• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone - Interview with Christian Whitehead on Sonic Mania

Falk

that puzzling face
http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/a-chat-with-fan-turned-creator-of-sonic-mania-w501581

When did you transition into a more professional role? The iOS port of Sonic CD seems like a clear point of demarcation.
I started making Sonic fangames when I was 16 years old, but it wasn’t until I was done with uni that I really got serious about it. I was working as a freelancer doing motion graphics, so I had a lot of experience working for clients. I noticed that Sonic 1 and 2 had released onto iPhone, and I did a bit of research, and discovered that they had contracted a programmer to do it in Texas. Traditionally, you think of Sonic games being developed by a big team, and it was unthinkable that an independent contractor could land a job like that.

I was cavalier about it. I thought, “well, I’ve made hobbyist Sonic projects, so I’ll make a demonstration of Sonic CD running on the iPhone.” I figured that nobody had done it yet, because the power of the mobile devices at the time wasn’t enough to even emulate CD. I saw it as my chance to demonstrate my engine. This was back in 2009. The catalyst for it was that Sega made a blog post asking fans what games they wanted to see on the iPhone. And since I had the prototype, I just said, “Take a look at this!” It took them by surprise, I think. It didn’t actually come out until 2011. Most of that development time was establishing a relationship. At that point, I was just a random guy in Melbourne saying “Hey, I can do Sonic for you.” I think it was really surprising to them that someone would be able to rebuild one of their games, independently, with no resources from them.

When we did Sonic 1 for iOS, we put in Knuckles and Tails. Iizuka-san needed to be sure that we were able to pull it off. We explained the technology, and he gave us guidance with the process. By the time we got to Sonic 2, we decided to put in a new stage, or, rather, a stage that was supposed to be in Sonic 2, but didn’t make the cut - Hidden Palace Zone. We said, “Well, let’s finish it and put it in.” It was a fun creative challenge. For that to happen, Iizuka-san and (Yuji) Naka-san - the original programmer for Sonic - they both needed to be satisfied with what we did with that. We were trying to meet those standards. Every single time, we’ve managed to meet it. Sonic Mania was the chance to make an entirely new title.

Falk

that puzzling face
Disclaimer that I worked on Sonic Mania, and disclaimer that a lot of what I'm about to post comes from my own personal perspective, and I represent neither SEGA nor PagodaWest/Christian/etc. as a team.

The following is actually a post I typed up in response to the OP of this thread but never got around to posting. It was written before the Rolling Stone interview was published so I kind of feel vindicated that a lot of my views are parallel to that of Christian. It has much to do with what people can and cannot learn from the existence of a project like Sonic Mania.

I've had a lot of thought about how gaming fans turning professional is a necessary facet of the industry very much prior to Sonic Mania itself, as it's how I broke into the industry doing commercial work after doing music for fan projects, and this is (pretty long) after being active in the Quake/Quake2 modding community - a community from which a LOT of current AAA talent in the west cultivated their skills before being recruited. I thought about making a thread on this topic/tangent but it never was the right time of framing.

First, let's address this right here:

As we all know, SEGA recently moved forward in its quest to Make Sonic Great Again by cutting itself entirely out of the design process [1] - and it went pretty damn well. The game was lovingly crafted by fan creators with a serious passion for and understanding of the series, people heaped praises on it for bringing back the classic tight Sonic gameplay of yore, and SEGA made some good money and a lot of good PR for pretty cheap [2] (only paying for a handful of devs and some old-school 2D graphics). Everybody won.

[1] You'd be surprised how much input SEGA and Sonic Team had on the game, but I'm not at liberty to disclose details, so we'll leave it at that.

[2] This sentence strikes me as extremely reductive and incorrect, and would have been the main topic of my thread.

I think there's a general presumption, just from the fact that many/most of the people who worked on Sonic Mania had fan game/rom hacking background, that it's as simple as throwing money at a bunch of fans and getting something good. There are two key facets here that get lost in that reduction:

A) The talent and knowledge to design a game.

B) The accountability and reliability to pull it off to the end.

