• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

goodcow
(02-15-2007, 04:19 PM)
goodcow's Avatar
So, I managed to nearly full drop a bar of soap straight down the shower drain. And now it's kinda trapped. Attempts at stabbing at it with a fork to pull it out like a potato have failed, and only pushed the bar down deeper.

I don't know if as the remaining water falls, it's going to bring the bar with it, but I obviously don't want the bar of soap to clog my plumbing.

What's my recourse here? Do I just have to run the water until it dissolves the bar, albeit at a small rate so the shower doesn't overflow?
tedtropy
$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
(02-15-2007, 04:21 PM)
tedtropy's Avatar
And is "shower drain" a euphemism for something?
Darobga
Member
(02-15-2007, 04:22 PM)
Liquid plummer or boiling water to disolve it.
BlueTsunami
there is joy in sucking dick
(02-15-2007, 04:23 PM)
BlueTsunami's Avatar

Originally Posted by tedtropy

And is "shower drain" a euphemism for something?

:lol

Maybe some Drano will cause it to dissolve quickly?

Originally Posted by Darobga

Liquid plummer or boiling water to disolve it.

*Shakes fist*
Y2Kev
The Last Guardian is Dead. Sorry.
(02-15-2007, 04:24 PM)
Y2Kev's Avatar
I WOULD USE A ROTOROOTER

am i rite guys??? eufamism lol11
vatstep
This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
(02-15-2007, 04:24 PM)
vatstep's Avatar
Why don't you have a drain cover? Are you running a garbage disposal in your shower or something, Kramer?
goodcow
(02-15-2007, 04:26 PM)
goodcow's Avatar
But clearly, as the boiling water dissolves the soap, it's going to slide down the drain further... that's fine and won't do damage as long as I keep running the water for a while?

I don't have a drain cover at the moment because the old one was beginning to get frayed around the edges, and I bought a new one off Amazon that doesn't fit quite right.
sc0la
Member
(02-15-2007, 04:29 PM)
sc0la's Avatar

Originally Posted by goodcow

So, I managed to nearly full drop a bar of soap straight down the shower drain. And now it's kinda trapped. Attempts at stabbing at it with a fork to pull it out like a potato have failed, and only pushed the bar down deeper.

You have had potatoes in your drain before?
travisbickle
Member
(02-15-2007, 04:29 PM)
travisbickle's Avatar
Why do you stick potatoes down your drain?
Toddler
Member
(02-15-2007, 04:31 PM)
Toddler's Avatar
How far down the drain is it? You might want to concider your losses and go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase whats called a "sewer" or plumbing snake.

goodcow
(02-15-2007, 04:33 PM)
goodcow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Online Now!

How far down the drain is it? You might want to concider your losses and go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase whats called a "sewer" or plumbing snake.

Probably 6 inches or so... at this point the shower door is almost completely fogged over from the steam, so I don't know what's going on, other than seeing some bubbles coming up out of the drain (from the soap, I'd hope), and that it's going at a slow enough rate that it hasn't overflowed.
worldrunover
Member
(02-15-2007, 04:36 PM)
worldrunover's Avatar
Do you have something you can try and scoop it out with? Like a bent wire hanger or something might work. Otherwise, just run hot water until it melts away.
Like the hat?
Member
(02-15-2007, 04:37 PM)
Like the hat?'s Avatar
for some reason, this thread is hilarious.

i would say try to jam stuff into the soap to at least try to break it in pieces. smaller pieces = dissolve quickly.
Toddler
Member
(02-15-2007, 04:41 PM)
Toddler's Avatar
Well, the bubbles your seeing is the exchange of air space being filled with water and air is getting traped because the drain isn't workng properly (kinda like putting your straw in a cup then putting yourt finger over the top of it, the drink gets traped till you let it "vent"). I've seen drains get hella cloged with a lot less than a bar of soap, and with it that far down the drain I'd shut the water off and either get a plumber over there or if your confedent enough, go get the sewer snake and start gringing it up (it's not that hard, unless you have noodle arms).
Ecrofirt
Member
(02-15-2007, 04:43 PM)

Originally Posted by goodcow

But clearly, as the boiling water dissolves the soap, it's going to slide down the drain further... that's fine and won't do damage as long as I keep running the water for a while?

I don't have a drain cover at the moment because the old one was beginning to get frayed around the edges, and I bought a new one off Amazon that doesn't fit quite right.

