• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn 10 announce Forza Motorsport 7 VIP changes after negative fan feedback

VIP and Ultimate

Over the weekend we heard loud and clear from Ultimate Edition owners expressing frustration over the VIP membership offer in Forza Motorsport 7. We immediately updated the VIP description in the Windows Store to alleviate any future confusion. As head of the studio, I apologize for any confusion or frustration our players may have experienced.

Going forward, we will continue to ensure that Forza Motorsport 7 VIPs receive the most value for their VIP membership, including new experiences and great content. Starting today we’re sending all Forza Motorsport 7 VIPs three additional Forza Edition cars:

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE Project 7 Forza Edition
2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Forza Edition
2010 Maserati Gran Turismo S Forza Edition

Forza 7 VIPs will be able to download all these cars from the in-game message center and add them to their car collection. Players will not only enjoy an immediate bump to their Car Collection score after adding these Tier 5 Legendary cars to their garages, they’ll also be able to take advantage of the inherent perks that each of these Forza Edition cars offer. In addition to the cars, we’re also sending all Forza 7 VIPs 1 million credits.

Secondly, and even more significantly, we will be changing VIP rewards in Forza Motorsport 7. This new system will work like it did in Forza Motorsport 6, offering a 2X base credit bonus after every race. We’ve already started work on this feature and we will release it as soon as possible. Look for more information on this update as we near the release date.

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_launch_update

I'm getting the biggest case of dejavu I've had in a long time. Didn't they make like the exact same comments in response to "fan feedback" before?

Rymuth

I'm getting the biggest case of dejavu I've had in a long time. Didn't they make like the exact same comments in response to "fan feedback" before?

This is the crux of Jim Sterlings argument - be jubilant, but stay vigilant. Never take listen to those who try to silence you calling out shit when you see it.

Yeah forza 5 iirc

Yes, Forza 5.

Ah good glad to know I'm not crazy haha

This is the crux of Jim Sterlings argument - be jubilant, but stay vigilant. Never take listen to those who try to silence you calling out shit when you see it.

Yea seems clear they tried to pull something just to see how far they could push things. It's a good thing that most of the fans of the franchise actually made their outrage and objections clear. Those who are blinded by brand loyalty always fail to see how their refusal to criticize is counter to both their interests and the interest of the very same brands they love so much.

U2NUMB

Hell yea.. annoyed we had to make a stink but I will give them credit for changing it back and pretty damn quickly. So good on them for owning up to the stupid system they rolled out.

And so many people were acting like Jim Sterling was the one in the wrong for 'wasting his time' complaining about all this. "It's just the way things are now and we have to accept it."

Loot boxes still staying?

Good. Now about those loot boxes...

giphy.webp

I wish.

Bsigg12

And so many people were acting like Jim Sterling was the one in the wrong for 'wasting his time' complaining about all this. "It's just the way things are now and we have to accept it."

I haven't been able to watch his video but wasn't he ripping into them for the loot boxes or did he get into the changes of VIP as well?

This doesn't really sound that substantial, especially given that the loot boxes are staying. It seems like the biggest issue is that the core progression is hindered and that doesn't seem to be impacted by the changes they're talking about.

Hexer06

Good on them to do this, even though it kinda sux it had to be done in the first place. Please don't taint Forza Horizon 4 with this same stuff.

IISANDERII

For sure. Now that they've done this amazing favour of giving back something that was always there to begin with, they're now in good graces so loyal fans will more easily tolerate being subjected to skinner boxes and other psychological trickery.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This is why making your voices heard is a good thing folks.

LOL yeah right. Listen guys, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this was all planned from the beginning. This is just their way of getting the Forza franchise more exposure.

Sucks for those of you who jumped the gun and requested a refund. It pays to have a little patience. I bought the Ultimate Edition and just sat quietly observing from the sidelines.

For sure. Now that they've done this amazing favour of giving back something that was always there to begin with, they're now in good graces so loyal fans will more easily tolerate being subjected to skinner boxes and other psychological trickery.
Pretty much.

This is how publishers keep getting away with this, they hear the outcry and change something back leaving something more insidious in place.

LOL yeah right. Listen guys, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this was all planned from the beginning. This is just their way of getting the Forza franchise more exposure.

Sucks for those of you who jumped the gun and requested a refund. It pays to have a little patience. I bought the Ultimate Edition and just sat quietly observing from the sidelines.

1hlgkw.jpg

borges

Banned
This doesn't really sound that substantial, especially given that the loot boxes are staying. It seems like the biggest issue is that the core progression is hindered and that doesn't seem to be impacted by the changes they're talking about.

No, "core progression" is not hindered, and yes, 2X CRs is an impactful change.

vg260

I don't believe they planned for an outcry/rollback, but this wouldn't surprise me as a result.

You still have to pay extra for VIP just to be less manipulated by the loot box system.

WaterAstro

This is why making your voices heard is a good thing folks.
Sometimes I feel like protest about game issues are so common that game companies intentionally make a bad release of something that they know they will change so that they can look like they are listening to its audience, but it's really them seeing how far they can push it.

Grisby

Good on Turn10 for making the changes. Be good to your fans man.

Hoping the loot box stuff doesn't make it's way into Horizon.

NoPiece

You can play and enjoy the whole game without needing to open a single loot box.

You started by saying core progression is not hindered. It is, by moving moving race difficulty bonuses to consumable mods in crates. You may still be able play and enjoy the whole game, but you either have to grind through more slowly, or gamble with loot crates.

from the Eurogamer review:

If rare cars are the lure for prize crates, mods are the hook they hope to sink into you. These limited-use cards apply conditions to a race in return for a credit or XP reward, and have been fleshed out from their rather pointless implementation in Forza 6. Some mod conditions are a fun challenge - for example, completing a number of perfect corners or clean passes. Controversially, though, the only way to get an improved reward for increasing the difficulty of your race by turning off assists - which used to be automatic - is now via mods. And the only way to get mods is from crates.

