• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aztez |OT| Actraiser de Sangre del Siglo 15

CazTGG

3O9ylAv.jpg

Developer: Team Colorblind
Publisher: Team Colorblind
Release Date(s):
-- August 1st, 2017 (PC, Mac, Linux)
-- TBA 2017 (PS4, Switch, Vita, Xbox One)
External Links: Official Website
Price: $19.99 USD; $21.99 CAD (Digital) (Currently 10% on Steam)
Platforms: PC, PS4, Switch, Vita, Xbox One
ESRB Rating: Teen for Cartoon Violence & Suggestive Themes
Genre: Side-Scrolling Action/Strategic Simulation

dR4YqMs.png

Aztez is hybrid of beat em' up and turn-based strategic simulation in a similar vein to Actraiser. The goal is the build up your empire before the Conquistadors arrive and kick them out before, well, the Conquistadors do what they're known for to the Aztec. Raise elite warriors known as the Aztez and arm yourself with the unique weapons of the Aztec as you conquer the surrounding land and gather as many resources and items as possible. Be warned that the Conquistadors are not the only threat to your empire, as dissent will arise when times grow dark, drought will ravage your empire and terrifying monsters will arise when darkness befalls the mighty Aztec.

cRFwtaZ.png

How long is this game?

A: A typical round of Aztez will take between 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on how long you choose to venture into the underworld or how many warriors you have and thus actions you can take per turn.

How does weather work?

A: Depending on a number of conditions, the environment will change between normal, drought, rain and darkness. You'll want to get rid of drought and darkness as soon as you can, be it items or missions, as drought will cause your population to decrease (if a city's population decreases to 0, it becomes a ruin) while darkness prevents your empire's population from growing and will see stronger monsters appear in missions. Rain on the other hand is beneficial since it will increase the chances of festivals appearing that will allow you to increase a city's population to the max or earn a large amount of resources that can be used to get items, quell dissent, etc.

About the underworld...

A: Don't bother trying this until you have a firm grasp of the game's mechanics. The underworld can be very rewarding with the items and resources you'll find but it has the toughest non-boss/non-Conquistador enemies in the whole game. In addition, it's recommended that you go in with at least two weapons, one of which should be the spear due to its great range and speed.

What about the Spanish?

A: The conquistadors will arrive late into the game and begin, for lack of a better word, conquering the surrounding territories. If they reach Tenochtitlan, it's game over. You can slow them down with gold that will disrupt their formation or putting a general in a city to slow their movement. Attacking them directly which will have them eventually retreat. You'll want to make sure you're prepared to fight them since they are the toughest enemies in the game and, even if you've gotten a lot of Aztez, you can easily blow through all of them due to their large range and massive damage of their attacks.

Does disease play into the game in any way?

A: Kind of. There are missions where you'll have to quarantine a sick city's population to prevent it from becoming a ruin, but they appear at random, even before the conquistadors appear.

6EQivAL.png

Aztez Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrJLAqRvsCA

Screenshots:
Combat9-768x432.jpg

Empire8-768x432.jpg

Combat3-768x432.jpg

Combat1-768x432.jpg

Gifs:
HuehueCoyotl.gif

WhamBam.gif

TMinus5.gif

Reviews:
ACG: Buy It
Bleeding Cool: 7.5
Caz (Yes, that's me): 8/10
Destructoid: 9/10

CazTGG

Destructoid: 9/10

Aztez is built around replayability, and its combat style is reflective of this. I realized the more I played, the more I got used to the fights and started experimenting with my movements. Each mission places Aztez on a 2D plane, resembling a beat-'em-up arcade title, where you have to fight a variety of enemy types that'll increase in speed and difficulty as more turns pass by. Combat is awesomely fluid since you can switch weapons on the fly (mapping each one to the D-pad) without breaking your combo. For example you could slash an enemy with the standard sword a few times, switch to the Witch's Knife and then attack the ground to push that enemy back with a dark wave of energy. Combat continued to impress each playthrough with grabs, command motions such as aerial launchers, parries, and even more advanced movements I didn't expect like being able to dash into an enemy while striking.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Been playing the game for review this week and yea it is a really solid action game, not all that keen on the strategy portion as it feels a little to parsed down for my tastes. Also, this game needed a dodge roll.

