• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the first level is the best

Phediuk

I thought the very first fight in the village in Resident Evil 4 was the coolest part of the whole game. It was so open and there were so many enemies, so many possible tactics you could use, so many ways to get past the fight. I was disappointed that the game never got back up to that scale or level of freedom again. In fact, I started a new game a few times just to play that first sequence once more.

you?

dugdug

Banned
Most recently RUINER made an amazing first impression.

Then it kinda made that impression over and over again but with diminishing returns.

Zojirushi

Too many unfortunately. Front load your shit with all the cool stuff then half ass it at the end because nobody finishes games anyway seems like a common dev MO nowadays.

Unfortunately that's kinda like a self fulfilling prophecy because who will bother getting to the end after your n-th disappointing ending?

originalshez

Neo Member
Final Fantasy 7. Midgar is the best section of that game.

And as divisive as it was, I think the opening hour of MGS V is absolutely stunning. The game does lots of good things, but nothing made me go 'holy fuck' the way that intro did

Phediuk

Every God of War game tbqh.

The hydra, the colossus, and Poseidon were the best parts of 1, 2 and 3, respectively.

Shadow of the Empire

22166-star-wars-shadows-of-the-empire-windows-screenshot-at-at-harpooned.jpg

Sheroking

Resident Evil 7

The first maybe hour of that game is the best part

Couldn't disagree more. That game doesn't pick up until that prologue is over and you have decisions to make.

Resident Evil 4 on the other hand.... although the rest of the game is really good, that village is one of the best and atmospheric settings in any game ever.

Final Fantasy 7. Midgar is the best section of that game.

Sure, but Midgar is something like 1/3rd of the game. Not quite "the first level".

You can probably break it down to half a dozen chapters in and of itself.

God of war 3

I love the game in general but that first level pumps you up and all the rest of the game while its good, is doesn't reach the same level. Especially the end fight, they could have do a lot more with the setting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Every fucking Santa Monica GoW-game

18-Volt

Anybody said God of War 2? Yeah, GoW2. That Colossus fight was one of most epic boss fights in all gaming history.

Nearly went on a rant about Resident Evil 4 before reading the OP lol, so yeah I agree with you.

All 3 main areas had their moments, and the
Iron Maiden
scenes near the end come close, but that opening lives long in the memory, shows the immense confidence they (rightly) had in the game's mechanics that they threw you straight into that space with so many Ganados and the potential for a super enemy to appear.

Speaking of that opening I've always been curious as to what it is that causes the bell to ring, apart from what we learn in Separate Ways obviously. Is it a set amount of time? Number of enemies killed? Number of steps moved?

Pejo

Mega Man X intro stage

I love this game and I don't agree with this. It's a great tutorial but not the best level even remotely. Armored Armadillo is great, Storm Eagle too.

Anyways, my pick is Metal Gear Rising. That Rules of Nature part wasn't dethroned in the rest of the game, despite it getting pretty close for some of the bosses.

Every Sonic game.

Can't really speak for the 3D titles but I disagree with the original games. For Sonic 2 Chemical Plant Zone is way more loved level than the first stage, same with Stardust Speedway in Sonic CD. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is up for debate but I think most people love the other stages in the game over Angel Island Zone.

Top Bottom