• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The I bought the DVD/Blu-ray/4k disc and don't want the digital code give away |OT|

Syriel

Basic thread rules:

1) NO BEGGING.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that. People giving stuff away are doing everyone else a favor. If you really want something, the B/S/T Thread is an option.

2) Givers set the rules.
Givers can do random drops, they can require you to post funny stuff, or they can just use Modbot.
(*)The only exception to Rule 2 is region/service related. Givers should list the region/service that the code applies to so people don't try to claim a code they can't use.

NOTE: Modbot use is optional. Givers DO NOT HAVE TO USE MODBOT if they don't want to. Complaining that someone didn't use Modbot falls under Rule 4.

3) No off-site contests.
This is a place for GAF users to share codes and/or direct links to free movies and TV shows. This is not a place to promote other sites with "sign up for a chance to WIN" spam.

4) Be cool to each other.
This means no whining about the types of codes given out or the method in which they are given out.

5) NO BEGGING.
See Rule 1.

--------------------------------------------------

Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, let's get down to why you're here.

What is this thread all about?
This is a continuation of the The I bought the DVD/Blu-Ray and don't want the digital version give away thread that was originally started back in 2013 by XxSlasherMcGirkxX. Over the past four years the thread has grown in popularity and grown from a basic giveaway thread to one that also serves as a resource for digital movies and TV shows here on GAF.

As a result, the community decided to "reboot" the thread, with a new OP that both consolidates the rules and provides an overview of basic information on the various storefronts and how they work.

What is ModBot?
ModBot is a GAF posting bot that you can use to give away games or anything else to your fellow users. You are not obligated to use ModBot, feel free to use other giveaway services or none at all. But it can save you time and keep your keys safe. If you post game keys in a thread, they will be immediately and anonymously claimed, most likely by people who do not have GAF accounts. The thread will become a derail as users with accounts try to claim the keys and find they are already taken. Then, you will have to edit out your post to reflect this fact. ModBot saves you the trouble.

With a ModBot giveaway, after one quick private message to ModBot, you have a secure, encrypted way to give away your games, see who claimed them, and apply rules to restrict winners to certain categories of user. ModBot will automatically edit out games as they are claimed. It is public, fair, accountable, and easy to use.

Modbot was created by Stumpokapow.

Learn how to use Modbot here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858592

Why can't I buy, sell, or trade here in the thread?
Because there is already a thread for that. And because the point of this thread is to give away codes that you don't need. It's totally cool if you want to make some $$$ off your codes. This just isn't the thread for it.

What other threads are there like this on GAF?

DIGITAL PLATFORMS vs DIGITAL STOREFRONTS

Before you start collecting digital codes, you should understand the difference between digital platforms and digital storefronts. Platforms are the back end that manage digital rights lockers, while storefronts are where you will redeem codes and watch your content.

Some places serve as both, while other sites serve as one or the other.

DIGITAL LOCKER

A digital locker is the master record of what content you are licensed to use. A single storefront can be linked to multiple digital lockers, depending on licensing agreements. An example of this is the VUDU service, which links to both DMA and UV digital lockers.

Thanks to Caddywompus for creating the banners in the OP FAQs.

Syriel

mKIVTRD.png

Ultraviolet (or UV) is currently the "big dog" on the block when it comes to digital locker services. It is the closest thing to a standard, and the platform that has the most studios participating. If you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray that includes a digital code chances are good that it will be a UV code. The major exceptions to this are Disney films (as Disney has its own digital locker service called Disney Movies Anywhere) and small indie releases, like Transformers: The Movie from Shout Factory which uses VHX.

Ultraviolet is a multi-region digital locker which allows your films to be redeemed, and viewed, across multiple providers. This includes moving internationally, with some minor caveats, mostly around films that have different titles in different regions.

For example, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone has a different UV title id than Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, even though they are the same film. In order for a title in your locker to be watched on a given storefront, that storefront must have the rights to show that specific title. So, in this case, if you were an American who redeemed the Harry Potter collection in the US and then moved to Europe, all of the films would transfer over to EU storefronts, except the first. The same would be true of someone in Europe who then moved to the US.

NOTE: Only movies with different names seem to have different title ids. Audio tracks and subtitle options are based on the local encode provided by the storefront you use, so studios usually use the same title id across the globe if the title itself doesn't change.

