• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Hero of Legend
(10-14-2017, 12:54 PM)
I was just reminded of a huge WTF moment was when I discovered just by looking at the back of the box that Genius Sonority (Pokemon Colosseum, XD, Battle Revolution) developed... the first CG Tinker Bell game on DS:

Think it only got so-so reviews. This was just after their supposed downscaling after Dragon Quest Swords came out (and why we've not seen another major console RPG from them...).

Another has to be that Nintendo's Brownie Brown (now 1UP-Studio) co-developed Blue Dragon Plus for DS alongside feelplus+... which is a Microsoft IP.

I'm sure you guys have some crazy examples. Share them! :)

Edit: You can include individuals if you wish also. :)
kulapik
(10-14-2017, 12:56 PM)

Developed by FROM Software
Yohane
(10-14-2017, 12:57 PM)

Goof Troop snes by Shinji Mikami

I loved that game as a kid.
Killyoh
(10-14-2017, 12:59 PM)
Nintendo making the Hamtaro games.

Viva Pinata on Nintendo DS was also a strange case of a Microsoft IP on a Nintendo console. Even weirder, it was still developped by Rare and published by THQ.

ryushe
(10-14-2017, 12:59 PM)
Not entirely on the same level as previous choices, but I remember being like Wtf!? (as well as completely disappointed) when I found out that Samus Returns was being made by Mercurysteam.
Garrett Hawke
(10-14-2017, 01:00 PM)

Originally Posted by kulapik

Sequel pls
osnameless
(10-14-2017, 01:00 PM)
Spider-Man 2 (& Web of Shadows) by Treyarch

Not that those games are bad (I loved Web of Shadows), it is just after Treyarch was associated with COD, it was kinda a shock when I found out that both games were developed by them.
Falk
that puzzling face
(10-14-2017, 01:01 PM)
Thexder, a DOS sidescrolling action game I used to play a shit ton, was made by Game Arts. (Lunar, Grandia, etc)
V_Ben
Banned
(10-14-2017, 01:01 PM)

Originally Posted by osnameless

Spider-Man 2 (& Web of Shadows) by Treyarch

Not that those games are bad (I loved Web of Shadows), it is just after Treyarch was associated with COD, it was kinda a shock when I found out that both games were developed by them.

This post made me feel old, because I remember going ‘why are the Spider-Man people making Call of Duty now?’
Link1110
(10-14-2017, 01:02 PM)
Friday the 13th for NES by Atlus. I guess they had to make money to buy the Megami Tensei license from Namco somehow.

Found this out today actually.
TeamLeftMatch
(10-14-2017, 01:03 PM)

Was developed by Monolith (make sense considering this game is good)

Was developed by DICE.
cj_iwakura
(10-14-2017, 01:04 PM)
Atlus R&D1 made Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land under an alias.
Also, the Devil Survivor games were basically made by CareerSoft(the Growlanser team).
osnameless
(10-14-2017, 01:04 PM)

Originally Posted by V_Ben

This post made me feel old, because I remember going ‘why are the Spider-Man people making Call of Duty now?’

Oh, sorry man....

I love how you had it the other way around.

To add to that, I found out this detail like last year, hence the shock. I was already into video games and had played Spider-Man 2 when it came out, it is just I never paid attention to developers at the time.
Alexander DeLarge
(10-14-2017, 01:10 PM)
Everything since Singularity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_Software

Please Activision, let them go.
purseowner
(10-14-2017, 01:15 PM)

Came here to say this one.

Pokemon Colosseum is one of my favourite games of all time so er... I'm gonna need that Tinkerbell game.
Strings
(10-14-2017, 01:17 PM)
Kotaro Uchikoshi's first job in the game industry (writer of Ever17 and the Zero Escape series (999, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma)) was creating 3D models for Pepsi Man:

Zomba13
(10-14-2017, 01:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Alexander DeLarge

Everything since Singularity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_Software

Please Activision, let them go.

Every so often I remember Raven and my heart aches a bit.
Joey Ravn
(10-14-2017, 01:20 PM)
Name three Blizzard games that aren't Warcraft, Starcraft or Overwatch.

Blackthorne.

Rock n' Roll Racing.

The Lost Vikings.

Kinda cheating, since they weren't known as Blizzard back then, but the studio is the same.
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(10-14-2017, 01:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Strings

Kotaro Uchikoshi's first job in the game industry (writer of Ever17 and the Zero Escape series (999, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma)) was creating 3D models for Pepsi Man:

More Pepsi man please
Hero of Legend
(10-14-2017, 01:25 PM)

Originally Posted by purseowner

Came here to say this one.

Pokemon Colosseum is one of my favourite games of all time so er... I'm gonna need that Tinkerbell game.

Just grab Pokemon Battle Trozei on 3DS eShop if you can and haven't. It's really good, plus they got Tsukasa Tawada back for the music (he did all three console Pokemon games at GS).
Astral/H3X
(10-14-2017, 01:27 PM)

Originally Posted by V_Ben

Ha! I remember thinking the same thing.
blly155
(10-14-2017, 01:27 PM)
whoops
Thud
(10-14-2017, 01:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Astral/H3X

Ha! I remember thinking the same thing.

Ditto.

And I'm not even that old :P
Piers
(10-14-2017, 01:29 PM)
Mark Cerny was Producer for Sonic 2.
Had to stop and do a double-take when I saw his name in the smartphone remaster.

