• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(09-13-2017, 04:51 PM)

The Evil Within 2 went for a short announcement > release cycle, being announced last E3 and releasing on October 13th (Friday the 13th) this year, giving it only about a four month period before it released on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

I understand many have gone on blackout to not spoil the game for themselves as they don't have to wait long to play it, but I thought I might make this topic now for two purposes: to gauge and simply ask how GAF is feeling towards TEW2 here a month before release, how they think it might fair in the busy end of the year release schedule, and if they're looking forward to it, and to give a general information breakdown as I've been seeing a lot of questions in nearly every TEW thread I think I can answer.

It's currently my most anticipated game, and I have a pretty solid feeling from following the game closely there will be an audience that loves this game. Being a horror enthusiast, I want to see TEW2 do well, so I decided to take some time to collect this information.

Before I give this info summary dump, I ask you how are you guys reading feel about TEW2 with it out in a month? Looking forward to it, worried, excited? Think it'll do well, think it'll bomb? What are your feelings towards the game with it out so soon?

And now an info dump for The Evil Within 2:

The Evil Within 2 is a sequel to the 2014 action-stealth survival-horror hit (the original game at this point has sold around 5 million copies), featuring Sebastian Castellanos (the protagonist of the first game) three years after the events that occurred in Beacon Mental Hospital. He tried to find those responsible for what happened to him but with no leads and his wild tales making people think he went mad, he lost his job at the KCPD and spirals into self-destruction at the end of a bottle. Out of nowhere, Juli Kidman (a character who experienced the same events Sebastian did in the original and the protagonist of two of the DLC chapters for the original game) returns and reveals to Sebastian that his daughter, Lily, who he thought had died in a house fire many years ago, is actually alive. And if Sebastian will do something to help a shady organization known as Mobius (the organization that Kidman works for), he may be able to save her.

The game is a sequel to the original game and does take place after events of the original, but they have confirmed playing the original game is not a necessity. Apparently they've prepared a 'catch-up' within the game itself to learn the important information from the original game for those who want to dive straight into the sequel. One important piece to know is that the original TEW and this sequel primarily take place in a system known as 'STEM', which in basic is a machine that connects peoples brains together to mentally exist in another world. To quote one of the writers of The Evil Within 2, think of STEM like The Matrix if it was run by Freddy Krueger. The purpose of STEM is still unknown at this time outside of its origins and that Mobius seems to really want a stable STEM system for their own agenda we will apparently learn more about in TEW2.

STEM needs a person (known as a 'Core') at the center of it to unify the different people who get attached to the machine. The Core basically works as the 'administrator' unit of the STEM, everyone within the STEM is a mental projection of themselves but the only person with full control is the Core. Without a Core, people's own mental spaces can begin to run wild and conjure things from the subconscious, and there seems to be an especially strong knack for the STEM to conjure up a person's innermost fears in weird ways. Lily was apparently the 'Core' of a STEM unit that Mobius had made and kept running, hosting a utopian city known as Union. However for reasons unknown, Lily just suddenly disappeared from within her own STEM. Mobius does not know how or why, but with her gone things have begun to go to hell in Union, as people are beginning to lose themselves to a nightmare within the STEM, and some of the people inside have gone on a power trip to take control of Union to change it into their own vision of utopia. They're all mentally stuck there until the Core returns and can't be extracted, but people can still go in. Mobius sent in several units of their own to respond and try to control and find out what happened to the Core, but things go south. In a last ditch effort to save all the time and money they've put into this STEM, they've contacted Sebastian as their last hope. He both has experience with STEM being a survivor of the Beacon Mental Hospital incident, and as Lily's father maybe injecting him into the STEM can get some sort of response out of Lily, wherever she is. Sebastian, broken and without much to lose, and given a chance to save his daughter, accepts this deal and enters into STEM one more time.

One of the big goals of The Evil Within 2 is to make a much better story than the original, with a cast of more likable and human characters. They have voiced they think the story of the game will be a surprise for many people, especially when it kicks into gear during the second half of the game. We will certainly see soon enough.

The Evil Within 2 is a third-person survival-horror game with some deeper level of action, stealth, and trap mechanics. One goal for the team in TEW2 was to make the player have more options while playing than the original game; in the original the game was mostly linear and often there was but one way to progress. They've worked at making it so different people can use different playstyles to get through the same scenarios in very different ways.