Are UV codes region coded?
UV codes are region coded on redemption, but not on playback. Once a UV entitlement is in your UV locker, it's yours.

Can UV codes have multiple regions assigned?
Yes. UV codes can be assigned one region, or multiple regions, for redemption. That said, the only GUARANTEED way to redeem a code is to redeem it in the country that it was sold in. You should always assume a UV code is single region.

What regions does UV support?
  • 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
    Australia
  • 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png
    Austria
  • 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png
    Belgium
  • 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
    Canada
  • 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
    France
  • 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
    Germany
  • 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png
    Ireland
  • luxembourg.png
    Luxembourg
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
    Netherlands
  • 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
    New Zealand
  • 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
    Switzerland
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
    United Kingdom
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
    United States

Can I redeem a code more than once?
You may have heard about some bugs in the past that allowed this, but none of those were intentional. UV codes are intended to be used once, and that's it.

That said certain titles which say "UV and iTunes" offer redemption on both services and HBO offers multiple service redemption. These are the exception, and not the rule.

Does UV support HD? 4K? How do I know what I'll get with a code?
UV supports SD (480p), HD (1080p), and 4K. Generally the code redemption matches the type of disc that you purchased.
  • DVD = SD code
  • Blu-ray = HD code
  • 4K Blu-ray = UHD code
NOTE: The "catch" with this is around the 4K codes. Not all storefronts support redeeming 4K UV codes, so if you are redeeming a 4K code, you should do it at the corresponding STUDIO site and NOT your storefront of choice.

Check this Google doc for updated information on specific 4K code redemption:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsJkCX4DIv2oeCKQ7zp2ArkR1qKEXCUuCMBbUtHtmh4/

Where should I redeem my UV code?
If you got your code on a slip with a disc, redeem it at the site listed on the code slip. If you got a UV code from this thread, your first stop should be the official UV redemption site:
https://www.myuv.com/redeem.

The redemption site will recognize most UV codes and then have you click through to the final redemption site to confirm the redemption.

How can I check if a UV code is valid without redeeming it?
You can validate the code without redeeming it at
https://www.myuv.com/redeem.

What are the studio redemption sites?
NOTE: This is currently a list of US links. Most of these sites will re-direct to the local version based on your IP address.

Do UV codes expire?
Technically, all UV codes have an expiration date, so use-em-or-lose-em. That said, expiration dates are generally more of a liability thing than a strict thing and many codes are still valid (assuming no one has redeemed them) after the stated expiration date on the code slip. So if you have an old code, just try it.

How can I watch my UV movies and TV shows?
Once a code is in your UV locker, you need a UV storefront to via your content. This can be accessed via the web or via an app on your phone, set-top box, or game console. Some of the studios offer additional content for their movies if you use their specific app, while more general storefronts serve as a one-stop-shop.

While you can view a list of what you have in your UV locker on pretty much any app, you can only PLAY content that was either purchased on a specific storefront, or is currently licensed for that storefront. If you cannot play a specific title on your storefront of choice, it will point you to the platform where you can play it.

A list of various UV storefronts and apps is included below, with more detailed information on three of the bigger choices following.

7yUQ1GR.png

VUDU is generally the best-in-class player and it is the ONLY storefront to use if you collect UV and DMA movies. No other storefront fully supports both UV and DMA.

VUDU has an easy-to-navigate storefront, good quality encodes (including Dolby Atmos support on most 4K streams), and a plethora of playback clients. VUDU's weakest points are library navigation (for those with large collections) and the decision to not display UV titles in your collection that it does not have the license to play. Two standout features are support for Instawatch (which offers a second digital copy) and the disc-to-digital program.

How do I redeem codes on VUDU?
Redeem Movie Credits here: https://my.vudu.com/redeem.html?pn=moviecredits
Redeem UV and DMA codes here: https://my.vudu.com/redeem.html

Is VUDU really the best option for UV playback?
If you're in the US, yes. It's not perfect, but it is the best choice available.

Can I use VUDU outside the US?
Nope. Not officially. VUDU blocks playback from non-US IP addresses. That said, you can use DNS services to get around that block.