So

THE TALENT AND KNOWLEDGE TO DESIGN A GAME

Sonic's fan community, as has been pointed out,
is bizarre but
has a lot of exceptionally driven people that have reverse-engineered the classic games in the franchise down to a science. This sticks out because Sonic itself had very, very complex physics for a game of its time largely down to the genius of Yuji Naka, so nailing that, on top of general video game design philosophies like proper pacing, good level design, good art that makes things clear, etc. was something of a golden goose and had a sense of accomplishment when it was nailed. Other people in the Sonic fan community have gone on to make extremely solid platformers unrelated to the franchise - Freedom Planet and Spark just to name two, along with PagodaWest's Major Magnet (more on that in a moment)

Christian Whitehead and Simon Thomley deserve all the credit they get just for this feat alone, and then some. It's not easy recreating not just the physics of the old game, but the overall feel and flow of "Sonic", which gives and takes control from the player in a seemingly contradictory fundamental game design directions.

What's also often lost in the reduction is Christian programmed both a game engine and SDK that allows projects like Mania to actually be made, iterated on, tested, deployed and patched. The game isn't just a bunch of assets duct-taped together by one programmer (which largely isn't scalable) - other people need to be able to use the toolset too.

"Mania" treatment feels like kind of a misnomer for what's being asked. Sonic Mania was just such a given because fans have had decade-long histories of putting out incredible Sonic fan games that mirror classics or come with a plethora of unique spins and ideas. It was easy to say something like "Christian Whitehead should make a Sonic game" because both him and Stealth were experts on the engines of the 2D classics and I think the circumstance in which Mania came together has to do with more than just "lets make a classic-styled revival".

Great post. I won't say there aren't any Christian Whiteheads for other franchises out there (there probably are) but he really, REALLY was the singular perfect person for the job as far as the classic Sonic experience went.

That aside, I'd like to focus on:

ACCOUNTABILITY AND RELIABILITY TO PULL IT OFF TO THE END

(while there's sort of a baseline and due process, there aren't any rigid mandates, so even what I say here generally have exceptions to the rule, because everyone's individual case is different.)

What gets lost a lot in these discussions are the transitional steps for the people who worked on Sonic Mania. A bunch of fans didn't go straight from making romhacks to making a brand new official game. No company is ever going to risk that kind of investment, both in finances/resources as well as branding, on a relatively unknown quantity, even if they've put out great fan works.

I'm going to go out on a bit of a tangent here. Short, reductive personal backstory: I attended music college and while working on my final year stuff did music for a couple of Sonic fan games because I really, really liked the franchise (heck, my final project in a video game scoring module was Sonic-related) Those things, along with a bunch of other work, was a pretty strong portfolio and I eventually started working on a bunch of games and game concerts in various capacities - engineering, composition, etc.

SPECIFICALLY because it appeared I was a fan-turned-professional, I often got correspondence asking me to listen to stuff or 'put in a good word' and the like, and let me say I've thought long and hard about what separates a hobbyist from a professional while responding.

In the scope of, say, game music covers, the hobbyist can cherry pick what they want to do. If Blinded By Light sticks out to someone as the greatest JRPG battle theme of all time, they can cover that, get a shit ton of views and followers (which isn't a bad thing, mind you), and that's that. The professional working on a game, on the other hand, does not have this type of luxury to pick and choose. If you're writing for a JRPG, you can't just do battle music. You need to tackle towns, locales, character themes, event music, the works. It doesn't matter how good your battle themes are if every village in the game sounds like a call to war or some such.

The hobbyist doesn't need to deal with changing scope, looming deadlines, supporting a vision that's not their own, taking criticism to heart, knowing which creative battles to pick and which to let go. I'm not saying these things are completely missing from hobby projects, especially in a group. I'm saying it's not essential to deal with them, since livelihood isn't at stake when something is merely a hobby you can walk away from at any given point of time.

So, step one, a calling card isn't effective if it's simply a bunch of art or music free-floating. If one manage to do this with a fully fledged project and see it through to completion, that's a much stronger case when a project manager is looking to recruit for a certain undertaking, since there's proof that everything required to see a project through on a creative level is there. In summary, the proof of accountability and reliability is just as important, if not more, than simply having a good portfolio.