When you start The Evil Within 2, there are three difficulty levels: Casual, Survival, and Nightmare. Casual is easier than Casual in the original TEW, but still not quite a cakewalk. It's recommended for players who want to not get too frustrated and are here for the story and experience rather than challenge. There's a variety of gameplay changes to make the game easier, including some abilities you need to usually spend resources on to upgrade being unlocked from the start, less and easier enemy placement, more resources in general, and other things you can turn on/off to make the game easier (like aim assist, which is an available option on Casual and Survival but not Nightmare and above). In contrast, Nightmare difficulty is recommended for people who like survival-horror games, it is apparently around the level of challenge of Survival in the original game, and has changes made for those who have more experience in the genre. It's also confirmed there's an unlockable difficulty which is NOT Akumu Mode from the original (no one-hit kills from everything) which will have limited saving, remixed scenarios, and other surprises we'll have to see when the game releases.

You are not defenseless in TEW, you get a knife and a handgun relatively early, and can gain more weapons over the course of the game such as shotguns, sniper rifles, crossbows, and more. Combat has seen improvements from the original, including a much wider camera when aiming, now being able to do a quick-turn, and a more extensive weapon upgrade system. In TEW2, you'll find Weapon Parts and High-Grade Weapon Parts, which can be used to both upgrade your weapon and repair broken weapons you find when you locate all the weapon parts. You must choose what to use your weapon parts on, as there's not nearly enough to upgrade all your weapons and repair all weapons you find in the game in a single playthrough (though the game does have New Game+).

However, this is a survival-horror game. You do have limited resources and ammo, and have other options than just fighting. You need to pick and choose your battles, as while there are new options to sacrifice certain resources for others (there's an extended crafting element in the game compared to the original to let you choose what to make), you can and will run out of ammo if you go crazy with shooting monsters up.

You can 'build' a Sebastian that's more oriented to fighting, however. Like the original TEW, there is an upgrade system for Sebastian himself using Green Gel (and a new Red Gel). You collect it from enemies and around the environment, though in a single playthrough it's impossible to fully upgrade Sebastian, so again you must pick and choose where to use your upgrade gel. Sebastian can upgrade his abilities in five area: Health, Stealth, Combat, Recovery, and Athleticism. Some upgrades are straight forward, such as increased max health, increased stamina, steadier aim... But there's some new and special quirks you can get too. Some quirks you can upgrade include having one-hit kill attacks no longer kill you, just nearly kill you but leave you alive with either a little or a lot of health left. Another quirk helps give Sebastian a small chance to dodge and avoid damage from certain types of attacks. There's also crazier abilities you can get, though they are expensive and to get them you'll need to focus on unlocking them. These abilities include a curb-stomp move to kill enemies on the ground, an ability to slow-down time while you're aiming, and a combo-like ability where your default gun damage is lower but you can start to get a 'combo', every time you shoot an enemy before the combo timer runs out you deliver more and more damage with each shot, increasing the damage output until either you run out of time and the combo ends or you run out of ammo. The crazier abilities are crazy expensive though, and you need to pick and choose what you want to upgrade with gel as you play to fit your playstyle.

Stealth has seen some big improvements since the original game as well, now allowing you to take and move from cover for stealth, a more refined enemy detection system and better use of light/darkness, sounds, and more environmental uses to distract monsters.

Traps have also been expanded, while still using the Crossbow as the basis for special elemental weapons, their purpose and abilities have been increased (for example, you may use an electric bolt in a pool of water to have the expected result or use a ire bolt on oil or grass to spread some chaos), as well as some new types of traps such as being able to set down trip wires or a detonation mine that makes a distinct sound to attract nearby enemies.

But the enemies and dangers of Union have also seen an increase in nightmarish variety and threat since the original game as well. The main zombie-like enemies of the game are known as "Losts", lost souls to Union, who will not go down easily if their brain isn't taken out (and headshots have to be precise, as you can shoot off part of their faces rather than hitting them squarely in the brain). There are also new crazier types of the main enemy forces, including a type known as Hysterics who are far more aggressive, sporadic, relentless.

