• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Eolz
(06-22-2017, 11:51 PM)
Great interview from Jason Schreier here.

Selected quotes there:

When I asked what else Yoshida had left to accomplish, he pointed to the story, a highlight of Final Fantasy XIV. The intricate, ongoing plot is the main reason the fourteenth Final Fantasy is so appealing to those of us who don’t love MMOs, and it’s one thing that Yoshida wants to complete before he ever thinks about retiring. “There’s this overarching story, and I’ve actually set a goal or endpoint for that arc,” said Yoshida. “That’s one of the things I want to accomplish is to be able to finish that narrative.”

“How long will that be?” I asked.

“I think we’d need at least another two more expansions,” Yoshida said.

On what they can do now that they’ve ditched the PlayStation 3 version of Final Fantasy XIV:

Yoshida: One of the biggest challenges we had was the hardware trying to access files—the IO, or in and out... The speed at which some of the files are being read on the [PS3] hardware and then transferred into memory was slower compared to some of the other platforms. This is a 10-year-old-plus piece of equipment.
(...)
Because the speed at which the files were being read was slow, you did see a difference in the way it’s being displayed on screen. So there always had to be a cap so we could accommodate for that hardware capabilities.

On bringing Final Fantasy XIV to Xbox and Switch:

Yoshida: I’ve said this on several occasions, but it hasn’t changed. We would love for as many players to be on FFXIV as possible.

Conversations have been had with Mr. Phil Spencer of Microsoft, and the upper management teams of Nintendo. But I have proposed a condition every time I speak with any platform manufacturers. It’s that the game has to have the capability of cross-platform play.

Of course with an MMORPG, once it launches and starts going into live services and operations, there will be a community. No matter how small it dwindles down to, we have to be responsible for taking care of those communities. It would become an obstacle if the first-party or manufacturer changed how patches are being implemented or online regulations. Some of our external parties’ regulations don’t have MMORPGs in mind in terms of how they’re regulating their online activities. Those can become a hurdle when we consider operating FFXIV for an extended period of time, and so when I talk to those first-party companies, I ask them, ‘Do you have the capability to prepare for that, do you have the resolve that you’re going to make sure to take responsibility and take care of those, do you have that willingness?’

If we are able to come to some sort of agreement, a handshake so to speak, or if it does end up being that unfortunately we can’t do a handshake with Final Fantasy XIV, either way we’ll make sure to communicate with our players. But we have been tenacious—we’ve been trying to keep at it and be persistent about our conversations.

More at the link as usual.

DDOS me if old.
Faiz
(06-22-2017, 11:54 PM)
Shit, I never knew how badly I need middle finger platemail.
Massive Duck, C.M.
Banned
(06-22-2017, 11:56 PM)
Give me blue mage and I will subscribe until they shut down the servers
Retro Edge
(06-22-2017, 11:56 PM)
Give me 5 more expansions, i take them all. I don't want to stop playing this MMO anytime soon, I don't want it to end.
kromeo
(06-22-2017, 11:57 PM)
Showing off the nerd rings

Please don't release expansions with just new dps again please
ArkhamFantasy
When he says retire, does he mean from XIV or from video games?
JayEH
Does he want cross play with all platforms or just cross play with PC?
XenoRaven
I'm conflicted. I really want to save Eorzea, but I don't want the story to end...
Aeana
(06-22-2017, 11:58 PM)

Originally Posted by JayEH

All platforms have to play together. They all connect to the same servers.
Berordn
(06-22-2017, 11:58 PM)

PS4 already has cross-play with PC (because it's am MMO with the same servers). He definitely wants to bring it to Xbox.
PshycoNinja
(06-22-2017, 11:59 PM)
Only thing in the interview that excited me.

On the inevitable Final Fantasy XV crossover:

Yoshida: Plans for these are moving forward. The Final Fantasy XV team has settled down on their end. We feel that it’s going to be rather hefty in volume in terms of this crossover. Once we are able to get some visual references, some graphics available, and when we decide on timing, we’ll make sure to make an official announcement.

Brazil
Living in the shadow of Amaz
(06-22-2017, 11:59 PM)
I want 10 more expansions, YoshiP.
Nephtes
(06-23-2017, 12:00 AM)
So he's talked with Phil Spencer of Microsoft...
And his condition is that it must allow Cross Platform Play...
Microsoft is now committed to Cross Platform Play...

So... Where is the problem exactly?
When will they announce this for XOne?
Or is he saying another party is holding this up?
Sony?
rubius01
Damn only two more expansions???? Thats only 4 years
JayEH

Originally Posted by Aeana

All platforms have to play together. They all connect to the same servers.

