• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As this generation winds down, are you buying games just because you can?

Tiktaalik

The other day I bought God Hand. There were three reasons for doing this: one, I've heard it's a great game, two, it was on sale, and three, it was the last copy. It's still in it's original packaging, and I'm not going to be able to get to it for a while, but I bought it anyway. The reason is, or at least how I justified it, was that I look around and everyone is blowing out their games in a rush to clear their shelves for PS3, Xbox 360 and the Wii. Already if you look at Best Buy, their Gamecube section is limited to a small handful of games, and it won't be much longer until that section and the Xbox section is dropped completely.

Right now I see stores everywhere getting rid of their products as fast as they can, and so I have the Fear. Not the MGS3 variety, but the fear that I won't be able to buy the last gen games that I haven't gotten around to yet, and that they'll simply disappear. I'm scared that in a few months I'm not going to be able to find them again, outside of maybe getting lucky at a flea market somewhere.

Is anyone else feeling the same thing? There aren't too many retailers that feel like keeping old stock around. EB and Gamestop are too small to be able to keep last gen stock , and larger stores like Best Buy don't seem to think there's any point in it. At this point, in my town, it's rare to find any Dreamcast games around and I would even say it's rare to find good PS1 games around. The gaming retailing industry has a bad habit of getting rid of their stock quick, and I feel like I lost out in the PS1/DC gen by not getting some of the games I wanted, and now they're seemingly impossible to find.

So as a result, even though I don't have the time to play these games yet, I've bought them anyway just so I won't find myself in a situation where I can't buy them.

Games I've recently hastily purchased out of fear:

Resident Evil 0
Yakuza
God Hand
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Soul Calibur 3
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Games I'm still looking for:

Outrun 2
Outrun 2 Coast to Coast
Psychonauts

Firestorm

I keep buying last gen games online at places like CheapAssGamer because it's so cheap and I missed so many games. I've finished most of the GCN library except for 2 or 3 titles because I had it since 2001. However, I didn't get a PS2 until March 2006 and only played one game on it (Tales of the Abyss) since I was so busy finishing GCN games. I didn't have an Xbox so now that I have a 360 I am trying to finish the 5 or 6 Xbox games I was interested in.

I've got all the Xbox games I wanted to play except Ninja Gaiden Black. After I finish those and the GCN games, I'll get on to PS2 and next-gen (I own Wii + 360).

atomsk

Party Pooper
there's stuff i know i'll buy because it's end of gen, because of small print runs, and because i enjoy the games.

Tiktaalik said:

Outrun 2
Outrun 2 Coast to Coast
Psychonauts

Fry's has those games easily available and for cheap. I've also been buying ps2/xbox games like there's no tomorrow. I'm not really concerned about the games disappearing here in LA though, since there are quite a few shops that cater to older games. I can even go in to one and buy any of the older systems/games. They even have rare games easily available like MvC2(first print). Of course, the rare game prices are a bit high, but not as bad as some of the ebay/amazon prices I've seen.

sphinx

the piano man
the gamnig stores usually suck for game availability. This happens not just with last gen games.

in my local store there is always this 1 copy of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and I always think I should buy it but I DO NOT own a DS!!

I always think " C´mon don't be that insane and let it go"

and never buy it

by the time I buy a DS maybe on nov 2007, the game will have the usual portable castlevania status, out of print, 35-40 bucks on ebay >_<.... it annoys me.

MoxManiac

Tiktaalik said:
The other day I bought God Hand. There were three reasons for doing this: one, I've heard it's a great game, two, it was on sale, and three, it was the last copy. It's still in it's original packaging, and I'm not going to be able to get to it for a while, but I bought it anyway. The reason is, or at least how I justified it, was that I look around and everyone is blowing out their games in a rush to clear their shelves for PS3, Xbox 360 and the Wii. Already if you look at Best Buy, their Gamecube section is limited to a small handful of games, and it won't be much longer until that section and the Xbox section is dropped completely.

Right now I see stores everywhere getting rid of their products as fast as they can, and so I have the Fear. Not the MGS3 variety, but the fear that I won't be able to buy the last gen games that I haven't gotten around to yet, and that they'll simply disappear. I'm scared that in a few months I'm not going to be able to find them again, outside of maybe getting lucky at a flea market somewhere.

Is anyone else feeling the same thing? There aren't too many retailers that feel like keeping old stock around. EB and Gamestop are too small to be able to keep last gen stock , and larger stores like Best Buy don't seem to think there's any point in it. At this point, in my town, it's rare to find any Dreamcast games around and I would even say it's rare to find good PS1 games around. The gaming retailing industry has a bad habit of getting rid of their stock quick, and I feel like I lost out in the PS1/DC gen by not getting some of the games I wanted, and now they're seemingly impossible to find.

So as a result, even though I don't have the time to play these games yet, I've bought them anyway just so I won't find myself in a situation where I can't buy them.

Games I've recently hastily purchased out of fear:

Resident Evil 0
Yakuza
God Hand
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Soul Calibur 3
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Outrun 2
Outrun 2 Coast to Coast
Psychonauts

You made the right choice. God Hand is so awesome it's amazing a mortal console system can contain it's awesomeness.

Firestorm said:
I keep buying last gen games online at places like CheapAssGamer because it's so cheap and I missed so many games. I've finished most of the GCN library except for 2 or 3 titles because I had it since 2001. However, I didn't get a PS2 until March 2006 and only played one game on it (Tales of the Abyss) since I was so busy finishing GCN games. I didn't have an Xbox so now that I have a 360 I am trying to finish the 5 or 6 Xbox games I was interested in.