The enemy train doesn't stop there though, there's all sorts of weird twisted monstrosities within Union. Some of the biggest monsters can not be killed, but the screen tints to a blue tone when you're around a foe who is unbeatable to let you know not to mess with it (some unstopable forces wander dynamically through the game world). There is a much bigger enemy variety than the original game.

The game takes place in a mentalscape small American town known as Union. The Evil Within 2 compared to the original game will have more open levels to explore, but the game itself is not an open world game. A more apt comparison is some hybrid of the original Silent Hill and Silent Hill Downpour. The game has a chapter system like the original, and still has linear levels and areas. However, in-between main story chapters you'll go to larger, more explorable levels with optional stuff to do in them. There isn't a whole big 'open world', as much as there's 'provinces' of Union you'll go to. In the original Silent Hill, in-between the main stages you went back to the town itself. The town is never 100% fully explorable, but you reach different segments which fill the in-between from the main locales. This is the easiest way to describe Union, you go to different sections of the town in-between the main locations, which act more like larger levels you can explore. And there are side-questions and optional places to explore, which are handled similarly to Silent Hill Downpour. Instead of receiving quests from NPCs or having to destroy X Losts or whatever, you instead find optional stuff to do more organically by exploring Union, stumbling on oddities and mysteries, and taking part in optional gameplay scenarios that flow with the exploration of the town.

You can also choose to skip all of this and just rush to the next story bit, or take the time to explore these sequences. These are great chances to restock and resupply, but be warned that this isn't a safe space, when exploring you can stumble upon horrors you'll have to overcome and other dangers and oddities.

One tool that helps you in these segments is your communicator, which is something you use to talk to Juli Kidman with back in the real world but also helps you out in Union. It gives you where 'signals' from traces of Lily are that can point you to the next objective, but it also picks up on nearby sounds and odd waves being given off in Union, which if you choose you may use to try to track down optional stuff to partake in... Though not all waves are safe or friendly.

It's also been said by Shinki Mikami (producer) and the game's director, John Johanas, that the side-quests and Union become a smaller part of the game in the second half when the story really starts kicking off, which is an intentional design decision for pacing. Their presence will lessen over the course of the game as things begin to kick into gear.

The game is running on a custom engine by Tango Gameworks, which uses some of the skeleton of both idTech 5 & 6 within it. A Frankenstein Engine, of sorts. They put it together to fit their own needs, but have aimed to elevate some issues of the original, including reducing and removing many load times, lowering the amount and time of texture pop-ins with the engine, allowing much easier HD resolutions and 60fps (on PC, console FPS hasn't been confirmed yet), and to have a lusher lighting system for them and to allow much bigger levels.

The game will support PS4 Pro and Xbox One X Enhancement, being able to run at 4K on PC, PS4 Pro, and XOX. It also has HDR support on all platforms.

We won't know until we know, but the previews from people who played an hour of the game at Gamescom, PAX Prime, & QuakeCon (Chapters 2 & 3 of the game) were quite positive:

PCGamer

Granting players more than one plan of attack in any given situation is a bold move for The Evil Within, but one which pays dividends in light of the first game's more restrictive makeup. From the small segment I've played, you could argue this dilutes the original's sense of claustrophobia, but there's a real tension in being forced to make decisions. Choosing a path which plays to your own strengths is vital and, despite dying more than I'd like to admit, I appreciated abandoning one strategy in favour of another and seeing these events play out so differently.

I'm interested to see how these branching pathways play out deeper into the game with more varied enemy types, but I'm pretty convinced this design decision is good for The Evil Within 2. With the crafting system and unlockable upgrades that allow customisation of Sebastian's stats, like Stealth, Recovery and Combat, there's a strong chance this will be an improved sequel—one that retains the engagingly oppressive tone of the first game.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Not everyone will have the stomach for The Evil Within 2 or the desire to spend time in such a wounded world, but for every moment like the feeding scene there’ll most likely be several of crafting and sneaking and exploring. If I’m certain of one thing it’s that, like its predecessor, this will be a game with wild shifts in tone and setting. The difference this time around might be the changes in pace, those big open areas acting like a pressure valve, releasing some of the claustrophobia and intensity.

