• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody else's PS4 starting to become sluggish in the menus?

Zushin

Just noticed the past month or so my PS4 is starting to get annoyingly stuttery when navigating the menus. I'm on the base PS4. Just wondering if anybody else has something similar?

Godcannon

Only when the HDD is getting full or it has been put into rest several times and needs a reboot. After that, nope. I also upgraded to a 1tb 7200 RPM HDD though, which may make a tiny tiny difference.

Zushin

I made this thread the other day
Perhaps it's similar to what you've experienced?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400950
Hmm, the stutter isn't just happening for PSN related things for me. Just navigating any menu. I'll try the rebuild database option.

Only when the HDD is getting full or it has been put into rest several times and needs a reboot. After that, nope. I also upgraded to a 1tb 7200 RPM HDD though, which may make a tiny tiny difference.

I always use rest so I'll reset it when I do the database rebuild.

It stutters mildly in the xmb but that's not a big issue for me.

What is a big issue is in the psn store when I'm scrolling down a list of content and it suddenly goes to the "please wait" screen and resets the damned list.

Zushin

Well rebuilt the database and looks like that helped a fair bit. Still not as smooth as when I got it but a lot better. Thanks folks.

Yeah, this has been happening for the past 6-12 months I believe. Everything loads extra slow. My hard drive is not full. I don't have a lot of games installed. I have a 1TB 7200rpm hard drive installed. I don't understand. It's not as snappy as it once was, that's for sure.

//ARCANUM

I upgraded my OG PS4 to a 2tb drive and yeah it's sluggish in the menu. I have a ton of games installed, but probably half a terabyte free. What's odd is that it's only slow in my account. In my wife's account, it's fine. Anything I can do to speed it up in my account? (I have a bunch of folders filled with games if it makes a difference whereas she only uses her account for Netflix and Hulu and that sorta thing.)

Noticed it tonight. It's definitely a widespread issue so recommending fixes by some here won't work until Sony fixes it on their end. Somethings wonky.

bede-x

Yes, it's definitely getting slower, but that usually happen with modern consoles. PS3 is cripplingly slow to navigate in the store and 360 is not much better. They were both so fast in the beginning.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
its psn, turn off your network and see if it still happens
It's this. Doesn't have anything to do with the HDD.

I had the same question a month ago, tried the suggestion of disconnecting the ethernet cable and everything was smooth again.

Just something we have to live with.

I have my OEM drive still in my Pro and it doesn't studder. When highlighting a game the live bits can take a few seconds to load but otherwise pretty smooth. I have an external drive for all my games.

GenericUser

It's been kinda sluggish from the start, but it doesn't bother me that much. Most of the time, I only start the game I want to play and forget about the menu.

chiba

Yup, thought my ps4 was starting to die. Seems to happen during or after browsing the store. Everything starts loading so slow I have to reboot. Also been getting that "Please wait..." screen alot.

mandiller

Yep. My Pro is kind of laggy and unresponsive on the home menu. I think it's just PSN being slow and it's trying to load in information (like friend list etc).

SenkiDala

I've no problem here. I had a day one PS4 and never got a problem with it, I sold it, now I have a PS4 Pro and still no problem, it's very responsive and fast, and I use it on a daily basis and always online.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Do you all have loads of games installed?

Sometimes I find when you can see the little disc icon in the top right when you power on it can be a bit slow but I gather it's checking for updates.

After that no problems. PS4 Pro here.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Go to "Network" and toggle your connection on/off.

Instant fix.

Sucks you have to do that, but it works immediately every time.

Kazoo

Been happening a ton on my PS4 Pro with a 2TB HDD, quite annoying. Happens frequently when I exit a game in the main menu :/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yep. My Pro is kind of laggy and unresponsive on the home menu. I think it's just PSN being slow and it's trying to load in information (like friend list etc).
No this is just what happens when it's been on... network connection gets weird. Disconnect/reconnect will immediately fix it.

You want to see it get really laggy? Use the browser for a bit... you basically break the PS4. Cannot even load the store. But quickly cycling your network connection fixes it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Since the last patch my PS4 Pro is slow in the XMB and crashes to an error message constantly while I scroll through my game library.

No this is just what happens when it's been on... network connection gets weird. Disconnect/reconnect will immediately fix it.

You want to see it get really laggy? Use the browser for a bit... you basically break the PS4. Cannot even load the store. But quickly cycling your network connection fixes it.

I'm on pro and yes laggy, when it starts, move to my games, move to the apps folders, does it have to do with folders? Never had this issue in my regular ps4, than again I had no folders back then.

Anyhow how does one recycling the Internet?
And what is rebuild data?

KyleCross

Starting to? It always has been for me, both base PS4 and Pro.

What HAS become increasing annoying is the system hanging up when trying to enter the Video category on the main screen. It'll either give me the loading symbols or it is just blank. I either have to reset the system or launch something to finally get the thing to load so I can launch YouTube or Twitch.

For a few months now, yes. I posted about this in another thread earlier today, but basically the thing barely functions after a few cycles of rest mode. I'll turn it on and find it stuck on hulu/netflix/Amazon like I left it, but going to the dash just freezes it for minutes until it crashes.

Sometimes it doesn't crash, but the controller inputs seem delayed; I'll hit the home button, move around the squares a bit to see if it's working, then a few moments later it'll jump back to the app open in the background and everything I pushed seems to input all at once.

General menu navigation seems shitty with or without rest mode, but it does improve when shut down completely.

My earlier post was about my controllers just not responding; in the middle of a game my DS4 stopped working out of nowhere, so I tried all the tricks to fix it (connecting it to the PS4, resetting the controller, holding share/PS buttons, etc.), then tried using all of my other controllers, and none worked. This is the first time that's happened to me with almost daily use since launch, so I figured it was another step in my PS4 breaking down, but it's apparently not that uncommon.

The menu's reliance on so many (near useless) internet 'features' makes it so sluggish. Even if you have baller Internet. It's been terrible for years now.

Menus are a bit sluggish...not sure if its related to psn as the connection has been absolute shit the last week or if its one of those stability updates

Kind of. I find some sections of PS4 (web browser, TV and video, What's New) are slow to load after I've been playing a game. To make them load at usual speed I just log out and back into my profile. That always fixes slow loading for me. I'm on a original launch PS4, btw.

My slim 500gb has been laggy in the menu since the start

Im very dissapointed with this, the ps3 was way better, and the vita miles better

It takes away from the experience and its one factor to why I consider to sell it and get än Xbox x instead..

Im so surprised this has not been fixed. And my HD is Only full by 20% and my Internet connection is 100mbit Cable

The UI has gradually got worse and worse over the last two years.

Why on earth does pressing "TV and Video" now take half a minute to take us to a page full of ads?

Arcteryx

Mine does this pretty regularly. Only solution I've found: fully turn it off once a week/run a DB rebuild.

It seems to me like rest mode is the culprit (majority of posts mention that's what they use).

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Mine was doing this when I had too many items in one folder.

Once I deleted the folder it's since fixed itself.

Starting to? It always has been for me, both base PS4 and Pro.

What HAS become increasing annoying is the system hanging up when trying to enter the Video category on the main screen. It'll either give me the loading symbols or it is just blank. I either have to reset the system or launch something to finally get the thing to load so I can launch YouTube or Twitch.
You can resolve that issue by doing a network connection test in settings. We shouldn't have to do that though.

Top Bottom