What devices does VUDU support?
  • Android devices
  • Blu-ray players (a lot of them)
  • Chromecast
  • iOS devices
  • PlayStation 3
  • PlayStation 4
  • Roku
  • Smart TVs (various models)
  • VUDU Spark
  • Web browser
  • Windows 10 app
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox One

VUDU Spark? WTF is a VUDU Spark?
It is a TV stick (like the Amazon Fire Stick, Chromecast, etc.) that only plays VUDU. Yes, it's as stupid as it sounds, and is no longer actively produced, but you can still find them.

Does VUDU support 3D?
Yes, but UV doesn't. If you buy a 3D Blu, your code will only get you the 2D digital copy. VUDU currently only sells 3D movies in a bundle with the 2D version, so if you buy the 3D version from VUDU, you'll get the UV enabled 2D copy as well.

Why does the box art on my movies change every now and then?
Someone at VUDU has a box art fetish. We can't really think of any other explanation. It just happens and you have to deal with it.

What is Instawatch?
It's a Wal-mart promotional thing. VUDU is owned by Wal-mart and Wal-mart wants to keep selling physical media, while promoting its digital storefront. So, if you buy an Instawatch enabled disc from VUDU (fulfilled by Wal-mart.com), from Wal-mart.com, or from a Wal-mart store, you get a digital copy direct from VUDU. This is separate, and in addition to, the digital code that comes packed in with the disc. You can either sell the spare code or give it away here, in this very thread.

NOTE: If you purchase a UHD disc from Wal-mart, the corresponding Instawatch code will likely be in HD. You will need to use the code inside the case to redeem for the UHD copy of the film.

What is Disc-to-Digital?
This is VUDU's program to allow you to convert existing discs to digital copies on the cheap. The "physical" version requires you to download an app for your computer and physically put the DVD or Blu-ray disc in your drive for verification. The "mobile" version requires you to scan a UPC code on your phone or tablet with the VUDU app for verification.
  • DVDs cost $5/ea to covert to 1080p digital.
  • Blu-rays cost $2/ea to covert to 1080p digital.
  • D2D titles are UV enabled, and will port to your UV locker so they are available for viewing on other storefronts.

What limits are there on the Disc-to-Digital program?
  • [Physical / Mobile] It doesn't work for brand new movies. It must be a catalog title that is D2D approved. You can search for D2D eligible titles on the VUDU website.
  • [Physical] Rental discs don't work.
  • [Mobile] Your GPS address must match your CC billing address when you scan a disc.
  • [Mobile] There is a limit of 100 conversions per year.

If I'm normally outside the US, but I visit for work/fun/etc., I can use D2D to convert a bunch of movies and then watch them on another UV storefront when I'm back home?
Yes. You can do that.

Does VUDU allow downloads of movies or TV shows?
Yes, but in a limited fashion. The app must support it and all downloads only work in VUDU.

What is the "Movies on Us" program?
This is a selection of movies and TV shows, mostly older titles, that can be streamed for free due to the inclusion of advertising. If you want to remove ads, you can purchase the title. The selections rotate, and include a handful of known films, but the majority of what's here is Crackle quality.

ceMj1WZ.png

NOTE: AS OF 8/28 FLIXSTER IS NO LONGER PROVIDING UV PLAYBACK OR REDEMPTION IN THE US.

Flixster is owned by Warner Bros. and is the single UV service with the largest amount of regional support. Unfortunately, it also has the worst user interface and extremely limited device support for playback. This means it is a good "backup" system to have setup, but you'll likely only use it if you have a movie or TV show that your primary player doesn't support.

How do I redeem codes on Flixster?
Redeem UV codes here: https://www.flixstervideo.com/redeem

What devices does Flixster support?
  • Android devices
  • Chromecast
  • iOS devices
  • Smart TVs (select Samsung models)
  • Web browser

Can I buy or rent movies or TV shows on Flixster?
No. Flixster only supports redemption of codes. You cannot buy or rent movies or TV shows on Flixster.

Can I use Flixster while traveling?
Yes you can. Flixster works great while traveling internationally.

0YglsQ3.png

TalkTalk TV is going to be your default UV provider if you're based in the UK. It doesn't have quite as many features as VUDU does in the US, but it does offer a wide variety of playback options, and a clean store interface.

How do I redeem codes on TalkTalk TV?
Redeem UV codes here: https://www.talktalktvstore.co.uk/ultraviolet

Is TalkTalk TV really the best option for UV playback?
If you're in the UK, yes. It's not perfect, but it is the best choice available.