Consider yourself warned though: this is one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever seen (and with plenty of PC-specific bells and whistles), but it’s also one of the ugliest.

ShackNews

Although it's too early to say for sure, the slice of the game I played indicated that favoring flight over fight could be possible. You need slime to spec out your character's abilities, but other supplies are necessary for crafting ammunition and building parts to augment your weapons. In theory, skimping on slime could be a viable alternative, provided you explore thoroughly and take advantage of every opportunity to upgrade your weapons and craft supplies.

Provided Tango Gameworks makes good on giving players more agency, The Evil Within 2 seems poised to deliver a compelling serving of thrills and chills when it releases.

Rely on Horror

This kind of open-ended level design is something the genre has been lacking since the early days of Silent Hill. It offers a fantastic opportunity to reward player exploration in a way that goes beyond simple collectibles and small upgrades, and I’m excited to see The Evil Within 2 tackle it head-on, fully utilizing current hardware and processing power along the way.

For what initially felt like a demo for a by-the-numbers horror title quickly became so much more. The Evil Within was by no means a perfect game, and it’s good to see that Tango Gameworks has not only taken its criticisms to heart but innovated on what worked best. The result is an experience that feels fresh and exciting, full of mystery and opportunity even to someone who has played through The Evil Within multiple times. A renewed attention to narrative, tighter controls, better graphics, and some impressive level design suggests that The Evil Within 2 has the potential to be not just one of the best horror titles of 2017, but one of the best games in the genre period.

GameSpot

While there was a lot to admire in the first game, the sequel seems to be addressing many of the concerns with pacing and pulling back a bit more on the action-focused sequences. Though this was just opening, there was an almost oppressive feeling of familiarity with The Evil Within 2, in that some sequences and events felt too much like retreads for my liking. With that said, the expanded scope of it all feels far more in-line with an adventure game, even if there's a large risk to going off the beaten path of the dreamscape. And given how diverse many of the locations were in the original game, it'll be interesting see where you can go and how deep you'll be able to explore the new places. Which will no doubt lead to some terrifying moments.

Windows Central

Indeed, it's the only horror game in recent memory that has literally given me nightmares, and I only played it for around 30 minutes.

I'm in no position to pass any sort of final judgement on the game's shift to a more open-format, but it could be what the franchise needed to evolve. If they pull it off, The Evil Within 2 looks set to become a top horror purchase for this holiday season, particularly in the run up to Halloween.

Blast Away

That little choice served as a key position on what I would do and how I will approach the game when it launches this fall. It’s moments like sneaking up on a lone enemy, piercing the back of his neck with a knife, scooping up slime he left behind as my experience, that led to a gratifying experience as I would keep his friends from becoming alert and knowing of my presence. It’s those small choices as well that made the game feel bigger, more unique, but still the same as its predecessor. This gives me hope that The Evil Within 2 will shape up to become the Resident Evil and Silent Hill experiences I’ve been desiring over the past few years.

Those crucial choices I made became a small whisper in the back of my mind: I would need to become adept at picking off enemies as I see fit. I would need to stockpile my upgrade materials, carefully use those weapon parts, bits of gunpowder, and experience I found. This little slice-of-the-pie became my focal point, one that has left me metaphorically in withdrawals due to my desire to play the game once more.

Games Reactor

The Evil Within 2 looks, feels and plays like an enhanced version of the previous game, it truly is a sequel in its purest form. The semi-open world looks amazing and fits the experience. There are plenty of different enemies, and there's great variety in the environmental design. The exploration-heavy setup is an added bonus and the radio navigation helps to keep the overwhelming vastness of open-world exploration manageable by telling you what you can find in each direction. Visually the game is stunning with the exception of some odd looking facial animations where the eyes look static and unnatural and the mouth expressions are blurry; a small flaw in an otherwise beautiful looking game - at least, it's as beautiful as a bloody grotesque horror show can get.

