• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Celebrate Resident Evil 6s 5th Anniversary & talk about the future of Action RE

Jawmuncher

re6bannerxfssf.jpg

Today marks the 5th Anniversary of Resident Evil 6. Which is easily the most divisive entry in the series. Though against all odds has become a bit of cult classic even with it's flaws and has sold better than some would expect all things considered. Because RE6 and action related RE games seem to cause some strong feelings (So strong in fact that many posts won't even read the OP before decimating it). I'd figure we'd make this thread a bit of a celebration for those who enjoy it. As well as an informative piece for those still curious about the game and a discussion platform for what things could be improved if this style were to ever return. Even if you weren't a fan of the game at all. So without further ado.

The Good
For many fans of RE6 the best part of the game has always been in the gameplay itself above all else. While there is still those who dislike even that, it's easily the most appreciated aspect of the game itself when take as is. The main reason being that there isn't much else like it. In actuality the only series that has really mixed melee combat with guns to a successful extent and made it a core component of the gameplay itself is the Resident Evil franchise itself. Much like how the older titles put Survival Horror gameplay on the map. The later titles put that that style of Melee & Gunplay at the forefront. No other TPS offers the mechaincs of melee, countering, and dodging to the extreme that RE6 provided.
The next major positive for the game would be the characterization and the amount of content on display. Between 4 campaigns (All with co-op support) with a total of 7 canon playable characters (8 if you count the non-canon Agent in Ada's campaign). Between these 4 campaigns there's a lot of development in store for the character's present. It still stands as the biggest reunion of RE character's that in some way really celebrated the fact how long the series had been running at that point. This plus the Mercenaries mode and numerous MP modes on offer all in a $20 dollar package offer a lot of content to the player wishing to dig in.

The Bad
Even the biggest fans of RE6 know the game has plenty of problems. As mentioned earlier the huge size of the game. Especially with the campaigns in particular end up resulting in a lot of hands in the kitchen. So there ends up being a lot of inconsistency in the campaigns whether it be the gameplay or some of the story beats it hits. Especially when the more gimmicky sections such as vehicles come into play. On top of all that there are a lot of mechanics and features the game never even bothers to explain. Despite having a tutorial which is universally agreed on being the worst way to introduce the game ever conceived. Even to this day some of the bigger fans of the title are finding little things that change the way they play. Then there's of course the focus on action above all else. Which if anything is probably the biggest divisive factor of the game. A lot of people weren't pleased with such a turn in focus, especially when there was a chance this was the only future for the series.

The Future
So with all of that out of the way. What does the future hold for fans of action RE? In my personal opinion I think it'll return in some form. Hell it's already showing up in some ways in RE7's Not A Hero DLC. So it definitely seems like the legacy Action has had on the series as a whole won't be lost. While this is disappointing to some who prefer RE stay more survival horror than anything else. I find this is a good thing. Since it perhaps means that Capcom will finally do what many fans have been asking for. Offering titles in both forms so that the majority of the fanbase can get what they want in certain games. Even if it can't be every game that releases. This idea has been discussed numerous times. But it really stands as the best step forward. When looking at sales it's an obvious sign that there is more than enough fans to support both styles. Especially when you take the overlap of fans who're just here for the lore and characters more than anything else. Lastly between the recent interviews of RE7 and Vendetta. Capcom seems to be planning big things to try and bridge the fanbase more than it ever has in the past. Which would be something nice to see after the years of in-fighting.
Interested in trying the game?
Usually whenever one of these threads are made there's a few amount of people who want to give the game a go. To see if the years of backlash really stand out or if there is perhaps a bit of a diamond in the rough worth checking out. If that's the case i'd recommend checking out
Neiteios Guide on the game as well as the Recent OT or this very thread if you have further questions. The RE6 community here on GAF loves to help new players get into the game.
Also worth checking out: Sikshadow Remixes

