• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Cisce
(08-09-2017, 05:59 AM)

Source for both: Protodude from Rockman's Corner on twitter.

Get hyped? Here's hoping that it's not from a cancelled project. Back last year, Capcom asked Japanese fans what new Mega Man game they wanted in a survey included with the original MMLC.

Some extra info from Mellahan:

Originally Posted by Mellahan

Before this blows up, a little background:

That artwork appears in Mega Man 8's Museum in Legacy Collection 2. However, it's NOT from Mega Man 8. At all. The art is too new and it was drawn by Yuji Ishihara, character designer on MMBN, MML and MMSF. In addition to the comments mentioned in the OP, this is a digital piece whereas MM8's concept art is all pencil and ink. It's indeed new.

The theory is, whoever put together the museum saw this - the giant hand - mistakenly believed it was Duo, and put it into MM8's museum. Fans believe this comes from an unrelated project currently in production.

Last edited by Cisce; 08-09-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Whales
(08-09-2017, 06:00 AM)
its capcom

im not getting my hopes up :(
ScientificPizza
why is this collection just a mess haha
disappeared
whoopsie daisy!
TheBaldEmperor
If it's not from a canceled project I bet it will be soon.
vareon
(08-09-2017, 06:01 AM)
Capcom being the Capcommest of Capcom? How did this happen?
ionitron
(08-09-2017, 06:01 AM)
Had a lengthy discussion about this with my boy. I'm hyped, I really hope it means something, and I do love the concept art. It's like when kirby copies an ability and gets a hat.

But....
I won't get my hopes up either ;(
Cisce
(08-09-2017, 06:02 AM)

Originally Posted by ScientificPizza

I imagine that the intern responsible for the gallery won't have a job soon.
Neptonic
(08-09-2017, 06:03 AM)
Capcom is so incompetent at the simplest things
Mellahan
Concerned about dinosaur erection.
(08-09-2017, 06:04 AM)

That artwork appears in Mega Man 8's Museum in Legacy Collection 2. However, it's NOT from Mega Man 8. At all. The art is too new and it was drawn by Yuji Ishihara, character designer on MMBN, MML and MMSF. In addition to the comments mentioned in the OP, this is a digital piece whereas MM8's concept art is all pencil and ink. It's indeed new.

The theory is, whoever put together the museum saw this - the giant hand - mistakenly believed it was Duo, and put it into MM8's museum. Fans believe this comes from an unrelated project currently in production.
Spyder_Monkey
(08-09-2017, 06:05 AM)
Usually when companies do this they're teasing a new game which makes sense considering they just released all the classic series games on modern platforms. On the other hand it's Capcom and they probably put this here by accident.
Cisce
(08-09-2017, 06:05 AM)

That artwork appears in Mega Man 8's Museum in Legacy Collection 2. However, it's NOT from Mega Man 8. At all. The art is too new and it was drawn by Yuji Ishihara, character designer on MMBN, MML and MMSF.

Thanks for the information, mind if I add it into the OP?
Mellahan
(08-09-2017, 06:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Cisce

Thanks for the information, mind if I add it into the OP?

Please do.
Fireblend
No Member
(08-09-2017, 06:06 AM)
That looks like MMBN. Same artist huh?

Screw the 2D platformer games, gimme a new Battle Network, Capcom.
Zurick
(08-09-2017, 06:07 AM)
Normally, I'd be all like

"Accidental... riiiiight"

but given this track record as of late I'll bite.
Eylos
I want to get hyped, but its Capcom, so i will wait, so i dont get disapointed

Megaman Battle Network Changes the appearance

But the design of the art is closer to the original Megaman than the Battle Network.
Last edited by Eylos; 08-09-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Welfare
New Style Mega Man please Capcom.

Now my hopes have risen for a new Mega Man that isn't 8 bit. Oh how crushed I'll be when nothing comes of this.

A new Battle Network would also be fine. I loved those.
ZeoVGM
formerly omg rite
(08-09-2017, 06:09 AM)
I think people are reading into this a bit too much.

Sadly.
Mellahan

Originally Posted by Eylos

But the design is closer to the original, the "ear" from BN is the evidence

It's close because it's done by the MMBN artist. The other theory going around, if this is indeed from an unannounced game, Mega Man himself will take on the appearance of Robot Masters this time around because Capcom ran out of colors.
Azure Dream

Originally Posted by ScientificPizza

This was probably very intentional. It's been 4 years since Mega Man's Smash Bros. design was revealed. It's nice to finally get a hint they're doing something new with Mega Man, not just retro rereleases.
ZeoVGM
formerly omg rite
(08-09-2017, 06:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Welfare

New Style Mega Man please Capcom.

Now my hopes have risen for a new Mega Man that isn't 8 bit. Oh how crushed I'll be when nothing comes of this.

My grand hope is for two separate games: Mega Man 11, the "true" follow-up to Mega Man 8 with beautiful sprites, and Mega Man X9, done in 16-bit SNES-style graphics.
NateDrake
(08-09-2017, 06:11 AM)
Why are people saying it was accidental? Could have been intentional.
TreIII
I mean...it is Rockman's 30th anniversary this year. After completely blowing off his 25th anniversary, and building up so much disdain in the meanwhile, you'd think all that time would've been used to make sure that Capcom had a new game ready to go along with that milestone. Such a thing would showcase that between a new release for all platforms, X & Zero's appearances in MvC:I and a brand new cartoon debuting on Cartoon Network (with an additional mobile game), that Capcom was serious about showing that, yes, Mega Man is back, and in a big way!!!

