• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

dancrane212
(08-09-2017, 12:11 AM)

A little under two years ago we got news that Microsoft was going to shutter the Xbox Indie Games program on 360 with the following schedule.

September 9th, 2015: Users will no longer be able to purchase an annual membership subscription. Any creators who would like to continue active development after September 9th xblig@microsoft.com for free tokens to enable development until September 9th, 2016.

After September 9th, 2016: Creators will no longer be able to publish their titles to marketplace.

Around September, 2017: The Xbox Live Indie Games marketplace will be closed.

Around November, 2017: We will make a final payout to all partners regardless of whether or not they meet the $150 minimum threshold.

There was a quote going around from the head of ID@Xbox, Chris Charla, that Microsoft would "Over the next two years be working with game conservationists and creators to preserve the legacy of XBLIG content" but, as far as I've seen, there hasn't been any news on that front. No BC for Indies announced, no transfer of XBLIG titles to the new Creator's program on XB1 or even news that MS were dropping the mandatory online connection for XBLIG titles.

Is there no hope of those titles coming forward in any way? It would be disappointing to see things like the only console ports of Flotilla, the Zeboyd RPGs, the Mommy's Best Games titles, or the numerous games still exclusive to the service become unavailable for folk to pick up especially when Microsoft has been such a big proponent of backwards compatibility.
Gestault
(08-09-2017, 12:14 AM)
I have 20+ games, and while I've definitly gotten my money's worth, it's shitty that a sub-platform is going black (including people's purchases). Last I'd known, these games still require an active internet connection to play.

I would be ecstatic to see these carry over to XB1 via a BC solution.
bede-x
(08-09-2017, 12:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Gestault

I have 20+ games, and while I've definitly gotten my money's worth, it's shitty that a sub-platform is going black (including people's purchases). Last I'd known, these games still require an active internet connection to play.

This is why the original Xbox One vision was so dangerous.

A shame to see these games just wiped off the face of the earth. They could at least patch in an offline mode :(
LoudCore
(08-09-2017, 12:24 AM)
There were lots of good and bad games on that store, I enjoyed wasting a dollar or two on a ridiculous game back then. Not so much now though.
SuperBonk64
(08-09-2017, 12:32 AM)

Wait what? Hell no! I cherish my prized indies!
Jrs3000
(08-09-2017, 12:40 AM)

There's still time for a announcement on what will happen when it is shut down(if they keep with that plan). Lets wait a month and see.
Apdiddy
(08-09-2017, 12:42 AM)
So if I understand this correctly, even if I have the game downloaded and saved on my 360, it still won't launch? Or am I misunderstanding this?
Santiako
(08-09-2017, 12:46 AM)
I swear to god if no one preserves or rereleases Qoccer I will kill someone.
Emperor Bohe
(08-09-2017, 12:48 AM)
quick, everyone list their must buys
tamaster92
(08-09-2017, 12:51 AM)
Always loved IMAGWII & avatar drop

Would suck if all these games just disappeared
dancrane212
(08-09-2017, 12:53 PM)
At least with respect to Mommy's Best Games and Zeboyd it appears Microsoft never reached out.

@MommysBestGames

No one has ever contacted me. I'd love it if they simply lifted the 'internet required' part of playing XBLIGs.

@bill_at_zeboyd

Not that I'm aware of

LewieP
(08-09-2017, 12:56 PM)
Have a missed a more definitive statement on whether already purchased titles can be downloaded, and whether already installed games will still be payable?
Keinning
(08-09-2017, 12:57 PM)
if you know how BC is done you would never expect it to be done to every single XBLIG game out there, it's insanely absurd

Hope they just patch the internet requirement out and let people who had the games play them offline though. Stop bothering Major Nelson about NGII and go bother Charla about this, folks
dancrane212
(08-09-2017, 01:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Keinning

if you know how BC is done you would never expect it to be done to every single XBLIG game out there, it's insanely absurd

Not saying it should happen for every title (as great as that would be) but allowing a developer or the XBLIG community itself to test if a game is compatible with the emulation tool would be great.
@MUWANdo
Banned
(08-09-2017, 01:02 PM)

Originally Posted by LewieP

Have a missed a more definitive statement on whether already purchased titles can be downloaded, and whether already installed games will still be payable?

They've said absolutely nothing since their incredibly vague statement two years ago.
Keinning
(08-09-2017, 01:02 PM)

Originally Posted by dancrane212

Not saying it should happen for every title (as great as that would be) but allowing a developer or the XBLIG community itself to test if a game is compatible with the emulation tool would be great.

Sure, let the creator of "I made this game in five seconds" test the 360 emulator to see if he can port it to the X1
Watch the emulator leak to the public faster than those five seconds anyway
Microsoft is never giving every person out there access to their emulator and you know it.
LordRaptor
(08-09-2017, 01:03 PM)
Microsofts handling of XBLIG is honestly a shameful black mark, and its doubly shameful to see it continue to be swept under the carpet like it never existed.

e:

Literally every XBLIG game was made in XNA, a framework entirely created by MS in the first place.
If completely independent developers with no access to the original version of XNA can completely recreate it in such a way that it then works on every modern platform (IOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux) MS can indeed emulate XNA and have it run on an Xbox One.
Crankshaft
(08-09-2017, 01:04 PM)

Maybe they could pull a Game Room app but instead of old atari games its Indies. That way its one emulator instead of multiple copies.
dancrane212
(08-09-2017, 01:06 PM)

Yes.

In September 2017, we’ll stop selling XBLIG games, close the store and pay out all money earned by developers. Of course, players will still be able to re-download games they own and continue to play the games they own.

Sure, let the creator of "I made this game in five seconds" test the 360 emulator to see if he can port it to the X1
Watch the emulator leak to the public faster than those five seconds anyway
Microsoft is never giving every person out there access to their emulator and you know it.

The community testing worked well enough for MS to use it to determine if a game was fit to be published on the service. Yes there would have to be a limitation on how one would access the emulator but I still think it would be possible to do, securely, if given enough resources.
LewieP
(08-10-2017, 07:01 AM)

Originally Posted by dancrane212

Yes.

In September 2017, we’ll stop selling XBLIG games, close the store and pay out all money earned by developers. Of course, players will still be able to re-download games they own and continue to play the games they own.

Great, thanks for that!
dancrane212
(08-10-2017, 01:40 PM)

Great, thanks for that!

Yeah, at the very least it will be better than how PSM shut down.
febLey
(08-10-2017, 01:45 PM)
Very sad :(
Mount your friends is one of the best games that got released there.
Fortunately it's also on Steam now.
sixteen-bit
(08-10-2017, 01:51 PM)
Avatar Fighter Online is way more fun than it has any right to be, especially for a dollar.