Prize crates aren't cheap, so you have to spend credits to make credits using mods. This feels like a rather solipsistic activity. Presumably it pays off in the long run, but shouldn't you be thinking about racing instead?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-04-forza-motorsport-7-review

You can play and enjoy the whole game without needing to open a single loot box.

I'm talking about the locks they place behind being able to buy cars based on what your rank is. USgamer summed it up pretty well:

'In addition, many cars are locked behind Tiers, meaning you need to own a certain number of vehicles before you even get the option to purchase them. So folks race to gain CR, to buy prize crates, to get consumable mods, to gain CR, to buy other vehicles, to raise their Tier level, to eventually buy the vehicles they want. Worse, some cars are only available within crates.'

Yes, the doubling of CR for VIP members sounds like it'll help that a bit. My problem is that they're pushing people to spend more money on VIP just to avoid their shitty loot box system.

GHG

Bu but but I enjoy racing.

Edit: Of course they're staying.

Good. Now about those loot boxes...

If enough people keep pushing they might change it so that everything in the shitty lootboxes system can be obtained as normal with credits. If people stop pushing and say "this is fine, I don't see the big deal" (which some people are already doing for reasons unknown to me) then nothing changes.

Make your voices heard.

I might consider getting VIP now if they confirm all these cars and perks are also to be made available to people who purchase it now. I'm supportive of these types of changes, it's the correct way to get extra money from customers.

You do realise that attitudes like this (the turning a blind eye and hand waving) is why it will only get worse right?

Because if you want to get access to everything in the game then you do need to start opening loot boxes, it's already been covered in multiple threads.

oti

Banned
I mean if the outcry is loud enough, maybe they’ll learn? What else can we do? I couldn’t refund my game in time. I was out there doing Ram runs like an idiot.
This is a business. Companies need to make more money in order to be interested in this all sorts of broken AAA market and engage with it. Loot boxes are here to stay.

I'm talking about the locks they place behind being able to buy cars based on what your rank is. USgamer summed it up pretty well:

'In addition, many cars are locked behind Tiers, meaning you need to own a certain number of vehicles before you even get the option to purchase them. So folks race to gain CR, to buy prize crates, to get consumable mods, to gain CR, to buy other vehicles, to raise their Tier level, to eventually buy the vehicles they want. Worse, some cars are only available within crates.'

Yes, the doubling of CR for VIP members sounds like it'll help that a bit. My problem is that they're pushing people to spend more money on VIP just to avoid their shitty loot box system.
Not only are some cars limited to crates, but if you get a car through a crate its not locked behind your tier level like it would be through normal (non-crate) progression. They built an inventory based tier system to lock cars behind and then punched a hole through those locks with their prize crates. Thats called 'convenience' in 2017.

But the VIP thing raised even more of a stink since it was a pretty clear bait-and-switch on their most dedicated fans.

This is a business. Companies need to make more money in order to be interested in this all sorts of broken AAA market and engage with it. Loot boxes are here to stay.
Maybe they should stop to consider who broke it.

jabuseika

Meh, they're still not going back on the overarching changes to the cr system.

This changes nothing but for the few that paid a lot more than $60.

IISANDERII

I don't believe they planned for an outcry/rollback, but this wouldn't surprise me as a result.

You still have to pay extra for VIP just to be less manipulated by the loot box system.
I think what they always try to do is keep pushing for what they can get away with. They stepped too far this time and have had to reel it back but next time they'll try something less obvious.

dreamfall

So what are you saying? You want these prize crates to stay? Do you think they’re absolutely necessary? Because I’m genuinely curious. Locking cars behind crates is shit. Using driver gear and outfits to push micro transactions seems completely pointless. Not awarding credits for tuning settings is a misstep. At what point does color customization become a nickel and dime practice also? Where do you draw the line?

If your game is budgeted so poorly that it can't survive without loot boxes, you should maybe reconsider making the game you made.

A full price game shouldn't need a free to play economy.

vg260

Fine, then put out content people can choose to buy if they want without having to gamble for it then.

oti

Banned
Maybe they should stop to consider who broke it.

And then what? If we want nice AAA graphics and high quality content on this scale we now expect, we have to come to terms with companies seeking new ways to monetize. Game development is expensive and gets more and more expensive. Asking who's responsible for this is meaningless and I don't think the answer is as clear as you would want it to be.

So what are you saying? You want these prize crates to stay? Do you think they’re absolutely necessary? Because I’m genuinely curious. Locking cars behind crates is shit. Using driver gear and outfits to push micro transactions seems completely pointless. Not awarding credits for tuning settings is a misstep. At what point does color customization become a nickel and dime practice also? Where do you draw the line?
I don't want any of this but it doesn't matter. These loot boxes work. As long as they work, companies will implement them. That's how the market works.
If your game is budgeted so poorly that it can't survive without loot boxes, you should maybe reconsider making the game you made.

A full price game shouldn't need a free to play economy.
Without the free to play economy I'd imagine Forza and many other games to lack content and features we and the average consumer expect from those games nowadays.
Fine, then put out content people can choose to buy if they want without having to gamble for it then.
That's defeating the purpose, sadly. The goal here is to potential make limitless money. Not to just have a higher revenue ceiling. And just to be clear, I'm not cheerleading for any of this. But that's just how this business works.

Top Bottom