So given the current situation, could Sony actually be the ones stopping it coming to other problems or do they not have a say here?
Vital Tundra
1. Does he mean retire retire? Or move on from 14? Because if its the former I will be very upset. He is the only guy I trust to make a fully competent FF16 with real results and no bullshit.

2. Its clear at this point Nintendo and Microsoft aren't the problem. FUCK Sony.
panama chief

Originally Posted by Berordn

PS4 already has cross-play with PC (because it's am MMO with the same servers). He definitely wants to bring it to Xbox.

Good to hear. I have a PlayStation, but some of my Xbox only friends are waiting for this.
Rymuth
(06-23-2017, 12:01 AM)
I can see that, one set Empire and one to cap things off.
DrkSage
(06-23-2017, 12:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Berordn

But the ball!? Where the fuck is it!

Also, I'm going to have to buy this game, expansions separately, every time there's a damn sale or I want to buy the deluxe edition or whatever it won't let me because "I already own it" when I clearly don't. Never bought the game, only played the beta.
Vital Tundra

Originally Posted by panama chief

Good to hear. I have a PlayStation, but some of my Xbox only friends are waiting for this.

Until Sony gets their head out their asses your friends will be waiting forever.
Mihael Mello Keehl
Banned
Why dont they just gone head and bring it over.. stop playing games lol
kromeo

So given the current situation, could Sony actually be the ones stopping it coming to other problems or do they not have a say here?

I suspect Spencer would have said by now if that was the case
Aeana

They could be if they require something that MS feels would be a bad idea to agree to.
The way the new PS4 version of DQ10 works is actually really stupid and results in a higher fee only for PS4 players, and that account can't be used directly with the other versions (even if they still all connect to the same servers), which makes it seem like Sony has some weird stipulations behind the scenes that nobody else has.
True Fire
(06-23-2017, 12:03 AM)
So, do we think the XIV team is currently making XVI?

They're really the only team who could be working on it. The XV team is too busy making fishing mini games, and VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts III are taking up Nomura's next two decades.
Aeana
(06-23-2017, 12:04 AM)

Originally Posted by True Fire

They're really the only team who could be working on it. The XV team is too busy making fishing mini games, and VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts III are taking up Nomura's next two decades.

No, the 14 team is making 14. It's an ongoing process.

Now, several key staff members have left the 14 team, or been changed to less intensive roles, which could mean that these staff members are on new projects, but the core FF14 team remains working on FF14.
kromeo
(06-23-2017, 12:05 AM)

Ito's working on it in his cupboard as we speak
Vital Tundra
(06-23-2017, 12:06 AM)

No, but I hope Yoshi can move on to a single player FF, he is honestly the best man for the job. Numora and Tabata cannot make FF16.
Eolz
(06-23-2017, 12:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Vital Tundra

No, but I hope Yoshi can move on to a single player FF, he is honestly the best man for the job. Numora and Tabata cannot make FF16.

Yoshi isn't leaving XIV before at least 2 expansions as he said :p
Hugstable
Banned
(06-23-2017, 12:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Eolz

So Final Fantasy XVI coming 2026!
Ashodin
(06-23-2017, 12:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Massive Duck, C.M.

Give me blue mage and I will subscribe until they shut down the servers

Imagine going through the game's content and collecting monster abilities, Pokémon style. You have to stand in the attack ranges to get the trigger. hnnnnnnnngh

Also Magic Knight would be dope af.
funkystudent
(06-23-2017, 12:13 AM)
Microsoft should totally call Sonys bluff and give the OK to FF14 cross play now and see what happens.

Right now its a bit weird MS hasnt given the OK to be honest. Cant imagine what the hang up is.
kromeo
(06-23-2017, 12:14 AM)
I couldn't see blue mage working in this game. Hopefully dancer next either as a dps or healer
Guess Who
Banned
Yoshi-P has said pretty plainly in the past few months he has no plans to leave FFXIV for the foreseeable future.
Vital Tundra

Originally Posted by Eolz

Yeah I know. I just don't want those 2 in charge of any more new Final Fantasy.
Slater
Banned
(06-23-2017, 12:17 AM)

Technically Nomura has never been in charge of a new mainline FF, :P Remake will be his first if he actually gets it out
Lonestar
I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
(06-23-2017, 12:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Rymuth

I can see that, one set Empire and one to cap things off.

Wondering if one would touch the unseen Southern Continent (Meracydia), or a final large confrontation with the overarching Ascian plot.
FinaruDensetsu
(06-23-2017, 12:23 AM)

Originally Posted by funkystudent

Microsoft should totally call Sonys bluff and give the OK to FF14 cross play now and see what happens.