But what would be the problem with it sliding further down the drain? It'll still keep melting due to the boiling water.
SonnyBoy
(02-15-2007, 04:43 PM)
SonnyBoy's Avatar
Don't they have a specific type of acid that you pour down the drain to break clogs? I'm pretty sure that and some boiling water will do the trick.
goodcow
(02-15-2007, 04:45 PM)
goodcow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Online Now!

I've seen drains get hella cloged with a lot less than a bar of soap, and with it that far down the drain I'd shut the water off and either get a plumber over there or if your confedent enough, go get the sewer snake and start gringing it up (it's not that hard, unless you have noodle arms).

Well, difference being hair won't be dissolved with just water... as least a bar of soap is soluble.

I turned off the hot water now, and I see the bar has gotten smaller in size, and is kinda just chilling in the pipe for now.

I'll probably get Drano on the way home from work and then run more hot water.

Now, off to work.
goodcow
(02-15-2007, 04:46 PM)
goodcow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ecrofirt

But what would be the problem with it sliding further down the drain? It'll still keep melting due to the boiling water.

Well don't drains kinda arc, like that picture someone posted? I dunno, I just don't want to ruin the entire plumbing, but see my post above for an update.
Toddler
Member
(02-15-2007, 04:54 PM)
Toddler's Avatar

Originally Posted by goodcow

Well don't drains kinda arc, like that picture someone posted? I dunno, I just don't want to ruin the entire plumbing, but see my post above for an update.

True, and that's where most clogs occur. Just keep in mind that if you can't get enough water weight above the Drano to force the clog further down the drain, it just chills untill it desolves (if ever) and thats kinda hard to do sometimes in something a shallow as a shower pan.
Like the hat?
Member
(02-15-2007, 05:01 PM)
Like the hat?'s Avatar
ok, just so people know:

draino + boiling water = really hot draino.

really hot draino = dangerous

it can come bubbling back up the drain with a lot of force, right into your face.
Javaman
Member
(02-15-2007, 05:21 PM)
Javaman's Avatar

Originally Posted by JodyAnthony

ok, just so people know:

draino + boiling water = really hot draino.

really hot draino = dangerous

it can come bubbling back up the drain with a lot of force, right into your face.

This man speaks the truth. Just stick with hot water or a drain snake.
valparaiso
I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
(02-15-2007, 05:33 PM)
why would you use a bar of soap in the shower? and more importantly, why didn't anyone ask this question before me?
HomShaBom
Banned
(02-15-2007, 05:39 PM)
HomShaBom's Avatar

Originally Posted by valparaiso

why would you use a bar of soap in the shower? and more importantly, why didn't anyone ask this question before me?

wtf is wrong with a bar of soap in the shower?

and damnit, people still haven't learned to never drop the soap.
Spike Spiegel
the things I do for money
I'll never understand
the world is just a marble
in the palm of my hand
(02-15-2007, 05:40 PM)
Spike Spiegel's Avatar

Originally Posted by goodcow

I don't have a drain cover at the moment because the old one was beginning to get frayed around the edges, and I bought a new one off Amazon that doesn't fit quite right.

...

They're called hardware stores. Odds are there's one close by.
maynerd
Banned
(02-15-2007, 05:46 PM)
Jeesh how small are your bars of soap and how big is your drain!?
goodcow
(02-15-2007, 07:10 PM)
goodcow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel

...

They're called hardware stores. Odds are there's one close by.

Hey, by buying that shower drain on Amazon, GAF made 17 cents.

GO GAFAZON!!!
goodcow
(02-15-2007, 07:11 PM)
goodcow's Avatar

Originally Posted by valparaiso

why would you use a bar of soap in the shower? and more importantly, why didn't anyone ask this question before me?

... so you want me to use liquid body wash?
YakiSOBA
(02-15-2007, 07:44 PM)

Originally Posted by goodcow

... so you want me to use liquid body wash?

yes, especially if you live in residence on campus..

1st year... my bar of soap... left it once in the shower, next day was engulfed in pubes... which were not the same color as mine...
goodcow
(02-15-2007, 07:46 PM)
goodcow's Avatar

Originally Posted by YakiSOBA

yes, especially if you live in residence on campus..

1st year... my bar of soap... left it once in the shower, next day was engulfed in pubes... which were not the same color as mine...