Extended Gameplay Trailer

Race Against Time Trailer

The Evil Within 2 E3 Announcement Trailer

Gruesome Giggling Guardian Gameplay

The Evil Within 2 1-Hour Bethesda Livestream
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 09-13-2017 at 07:05 PM.
giancarlo123x
(09-13-2017, 04:51 PM)
Jesus I didn't even know it was releasing this year. I still need to finish the original.
Dusk Golem
(09-13-2017, 04:52 PM)
Ran out of room in the OP, but I want to ask you guys just to reiterate one more time, a month out how are you guys feeling towards The Evil Within 2? Positive, negative, thinking it'll find success, thinking it'll bomb? I'm curious where the current GAF tide is in general right now on the title with it so close to release.
Patrick Klepek
furiously molesting tim burton
(09-13-2017, 04:52 PM)
The PAX demo was super weird and left a bad taste in my mouth, but it's Mikami and I thought the original had some real promise, so I'm game.
nextgeneration
(09-13-2017, 04:53 PM)
I cannot wait. Loved the first one. I'll wait until we get some impressions on performance, though, before buying. The first one at launch was an absolute clusterfuck performance wise.

Also, after the disappointing direction that Resident 7 went in, I'm looking forward to Evil Within 2 even that much more.
Last edited by nextgeneration; 09-13-2017 at 04:58 PM.
rtcn63
(09-13-2017, 04:53 PM)
Please don't be too easy or have shit performance
YuriLowell
(09-13-2017, 04:55 PM)
I am still super excited for it have my PC preorder in on cdkeys.

I need to finish the DLC for the first game.
hughesta
(09-13-2017, 04:55 PM)
Dusk Golem you are an insane person and I love you

Can't wait for this game, really enjoyed the first one and this seems to be a lot of steps in the right direction
KainXVIII
(09-13-2017, 04:56 PM)
Please, don't westernize this game, Bethesda!
Traxtech
Ridiculously excited doesn't begin to explain how I feel about this game coming out. Number 1 was my goty for 2014 and has a big place in my favourite games ever list.

Can't wait!!
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Originally Posted by rtcn63

Please don't be too easy or have shit performance

That we're now just a month away from release and there has been no clarification whatsoever as to which version of id Tech the game uses strongly suggests to me Bethesda would rather avoid the question than confirm id Tech 5.

Edit: The matter of the engine has been addressed, sort of:

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

Comes from four things, I did some digging and asking around to get some of it. The main take-away is it's not running on the same engine as TEW1 was, but I think that may have been a foundation and they upgraded it with some of the pieces of idTech 6 and then their own coding. However with some people who have some more PC expertise that have played TEW2 demo (which is an hour or two long), their reports are good, so I'm actually optimistic for the performance of the PC version this time.

Last edited by JaseC; 09-13-2017 at 06:35 PM.
kunonabi
Despite hating the original I'm actually really excited for TEW2. I'm sort of tapped out for October purchases so I'll pick it up down the line when it goes on discount and I actually have space on my PS4 hard drive for it.
Gin-Shiio
(09-13-2017, 04:57 PM)
Torn between playing this myself and watching Aris play it on stream.
ReddishGUI
This looks like a super early OT but I don't mind.

Really enjoyed the first one so I'm excited for it.
Hippopuncher12
I'm excited for it, but I have way too many games to play right now, and even more coming out before the end of the year. I am probably waiting on this one.
Soul of the Beast
Fuck, I will be in the military before the game comes out (mandatory in here Taiwan for all adult male), I got fucking marine corps too.

Well, see you next year Sebastian...and my PS4. I will be fucking ripped by then.

Last edited by Soul of the Beast; 09-13-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Dusk Golem
(09-13-2017, 04:58 PM)

Originally Posted by giancarlo123x

Jesus I didn't even know it was releasing this year. I still need to finish the original.

Some time still to do so of course, but yeah they announced it last E3, and plotted to announced it was releasing on October 13th, so it's been a very short announce > release cycle, so I expect the release will creep up on a lot of people, which is part of the reason I made the topic. I bet many forget the game is literally only 30 days away from release now.

Originally Posted by Patrick Klepek

The PAX demo was super weird and left a bad taste in my mouth, but it's Mikami and I thought the original had some real promise, so I'm game.

Having been to PAX several times, I am going to guess the demo doesn't work best due to time limits to keep the demo playing along. the stuff I posted under impressions/is it going to be good are from the same demo you played, but probably they had a lot more time with it. The total demo length is supposed to be 1-2 hours long, and knowing PAX you probably only got 10-20 minutes with it, which means you probably did the more scripted prologue thing before getting to the real meat of the demo (which is the first big province of the open world).