My Fondest Memory of RE6
So the year RE6 was coming out I was deployed in Afghanistan. I did manage to get a 360 shipped down to me while I was down there though and this raggedy old TV someone prior had left behind. When I heard the news that there was a RE6 demo with Dragons Dogma. I remembered that on 360 (for whatever reason) you could burn demo files to a CD-R or DVD-R and play them just as is on the 360. I ended up finally getting off shift and sleeping by a computer in an office while the Demo Files downloaded. Once they downloaded and I finally had a chance to play it....I hated it. The camera was too close and it didn't sit quite right with me after so much muscle memory tied to RE4 and RE5. Once I started reading the demo thread here on GAF about the numerous things people were finding with the game play my interest was piqued however. Ended up getting pretty interested in how things might turn out for this. When the second demo hit I ended up doing the same thing as earlier to download it. With my newfound knowledge of the mechanics and the other hidden mechanics people were talking about. I came away enjoying the game far more than I had originally. So much so that when I finally came back to the states. It was the first game I went to. Ended up playing through the story both on PS3 and 360 back to back during my leave. It was nice having a such a fun game to come back home to (Along with all of the other stuff of course).

mkU5Y6V.gif
JZiGm2G.gif
sCr3A9k.gif

Images by Seyavesh

So what about you GAF? What are your fondest memories of RE6? If no fond memories what would you have liked to see improved in the game itself or action RE as a whole. If possible i'd like to see this thread as more civil than our usual RE discussions. We all have our preferences of course. But at this point I don't think there's any changing of minds with whatever you prefer. So better to just offer constructive criticism on wherever the discussion might go than any sort of vitriol on who's RE is the best RE.

strafer

Great game.

Helena and Leon sitting in a tree...

Also my favorite performance by RCS as Chris, he really nailed it.

RE6 was some great times hanging out with a friend I lost contact with in the last few years.

Constant co-op story followed up by massive amounts of co-op mercenaries.

Bishop89

the only complaint I really have for the title is the bloated chapters. They just go on and on and on and on.

And some questionable Quick time prompts.

Other than that, graphics were great, Ada was great <3, gameplay was really fun.

terrible, terrible game. Shooting feels floaty and impactless. You trip over dead bodies while running around. Shit story and pacing. Bad QTEs. Doesn't feel like a RE game.

Beautiful graphics and cinematography, though. I'll give it that.

Blueblur1

Let me reiterate that I'd still like a new action RE game with tank controls. Just take RE Mercs 3D controls and animations and make a new game. With the added ability to walk while aiming RE Mercs 3D is the best playing/controlling action RE, IMO.

Stygr

Banned
RE5 and 6 are the best co-op games in the last generation, i mean, 40/50 hours of gameplay between all games, the expansion and Mercenaries with your buddy is some good shit.

Pinktaco

I had happily forgotten about this POS game, thanks OP :D

I finished it with a friend in co-op quite some time ago. I remember how it felt like it just kept on going on and on. Lots of different story arcs, which really didn't do the game any good imo.

I suppose the "best" thing about this game was the over-the-top ridiculousness of the action. Just when you think things can't go anymore bananas the game pulls out something new. It was hilarious in its own right.

I suppose as a co-op game it was alright.

RE6 is the epitome of game design schizophrenia.

Go back to good RE's (both action and horror, REmake and RE4 both stand at the top of their genres) philosophy where they pulled off a single concept exceptionally well, instead of throwing in a million different ideas and executing them all terribly.

kunonabi

I lpved Jake and Sherry's campaign and Leon being a more natural evolution of his RE2 self than that garbage they peddled in RE4. Everything else was terrible.

The combat mechanics were great but the main campaigns really don't make good use of them and are just a poor fit for RE anyway.

Anbec7

I still play this game Mercenaries mode, I really liked it a lot and play it with friends still..
Sure the campaign was rough in some cases but after those patches the game played fine.

