• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Tom Nook Sawyer
(09-29-2017, 06:03 AM)
Apparently this email just went out to members of the Nintendo Creators Program.

Wooooooow. This is the WRONG direction to be going in, Nintendo.
BurritoBushido
(09-29-2017, 06:04 AM)
WTF
arbok26
(09-29-2017, 06:04 AM)
Shocking!

Just when you think they’ve turned the corner.

Stopping people who want to promote your games. SMH.
Emitan
(09-29-2017, 06:05 AM)
Nintendo doesn't want anyone to make Youtube content about them at all...
Nairume
Guessing this is entirely in response to pdp.
McDougles
Backwards Nintendo never left; it just got a shiny new object to distract you.
What A Time To Be Alive
What da hell

Nintendo lost their dam mind
Makikou
Is this apt for the SEGA does what Nintendo doesn't?

I mean.. it is 2017 right?
FZZ
poop deee pie
LambdaTeos
(09-29-2017, 06:06 AM)
Interesting..just a few weeks before FE Warriors and Mario....

Originally Posted by Nairume

Did miss something?...
Vena

Almost certainly.
Zubz
Wait, even if you join their parasitic program, you're not able to livestream their stuff? They absolutely have to address this.
KJRS_1993
(09-29-2017, 06:07 AM)
I can imagine that Nintendo don't want their games associated with, or for kids searching for their games to be greeted by, cock heads who casually shout racial slurs at their in-game opponents. This is unfortunate and unfair, but inevitable.

Originally Posted by LambdaTeos

Not everything is a conspiracy out to mislead you and take your money ffs.
Last edited by KJRS_1993; 09-29-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Nairume
(09-29-2017, 06:07 AM)

Originally Posted by LambdaTeos

More like it's a just few weeks after the world's most famous streamer dropped the n word in a live stream.
Fukuzatsu
(09-29-2017, 06:08 AM)
This will surely evoke no backlash whatsoever.

And to think someone would come out with this after Atlus just got through catching heat for streaming/LP restrictions.
OrbitalBeard
Oh COME ON
J@hranimo
Something something Pewdiepie fucking shit up for everybody?
LambdaTeos

More like it's a just few weeks after the world's most famous streamer dropped the n word in a live stream.

Oh, then I did not miss anything...
Crayolan
Doesn't say they can't stream on Twitch.
Brawly Likes to Brawl
(09-29-2017, 06:09 AM)

If that's the case, then what an overresponse.

A simple, "If we catch you being a racist asshole, you're getting dropped." would suffice.
WrenchNinja
If you've got racist creators, this ain't going to stop them from outting themselves stupidly
Madao
how long until they pull this on Twitch?
Adam_Roman
That makes it sound like even if they're making content about different stuff other than Nintendo games, they can't livestream it either. If that's the case then that hurts a lot of big Nintendo channels like CND and even GameXplain
Quonny
(09-29-2017, 06:10 AM)
Twitch though.
danm999
(09-29-2017, 06:11 AM)
Difficult to not see this as a reaction to PDP.
Kyzer
RIP to Harambe, the gorilla who died
(09-29-2017, 06:11 AM)
*yells obscenities*
Smasher89
(09-29-2017, 06:12 AM)
Imagine a year with Nintendo coverage or gameplay have no online presence at all (including E3), how would the sales be then (if nintendo direct is basicly 100% of the "coverage").
Mushroomer25
(09-29-2017, 06:14 AM)
It's strange that they only specify YouTube as a part of this. If they're inherently opposed to streaming, wouldn't they also mention Twitch? Or is their Creators program somehow specific to YouTube?

In other words, is this just Nintendo failing to understand the web (a likely reason) - or is YouTube's ad program failing to pay out for Nintendo (possibly a likelier reason)?
Zap Rowsdower
Yup, just as people called it Pewdiepie's racist ass is starting to ruin it for everybody. Sucks for the non shitstain YouTubers but something had to come to a head because YouTube ain't gonna moderate their shit.
Last edited by Zap Rowsdower; 09-29-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Kyzer
RIP to Harambe, the gorilla who died

Originally Posted by Smasher89

Imagine a year with Nintendo coverage or gameplay have no online presence at all (including E3), how would the sales be then (if nintendo direct is basicly 100% of the "coverage").

youtube livestreams are 100% of coverage other than Nintendo Directs themselves? interesting..
hosannainexcelsis

Originally Posted by Mushroomer25

It's strange that they only specify YouTube as a part of this. If they're inherently opposed to streaming, wouldn't they also mention Twitch? Or is their Creators program somehow specific to YouTube?

In other words, is this just Nintendo failing to understand the web (a likely reason) - or is YouTube's ad program failing to pay out for Nintendo (possibly a likelier reason)?

The Creators Program is specific to YouTube.
FlutterPuffs
(09-29-2017, 06:15 AM)
Someone explain to me how this is a response to pdp?
Spukc
(09-29-2017, 06:15 AM)
bad reviews ban on youtube OP ?
some more info would be cool
The_Inquisitor
(09-29-2017, 06:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Brawly Likes to Brawl

If that's the case, then what an overresponse.

