• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to do something about AFK in splatoon 2

hollomat

Banned
I've been playing a bunch of Splatoon 2 and noticing the same issue that was present in Splatoon 1. In about 25% or more of the matches I play, at least 1 player is AFK. You can easily tell if someone is AFK since they will be the one at the end with 0p, or 1000p if you win.

I've never seen an AFK rate this high in a multiplayer game. I'm not exaggerating when I say there's one person AFK in at least 25% of the games I play. Hopefully Nintendo does something to address this, but I'm doubtful since this same issue was present in Splatoon 1.

Apart from this though I love the game. But it's really frustrating when I get 1200P, see we lost by a ton and then find out at the end it's because someone was AFK.

Edit: It looks like this is cause by players disconnecting.

Edit 2: AFK = away from keyboard.

lyrick

I've been playing a bunch of Splatoon 2 and noticing the same issue that was present in Splatoon 1. In about 25% or more of the matches I play, at least 1 player is AFK. You can easily tell if someone is AFK since they will be the one at the end with 0p, or 1000p if you win.

I've never seen an AFK rate this high in a multiplayer game. I'm not exaggerating when I say there's one person AFK in at least 25% of the games I play. Hopefully Nintendo does something to address this, but I'm doubtful since this same issue was present in Splatoon 1.

Apart from this though I love the game. But it's really frustrating when I get 1200P, see we lost by a ton and then find out at the end it's because someone was AFK.
report them.

Yeah, let people leave matchmaking before a round. There have been a few rounds I reluctantly played because I accidentally hit continue and don't want to be banned over hard disconnects.

random25

It's not afk for the most part. They got disconnected mid-match. Even if they got disconnected the last second, they will still end up with 0p or 1000p if their team wins despite their effort.

I've disconnected an ungodly amount of times so I'm probably one of the people that is annoying you right now. I stand by my internet provider since no other game gives me problems other than Splatoon 2 right now.

I've been 5 minute temp banned a few times too which is like salt in the wound. I apologize for trying to play my game.

molnizzle

I've disconnected an ungodly amount of times so I'm probably one of the people that is annoying you right now. I stand by my internet provider since no other game gives me problems other than Splatoon 2 right now.

I've been 5 minute temp banned a few times too which is like salt in the wound. I apologize for trying to play my game.

Fix your shit.

WhatNXt

Yeah, let people leave matchmaking before a round. There have been a few rounds I reluctantly played because I accidentally hit continue and don't want to be banned over hard disconnects.

I actually saw IGN or another big site saying if you accidentally press continue to carry on in to another round, idling in the home menu or putting the console to sleep is a good way to get out of a game.

If the game doesn't replace people who do that in the countdown, people should absolutely NOT do that.

I think it might though. I'm guessing this is caused by people bailing or being disconnected mid game or as a stage is loading?

Try to find a way to fix it. No one likes getting banned. But it's also true that no one likes it when a team member doesn't help out cause he disconnects, goes AFK, or just throws the game.

Hopefully something can be done. I had to upgrade my internet to even play Overwatch without any issues.

hollomat

Banned
Well if it's disconnects, I guess the solution is to limit online only to people wiling to pay $20 a year to get access to an app on their phone to chat with others.

Try to find a way to fix it. No one likes getting banned. But it's also true that no one likes it when a team member doesn't help out cause he disconnects, goes AFK, or just throws the game.

Hopefully something can be done. I had to upgrade my internet to even play Overwatch without any issues.
I'd like to know how many other people have issues with this game. I had no issues with the first Splatoon nor with any of the other games I play right now so I'm blaming them 100% I am not culpable the glove does not fit!

Whenever someone has 0 points I feel for them as a fellow brother in arms against the splatoon server menace.

WhatNXt

Have you tried assigning a static IP to the switch via your routers Web login and assigning it to DMZ?

Who is your ISP? Do you use your other consoles wired or wireless?

I'd like to know how many other people have issues with this game. I had no issues with the first Splatoon nor with any of the other games I play right now so I'm blaming them 100% I am not culpable the glove does not fit!