Can I use TalkTalk TV outside the UK?
It's officially not supposed to work, but it doesn't seem to be currently enforced, so that's a plus for travelers.

What devices does TalkTalk TV support?
  • Android devices
  • Chromecast
  • iOS devices
  • Web browser
  • Windows 10 app
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox One
  • YouView box

Does TalkTalk TV allow downloads of movies or TV shows?
Yes, but in a limited fashion. The app must support it and all downloads only work in TalkTalk TV.

Why are some of my UV titles showing as UNAVAILABLE in TalkTalk TV?
TalkTalk TV does not have licensing agreements with all UV studios.

The following studios support UV playback on TalkTalk TV:
  • 20th Century Fox
  • Sony Pictures
  • Universal Studios
  • Warner Brothers
The following studios do not allow UV playback on TalkTalk TV:
  • BBC Worldwide
  • Lionsgate
  • Paramount

Syriel

7b8SfKb.png

Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) is Disney's digital platform for all of its movies. DMA doesn't have a traditional storefront, in the sense that you cannot purchase any digital movies directly through DMA. You can browse and view your collection via DMA, but if you want to purchase a film, you must go through a linked storefront. Like UV, any storefront that you link to your DMA account automatically syncs all your films. This way you can purchase your Disney films at the cheapest storefront and still get it in your app of choice.

How do I redeem codes on Disney Movies Anywhere?
Redeem DMA codes here:
https://redeemdigitalmovie.com/

What regions does DMA support?
  • United States
No other countries are supported at this time.

But the redemption site lists Canada? What's up with that?
You can redeem codes for Canadian Disney films on the DMA redemption site, but you will only get the option for Google Play and iTunes copies. Disney does not yet support DMA outside the US.

For real? That sucks!
Yes. For real. Given DMA only includes Disney films, it seems silly that it only supports the US. That is the biggest drawback of the current iteration.

How can I watch my DMA movies?
You can link the following storefronts to your DMA account and use them to view your collection. You will always be able to view the main movie. The ability to view extra content is dependent on the storefront or app that you use.
  • Amazon Video
  • Google Play
  • iTunes
  • Microsoft Video
  • Verizon Fios
  • VUDU

What if I want to be sure I see all the extras?
In addition to the partner sites, you can also view your collection, along with all available extras for each film, by using one of the DMA apps or the official website. This is also the only way to view the DMA free content, such as cartoon shorts and promotional clips.

App List:
Official Website:

If the official DMA apps and site are the only way to view all the extras, why would I watch the movies elsewhere?
Disney's official outlets guarantee the most features, but they don't guarantee the best audio/video encode.

As a practical example, DMA on the Roku has a known issue with overly compressed audio in the encodes. Disney has chosen not to supply better encodes for its own app, so if you are using a Roku for playback, you will get a much better experience with the VUDU app.

Another reason is simplicity. If you are heavily invested in either the UV or iTunes ecosystems, you likely prefer to have all of your films visible in one location, rather than switching between apps to view specific movies.

When I go to the code redemption site, FandangoNOW is listed as an option, but you don't have it in the list above. Why not?
FandangoNOW is not a full DMA partner. You can redeem DMA codes at FandangoNOW, but the resulting films are locked into FandangoNOW. They do not sync back to your DMA collection and your existing films do not sync to FandangoNOW.

What are Disney Movie Rewards points?
Disney Movie Rewards (DMR) is the "frequent buyer program" for Disney movies. Every DMA code doubles as a DMR code. You also get DMR points when purchasing DMA movies on a linked digital storefront. If you have a DMA account, you automatically have a DMR account.
  • DVD = SD = 100 points
  • Blu-ray = HD = 150 points
DMR points can be used to claim free Disney DVDs and Blu-rays, as well as other collectible Disney items.

k2JGHF5.png

iTunes is Apple's digital media platform as well as its storefront. It does not support UV, however it does support DMA.

iTunes is the "granddaddy" of digital copies. Back before streaming was a thing, Apple's iTunes and Microsoft's Windows Media Player were competing to offer digital download experiences. iTunes won out over WMP due to a tighter ecosystem, but that same tight ecosystem held it back when UV came about, as providers quickly switched over to supporting UV codes thanks to a wider variety playback options.

