• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya: "to say that Yoko-san saved Platinum would not be an exaggeration."

pdsjh5I.png

Hideki Kamiya (of Platinum Games) recently posted the following on Twitter:

Hideki Kamiya said:
ニーアの成功はプラチナにこれまでとは違うファン層をもたらし且つスタッフの成長、成功体験、優秀な就職志望者の増加と計り知れない恩恵を与えてくれた...本来は全て俺がやらなければならない事だった...情けない話だがプラチナはヨコオさんに救われたと言っても過言ではない...感謝してもしきれません...

Hideki Kamiya (Translated) said:
Nier's success has to this point given Platinum a new fanbase, a growing staff, a brilliant success story, an increase in qualified job applicants, and a great benefit. Normally, I can't help but do everything by myself... it's a pitiful story, but to say that Yoko-san saved Platinum would not be an exaggeration. I cannot thank him enough.

It's great to hear that NieR: Automata's success served to soften the blow of Scalebound's cancellation for Platinum; even if they didn't expect it to originally.

Aeana

I think what you meant is "would not be an overstatement." The Japanese text says it wouldn't be an exaggeration.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Who thought the Nier brand would be a commercial success, much less save a company from the brink of extinction? A lot changes in a few years.

Cheers to you, Yoko Taro. You're a crazy bastard but your stories are some extremely memorable stuff, and I'm glad the gaming populace is finally taking notice :)

Some Nobody

That's good to hear. Platinum is working on some very cool projects I'm hoping to see next year and the year beyond; I'd hate to see any of that fall through because they were in trouble.

Glad it's a success after Scalebound's cancellation.
I'd be pretty upset if my favorite 3rd party studio went under over some bs.

Nier is flawed but great. I'd like PG to go more into action adventure/action RPGs since it allows them to take their experience in character action games and build upon it with their likable characters. Hope they keep finding success in the future...also like to know when their next title is coming out. Was so used to having two or three Pg titles in the pipeline at all times.

VariantX

Remember when Automata was gonna be another pretty good game that ultimately bombed?

Guess it was the right game at the right time with a pretty popular and marketable character like 2B. I'm glad Platinum gets to keep growing and hopefully we'll be seeing some new stuff from them and I'm hoping they'll get to work with Square Enix again on another project.

Blindy

I think Platinum Games waking up and smelling the coffee and divulging a big title on the PS4 and it's giant fanbase after years of going with Nintendo(Bayonetta 2, Star Fox:Zero Wonderful 101) and Microsoft(Scalebound despite it being cancelled) might have helped this company. 3 games on a failed platform like Wii U and none for the PS4 until Nier Automata just doesn't make much sense. It's good to see Nintendo get 3rd party support do not get me wrong but it just didn't make sense at the time for Platinum games.

I understand they would not have been able to do any of these games without either's support but I think the neglecting of the PS4 wasn't the best decision for Kamiya and his main team. What was the last game he has put on a PS console? Metal Gear Rising which was a multiplatform game?

Between this and now getting Vanquish/Bayonetta 1 on Steam, Platnium game is starting to make some wise moves.

jonno394

I think Platnium Games waking up and smelling the coffee and divulging a big title on the PS4 and it's giant fanbase after years of going with Nintendo(Bayonetta 2, Star Fox:Zero Wonderful 101) and Microsoft(Scalebound despite it being cancelled) might have helped this company.

I think you're really misunderstanding just how Platinum operate.

LordKano

I think Platnium Games waking up and smelling the coffee and divulging a big title on the PS4 and it's giant fanbase after years of going with Nintendo(Bayonetta 2, Star Fox:Zero Wonderful 101) and Microsoft(Scalebound despite it being cancelled) might have helped this company.

I understand they would not have been able to do any of these games without either's support but I think the neglecting of the PS4 wasn't the best decision for Kamiya and his main team. What was the last game he has put on the PS4? Metal Gear Rising which was a multiplatform game?

Between this and now getting Vanquish/Bayonetta 1 on Steam, Platnium game is starting to make some wise moves.

It's not like they had a choice. They work only based on their partner's choice.

Automata succeeded because it was developed by platinum, not because of the name Nier. No one cared about this franchise before platinum stepped in.
They basically saved themselves

I think Platinum Games waking up and smelling the coffee and divulging a big title on the PS4 and it's giant fanbase after years of going with Nintendo(Bayonetta 2, Star Fox:Zero Wonderful 101) and Microsoft(Scalebound despite it being cancelled) might have helped this company. 3 games on a failed platform like Wii U and none for the PS4 until Nier Automata just doesn't make much sense. It's good to see Nintendo get 3rd party support do not get me wrong but it just didn't make sense at the time for Platinum games.

I understand they would not have been able to do any of these games without either's support but I think the neglecting of the PS4 wasn't the best decision for Kamiya and his main team. What was the last game he has put on the PS4? Metal Gear Rising which was a multiplatform game?

Transformers, Legend of Korra, and TMNt were on PS4. They also got paid for Bayo 2, W101, and Star Fox, i imagine.
Scalebound likely hurt quite a bit since it was a big team that suddenly had nothing to do

Platinum Games dont chose the platforms they work on. Also, Nier was a PS4/PC release.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Automata succeeded because it was developed by platinum, not because of the name Nier. No one cared about this franchise before platinum stepped in

It could easily be argued that the quality of the game went past Platinum's involvement. It was received as well as it was because of its combination of gameplay, themes, story, and characters.

To say only one party was responsible for its success is rude and unfair.

LotusHD

Banned
That legitimately warms my heart. I knew we were all assuming it was very good that Nier sold as well as it did, but I didn't think they'd outright save that they were saved because of it.

As always...

tumblr_olu1f0TdPl1w37294o1_r2_500.gif

Automata succeeded because it was developed by platinum, not because of the name Nier. No one cared about this franchise before platinum stepped in.
They basically saved themselves

Lol no, while yes, Nier was not this super popular thing, it still had a cult following, while Yoko himself served to be a rather unique form of marketing for the game as well, as well as a bunch of other reasons. Everyone was beneficial to one another, not just Platinum.

Top Bottom