• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

chadskin
(07-13-2017, 05:50 AM)

New projects for Goldsman will include Rainbow Six, an adaptation of the Tom Clancy bestseller that focuses on the mercenary John Clark character originated in Clancy’s Jack Ryan novel series. The novel will be adapted by Josh Appelbaum & Andre Nemec, who have been working on the Beverly Hills Cop reboot at Paramount. The 1999 novel revolves around Ex-Navy SEAL Clark, who in the book is named head of an international task force to combat terrorism. The team quickly is confronted by a series of international incidents, making the real threat a group of terrorism bent on global destruction. Sources said loose discussions have taken place with Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds to possibly develop this as vehicle for him to play Clark. Goldsman will produce.

The Clark character has shown up in the Jack Ryan films Clear and Present Danger (Willem Dafoe) and The Sum of All Fears (Liev Schreiber). The studio in the past has tried without luck to turn Clark into a franchise character. Now that Paramount moved the Jack Ryan franchise from films to a TV series that will star John Krasinski, there is a vacancy for a grounded, hands-on action hero. Paramount owns the Clancy series, and the expectation is that in success, Rainbow Six would be followed by the origin tale Without Remorse.

https://deadline.com/2017/07/akiva-g...nt-1202126928/
Jaguar Victory
(07-13-2017, 05:53 AM)
I'm pro Ryan Reynolds
jet1911
I loved the R6 novels when I read them as a teen. I'm in.
KodaRuss
Clark is supposed to be a little older right? I started the book but never finished it. The main Seal is hispanic isnt he?
AllIsOneIsNone
(07-13-2017, 05:54 AM)
Woops. Broken link. Butwhy.gif.
Guerrillas in the Mist
(07-13-2017, 05:56 AM)

Originally Posted by KodaRuss

Clark is supposed to be a little older right? I started the book but never finished it. The main Seal is hispanic isnt he?

Domingo Chavez - he pops up in a few other Clancy books, IIRC.

I think he's even in the Clear and Present Danger film adaptation.
Chumley
Banned
(07-13-2017, 05:57 AM)
This is going to go the same way as that Tom Hardy Splinter Cell movie. As in, it'll never be made.
SinCityAssassin
(07-13-2017, 05:57 AM)
Obligatory, even if I'm for it.

RedRum
(07-13-2017, 05:58 AM)
Jesus christ. Rainbow Six is iconic. Don't fuck this up please.

Wouldn't RR be too young to play Clark though?
Last edited by RedRum; 07-13-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Fury451
(07-13-2017, 05:58 AM)
Clark doesn't have an action role in Rainbow Six though, he's a bit older by that point.

Also this won't see daylight, it's been rumored for well over a decade at this point, almost 20 years.

Also they should really do Without Remorse first, but that story was a product of its time.
Last edited by Fury451; 07-13-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Mushroomer25
(07-13-2017, 06:01 AM)
Since this doesn't seem to be coming from Ubisoft, this has some very likely chances at getting made. Unlike the announced films for Watch_Dogs, The Division, and Splinter Cell - which all seem to be in different stages of development hell.
spazchicken
(07-13-2017, 06:01 AM)
So many memorable characters in Rainbow Six.
kevin1025
(07-13-2017, 06:04 AM)
Unless he's without his helmet/gear for 60% of the movie, it's a waste to cast any massive names in a tactical military unit.
hatchx
(07-13-2017, 06:04 AM)
R6 doesn't seem like it needs a movie.

But neither did Battleship, or Clue.
miller.skippins
Banned
(07-13-2017, 06:06 AM)
Hollywood will be better off with a call of duty movie. At least I remember captain price, soap mctavish, Makarov and 'do everything' Ramirez.

Can't remember a single character in the R6 games.
Fury451
(07-13-2017, 06:07 AM)

Originally Posted by kevin1025

Unless he's without his helmet/gear for 60% of the movie, it's a waste to cast any massive names in a tactical military unit.

Clark's codename is Rainbow Six, and while a participant, he's not on the strike team so much as mission control.
Last edited by Fury451; 07-13-2017 at 06:11 AM.
kevin1025
(07-13-2017, 06:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Fury451

Clark's codename is Rainbow Six, ans he's not on the team so much as mission control.

Ah cool, that could work out better, then. I've always meant to read the book(s), should really get on that!