NOTE: The following questions apply to iTunes movies and TV shows. Answers for other services may differ.

Are iTunes codes region coded?
iTunes codes are region coded on both redemption and playback. If you plan on redeeming iTunes codes from multiple regions, you will need to have an iTunes account setup for each region that you want to use.

Can I change my iTunes region to redeem a foreign code or buy a movie on a different store?
You can, but changing your iTunes region some with some noted drawbacks. You are better off creating a separate account for each region you want to use.

The drawbacks:
  • Your Purchased section no longer shows items that you purchased from the store in the previous country or region.
  • You won't see the items from your iCloud Music Library that you matched, uploaded, or added from the store in the previous country or region.

View the Apple support page on changing your region:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201389

What regions does iTunes support?
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua & Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahamas
  • Bahrain
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Bolivia
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria
  • Cambodia
  • Canada
  • Cape Verde
  • Cayman Islands
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Dominica
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • El Salvador
  • Estonia
  • Fiji
  • Finland
  • France
  • Gambia
  • Germany
  • Ghana
  • Greece
  • Grenada
  • Guatemala
  • Guinea Bissau
  • Honduras
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Laos
  • Latvia
  • Lebanon
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macau
  • Malaysia
  • Malta, Republic of
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Micronesian, Federated States of
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua
  • Niger
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • St. Kitts & Nevis
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Africa
  • Spain
  • Sri Lanka
  • Swaziland
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • Thailand
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Venezuela
  • Vietnam
  • Zimbabwe

That's a lot of regions.
Yes it is. Not all movies and TV shows are available in all regions, but Apple has been doing this longer than most and it shows.

You can view the full breakdown of region support on this support page:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204411

Can I redeem a code more than once?
ONLY if the code slip states "UV and iTunes." In that case, you can redeem once on both services. If the code slip states "UV or iTunes" you can only redeem on one or the other.

HBO offers multiple service redemption. This is the exception, and not the rule.

Does iTunes support HD? 4K? How do I know what I'll get with a code?
iTunes supports SD (480p) and HD (720p/1080p). It does not support UHD (4K). Generally the code redemption matches the type of disc that you purchased.
  • DVD = SD code
  • Blu-ray = HD code

Where should I redeem my iTunes code?
If you got your code on a slip with a disc, redeem it at the site listed on the code slip. If you got an iTunes code from this thread, you can redeem it directly in iTunes.

How can I check if an iTunes code is valid without redeeming it?
You can no longer do this in iTunes. It is a one-click redeem process.

What are the studio redemption sites?
NOTE: This is currently a list of US links. Most of these sites will re-direct to the local version based on your IP address.

Do iTunes codes expire?
Technically, all iTunes codes have an expiration date, so use-em-or-lose-em. That said, expiration dates are generally more of a liability thing than a strict thing and many codes are still valid (assuming no one has redeemed them) after the stated expiration date on the code slip. So if you have an old code, just try it.

How can I watch my iTunes movies and TV shows?
All iTunes content must be accessed through a device running iTunes. This includes iTunes on OS X or Windows PCs, iTunes on all iOS devices, and Apple TV devices.

FI2J3ZL.png

Amazon Video is Amazon's digital media platform as well as its storefront. Amazon Video does not support UV, however it does support DMA and the purchase of movies and TV shows directly from its catalog.

What regions does Amazon Video support?
  • <need info>

Does Amazon Video support HD? 4K?
Amazon video supports SD (480p), HD (1080p), and UHD (4K).

How do I redeem codes on Amazon Video?
Aside from DMA codes, you generally cannot. No major studio offers digital copy codes for redemption on Amazon Video.

How can I watch my Amazon Video movies and TV shows?
You need a device which supports Amazon Video playback.
  • Android devices
  • Fire OS devices
  • Kindle devices (color screen only)
  • Roku
  • Web browser

Why bother with Amazon Video when there are all these other options out there?
  • If you have Amazon Prime, you get a selection of streaming videos for free (like Netflix).
  • If you collect slow shipping credits from Amazon Prime, it can be a cheap way to acquire Disney movies for your DMA collection.

Cq6qmXP.png

Google Play is Google's digital media platform as well as its storefront. Google Play does not support UV, however it does support DMA and the purchase of movies and TV shows directly from its catalog.

