic but the interiors do look rather good with lighting and everything.

The Hamburglar
(06-17-2017, 09:34 PM)
what a stupid comment. pro is already out so they should know if its native 4k or not, while the xbox xbox isn't yet.
sirap
(06-17-2017, 09:35 PM)
I'm fine with checkerboarding if it means a stable framerate. Can't really tell the difference even at 4 feet, it's all crisp to me.
Tagg9
(06-17-2017, 09:38 PM)

Originally Posted by The Hamburglar

what a stupid comment. pro is already out so they should know if its native 4k or not, while the xbox xbox isn't yet.

What? They are still developing the game.
emrober5
(06-17-2017, 09:40 PM)
Microsoft has the marketing...not really a surprise there. I expect the pro will be dynamic 4k.

But honestly I'm more concerned with the gameplay on this one after the easy allies impressions. I enjoyed shadow or mordor and was interested here. Sounds like the game needs a lot of work.
JPS Kai
(06-18-2017, 12:00 AM)
Personally, I'd prefer a longer draw distance and frame rate bump to resolution on the PS4 Pro but the 4K would make for some damn fine screenshots/wallpapers.
wesleyshark
(06-18-2017, 12:02 AM)
Easily one of my most anticipated games this year. It's going to look stunning