I've got all the Xbox games I wanted to play except Ninja Gaiden Black. After I finish those and the GCN games, I'll get on to PS2 and next-gen (I own Wii + 360).

so all you owned last gen was a gamecube? i will shed tears for you.

JB1981

yeah, pretty much. i just bought killzone and mercenaries used because they were so cheap and i never got around to playing them. PS3 BC rocks.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Is it me or weekends seem to encourage introspective threads? Like "How my god I'm spending too much money on games and I don't even enjoy them anymore..."

I'm not a collector maniac but as someone who loves videogames there are certains games that I just want to OWN. That might be just to give some money to the devellopers (OK I admint I bought the PS2 KOF just to get rid of that guilty feeling after playing their games on emulators for years) or just for the sake of it (WOOOOT ICO for 9 euros!?!?!?)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i went through my "buying games because i can" phase a couple years ago. and my ps2/gc/xbox/gba backlog is so enormous that i'll never even open all of those games. at least i got most of them for $5-$10 at clearance sales.

sphinx

the piano man
Barry Lightning said:
so all you owned last gen was a gamecube? i will shed tears for you.

Gamecube was all I owned last gen. I have 35 games, all of which have been played at least 1 time through and I am still to get many games.

believe me, I and many gamecube-only gamers don't need anyone's pity and tears.

gamecube was not a saturn or game gear, you know. It actually had a great amount of games.

Tain

If a game is really cheap ($10 max) and I know it's something I'll want to play at some point, I'll buy it for my backlog. Other than that, I don't really purchase on a whim like that. Not anymore, at least.

Boerseun

Banned
sphinx said:
Gamecube was all I owned last gen. I have 35 games, all of which have been played at least 1 time through and I am still to get many games.

Same here. I own about 90 Gamecube games.

AniHawk

Not really. I've sorta picked up all that was rare and interested me already (like Rez, Ikaruga, and Gitaroo Man). There may be a couple like Baten Kaitos Origins and Bully that I'll get years down the line for the hell of it though.

stonedwal

I snapped up about 20 Xbox games in the space of three months last year due to runout sales. Gradually working my way through them, but there was an element of "I should buy this because it was well received, even though I don't really like it" (Splinter Cell series, though I admit I am enjoying Chaos Theory which was a surprise). I've just got to re-buy Panzer Dragoon Orta, Deathrow and Ninja Gaiden Black and my Xbox collection is complete.

I've got about 15 games on the list for both the PS2 and GC, but I don't know if I will go to the effort of tracking them all down. Acquired most of the games that I'd be worried about missing, so there's no rush.

mCACGj

I want to, but some games are still too damn expensive. PN03 I saw for like 25$, Ikaragu for 30$, and I want Okami, but I just keep arguing with myself. I will be getting Chulip, however.

sphinx

the piano man
mCACGj said:
I want to, but some games are still too damn expensive. PN03 I saw for like 25$, Ikaragu for 30$, and I want Okami, but I just keep arguing with myself. I will be getting Chulip, however.

I don't know if you are into ebay buying but I saw this yesterday, this is a somewhat better deal:

PN03 for 20 bucks, shipping included

according to my own experience

.- very fast shipping
.- reliable seller

and considering PN03 is out of print, I don't know if you'll get a better deal for a new one.

EDIT:

WOAH, anyone wanting PN03 for $7.50 (shipping included ) should check this out

Ebay PN03 auction

my last Xbox game was Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
my last GC game was Shadow The Hedgehog
just to give you an idea the last time I bought a game for Xbox and GC

for PS2, I bought fewer games in 2006 then previous years, just MGS3: Subsistence, God Hand, GTA:LCS, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology and Capcom Classics Collection 2

(2006 was a major year for the PSP for me)

my final PS2 games will be none other then: God Of War II next month

i don't foresee buying anymore PS2 games unless there are more Arcade Compilations released.

PS3 has me pumped up for Sonic, VF5, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, MGS4, DMC4 and some PSN games.

Wii will be my alternate console when I get it, looking forward to Sonic Secret Rings and Mario Galaxy

Best time to buy games. Most of the games on my list to buy on PS2 are $20 (with the rest hitting $20 very soon). It's also possible to get GC/Xbox systems fairly cheap with 95percent of their game libraries at $20 or less. if i see a deal...instant buy.

I kind of wanted to play From Russia With Love after rewatching the movie, but when presented the option of renting it for $9 or whatever retarded fee Blockbuster is charging these days, or buying it for $12, I bought it. I saw Baten Kaitos at Toys R Us for $5, and bought it just because it was freakin' $5. The same with SSX 3. Never played an SSX game, not a real snowboarding fan, but $5.

lucius

I'm finding many good deals on xbox and ps2 games I picked up recently:

xbox:
HL2
Red Dead Revolver
Halo(I rebought this game)

Ps2:
ZOE2
GT3(rebought)
Prince of Persia(rebought)
Okami
Splashdown
Sly2
Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Parappa 2
RE4

I plan on getting a bunch more while the deals are good, it stinks it is such a pain finding PS1 games now unless you wanna play 70-100 for some of the good ones.

Safe Bet

Banned
The only single-player games I've paid more than $20 for recently is RE4 and GTA:SA, so needless to say I've got a ton of last-gen games to pick up when the price gets right.

Haunted

Exypher said:
I can't even remember the last time I bought a game.
Pirate.jpg
?

I buy games I'd usually not buy only if they're really cheap - does that count? :)

Top Bottom