I wasn't able to go to PAX this year, but I hate elongated demos for it because at PAX they give you a much shorter time to experience stuff. I was actually lucky when I played the original TEW demo at PAX since I was on a malfunctioning system, which isn't fun but as a result they gave me some extended time to play the original TEW1's demo for longer than most.

Originally Posted by nextgeneration

I cannot wait. Loved the first one.

I'm curious what people who liked and were less fond of the original game will think as this one comes and releases, guess we'll know soon enough.
Silent Hill
Awesome thread man.

I think the game will be great from what ive seen so far. Oct 13th cant come soon enough :)
LowRoller

Mikami isn't directing the game, John Johanas is.
nextgeneration
(09-13-2017, 04:59 PM)

Originally Posted by JaseC

That we're now just a month away from release and there has been no clarification whatsoever as to which version of id Tech the game uses strongly suggests to me Bethesda would rather avoid the question than confirm id Tech 5.

Yeah, I'm not very confident that this game at launch won't have performance issues. We'll see.
KainXVIII
(09-13-2017, 04:59 PM)

Originally Posted by LowRoller

Mikami isn't directing the game, John Johanas is.

Yeah, that's my main complain of TEW2 (and open-world'ish gameplay with sidequests)
Edammer
(09-13-2017, 05:00 PM)

Originally Posted by giancarlo123x

kuYuri
(09-13-2017, 05:00 PM)
Is the 60fps comment for the Pro and X1X versions? Cause the original release had issues maintaining 30, let alone anything higher. Unless there's some crazy dynamic settings thing going on with the console versions for TEW2.
Equanimity
(09-13-2017, 05:01 PM)
Good job on the thread.

I'll likely buy it if the performance is good and consistent on the PS4 Pro.
Dusk Golem

Read under technical setting,s it's a Frankenstein Engine this game is running on (that's not the name), but it's custom done by Tango themselves and uses parts from idTech 5 & 6, though also the recent demo was PC and units like PC Gamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun got their hands on the demo and mention it has a lot of PC bells and whistles and performance is good, so that's promising.
dancrane212
Won't be playing the game until the X releases but I'm definitely picking it up. The original, despite some issues, was something I really enjoyed so I'm happy to continue on with it.
Iscariot

Can you elaborate a little?
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-13-2017, 05:02 PM)

Ran out of room in the OP, but I want to ask you guys just to reiterate one more time, a month out how are you guys feeling towards The Evil Within 2? Positive, negative, thinking it'll find success, thinking it'll bomb? I'm curious where the current GAF tide is in general right now on the title with it so close to release.

It's kind of hard for me to imagine it finding a large audience in such a contested holiday season when there honestly doesn't seem to be too much excitement around it.

Bethesda hasn't been having a lot of successes with their recent releases either, and seems to be focusing their publishing effort on Wolfenstein 2 instead, which they're releasing at almost the same time.
Neptonic
OT level quality right here
malfcn
Golem, you need an Evil Within 2 Xbox One S.
ASilentProtagonist
(09-13-2017, 05:04 PM)
It is obvious that Bethesda has been trying to market this game similarly to how Capcom marketed RE7. It's not the right move for this game. TEW doesn't have the brand power of Resident Evil.

Shame! The actual release date is perfect.
VichoCardenas
Also coming out on the same day:

- iPhone X preorders
- Super Mario Odyssey
- The new Wolfenstein
- Assassin's Creed Origins
- Saw
- Stranger Things

Jesus.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Read under technical setting,s it's a Frankenstein Engine this game is running on (that's not the name), but it's custom done by Tango themselves and uses parts from idTech 5 & 6, though also the recent demo was PC and units like PC Gamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun got their hands on the demo and mention it has a lot of PC bells and whistles and performance is good, so that's promising.

Ah, oops, missed that header. I'd say that implies an id Tech 5/early id Tech 6 foundation, not unlike Void, which isn't exactly reassuring. Do you have a source, by the way?
Last edited by JaseC; 09-13-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Soul of the Beast
(09-13-2017, 05:05 PM)

Originally Posted by ASilentProtagonist

It is obvious that Bethesda has been trying to market this game similarly to how Capcom marketed RE7. It's not the right move for this game. TEW doesn't have the brand power of Resident Evil.

