For off-screen footage running on the Switch handheld please check this thread instead
They're impressed, but it's 30fps
Port by "Switch experts" Panic Button, who are also doing the Rocket League port
All of his impressions are based on playing in UNDOCKED mode
- Most ambitious cross platform Switch port yet
- "Utterly insane, how did they do that?"
- Post process pipeline mostly intact
- 30fps cap was "inevitable"
- Depth of field reduced but not removed
- Resolution is lower on Switch, dynamic, unsure of exact count
- Reduced textures
- "It's a good port!"
Here's the writeup
"Bottom line, I've played a respectable looking version of DOOM on what is effectively a tablet. And that is seriously impressive."
Judged on its own terms, Doom on Switch could be a winner based on our gameplay tests so far - but our hands-on was entirely handheld-based. On the one hand, we expect more consistent performance and improved resolution when docked, but on the other, playing on the big screen may highlight the cutbacks more. We'll just have to see. However, the basic idea of bringing Doom - and indeed Wolfenstein 2 - to Switch is just so ambitious, we have to applaud the developers for the effort. Hopefully the final code will deliver.