• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 50th birthday to Yoko Shimomura - What are your favorite tracks/works from her?

Eolz

A-230032-1483989552-9319.jpeg.jpg

Her discogs icon, she's also pretty active on twitter

Just noticed that through OCRemix's tweet about it, and that's a pretty big milestone for such a legendary composer.

Some highlights from her long career:
- Street Fighter 2
- Front Mission
- Super Mario RPG
- Parasite Eve 1 and The Third Birthday
- the Kingdom Hearts series
- the Mario & Luigi series
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Radiant Historia
- Final Fantasy XV
..and even more

XrwC34T.jpg

Here's a cool interview from Redbull, one with RPGsite, and one with Square-Enix's blog.

She went from classic to classic! Any specific tracks that you'll always keep in your memories (outside of Guile's Theme since it goes with everything)?

edit:
She decided to get an haircut for her birthday
She also posted a blogpost where she will answer some questions

Seik

Banned
I think the Cleigne Battle Theme is some of her finest work.

If something was good in FFXV, it was the music, thanks to her.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The FFXV main theme was the best part of the game.

Fireblend

Banned
The Xenoblade Chronicles OST is my favorite game OST of all time. I can't believe a game dethtroned Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross for me, but it did.

The FFXV OST is also pretty great.

The Superstar Saga one too.

Subaru

I can't even choose just one song, but while I love so many Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG songs, if I had to choose just one it would be Ryu's Theme.

dearly beloved (Kingdom Hearts) is probaly my all time favourite video game soundtrack.

that alone makes her a legend in my eyes

She composed the criminally under-utilised Unfinished Battle in Xenoblade Chronicles did she not? If so then that.

And the Mario & Luigi series has fantastic soundtracks.

Never played Kingdom Hearts or many Final Fantasy games but I'm sure they are good too.

She's very talented.

Trago

My cousin and I would literally go to each world in Kingdom Hearts and just sit there to listen to the music.

Her work left a serious impression on me.

Street Fighter's legacy simply wouldn't be the same without her.

Even to this day, new games in the series still feature remixes of her 26 year old compositions. That's how strong they are.

Justinh

I'm not familiar with her work like... specifically but I imagine whatever my favorite was would most likely come from Street Fighter 2.

Congratulations to her for hitting the big 5-0!

Guile's theme goes with the Happy Birthday song

Top Bottom