Shame! The actual release date is perfect.

Agreed, not to mention this isn't even directed by Mikami (biggest selling point of the first game), the series has a lot to prove.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(09-13-2017, 05:06 PM)
At this point the only thing I wanna know is if Bethesda is gonna do a reversible cover again for this one.

Originally Posted by Neptonic

OT level quality right here

well it kinda is one of those OTs of old (which aren't allowed anymore) that was posted a month before where everyone was just going hype hype hype :)
rtcn63
(09-13-2017, 05:08 PM)

Maybe they'll have a link to download FRAPS on the store page so you can run the game at a proper 60fps ;_;.

Or worse, Dishonored 2 performance.
Elfstar
(09-13-2017, 05:08 PM)

I'm glad to hear that, the original Evli Within was such a dumpster fire on pc.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(09-13-2017, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Elfstar

I'm glad to hear that, the original Evli Within was such a dumpster fire on pc.

it weirdly ran completely fine on my dusty old machine even then.
Orb
(09-13-2017, 05:11 PM)
Every time I see anything about this game, even just the name, I shiver. I guess since Silent Hill died super hard, all my emotional attachments to that series switched to Evil Within.

Im so excited for this to totally be the first real game I 100%

Originally Posted by TheMoon

At this point the only thing I wanna know is if Bethesda is gonna do a reversible cover again for this one.

Man, i hope so. The first's was beautiful.
Kwansu Dudes
(09-13-2017, 05:11 PM)
I'm waiting for reviews and word of mouth. If it's more of the same with minimal improvements, I'll wait for a hefty discount.
Dane_gerClose
(09-13-2017, 05:12 PM)
Honestly I have been extremely excited ever since it was announced. Both Evil Within and The New Order are in my top 5 of this gen, so knowing I'm getting sequels to both in the same month has me overloading.

Can't wait!
Laplasakos
Nice work Dusk Golem. I am so hyped for TEW2. I finished the first one again along the DLC, which i think it's the best story DLC out there.

Can't wait for it!
Hades Hotgun
My wife just got through chapter 10 of the original and we're hoping she can wrap it up in time for us to marathon part 2 the weekend of release.

Resident Evil 2 and 4 are possibly her favorite games ever but we were really surprised at how great TEW is despite the pretty abysmal performance and some design decisions which we'd heard about before she tried it out.

If TEW2 can clean things up a bit, then this may be a new all-time favorite of hers.

Thanks for all the info Dusk.

We can't wait for Friday the 13th!
EVA UNIT 01
Banned
Is that NYPD thing a typo cause he wasn't NYPD.
It wasn't even real world.
Kuraudo

It's the only game I'm really excited about for the rest of the year (I don't have a Switch so no Mario for me). I feel like I'm in the minority though and am not particularly confident it will be a success, especially with so many big franchises releasing around it.
Kazuhira
(09-13-2017, 05:13 PM)
Good idea of a summary 1 month prior to release to make some folks aware that the game exists.
Also that pic is dope as fuck,it would be a really good poster to frame.
Facism
Has there been any previews or information about the game running on console? Everything I've seen has been demoed on PC. Would love to know if the ps4 performance is going to be an adequate 30fps or full-on ass like the original.

Hoping to finish off Kiwami so i can do a fresh playthrough of the first game before this releases :)
rtcn63

Originally Posted by TheMoon

it weirdly ran completely fine on my dusty old machine even then.

On older CPU's, the game seems to have issue doing a proper 60fps (framepacing issues or whatever). The only way to remedy it was to have a program that hooked into the exe like FRAPS running at the same time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4TRi2KvQ0
Last edited by rtcn63; 09-14-2017 at 02:11 PM.
tonypark
(09-13-2017, 05:14 PM)
Why you doing this?! The wait is hard enough as it is!!!
Dane_gerClose
(09-13-2017, 05:14 PM)

Originally Posted by EVA UNIT 01

Is that NYPD thing a typo cause he wasn't NYPD.
It wasn't even real world.

KCPD, close enough I guess lol