As you mentioned earlier, it's been rumored a lot over the years. But Paramount really wants more franchises, so this may be the time it happens finally.
Gen X
Trust no one. Eat steaks.
(07-13-2017, 06:13 AM)
It's good to see Ryan Reynolds getting more roles, always enjoyed his acting and thought he was underrated. Even if a few of his movies were average like Green Lantern and RIPD. I think Deadpool did wonders for him.
RandomExpletive
(07-13-2017, 06:14 AM)
I'm picturing like Sicario

Gimme more Benicio del Toro, and I'm in
brianmcdoogle
(07-13-2017, 06:16 AM)
Ryan Reynolds needs to be in my version of Phantasmagoria 3.
Seyavesh

Originally Posted by spazchicken

So many memorable characters in Rainbow Six.

reserve (assault) will always be the real hero of rainbow 6 to me
always

also taking ding chavez out of rainbow six is pretty fucked up imo
Last edited by Seyavesh; 07-13-2017 at 06:18 AM.
v1lla21

Originally Posted by RandomExpletive

I'm picturing like Sicario

Gimme more Benicio del Toro, and I'm in

Damn, that would be amazing.
Leafhopper
(07-13-2017, 06:20 AM)
Ding Chavez or it's a crap movie.
5taquitos
(07-13-2017, 06:32 AM)
Of course Ding will be in it.

...right?
TrumanBurbank
(07-13-2017, 06:34 AM)
Ryan Reynolds? YES

Video Game Movie? NO NO NO
5taquitos
(07-13-2017, 06:35 AM)

Originally Posted by TrumanBurbank

Ryan Reynolds? YES

Video Game Movie? NO NO NO

It's a book movie.
jtb
the walrus
(07-13-2017, 06:36 AM)
How about instead of adapting Rainbow Six (zzzzzzzzzzzz), Ubi makes a Hunt for Red October game.

Make it FTL, but for nuclear submarines.

It's the only good Clancy film anyways.

My ideas are free.

Originally Posted by Mushroomer25

Since this doesn't seem to be coming from Ubisoft, this has some very likely chances at getting made. Unlike the announced films for Watch_Dogs, The Division, and Splinter Cell - which all seem to be in different stages of development hell.

Ubi literally owns the Tom Clancy name. I don't see how any film would be able to be produced without having some level of Ubi involvement, so they'd have to be, on some level, working on it if this is happening.
Last edited by jtb; 07-13-2017 at 06:38 AM.
soundscream
ATTN MEN: visually inspect your condom before disposal
Also GAF's leading millennial
(07-13-2017, 06:37 AM)

Originally Posted by 5taquitos

Of course Ding will be in it.

...right?

No Ding, no dollars!
RoyaleDuke
(07-13-2017, 06:38 AM)
But will he tell if Ding is down?
Seyavesh
(07-13-2017, 06:39 AM)

Originally Posted by RoyaleDuke

But will he tell if Ding is down?

ding is down

zulu go

zulu go

zulu go
5taquitos
(07-13-2017, 06:44 AM)

Originally Posted by jtb

Ubi literally owns the Tom Clancy name. I don't see how any film would be able to be produced without having some level of Ubi involvement, so they'd have to be, on some level, working on it if this is happening.

No they don't, they own "Tom Clancy's" when used for games, which they got when they purchased Red Storm Entertainment.

Ubisoft has no say over the books, movies, or his estate.
RoyaleDuke
(07-13-2017, 06:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Seyavesh

ding is down

zulu go

zulu go

zulu go

Or in the case of the inferior xbox version I originally played, game over. :(
jtb
the walrus
(07-13-2017, 06:49 AM)

Originally Posted by 5taquitos

No they don't, they own "Tom Clancy's" when used for games, which they got when they purchased Red Storm Entertainment.

Ubisoft has no say over the books, movies, or his estate.

Not just for games:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/108901/Ubisoft_Acquires_Rights_To_Tom_Clancy_Name_For_Games_Media.php

"French publisher Ubisoft (Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2) has announced that it has acquired all intellectual property rights to the name “Tom Clancy” from the thriller author.

These newly acquired rights, which help to guarantee an important multi-franchise product for the publisher, extend on a perpetual basis, free of any future royalty payments, and include use in video games and related products including books, movies and merchandising.

"Acquiring the perpetual property rights of the Tom Clancy name for video games and related projects is a major event,” stated Yves Guillemot, Chief Executive Officer at Ubisoft. "The future of our industry lies in our capacity to create and develop brands that captivate consumers and that present a myriad of opportunities for the full spectrum of entertainment, be it video games, books, movies or other media. The Tom Clancy brand is recognized around the world for offering exciting video games, films and books. Capitalizing on the strong franchises that we've built over the past 10 years, we will take the Tom Clancy game brand to the next level of the global entertainment industry."