If we brought that a step further, I would also say that fan games and romhacks, while a good demonstration of the creative side, does poorly as a demonstration of accountability and reliability, especially from a business and legal perspective. Any project needs to have a clear hierarchy. A lot of people on the team that worked on Mania aren't there solely because they 'get' the franchise. They're also there because they're reliable, understand game development as a business either from having shipped games, or from strong vouching:

- PagodaWest, as mentioned, shipped Major Magnet
- Christian Whitehead obviously had a strong calling card with the CD remaster, and with the inclusion of Simon on 1 and 2 remasters, showed that anyone he recruited for the project would be both reliable and essential.
- Tee Lopes worked on Major Magnet.
- Paul Veer worked on games like Nuclear Throne and official Sonic prints.
- Many others have officially worked with SEGA in the past in various capacities.

(I don't intentionally want to leave people on the team out, but I think the above alone gets the point across)

There's quite a bit of due process here. A business entity is essentially mandatory because a commercial game is a business undertaking, and you want all your potential liabilities covered because funding a game is not cheap - I'm not saying Sonic Mania is AAA, but it's still very, very much a commercial undertaking. No IP holder is going to give a bunch of money to a bunch of people with no recourse should said people just disappear off the face of the earth, or lose interest, or break NDA or share trade secrets, or fail to fill in tax paperwork, or decide to start being dicks for whatever reason*. Accountability, accountability, accountability.

*if someone is constantly screaming in public that a brand sucks (which is a clear problem with the Sonic community) that person is... likely simply not going to work with anything official in any capacity regardless of what he has or hasn't done. It's the height of delusion to think any company would want to work with such a person.

I think that there's a lot that the industry at large can learn from the development and mere existence of Sonic Mania. However, a lot of wrong messages can and are also being sent out which are poisonous to the real lessons. What did SEGA do right, in this case? Help foster an active fan work community. Reach out to the right people at the right time, and take things one step at a time. What didn't SEGA actually do? Throw money at a bunch of fans with no due process. I don't think Mania would have existed without all the intermediary steps of first the CD remaster, then 1, then 2 with a completely original zone, and so on and so forth.

If there's something I'd like to say in closing, recruiting fans really, REALLY isn't new, although it's probably groundbreaking for a Japanese IP, even if Sonic has been bigger in the west vs Japan for a long time now. CS, DotA, TF2, LoL, these are all franchises that either were mods at one point of time, or designed by people who were mod makers in the case of LoL/Guinsoo. Black Mesa started out as a hobbyist project. Tower Defense, MOBAs, survival FPS as entire genres generally all started as fan undertakings which latched on to a more widespread appeal. A lot of current AAA talent started out in the Doom/Quake/Unreal modding communities. Think about the opposite here for a second. If people who ended up working on games weren't fan of games (or specific franchises) and fans of tinkering with games and game creation to begin with, what even is the alternative? Great devs don't magically fall out of the sky. In other words, fans and professionals aren't mutually exclusive categorizations.

(P.S. I don't really know where to chuck this in, but on the whole facet of Sonic Mania being a commercial undertaking and not a fan game, Hunter Bridges does not get enough credit to how essential his role was in getting the game shipped)

Gaogaogao

thanks for making my point ;)
sorry I didnt read your 2nd post

I thought AM2R was pretty good, but I guess it still might not have met nintendo's standards, whatever those are.
doesnt matter now that theres a 3ds remake... but that was the best example, and wont be the last.

aadiboy

Article is false, the biggest Sonic fan is either Chris Chan or that kid youtuber who screams at his viewers.

Seiryoden

Thank you for posting this. I was surprised how some gaming journalists I value and and respect failed to mention Mr. Whitehead in their discussions of Sonic Mania's success and what it may mean for the future of the blue Hedgehog.

Thanks for your work too.

There are certain levels that are fan-favorites, but in one instance, we put in a Zone that fans generally dislike, but we did something completely different with it, and it seems like people are liking it.
Oil Ocean?
We didn't just want to put it in there. I was having trouble thinking of a novel boss for the Zone. We had already made a souped-up version of the original boss, so we needed something else. I just thought, ”Wouldn't it be funny if we made the boss just Puyo Puyo?" I thought Iizuka-san would just immediately veto it. But he said, ”Let's look into it." And it made sense creatively for the game.
I can't believe they let them recreate the mechanics of Puyo for a single boss as a crazy reference to a spin off game that was never even released in Japan

Burning Rangers shout out at the end. I was humming some tunes from that game to myself earlier today. I'd love to play that again.