Are Google Play codes region coded?
Google Play codes are region coded on redemption, but have no restriction on playback. Once a Google Play entitlement is in your account, it's yours.

Can I change my Google Play region to redeem a foreign code or buy a movie on a different store?
You can, as long as you have less than $10 USD (or the foreign equivalent) in stored credit on your account. If you have more than $10 USD (or the foreign equivalent) in stored credit, you will have to spend it down before you can change regions. If you are just changing regions to redeem a code, you can change back after you have added the movie or TV show to your account.

NOTE: Google Play movies from different regions have different title ids, so if you do purchase from multiple regions you should ensure that you do not accidentally buy the same movie twice. If you do, you will end up with multiple copies in your Google Play account.

View the Google Play support page on changing your region:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3422659

What regions does Google Play support?

Does Google Play support HD? 4K?
Google Play supports SD (480p), HD (1080p), and UHD (4K).

How do I redeem codes on Google Play?
Redeem Google Play codes here:
https://play.google.com/store?code

Do Google Play codes expire?
Yes. Google Play codes often have HARD expiration dates. If you have them, use them.

How can I watch my Google Play movies and TV shows?
You need a device which supports Google Play playback.
  • Android devices
  • Chromecast
  • iOS devices
  • Roku
  • Web browser
NOTE: You can also watch owned Google Play content on any device that supports the YouTube app.

Why bother with Google Play when there are all these other options out there?
  • If you are invested in the Google ecosystem, it can be convenient.
  • It is very easy to change your region, and add content from other regions to your collection.
  • If you collect Google credit via the Google Opinion Rewards app, it can be a cheap way to acquire Disney movies for your DMA collection.

IhEqeGR.png

Microsoft Video is Microsoft's digital media platform as well as its storefront. Microsoft Video does not support UV, however it does support DMA and the purchase of movies and TV shows directly from its catalog.

Are Microsoft Video codes region coded?
Microsoft Video codes are generally not region coded on redemption, and there is no restriction on playback. That said, major studios generally do not offer digital copy codes for redemption on Microsoft Video outside of rare promotions.

Can I change my Microsoft Video region to redeem a foreign code or buy a movie on a different store?
You can change your storefront on the Xbox One console, and make purchases, so long as you have a valid payment method for the new region's store. This can be done without changing your underlying account region. This works with gaming content, and it allows you to browse foreign video content, but I have not tried to make a video purchase from a foreign store so I cannot say definitively that it would work.

NOTE: Microsoft Video movies from different regions may have different title ids, so if you do purchase from multiple regions you should ensure that you do not accidentally buy the same movie twice.

View the Microsoft Video support page on changing your store region on the Xbox One:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/system-settings

What regions does Microsoft Video support?
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

Does Microsoft Video support HD? 4K?
Microsoft Video supports SD (480p), HD (1080p), and UHD (4K).

How do I redeem codes on Microsoft Video?
Redeem Microsoft Video codes here:
http://microsoft.com/redeem

How can I check if a Microsoft Video code is valid without redeeming it?
You can validate the code without redeeming it at
http://microsoft.com/redeem

Do Microsoft Video codes expire?
Yes. Microsoft Video codes often have HARD expiration dates. If you have them, use them.

How can I watch my Microsoft Video movies and TV shows?
You need a device which supports Microsoft Video playback.
  • Windows Phone
  • Windows 8.x or later
  • Web browser
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox One

Why bother with Microsoft Video when there are all these other options out there?
  • If you are invested in the Xbox ecosystem, it can be convenient.
  • It (may be) very easy to change your store region, and add content from other regions to your collection.
  • If you collect Microsoft credit via Bing Rewards, it can be a cheap way to acquire Disney movies for your DMA collection.

Syriel

EDIT: OP is generally finished.

Feel free to post or PM with suggestions or updates in case I missed anything. :)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I should have a few of these codes laying around. Will give them away when I find them.

glow

Banned
So how do you stream UHD movies after you redeem them at the studio website? Only like 2 studios allow it on UV services like VUDU or Flixster and you need a Sony TV to watch Sony movies on ULTRA.

Wag

So how do you stream UHD movies after you redeem them at the studio website? Only like 2 studios allow it on UV services like VUDU or Flixster and you need a Sony TV to watch Sony movies on ULTRA.

