• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit: Become Human - Gamescom Interviews

Shiggy

Quantic Dream's co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumière was at Gamescom and had several interviews for their upcoming game. As he speaks Austrian German fluently, the following two interviews were in German.

Rocket Beans TV (German only, subtitles available)
Inside PlayStation (German only)

Some tidbits, but if you have the opportunity, watch the full interviews as they are pretty interesting to watch:
- Works on the game since 2013, 200 employees at QD on the game now
- Had user sessions very early on in development to get feedback (didn't with Heavy Rain); watched how users play the game and even used telemetry
- Game is QD's least linear game; decisions in Detroit BC have real impact on game storyline (unlike Telltale games for example)
- In the Marcus scene, you can choose to become the leader of the revolution, but you can also choose to just move away. If you start a revolution, you can choose to have it become violent or peaceful.
- Fight Club was analysed to see what it means to be a leader and how the masses follow that leader.
- Gamescom demo scene has 7 or 8 different endings, and even more ways to get to these endings
- Initially, they wondered how early in the game they can let the player have decisive decisions. They talked to Sony (due to production costs), and they said "do as you think it's necessary"; Sony gave them free reigns.
- Game is also suitable for those who normally don't play, but they also try to have challenges for core gamers and offer a separate interface for those
- Looked at studies to determine when the game should play: one study in particular asked when people expect human androids to exist, majority said around 2040, therefore they chose that time
- Quantic Dream collects data from gamescom/event demo sessions for QA; game is very difficult to playtest due to all the different decisions

Looks to be a massive game. Unfortunately still no releasedate.

chadskin

acb.jpg

I need it noooow.

I'm really excited for this game. I know that David Cage gets a lot of crap around here but I've always liked his games. Playing Heavy Rain with a group of friends is one of my favorite gaming experiences

There's pretty much not much else like QD games out there.
The OP quotes have me encouraged, really hoping this comes together nicely.

Beyond was a bit of a dud for me but Heavy Rain was amazing so I'm praying its more of the latter.

Icolin

Banned
OléGunner;247268090 said:

Beyond was a bit of a dud for me but Heavy Rain was amazing so I'm praying its more of the latter.

This is pretty much how I feel. Here's to hoping that Detroit is a return to form (aka actually being somewhat entertaining).

bitbydeath

Will get this day one, hope they paid close attention to what worked in Until Dawn.

OléGunner;247268090 said:

Supermassive Games, Hidden Agenda is due out in October and should help on the wait for this.

This is probably going to be a train wreck of epic proportions.
But I can't wait for the SBF lets play.

This is my gut as well.

Heavy Rain was actually pretty awesome in my opinion, creative choices and consequences. most of the complaint i didnt understand, as not every game needs to have free form navigation and smooth combat mechanics, i took the game for what it was, a creative adventure kinda in the point and click kind of genre. Heck, a generation later, its still one of the standout titles i remember from that generation.
Beyond didnt get all that shit for nothing, it was an up in presentation, but dumped down in every other way pretty much.

Now, if this game can exceed Heavy Rain, and dare i say it, surprise in some way, It has a good chance to become another standout title, however, so many variables and ways this game can mess things up, I'm pretty skeptical.

Orb

This is my gut as well.

Heavy Rain was actually pretty awesome in my opinion, creative choices and consequences. most of the complaint i didnt understand, as not every game needs to have free form navigation and smooth combat mechanics, i took the game for what it was, a creative adventure kinda in the point and click kind of genre. Heck, a generation later, its still one of the standout titles i remember from that generation.
Beyond didnt get all that shit for nothing, it was an up in presentation, but dumped down in every other way pretty much.

Now, if this game can exceed Heavy Rain, and dare i say it, surprise in some way, It has a good chance to become another standout title, however, so many variables and ways this game can mess things up, I'm pretty skeptical.
People rag on heavy rain because its a pretentiously contrived and really awfully written game. Literally nobody critisizes it for how gamey it is or isnt

Im excited for the zaibatsu riffing

eulereld

Neo Member
Have played the E3 demo in a game exhibition. Detroit BH's game system is much complicated and interesting than Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls and the graphic is awesome. Looking forward to playing the whole game!

Bold One

Should draw some interesting parallels with Bigelow's film currently out I believe. Both deal with very similar themes.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can imagine the androids in Detroit be very happy in Nier Automata' s world while the androids in Nier be very happy in Detroit world.

vivekTO

What happened to the skin? lots of things are improved (lots of added details) but the skin seems heavily downgraded.

Still seems like overall the game looks better now.

I think its the capture issue , the overall image looks too soft and compressed, Cause other things got improvements i.e. clothing , lighting , materials shading etc.

Will get this day one, hope they paid close attention to what worked in Until Dawn.

Supermassive Games, Hidden Agenda is due out in October and should help on the wait for this.

WHAAAaAAAT!!!! OMFGWTFBBQ!!!! Why didn't I know about this game until now!?!?!

I fucking LOVED Until Dawn, so Supermassive can do no wrong in my eyes. Cheers, informed NeoGaf poster, Hidden Agenda in now on my radar thanks to you...

giphy.gif

What happened to the skin? lots of things are improved (lots of added details) but the skin seems heavily downgraded.

All your seeing is a change to the lighting model. The detail in the skin textures are the same. You're just seeing less specular highlight on the 2017 model skin (possibly because they've changed the lighting conditions and added sub-surface light scattering).

There's no down-grade.

Ricky_R

Yeah, skin detail took a major hit. I would assume the final game will improve on that as it looks rather basic.

Top Bottom