The issue is that good gameplay/controls and co-op make horror games...well, not very scary.
But then you get RE7 with not so great controls but it’s scarier.

Not sure what the future for it is. Revelations could’ve kept it alive, but it seems so low budget.

Maybe ditching co-op but making it a more of a tense single player shooter like RE4.
Maybe copying some Dark Souls design like the RE4 town in Bloodborne

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As time goes on I realize Helena is one of the best RE characters. She's great.

Love RE6. Great game, unbelievably good mechanics.

You either think Resident Evil 5 and 6 are fucking amazing or you're wrong.

What a pair of absolutely dumb games. I love them.

I really liked it when it came out and thought it was weird others didn't. I considered RE5 a huge downgrade from RE4. RE5's co-op didn't gel with RE4's gameplay. It felt lazily jammed in by force.
On the other hand, RE6 was made from the ground up with co-op and fast paced combat in mind and I think it feels more natural. It plays fantastically and I'd say it's easily in the top 5 of third person shooters even all these years later.
The multiple campaigns definitely have their problems but the gameplay is just too damn good.

legacyzero

Banned
You spelled 'mourn' wrong.

RE6 was an absolute embarrassment to the franchise. And I'm saying that as nicely as I can. Assignment Ada was about the only redeemable portion of it. WAY too big a project with too much filler that lacked focus, direction, and competency. With the few issues RE7 has, you can clearly tell that Calvin learned a big lesson from RE6.

If RE6 would have had one major campaign, better focus on that one storyline, fewer characters, and no forced co-op, (which was my complaint about RE5 as well). It would have been a more enjoyable game.

RE was born from horror, survival, creepy locales, andover-the-top badguys and adversaries, etc.

RE6 was barely any of that. It's the Final Fantasy XIII of its flagship.
You either think Resident Evil 5 and 6 are fucking amazing or you're wrong.

What a pair of absolutely dumb games. I love them.
I would have been OK with giving RE5 a pass for that. At least it nailed its focus. It's environment. It's direction. RE6 just didn't. At all.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I can't believe it's been half a decade since they dropped this turd, things have improved a bit since then but the franchise is still in a weird limbo. I don't feel like Capcom have a clear vision for the series and I don't think they have the money or talent to make a genuine successor to RE4.

ZeroCDR

Beautifully mediocre RE title with a lot to like, but just as much to hate. I'd rather play it over CVX or 0 at least. Baby mode QTE's and playing with a friend really help up the enjoyment factor, but the amazing combat is wasted on largely lousy enemy and level design.

Lagamorph

No more stealth sections in a game with no mechanics to support stealth please.
That stealth section in the lab in Sherry and Jake's chapters was awful in every way.

luulubuu

Prediction for Action Re:

Not direct sequel of 6, lowkey connection to other games, new hero, maybe Jake, you are part of a new counter terrorism group, or maybe no.

Action like 6 with levels designed with that in mind, not what we got in 6

I've seen a couple people say they like RE6, but when asked what it is they like, they usually say the controls are good and that the game brings together so many characters that it evokes feelings of nostalgia for the older games. If I press them to be more specific about what parts of the game they thought were good, they maybe rattle off the same two or three stand-out sections (in a 30+ hour campaign) and struggle to recall anything else from the game.

Sesha

Reuse assets from 4-6 to create titles with similar gameplay.

Release Mercenaries HD as a stand-alone Mercenaries game with characters, maps and enemies from across the series. Use RE6's Mercenaries as a basis. Launch Mercenaries Online as an online-only MP title with a focus on Asian markets. Both titles can also easily be expanded to include other game modes, such as Raid mode and possibly a PUBG mode, or themed content based on other Capcom IPs like Dino Crisis.