...but then we remind ourselves. This is Capcom we're talking about here.
HardRojo
Capcom going full Capcpom with this title lol.
Spyder_Monkey

Originally Posted by NateDrake

This is the same company that kept the Licenced by Nintendo statement in a game that wasn't on a Nintendo console.
Eylos
(08-09-2017, 06:12 AM)

It's close because it's done by the MMBN artist. The other theory going around, if this is indeed from an unannounced game, Mega Man himself will take on the appearance of Robot Masters this time around because Capcom ran out of colors.

I mean closer to the original Megaman not BN (Will fix my post), the hands etc
jasminlovesyoux
(08-09-2017, 06:13 AM)
I think this was intentional.
hughesta
(08-09-2017, 06:13 AM)
there's no reason this has to be accidental.
KojiKnight
(08-09-2017, 06:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Whales

its capcom

im not getting my hopes up :(

I want to believe... but it's been too long since something new and I'm not getting any sort of hope up.
Neiteio
(08-09-2017, 06:14 AM)

This is amazing if true. It's like Capcom tries to be incompetent.
@MUWANdo
(08-09-2017, 06:15 AM)

Originally Posted by NateDrake

It seems a little clumsy to be a genuine teaser; if it was calculated, you'd imagine they'd tie the image to an unlock or some other more conspicuous condition than unceremoniously dumping it in a gallery.
Welfare
(08-09-2017, 06:15 AM)

Originally Posted by ZeoVGM

My grand hope is for two separate games: Mega Man 11, the "true" follow-up to Mega Man 8 with beautiful sprites, and Mega Man X9, done in 16-bit SNES-style graphics.

I was expecting X9 back when they announced MM10. Do 10, 16 bit X9, HD Sprite MM11, then an X10 in an HD X8 style with 3D models on a 2D plane.

But noooo Capcom doesn't like money and would rather cancel every new project.
Nightfall
(08-09-2017, 06:16 AM)

Originally Posted by TheBaldEmperor

If it's not from a canceled project I bet it will be soon.

I refuse to get my hopes up. It's either just some concept art for a newer project that never got used or deliberate trolling by Capcom.
Quadraphonic
XBONE Detective
(08-09-2017, 06:17 AM)

Originally Posted by hughesta

there's no reason this has to be accidental.

It's Capcom. It's accidental. When was the last time they surprised the fans in a good way?

I'm still burned from every MMBN game after 3.
Iva Demilcol
(08-09-2017, 06:17 AM)
More Megaman is always a good thing.
Brakke
(08-09-2017, 06:19 AM)
CAPCPOM strikes again.

Definitely has that Battle Network feel. Before the doppelgänger transformations, he had a set of more simple transformations like so:

WarRock
(08-09-2017, 06:20 AM)
Damn, I recognized the BN art style instantly and my heart skipped a beat.
Sandfox
(08-09-2017, 06:21 AM)
I really hope this ends up being something, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I love Ishihara's art though so it's cool to get this at least.
Merc_
(08-09-2017, 06:23 AM)
lol that's quite a fuck up if true.
Mariolee
(08-09-2017, 06:24 AM)
I really fuckin dig this. C'mon Capcom.
Sciz
(08-09-2017, 06:25 AM)
The page as a whole screams "reference sheet for swappable bits of a 3D model". Along with all the other quirks, there's no way it has anything to do with MM8.

With the cartoon coming up soon, I'm not entirely surprised that they actually could have a game in production, but I'm shocked that this doesn't look anything like a cartoon tie-in and is instead a fairly conservative Classic refresh.
TreIII
(08-09-2017, 06:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Sciz

The page as a whole screams "reference sheet for swappable bits of a 3D model". Along with all the other quirks, there's no way it has anything to do with MM8.

With the cartoon coming up soon, I'm not entirely surprised that they actually could have a game in production, but I'm shocked that this doesn't look anything like a cartoon tie-in and is instead a fairly conservative Classic refresh.

If (keyword...) they were smart about it, it would make a lot of sense. The new cartoon was slated to have a mobile game attached to it, so if the idea was to have something for kids and a general demographic to play after getting hooked on the toon, they'd be covered. That would just leave the traditional console space to be covered with a more fitting traditional effort. Capcom wouldn't be putting all their eggs in one basket, and it would be win-win, in theory.
MaximumSpider
(08-09-2017, 06:35 AM)
Just free him already
Glass Rebel
(08-09-2017, 06:38 AM)
I kinda fucks with this design. Would take a new (good) Battle Network in a heartbeat.
Opa-Pa
(08-09-2017, 06:39 AM)
Not getting my hopes up because this is Capcom and at best this would be concept art for the mobile game they have in development, but... Damn, that looks nice. I wouldn't mind that look for a classic MM comeback at all.
Mediking
(08-09-2017, 06:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Eylos

But the design of the art is closer to the original Megaman than the Battle Network.

These designs look amazing!!!
WarRock
(08-09-2017, 06:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Mediking

Go play Battle Network 6, it's awesome and underrated.
Dark Ninja
(08-09-2017, 06:54 AM)
Capcom doesn't have the money or want to fund a Mega-Man game. This is probably from some cancelled game.
Quadraphonic
XBONE Detective
(08-09-2017, 06:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Mediking

AND they made toys of these, too. I have a bunch.
Claude Augario
(08-09-2017, 06:56 AM)
The Incapcompetence surrounding this release... if this really is from a new game and production and it's revealed to the world through leaking their own shit, it would be fucking amazing. And exactly what they deserve after what they did to this franchise.