Nice interview. I'm so happy for Christian, Sega and fans like me. The game is exactly what I needed it to be. I can't wait to see what comes next.

RomanceDawn

Wow that is some insight Falk!

I wonder if what you all did with Mania will impact the future of 3D Sonic? In what way I couldn't imagine. I mean I know what I want but I wonder what the higher ups at Sega are going to gather from all this.

Opa-Pa

That's some fantastic insight Falk, thanks. This game is so fascinating to me as a project (on top of the game itself being incredible), so getting to know more from someone with personal experience is awesome.

I think a lot of fans, myself included, have been reductive about Sega's involvement at times, but really I think the only wrong thing they've done with the project is the Denuvo fiasco. They really deserve some credit too for allowing and helping this to happen after all.

Wow that is some insight Falk!

I wonder if what you all did with Mania will impact the future of 3D Sonic? In what way I couldn't imagine. I mean I know what I want but I wonder what the higher ups at Sega are going to gather from all this.

they're probably waiting for Forces to shit the bed critically before they really do anything

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oil Ocean?

I can't believe they let them recreate the mechanics of Puyo for a single boss as a crazy reference to a spin off game that was never even released in Japan
Nah it must be Metallic Madness. I know that was only zone that made me straight up groan when it first loaded up. They wasted a spot on THAT?! But it was actually a pretty good level in Mania.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
"Save the franchise" is a bit much, isn't it? No matter how good Sonic Mania is, it's still more of an exception than the rule in terms of quality Sonic games.

It's more of an emergency resuscitation, if anything. Let's see whether Sonic Forces will continue the treatment or instead deliver a deathblow to Sonic.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Awesome insight! Thank you, OP, and thank you, Falk.

As someone with little adoration for the classic Sonic games (at least comparatively to many), I firmly believe Mania is a monumental achievement. I've been signing it's praises since release - I would, without hesitation, call it one of this generation's Top Five games, period.

That was a really interesting read. The notion of genuine reliability is something that definitely seems to fly under the radar a bit when concerning bringing in promising talent willy-nilly (the Sonic Utopia reactions felt a certain shade of this).

It's easy to be constantly frustrated with Sega, but to see the long term results of their scoping and smaller collaborations leading up to Mania really is a treat. Assuming the PC debacle hasn't caused any serious rift between the dev team and Sega I very much look forward to any future work from the team-up.
ayyy Sonic 3 remastered/Game Gear title remakes

Falk

that puzzling face
ok you guys win i changed the thread title so people stop coming in here to demonstrate how witty and up-to-date they are with the inside jokes

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
"When does Streets of Rage get this treatment?" is the real question we should all be asking ourselves.

Yukinari

"Save the franchise" is a bit much, isn't it? No matter how good Sonic Mania is, it's still more of an exception than the rule in terms of quality Sonic games.

It's more of an emergency resuscitation, if anything. Let's see whether Sonic Forces will continue the treatment or instead deliver a deathblow to Sonic.

Forces is gonna get a comfy 75 on metacritic and be remembered as the game that came out after Mania.

People who already played Mania then try playing as Classic Sonic in Forces understand this.

Absolute kudos to Taxman and everyone else involved with Mania. It's my favorite Sonic game ever from top to bottom. I'd love to see another attempt with a greater, or hell, a total focus on original content, because the new stuff (along with the more liberal takes on CD's zones) were hands down my favorite content in the game. I'd love to play a new game in this style every once in a while. Just a fantastic effort.

Neiteio

Absolute kudos to Taxman and everyone else involved with Mania. It's my favorite Sonic game ever from top to bottom. I'd love to see another attempt with a greater, or hell, a total focus on original content, because the new stuff (along with the more liberal takes on CD's zones) were hands down my favorite content in the game. I'd love to play a new game in this style every once in a while. Just a fantastic effort.
And thanks to you for convincing me to try Mania despite my past reservations (more like misunderstandings) about 2D Sonic. I "get it" now and I adore this game -- one of my favorite 2D platformers alongside DKC2 and Tropical Freeze.