Um... I don't live in a residence or campus... so I don't have that problem...
Ecrofirt
Member
(02-15-2007, 07:49 PM)
But what's your problem with body wash?

Soap is icky. Leaves my skin all dry and shit. Body wash smells nice and goes on much nicer.
CajoleJuice
(02-15-2007, 07:52 PM)
CajoleJuice's Avatar
I'm a body wash fan as well.
themadcowtipper
Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
(02-15-2007, 07:54 PM)
themadcowtipper's Avatar

Originally Posted by goodcow


I don't have a drain cover at the moment because the old one was beginning to get frayed around the edges, and I bought a new one off Amazon that doesn't fit quite right.

The truth comes out, this thread was just an attempt to push Amazon.com
goodcow
(02-15-2007, 07:56 PM)
goodcow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ecrofirt

But what's your problem with body wash?

Soap is icky. Leaves my skin all dry and shit. Body wash smells nice and goes on much nicer.



Product Features
* Pack of six 4-ounce bars of lavender scented, natural, and moisturizing soap (24 total ounces)
* Soap is milled four times for premium quality, and contains jojoba and olive oils for keeping your skin smooth and supple
* Includes Vitamin E, a natural antioxidant, for skin conditioning and protection, while palm and coconut oils provide rich lather and gentle cleansing
* One of the few personal care companies to earn the Halal certification, meaning products are made in accordance with Islamic guidelines
* Since 1970, Tom's of Maine has been manufacturing natural personal-care products packaged in recycled materials and made without artificial or animal ingredients or chemicals

Ingredients
Soaps of coconut and palm (coconut and palm oils & soda ash), Glycerin (product of soap), Lavandin & Lavender Oils (lavandin & lavender flowers), Vitamin E (tocopheral acetate), Jojoba And Olive Oil (jojoba seeds and olives), Rosemary Extract (rosemary needles), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C & palm oil)
UpperCaseN
Member
(02-15-2007, 07:57 PM)
UpperCaseN's Avatar
Like the hat?
Member
(02-15-2007, 07:58 PM)
Like the hat?'s Avatar
Psshhh, soap. I just bought 27 cats and they lick me clean nightly.
AlphaSnake
...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
(02-15-2007, 08:05 PM)
AlphaSnake's Avatar
Man...it's a bar of soap. Run hot water for 30 minutes to disolve it away and forget about it. It won't clog a thing.
Umino
Because certain people need something to talk about.
(02-15-2007, 10:47 PM)

Originally Posted by goodcow



Product Features
* Pack of six 4-ounce bars of lavender scented, natural, and moisturizing soap (24 total ounces)
* Soap is milled four times for premium quality, and contains jojoba and olive oils for keeping your skin smooth and supple
* Includes Vitamin E, a natural antioxidant, for skin conditioning and protection, while palm and coconut oils provide rich lather and gentle cleansing
* One of the few personal care companies to earn the Halal certification, meaning products are made in accordance with Islamic guidelines
* Since 1970, Tom's of Maine has been manufacturing natural personal-care products packaged in recycled materials and made without artificial or animal ingredients or chemicals

Ingredients
Soaps of coconut and palm (coconut and palm oils & soda ash), Glycerin (product of soap), Lavandin & Lavender Oils (lavandin & lavender flowers), Vitamin E (tocopheral acetate), Jojoba And Olive Oil (jojoba seeds and olives), Rosemary Extract (rosemary needles), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C & palm oil)

For God's sake. You and amazon.
Goldrusher
Member
(02-15-2007, 10:50 PM)
Goldrusher's Avatar
When it's fixed, install this:

BlueTsunami
there is joy in sucking dick
(02-15-2007, 11:01 PM)
BlueTsunami's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laramie

For God's sake. You and amazon.


:lol
Wellington
BAAAALLLINNN'
(02-15-2007, 11:12 PM)
Wellington's Avatar
What the hell? I click on this thread expecting hilarity and people are serious in here.

The way to handle it is like this:

Don't worry about it. It's a shower drain, nothing thicker than a clump of hair should be going down the thing, so you will not experience a clog/backflow. The flow rate of the water through the drain (a 2" line) should still overcome the flow of water through the shower head (Never ever seen a shower head with a supply line larger than 1") even with the bar of soap in there.

The thing will dissolve and you will live happily ever after.

Thread Tools