So while it is not a full cooperative multiplayer mode, it certainly seems like a step toward one!
Glitches in the simulation have begun to appear.
Visualised by strange floating orbs, up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.
While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man’s Sky.
While interaction is very limited, VOIP (Voice over IP) allows proximity based voice chat with other nearby explorers.
Use portals to quickly travel to more populated planets, or to meet up with friends.
From live gameplay today we're getting some early impressions of how Joint Exploration works. But I still have so many questions:
No Man's Sky - Joint Exploration Q & A
- Can you see each other? Yes, as orbs. Player position is tracked in three dimensions.
- Can you see the other's ship? No, but their orb glows green when they are in their ship.
- Can you interact? You can use in-game voice chat (VOIP) with up to 16 people nearby
- Can you mute / disable? Yes, can mute people, or turn off network play entirely
- Do you need PS+ to use JE? No.
- Can you modify the terrain and impact the other person? Seems no with the multitool grenade. Not sure about the new terrain deformer tool.
- If you fight an animal, can the other person see it? No.
- If you build a base can the other person see it being built? __________
- If you activate a monolith can the other person see it? __________
- If you break down a door to a Manufacturing Facility can the other person see it (and enter after)? __________
- What can you do? You can create a monument together to memorialize your meeting. (seems there can only be one monument per system?)
If people have answers to these, or more questions and/or anecdotes about Joint Exploration, perhaps we can discuss here :-)
(Note: I posted this in the main update thread but it got buried under all the other excitement)
Mute my orb if old.