Furthermore, expand and diversify the franchise. What I mean by that is, create branches of RE. I like idea of having the numbered FP games, classic-style remasters and subtitled OTS games. Have that, and have subtitled OTS games with different styles. Revelations as horror games focused on neglected and/or supporting characters, Mercenaries multiplayer titles, and finally have other subtitled RE games continue the RE4-6 action heavy/co-op mold. As Ass Creed, CoD, Battlefield and other franchises show, you can have subtitled games perform like mainline sequels if the quality, content and marketing/visibility is there. As 2012 showed, you can have multiple vastly different RE games release in a short span and be successful. Obviously having multiple entries in a year, several years in a row will just lead to brand fatigue. But having different RE titles with different gameplay styles released cyclically ensures all audiences are catered too, and decreases the chance of fatigue. Make one smaller scale RE4-6 title, gauge sales, then sequelize as needed.

Finally, reuse RE6's combat mechanics for a Dino Crisis revival. Finish the story of DC2 in the prologue.

There. Everybody is happy.

The only main RE game that I finished only once and couldn’t get back to it ( except Leon’s campaign I finished it again ).

There was so much they could have used and done with the story and cast but it was all wasted away sadly.

I hope it was the last main action RE game.... I like the direction RE7 took, but hopefully next one is a 3rd person and it would be Perfect!

Played through it in co-op with a friend who I've lost connection with. It was one of the last things we did together. Thinking about the game leads to a pretty weird response from me tbh.

I guess that's a pretty good parallel for action Resident Evil/RE6 now.

BadWolf

A TPS combat system second only to Vanquish.

Love returning to this game from time to time and playing one of the campaigns or messing around in Mercs. Easily one of my most replayed games from last gen and in the series.

As for the future, a proper action RE has to have a proper budget tbh. If they half ass it then the most they can probably hope for is Revelations 2 like sales numbers.

Arklite

Fantastic combat. The levels were sort of constrained for the amount of movement given, but it barely mattered. It was such a unique and versatile scheme, though it retained a sort of odd rigidity that I personally liked.

Jawmuncher

You spelled 'mourn' wrong.

RE6 was an absolute embarrassment to the franchise. And I'm saying that as nicely as I can. Assignment Ada was about the only redeemable portion of it. WAY too big a project with too much filler that lacked focus, direction, and competency. With the few issues RE7 has, you can clearly tell that Calvin learned a big lesson from RE6.

If RE6 would have had one major campaign, better focus on that one storyline, fewer characters, and no forced co-op, (which was my complaint about RE5 as well). It would have been a more enjoyable game.

RE was born from horror, survival, creepy locales, andover-the-top badguys and adversaries, etc.

RE6 was barely any of that. It's the Final Fantasy XIII of its flagship.

I would have been OK with giving RE5 a pass for that. At least it nailed its focus. It's environment. It's direction. RE6 just didn't. At all.

As much as I love RE6, i'll be the first to call it out on a lot of it's bullshit. Even now I skip a lot of sections in the game when I go back and replay it. I think the big thing for me at least is my connection with Dino Crisis 1 and Dino Crisis 2. Those two games are as separate as can be. So playing them at a young age and enjoying both immensely, I kinda moved past any sort of "Games need to keep with their gameplay roots". Since for me so long as the lore is present I think it's all fair game.
Obviously that's not the case for everyone especially when for many gameplay is first before anything else. So I still understand why many such as yourself just aren't keen on it at all. Since for me personally I just want a fun game before any sort of ideals towards what a game should be due to it's legacy comes up.
Another part of that is RE1 going to RE6 felt like a natural progression of things. Compared to say Dino Crisis 1 and then fucking being in outspace with aliens. But once again I can see how the action taking to another level is seen as the outerspace & aliens in a sense.
Regardless I hope they stick with catering to both fans from here on out. I'd actually like to see the mainline stay experimental and go back and forth on what it wan'ts to do. While spin-offs are made to cater to either action or horror. Since I don't feel any specific style has a claim to being the only one's tied to the big numbers and big budgets. Especially with how the franchise was essentially Both horror and action with the main titles for the same length of time until RE7 recently.

Top Bottom