CazTGG

Stealth release! I hear nothing about the game for ages and now it's out lol.

Glad to hear it's getting positive reviews.

Technically, we've known about the release date since late June while the beta test invites were ongoing since late May.

Played about 30 minutes. The combat is really really solid. The right amount of feedback, a great amount of nuance without being overwhelming, silky smooth and responsive, the slick minimalist aesthetic

Not quite sold on the strategic layer, but that's probably because I need to spend more time with it

Karak

Played about 30 minutes. The combat is really really solid. The right amount of feedback, a great amount of nuance without being overwhelming, silky smooth and responsive, the slick minimalist aesthetic

Not quite sold on the strategic layer, but that's probably because I need to spend more time with it

Ya it took me a bit to get settled in to how the game was to be played in both sections.

The feedback is so crunchy, love the sound and particle effects.

Make sure you continue the training to keep on getting advanced combat lessons.

I now totally get ACG/Karak's criticism about the readability. Even though Aztez has outlines while the enemies are dulled out, he can get lost in the mix when you're in the middle of six enemies.

The arena mode is great.

I need to get better at sacrificing people and filling up my blood vials, especially for the fertility missions. It's kind of hard to sacrifice when you got many other enemies, so you got to throw one enemy far away to enough of a distance that you get enough time to sacrifice them.

This game definitely doesn't go the gentleman way of enemies. They will attack you in the middle of a grab or air combo! But when you get the parry, it's so good especially when you change weapons.

Everything just looks so great---the aesthetic is fully realized and the style runs deep into the core of the game.

Definitely deserves to make some serious waves here in the rest of 2017!

mclem

Intrigued, but not really getting that much of an Actraiser vibe from the strategy aspect (But then, I tend not to regard Actraiser's 'strategy portion' as particularly strategic, anyway - more a series of setpiece puzzles dressed up with a strategy overlay)

Ravelle

Played a little bit of it and holy shit it's hard, you game over so fast and enemies are relentless.

Those flying dudes take about 40 to 60 of your health. I probably super suck at it.

Ravelle

Bleeding Cool: 7.5

The mages? They're pretty easy to dodge/parry but that could just be me.

The dudes on ropes or whatever they are, they're ziplining in to you while you're fighting of other dudes and yes I'm not sure how to deal with mages they nuke you to bits while you're fighting guys. I'm still super rusty with the combo system.

The only things I don't like about this game are the fact that counters aren't invincible, and that they also don't break armor on bosses. The game is great otherwise and the developers are open to feedback, so many the few flaws the combat has will be ironed out soon. I finished the game once and still have three weapons to unlock before I can go to town on the arena.

Karak

The feedback is so crunchy, love the sound and particle effects.

Make sure you continue the training to keep on getting advanced combat lessons.

I now totally get ACG/Karak's criticism about the readability. Even though Aztez has outlines while the enemies are dulled out, he can get lost in the mix when you're in the middle of six enemies.

The arena mode is great.

I need to get better at sacrificing people and filling up my blood vials, especially for the fertility missions. It's kind of hard to sacrifice when you got many other enemies, so you got to throw one enemy far away to enough of a distance that you get enough time to sacrifice them.

This game definitely doesn't go the gentleman way of enemies. They will attack you in the middle of a grab or air combo! But when you get the parry, it's so good especially when you change weapons.

Ya love the game but it does suffer a bit there in sort of...getting whats going on lol

CazTGG

I don't have a problem with the game's readability or supposed lack thereof, the game makes it very clear when an enemy will strike via the exclamation points, going so far as to indicate whether it can be block (yellow), parried (yellow or red) or should be outright dodged (red). It's all a matter of timing and never feels unfair or like the game is throwing too much at you.

Top Bottom