Whenever someone has 0 points I feel for them as a fellow brother in arms against the splatoon server menace.
Uh...ok.

0 problems. Use my phone as a hotspot to play. Works great.

Basically YMMV.

Have you tried assigning a static IP to the switch via your routers Web login and assigning it to DMZ?

Who is your ISP? Do you use your other consoles wired or wireless?

All my consoles are wireless right now.

I'll try those steps you said later tonight. I have Charter Spectrum btw. I do hope I can fix it since I love the game. I've just noticed that there is a LOT of people having issues with the game so I do feel like it's something on Nintendo's end that at the very least isn't helping. I had no issues during the splatfest beta.

Madao

this is annoying on both sides.

if i win against a team where this happened, i feel like we cheated the win
if i lose because of this, i just get mad, especially if my score is higher than anyone from the winning team.

i wonder how people would take if the game booted someone from the opposing team to balance the teams...

I'm one of the afk'ers and it ain't my shit. I've tried to play at least 10 matches tonight and I've only completed two. All the rest of them I'm been disconnected. Immediately when the "Connection is Unstable" message pops up, I hit the home button and I usually have 2 bars. Just tonight after these baffling disconnects I went and played both MK8 and ARMS. Both ran perfectly online for me.

Nintendo needs to do something about Splatoon 2.

hollomat

Banned
I'm surprised so many people never heard of AFK. I thought it was a very well known gaming term. I guess it may not be familiar to you if you're more of a console player than PC player.

The online situation is weird, most of the time it's great, but there are certain times where I'll go on a run of disconnects. Not sure why either, I'm not doing anything different on my end.

hollomat

Banned
The disconnect situation is a huge issue. Nitendo really needs to do something about it if they expect people to pay for online. You don't see these widespread disconnects on Xbox live or PSN but these disconnects were everywhere in splatoon 1 and it seems nintendo hasn't done anything to improve their online infrastructure.

AGITΩ

You can tell AFK Players when they stay at the spawn point the whole match, which I've only seen maybe twice.
DC'd is a whole other issue, especially if you spawn with 1 too few players on your team, then you know it's just a waste of time. Though why they don't just let a CPU take over in the meantime to at least give some even footing is beyond me.

shiyrley

Banned
I haven't got a single disconnect and I play a lot, but I also always play docked with a wired connection and my NAT is type A.

Seik

Banned
I haven't got a single disconnect and I play a lot, but I also always play docked with a wired connection and my NAT is type A.

I got a single disconnect on Splatoon 2 and it's because I accidentaly connected my Switch on my standard Wi-Fi signal that only my friend uses for his old laptop, not the 5ghz one, which works flawlessly.

I'm not T&D genius but if it can help someone, the better!

sonto340

I haven't had a single problem with Splatoon 2's servers, but I think it's hilarious when people tell someone to "fix their shit" when they just mentioned other games on the Switch work perfectly fine. It's a widespread enough complaint that I'm sure the servers are having a little trouble keeping up with demand.
I have faith they'll iron it out eventually.

Persona7

Banned
You have to download the app to get the privilege to report players? Man what a shit show this game turned out to be.

DilWSTS

This game is awesome fun but yes the one thing killing it for me is the amount of 0 pointers etc didnt realise it was disconnects though, thought it was AFK.

watershed

Banned
I haven't run into this issue much. I don't think it's a pervasive issue. If it was the whole internet would be blowing up and Splatoon 2 would pretty much be a broken game.

Yeah, it should be like Smash Bros. where the player is turned into a bot if they disconnect. That way at least teams aren't left without a player.

JoeLT

I'm surprised so many people never heard of AFK. I thought it was a very well known gaming term. I guess it may not be familiar to you if you're more of a console player than PC player.
Online gaming isn't exactly prelevant on Nintendo platforms which would explain it.

I was an AFK player yesterday.

My doorbell rang, so I had to go answer it. When I returned, I was met by a connection-error (although I was likely kicked for not moving).

This behaviour was supposedly "preeetty suspicious" according to Nintendo.

Top Bottom