Lijik

Oil Ocean?

It certainly was for me. Oil Ocean marks the exact point where I lose interest in Sonic 2 but its a lot of fun in Mania.

Granted Im weird and love how Metallic Madness is Scrap Brain on steroids and never in a million years expected it to show back up so that stage reappearing was a major highlight in my first playthrough

"When does Streets of Rage get this treatment?" is the real question we should all be asking ourselves.

Like Sping-Loaded said, Streets of Rage Remake already happened, and is the best SoR game ever made. All Sega needs to do is replace the assets can get them sued, throw in some online co-op, and put it out there.

Then make a proper Streets of Rage 4.

But this is a Sanic thread so I'll stop there.

And thanks to you for convincing me to try Mania despite my past reservations (more like misunderstandings) about 2D Sonic. I "get it" now and I adore this game -- one of my favorite 2D platformers alongside DKC2 and Tropical Freeze.

Vt2Si2Z.gif

Interesting that Taxman said the original tileset for Lava Reef wasn't usable for Mania. Is that why the level has different backgrounds? The new environments are stunning. The reveal of Act 2 especially, with that music *swoon*

Falk

that puzzling face
Streets of Rage Remake

I think you're missing the point in the article.

Sonic CD started as a pitch, and then everything along the way, in CD, 1, and 2 were closely vetted and developed in conjunction with SEGA. From new features to new content, everything followed a proper hierarchy and accountability. There were things that CW wanted to do that didn't make the cut (this is public info - see reports of the axed Egg Gauntlet zone in Sonic 2 remaster)

It's not like CW rocked up with a complete remake of a game and then said 'hey hey check it out'.

I'm not saying that either of those two projects might have seen a different outcome had the interested parties reached out to the IP owners with a solid 'let's work together on this' pitch, since I'm obviously not a SEGA (or Nintendo) spokesperson. In fact, another fan project, Street Figher vs Megaman, did go through similar hoops and got official Capcom endorsement, even if it fell short of 'canon status' or 'commercial product'.

What I'm saying is the situation and the way these things were developed were extremely different in nature from how Mania came about, and that's what I'm trying to convey with the first post, and what people might be able to learn from it.

I think you're missing the point in the article.

Sonic CD started as a pitch, and then everything along the way, in CD, 1, and 2 were closely vetted and developed in conjunction with SEGA. From new features to new content, everything followed a proper hierarchy and accountability. There were things that CW wanted to do that didn't make the cut (this is public info - see reports of the axed Egg Gauntlet zone in Sonic 2 remaster)

It's not like CW rocked up with a complete remake of a game and then said 'hey hey check it out'.

I'm not saying that either of those two projects might have seen a different outcome had the interested parties reached out to the IP owners with a solid 'let's work together on this' pitch, since I'm obviously not a SEGA (or Nintendo) spokesperson. In fact, another fan project, Street Figher vs Megaman, did go through similar hoops and got official Capcom endorsement, even if it fell short of 'canon status' or 'commercial product'.

What I'm saying is the situation and the way these things were developed were extremely different in nature from how Mania came about, and that's what I'm trying to convey with the first post, and what people might be able to learn from it.

My post was totally just taking another opportunity to shill for Streets of Rage Remake, which I've done more than a few times, rather than a serious respone of of "Why hasn't SEGA just done this thing already?" This is why I acknowledge that there are pieces of SoRR that would cause legal issues if, for instance, SEGA simply bought the fan game and threw it up on digital storefronts. I do realize that there are many more steps than this concerning the creation of a game like Sonic Mania, particularly when having to create the tools/pipeline for new content/mechanics, and the possibility of returning for a sequel later on.

But still, y'know. Streets of Rage Remake is a thing. So, like, SEGA... c'mon brehs.

Gattsu25

Banned
Sonic Mania really was a fun experience that I'm not done with yet. They really were able to capture the feel of what it's like to play a sonic game and I think a lot of that goes down to their impeccable level design. The section of the interview where he goes into the pacing of a level and the different paths really hits why I think he and team were able to perfect the feel so much.

Great interview and a great post there, Falk.

Top Bottom