Mostly Vudu because they're the only site that I know of that supports UV and 4k.

kennah

Subbing with a thank you for Ravek. I got John Wick 2 from him in the last thread but wasn't able to get around to redeeming it until today. Watching now while I work!

rjinaz

Mostly, you can't. This feature is still in its infancy. Basically if VUDU offers the movie in 4k, and you redeem the 4k movie, you will own the 4k version. But VUDU currently only offers 4k through certain production companies like Warner Bros. But, UV records that it is the 4k version if you redeem through the specific production company. So hopefully in the future you will get a 4k digital copy for VUDU or elsewhere.

Also there are only certain devices that let you stream 4k on VUDU. The list is growing but includes roku 4 and Vizio TVs. I will say VUDU 4k looks amazing on my 4k Vizio TV and even has HDR.

Also, great thread OP

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Great thread, great guide! Time to sub to this one (since the other will get closed soon, I'm sure.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you have the correct devices for playback, is Flixster in the UK a better choice than talk talk due to better studio coverage? And can I move across titles I already redeemed on flixster to talk talk?

Vudu seems such a crap shoot outside of the US..

Syriel

Thanks for the positive feedback all. If there is any key info that I missed and that needs to be in the OP, just let me know. Hoping it can serve as a solid resource for all.

If you have the correct devices for playback, is Flixster in the UK a better choice than talk talk due to better studio coverage? And can I move across titles I already redeemed on flixster to talk talk?

Vudu seems such a crap shoot outside of the US..

The biggest issue with Flixster is lack of device support. If you're happy doing everything via Chromecast or have a Samsung TV with support, go for it. Otherwise you really need a HTPC to make good use of it.

TalkTalk TV has a clean interface on devices and is easy to use. I don't like that TalkTalk TV defaults to screenshots rather than box art for a collection, but that is more of a personal preference.

Honestly, if you're based in the US, I would do VUDU, w/Flixster as a backup app. If you're based in the UK, I would do TalkTalk TV, w/Flixster as a backup app.

CinemaNow is another UK player option, but I haven't really messed with it since it got sold off by Best Buy and I never really hear about it, so I can't give a solid opinion. Maybe you can do a comparison and report back. ;)

As for syncing across, yeah, that happens right away. Just create the TalkTalk TV account and link it to your existing UV account and everything that can be played will appear as available in TalkTalk TV.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Subbed,

I'll throw out my Logan code when it arrives next week.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Awesome OP, subscribing :)

A ew things of note:
- Vudu "works" outside the US, as long as you have an US IP.
- Amazon Prime Video is everywhere now, but I think Amazon Video is US only. They also had something akin to instant watch for a bit a few years ago, not sure if they still do.
- Google Play content availability by regions.
- DMA every now and then has a free movie promotion when linking to a new provider, so it's a good idea to not link unless you need to :p

rjinaz

Awesome OP, subscribing :)

A ew things of note:
- Vudu "works" outside the US, as long as you have an US IP.
- Amazon Prime Video is everywhere now, but I think Amazon Video is US only. They also had something akin to instant watch for a bit a few years ago, not sure if they still do.
- Google Play content availability by regions.
- DMA every now and then has a free movie promotion when linking to a new provider, so it's a good idea to not link unless you need to :p

That's true, I got Monsters Inc that way. But I think they only do that when they add a new provider. Or at least that seems to be the case as far as I can recall in a while so I'm not sure it's worth holding off on the VUDU connection anyway. But you never know I suppose.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
That's true, I got Monsters Inc that way. But I think they only do that when they add a new provider. Or at least that seems to be the case as far as I can recall in a while so I'm not sure it's worth holding off on the VUDU connection anyway. But you never know I suppose.
Ah, that might be case, I haven't checked it out in a while since I already have everything linked (I got Monsters Inc and Wreck-it Ralph that way, and I know I missed The Incredibles which they gave when it first started).

Symphonia

Banned
I'm UK-based, and with a simple tweak to DNS, I can access and watch VUDU on my Samsung TV. I prefer it greatly over Flixster and TalkTalk. The overall video and audio quality is astounding.

Here we go, I knew I had a few more lying round. I have the breakfast club, zero dark thirty, sing street, lucy, goldeneye, hail casear, jurassic park,the first two purge films, and michael collins!

Top Bottom