A simple, "If we catch you being a racist asshole, you're getting dropped." would suffice.

Dude this is Nintendo who has made their brand on an inclusive culture. They aren't going to take a chance on their brand for better or worse.
HerroRygar
(09-29-2017, 06:18 AM)

Originally Posted by FlutterPuffs

Because they don't want him or someone like him dropping a video of themselves saying the n word while playing Splatoon or something. Not being a livestream makes limiting the splash damage more likely.
Brawly Likes to Brawl

Originally Posted by Zap Rowsdower

Yup, just as people called it Pewdiepie's racist ass is starting to ruin it for everybody. Sucks for the non shitstain YouTubers but something had to come to a head because YouTube ain't gonna moderate their shit.

And the sad thing is that next time he screws up, people will still cape for him en masse.
danm999

Nintendo wants to mitigate the risk of one of their Creators, people they're in a business relationship with and make money off of, blurting out a racist slur on a live feed.
SalvaPot
(09-29-2017, 06:19 AM)

People could be livestreaming a Nintendo game while exposing viewers to questionable content. Like, you know, racial slurs.
FlutterPuffs
(09-29-2017, 06:19 AM)

Originally Posted by HerroRygar

Because they don't want him or someone like him dropping a video of themselves saying the n word while playing Splatoon or something. Not being a livestream makes limiting the splash damage more likely.

Was he also streaming a Nintendo game when he did it? I think ive read that he said it a few times.
danm999
(09-29-2017, 06:20 AM)

Was he also streaming a Nintendo game when he did it? I think ive read that he said it a few times.

No he was streaming PUBG.

However Nintendo are obviously afraid it could happen with one of their games.
Neoxon
(09-29-2017, 06:20 AM)
Well this is bullshit. So the likes of GameXplain who are part of the Nintendo Creators Program have to stream on Twitch, now?
J@hranimo
(09-29-2017, 06:21 AM)

I think he was playing PUBG or something.

Basically a non-Nintendo game at the time.
Veins

No he was playing PUBG
The_Inquisitor

Nintendo's always gone guns blazing when protecting their brand. Remember that Nintendo employee who spoke candidly on that podcast and got fired?
hosannainexcelsis
I suppose it's worth quoting from Nintendo's guidelines in the website linked in the email, which go into a bit more detail from their perspective:

Live streaming on YouTube falls outside the scope of the Nintendo Creators Program. You cannot broadcast content on YouTube Live from the account you have registered to the Nintendo Creators Program. If you plan to broadcast content on YouTube Live, you have a couple of options. First, you can broadcast content on YouTube Live from a channel that is not registered to the Nintendo Creators Program. Or, you can cancel your channel's registration to the Nintendo Creators Program and instead, register your videos containing Nintendo’s IP to the program separately. Videos which had previously been registered through your channel would need to be reregistered individually.

primasaurus
(09-29-2017, 06:22 AM)

Originally Posted by KJRS_1993

I can imagine that Nintendo don't want their games associated with, or for kids searching for their games to be greeted by, cock heads who casually shout racial slurs at their in-game opponents. This is unfortunate and unfair, but inevitable.

^ This

Nintendo rightfully doesn't want foul language to sully their products, streamers have abused that trust
AcademicSaucer
(09-29-2017, 06:22 AM)
It's Dailymotion time
Tom Nook Sawyer
(09-29-2017, 06:23 AM)

Originally Posted by hosannainexcelsis

I suppose it's worth quoting from Nintendo's guidelines in the website linked in the email, which go into a bit more detail from their perspective:

It should be noted that both options are extremly shitty.

Option 1 means you're not reaching ANY of your userbase, and instead have to build it from scratch. Option 2 means every video has a delay of several days before approval, AND you make less on them since Nintendo's shares a smaller % of the profits
mdubs
(09-29-2017, 06:23 AM)

Originally Posted by primasaurus

^ This

Nintendo rightfully doesn't want foul language to sully their products, streamers have abused that trust

Makes sense to me. PDP was the face of streaming and ruined that for the rest
astrogamer
(09-29-2017, 06:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Adam_Roman

That makes it sound like even if they're making content about different stuff other than Nintendo games, they can't livestream it either. If that's the case then that hurts a lot of big Nintendo channels like CND and even GameXplain

This is specific to the Nintendo's Creator Program. You have to specifically sign up for it either for the entire channel (a decent cut of the pay but, limits any games you play to the list they have) or video by video (Not very good cut, but you are free to do what you want on your channel). If you are video by video, this new rule doesn't apply.
There's also a separate youtuber's program for higher profile channels that started a few years prior. This one doesn't seem to have the same level of strictness and Nintendo tends to send these guys free games to play on their channel. Likely, the livestream restriction won't apply to them. I'm not sure if GameXplain is in this program or they are just counted as journalists