Right now its a bit weird MS hasnt given the OK to be honest. Cant imagine what the hang up is.

If things haven't changed since last time, the issue was that MS requires XBLG even for MMOs.
Capella
(06-23-2017, 12:23 AM)

Originally Posted by funkystudent

It would become an obstacle if the first-party or manufacturer changed how patches are being implemented or online regulations.

It still seems like there is an issue were MS still has a policy requiring Xbox users to be able to opt out of cross play. I guess there is also an issue with the way FFXIV does patches?
Zen Mu
(06-23-2017, 12:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Nephtes

So he's talked with Phil Spencer of Microsoft...
And his condition is that it must allow Cross Platform Play...
Microsoft is now committed to Cross Platform Play...

So... Where is the problem exactly?
When will they announce this for XOne?
Or is he saying another party is holding this up?
Sony?

He's already answered this multiple times before. Cross play on Xbox (as of now) requires the games to have the option for Xbox gamers to turn it off essentially and play only with other Xbox players (basically Xbox only servers). This has been the hold up for 2 years now. They tried to get the game on XB1 immediately after the PS4 version was released, but they are not willing to do Xbox only servers in addition to the regular ones (and it makes zero sense for an MMO).

Can't blame it on Sony every time.
gtj1092
(06-23-2017, 12:24 AM)
So now no cross play on FF14 is Sony's fault when we have had direct quotes stating the issue has been on MS side?
Massive Duck, C.M.
Banned
(06-23-2017, 12:25 AM)

Originally Posted by kromeo

I couldn't see blue mage working

Would bet folding money we see it before we see dancer
Shock32
(06-23-2017, 12:26 AM)
Microsoft should really change their stance on crossplay for FF14. The Xbox server's only is BS on an MMO like this.
Son Of D
(06-23-2017, 12:28 AM)

Well Tabata and his team are working on a new IP. Nomura's on 6 different things at once it seems.
Mihael Mello Keehl
Banned
(06-23-2017, 12:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Zen Mu

He's already answered this multiple times before. Cross play on Xbox (as of now) requires the games to have the option for Xbox gamers to turn it off essentially and play only with other Xbox players (basically Xbox only servers). This has been the hold up for 2 years now. They tried to get the game on XB1 immediately after the PS4 version was released, but they are not willing to do Xbox only servers in addition to the regular ones (and it makes zero sense for an MMO).

Can't blame it on Sony every time.

When did they say that?
Fedemgsuy
(06-23-2017, 12:39 AM)

Until Sony gets their head out their asses your friends will be waiting forever.

Huh?
Kayant
(06-23-2017, 12:40 AM)

Originally Posted by gtj1092

So now no cross play on FF14 is Sony's fault when we have had direct quotes stating the issue has been on MS side?

People seem to forget Sony console crossplay issue is separate from an MS policy issue.

This is something that will happen time to time as said in the OP each manufacturer has policies/requirements for crossplay to be enabled.
Eolz
(06-23-2017, 12:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Kayant

People seem to forget Sony console crossplay issue is separate from an MS policy issue.

This is something that will happen time to time as said in the OP each manufacturer has policies/requirements for crossplay to be enabled.

For MS, it seems to be that Xbox players choice policy causing the issue (at least it was in the past apparently).
For Nintendo, I doubt it's more than their online service not being ready yet, and a patch issue probably. Because their official statement is:

GamesBeat: Even Minecraft, though. Microsoft comes to you guys and says it can do crossplatform multiplayer, and Nintendo agrees immediately?

Charlie Scibetta: If it’s right for gamers, we’re going to entertain it. If we can make it work, we’re going to do it.

Zen Mu
(06-23-2017, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

When did they say that?

He mentioned the server thing last year, was either a live letter or interview.

Here's a quote from a Polygon article that popped up when I tried to google and find it. This was from June of last year right after MS started talking about cross play.

"Microsoft actually approached the Final Fantasy 14 team about the cross-platform opportunity," Yoshida told Polygon. "When our team reviewed the regulations that are associated with that, we realized that Microsoft may not have the experience or understanding of running an MMORPG as an online game genre just yet. The Final Fantasy 14 team has fed back to Microsoft that there are certain elements of its regulations that we would have to consider waived. We're waiting on Microsoft's response for that, but we are having discussions."

Artcle link
The Last Wizard
(06-23-2017, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Fedemgsuy

Huh?

Haven't you heard? The ball is in Sony's court.
Guess Who
Banned
(06-23-2017, 12:55 AM)
have you folks considered that not every fucking thing has to be a console war argument and that both sony and microsoft are, in different ways and for different games, each responsible in part for not allowing completely interoperable crossplay between their platforms