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the agreement that limited it to just video games. If it was just videogames, they spent way too much money on it.
5taquitos
(07-13-2017, 06:51 AM)

Originally Posted by jtb

Not just for games:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/108901/Ubisoft_Acquires_Rights_To_Tom_Clancy_Name_For_Games_Media.php

"French publisher Ubisoft (Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2) has announced that it has acquired all intellectual property rights to the name “Tom Clancy” from the thriller author.

These newly acquired rights, which help to guarantee an important multi-franchise product for the publisher, extend on a perpetual basis, free of any future royalty payments, and include use in video games and related products including books, movies and merchandising.

"Acquiring the perpetual property rights of the Tom Clancy name for video games and related projects is a major event,” stated Yves Guillemot, Chief Executive Officer at Ubisoft. "The future of our industry lies in our capacity to create and develop brands that captivate consumers and that present a myriad of opportunities for the full spectrum of entertainment, be it video games, books, movies or other media. The Tom Clancy brand is recognized around the world for offering exciting video games, films and books. Capitalizing on the strong franchises that we've built over the past 10 years, we will take the Tom Clancy game brand to the next level of the global entertainment industry."

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the agreement that limited it to just video games. If it was just videogames, they spent way too much money on it.

I didn't know that, thanks. Still, I don't think that applies to the rights to books he already wrote.
OfTheOverflow
(07-13-2017, 06:57 AM)
I'm down for this. Loved the R6 book, finished recently.
Falchion
(07-13-2017, 08:19 PM)
Sounds awesome, I remember reading it in high school and it could definitely make a great movie.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(07-13-2017, 08:21 PM)
Why do they need the Rainbow Six license to make a "shooting up brown folks" movie?
Blam
(07-13-2017, 08:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

Why do they need the Rainbow Six license to make a "shooting up brown folks" movie?

Gonna disregard the second part, but they use it since Rainbow Six/Tom Clancy has some damn good books and using those as reference is always good since it brings more people into the franchise.
Kingpin Rogers
(07-13-2017, 08:25 PM)
"Oh yeah, I love hanging out after a long day on set and just playing some Rainbow Six with my bro's so when I was contacted to star in a movie I knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I wasn't saying no to a series that I am such a massive fan of"

Whether genuine or not something along those lines will be stated in an interview if this turns out to be true.
Glass Shark
(07-13-2017, 08:30 PM)
I'm honestly a little shocked they haven't made a Rainbow Six movie yet. And I really wonder if that Division movie is still in the works.
Peltz
(07-13-2017, 08:32 PM)

Originally Posted by hatchx

R6 doesn't seem like it needs a movie.

But neither did Battleship, or Clue.

R6 was a novel...
Psychoward
Banned
(07-13-2017, 08:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Jaguar Victory

I'm pro Ryan Reynolds

And anti-video game movies.

Edit: novel that spawned a video game series whatever it's gonna be boring.
Vilam
Maxis Redwood
(07-13-2017, 08:44 PM)
Didn't take long for heaps of ignorant hot takes to show up in this thread.

Rainbow 6 was an great novel. Been waiting for that and Red Storm Rising to show up as movies for a long time.
Old Gimlet Eyes
(07-13-2017, 08:47 PM)
Ding, Dieter, Homer, Louis, Popov, Oso, so many characters they can fuck up. Better nail it, especially Ding.
Saucycarpdog
(07-13-2017, 08:58 PM)
He can be Thermite.

And then we get Emily Blunt to be Ash:

Opfor doesn't stand a chance
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
lapdance transform pants
(07-13-2017, 08:59 PM)
I bet he's going to be Mute.
Rymuth
(07-13-2017, 09:00 PM)
Daffoe is Clark ~ accept no substitutes.
Jackpot
(07-13-2017, 09:03 PM)
This is a book movie rather than a video game movie. Should probably move to OT.
Valtýr
(07-13-2017, 09:04 PM)
Rainbow Six is a bad book. It just builds up this unstoppable team, putting challenge after challenge in front of them that they easily tackle. Then the story moves onto the finale and they easily handle that without any issue.

It's so boring, there's no drama or tension at all.
Teknopathetic
Now we can settle this like gentlemen or we can get into some ol gangster shit
(07-13-2017, 09:06 PM)
There'd better be Ding.