Originally Posted by TeamLeftMatch

The backgrounds screamed Chrono Cross so much that there has to be some artists from that game who worked on this.
Jakten
(10-14-2017, 01:30 PM)
Had an old Windows 3.1 adventure game that I used to play called Dare to Dream. Hooked it back up a few years ago and started playing only to see it was made by Cliffy B.

The developer of Senran Kagura (Tamsoft) also developed Toshinden and Guardian's Crusade/Knight and Baby?
blly155
(10-14-2017, 01:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Joey Ravn

Blackthorne.

Rock n' Roll Racing.

The Lost Vikings.

Kinda cheating, since they weren't known as Blizzard back then, but the studio is the same.

If we're cheating then...

made by the same studio that did GTA. known then as DMA Design.
harz-marz
(10-14-2017, 01:33 PM)

Nintendo characters in a game developed by Sega.
Oblivion
Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
(10-14-2017, 01:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Yohane

This is a good one.
Fat4all
(10-14-2017, 01:34 PM)

From the makers of WWF No Mercy and Def Jam: Fight for New York
Syril
(10-14-2017, 01:37 PM)
Star Control and Skylanders developer Toys for Bob also made this magical girl crossover game.
@MUWANdo
Banned
(10-14-2017, 01:38 PM)
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.
Baalzebup
(10-14-2017, 01:44 PM)

Blackthorne.

Rock n' Roll Racing.

The Lost Vikings.

I don't even need to cheat. Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo III.
Flux
(10-14-2017, 01:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Fat4all

From the makers of WWF No Mercy and Def Jam: Fight for New York

With all the clothing and hair options in those games, it's not really a stretch.
OBias
(10-14-2017, 02:00 PM)

Was developed by DICE.

Also was the first game that used deferred rendering, if I remember correctly.
Forkball
(10-14-2017, 02:01 PM)

Metroid Prime Federation Force was developed by Next Level Games, known for the Mario Strikers series, Punch Out Wii, and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. When MPFF was first shown, I think everyone overlooked this due to virulent rage.

Also it's well-known that Game Freak, the developers of Pokemon, make other titles, but they also made some very notable titles for Nintendo platforms before they made it big. Yoshi and the Japan exclusive Mario&Wario were developed by Game Freak with Satoshi Tajiri in the director's chair. Masuda also did the music for both games.

In terms of actual people, I think people often mistake the roles of certain developers. Aonuma was the face of BotW, but did you know he didn't direct it? Same with Koizumi and Super Mario Odyssey. Obviously the producer of a game has a massive role, but I think a lot of people tend to mix up the two positions.

Mario (director):
Shigeru Miyamoto: SMB, SM64
Takashi Tezuka: The Lost Levels, SMB 3, SMW, SM64
Yoshiaki Koizumi: SM64, SMS (with Kenta Usui), SMG
Koichi Hayashida: SMG2, SM3DL, SM3DW
Kenta Motokura: SM3DW, SMO

The NSMB has three different directors for four games. Not even going into the billion spinoffs. And that's right, the director of Sunshine went on to direct Galaxy. Talk about bouncing back. The director of Skyward Sword also directed Breath of the Wild.
Kilrogg
paid requisite penance
(10-14-2017, 02:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Syril

Star Control and Skylanders developer Toys for Bob also made this magical girl crossover game.

They also made

JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(10-14-2017, 02:07 PM)

Blackthorne.

Rock n' Roll Racing.

The Lost Vikings.

Diablo
Diablo 2
Diablo 3

;)
Zee-Row
Banned
(10-14-2017, 02:07 PM)
Rad Racer and 3-D Worldrunner were made by Squaresoft.
MrBadger
(10-14-2017, 02:09 PM)
I was surprised to find out that Wayforward were behind all the mediocre Spongebob GBA games I had when I was younger, as well as a lot of other licensed stuff on GBA and DS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WayForward_Technologies
Joey Ravn
(10-14-2017, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Baalzebup

I don't even need to cheat. Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo III.

Warcraft II, Warcraft III, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II. Yeah, I get it, and you probably got it too.

*sigh*

Originally Posted by JaseC

Diablo
Diablo 2
Diablo 3

;)

Same.
ZarKryn7
(10-14-2017, 02:12 PM)

David Jaffe as co-designer
Thelonelykoopa
(10-14-2017, 02:13 PM)

Developed by Game Freak the developers of Main Stream Pokemon Games for Xbox 1,Playstation 4 and PC but not the WiiU .
Keinning

Never thought Shinji Mikami deserved half of the praise he gets

Now i believe the man is underrated because Goof Troop is the shit
old manatee
Banned

I was obsessed with Mendel Palace when I was a kid, and I was surprised to find out a few years ago that it was Pokemon developer Game Freak's first game.
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(10-14-2017, 02:14 PM)

The only Fromsoft sequel GAF deserves
GeekyDad
(10-14-2017, 02:15 PM)

Is VERY good! Easily one of my favorite DS RPGs. They just did such a great job all around of making the DB universe fun for me.

Also...

Gal-gun by Inti Creates. (MMZ(X) games, Azure Striker Gunvolt). Not that there's anything wrong that...
kulapik
(10-14-2017, 02:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Thelonelykoopa

Developed by Game Freak the developers of Main Stream Pokemon Games for Xbox 1,Playstation 4 and PC but not the WiiU .

And because the Wii U logo apparently didn't fit on the poster they made
TsunamiOfSwagger
(10-14-2017, 02:19 PM)

Is it The Dark Souls of platforming?
--R
Banned
(10-14-2017, 02:20 PM)