• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Jenga
Flört
(03-10-2007, 12:50 AM)
Jenga's Avatar
This game sounds really awesome in concept. This really deserves a full console treatment. I don't think the PSP would be able to execute something like this really well.
rage1973
Member
(03-10-2007, 12:53 AM)

Originally Posted by DjangoReinhardt

China invading the U.S.? Really, David?

I take it the crying in this game was to be from laughter directed at the ridiculous premise.

Yeah the premise of World War 2 never happening and everyone fighting aliens is a more believable premise than this. Also I could not buy this game since my fiancee is Chinese and the premise of killing innocent Chinese-Americans offends me.
Eel O'Brian
Member
(03-10-2007, 12:57 AM)
Sounds subtle!
Jenga
Flört
(03-10-2007, 01:00 AM)
Jenga's Avatar

Originally Posted by rage1973

Yeah the premise of World War 2 never happening and everyone fighting aliens is a more believable premise than this. Also I could not buy this game since my fiancee is Chinese and the premise of killing innocent Chinese-Americans offends me.

Well uh, you had the choice of ignoring those orders completely and going AWOL. I'm pretty certain of you had taken that route it would have you join some sort of rebel group out to protect Chinese-Americans...
Kiriku
SWEDISH PERFECTION
(03-10-2007, 01:53 AM)
Kiriku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

i don't know, i doubt i could feel 'bad' playing a videogame, and the whole point would be lost. What would be sad about your CO telling you to kill innocent families when i've been killing thousands of innocent pedestrians in GTA games for years without thinking twice?

It obviously depends a lot on how you present it. If you set up the game in a certain way, make reactions from other characters a lot more realistic and human, add suitable music, sound effects, convincing voices, terrified faces of the people you are about to kill etc etc it changes the perception of the act of killing a lot. Just like how movies work with camera angles, lighting, dialogues, sound and so on to convey different emotions.
AltogetherAndrews
Member
(03-10-2007, 02:15 AM)
AltogetherAndrews's Avatar
Yeah, the China invading US bit is a good deal too far-fetched. But whatever, I could live with that; at least it's something other than the Clancy micro-warfare crap that we're fed. Hopefully the genre as a whole gets a good kick in the rear end by that other game, because it's damned well overdue. No disrespect towards Insomniac, Bungie and just about every other FPS developer, and there is most certainly a place for purely entertaining dumbshooters, but the industry really needs to start exploring genuinely mature and thought provoking concepts in addition to the ones fueling these blunt and shallow action shooters.
buckfutter
Member
(03-10-2007, 02:46 AM)
buckfutter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kiriku

It obviously depends a lot on how you present it. If you set up the game in a certain way, make reactions from other characters a lot more realistic and human, add suitable music, sound effects, convincing voices, terrified faces of the people you are about to kill etc etc it changes the perception of the act of killing a lot. Just like how movies work with camera angles, lighting, dialogues, sound and so on to convey different emotions.

Precisely. Do people not see the difference in emotional impact between action films with faceless villains incurring a body count in the hundreds, compared to more dramatic works? It's just that we've got too much of one and barely any of the other in our medium.
Dachande
Member
(03-10-2007, 02:53 AM)
Dachande's Avatar

Originally Posted by AltogetherAndrews

No disrespect towards Insomniac, Bungie and just about every other FPS developer, and there is most certainly a place for purely entertaining dumbshooters, but the industry really needs to start exploring genuinely mature and thought provoking concepts in addition to the ones fueling these blunt and shallow action shooters.

So true. There are very, very few game scripts that I would say were genuinely well-written to a very high standard - we tend to accept some like MGS's and Halo's to be really good by typical game standards, but in the big picture, honestly, they're rubbish. A game like this would never work unless the script was absolutely incredible, and they'd need to hire a scriptwriter with the talent to pull it off, along with some outstanding acting talent to go with it.
Draft
(03-10-2007, 02:56 AM)
Draft's Avatar

Originally Posted by AltogetherAndrews

Yeah, the China invading US bit is a good deal too far-fetched. But whatever, I could live with that; at least it's something other than the Clancy micro-warfare crap that we're fed. Hopefully the genre as a whole gets a good kick in the rear end by that other game, because it's damned well overdue. No disrespect towards Insomniac, Bungie and just about every other FPS developer, and there is most certainly a place for purely entertaining dumbshooters, but the industry really needs to start exploring genuinely mature and thought provoking concepts in addition to the ones fueling these blunt and shallow action shooters.

What literary giant of a game are you dancing around so much?
theBishop
Banned
(03-10-2007, 02:57 AM)
theBishop's Avatar

Originally Posted by Draft

What literary giant of a game are you dancing around so much?

I'm thinking Bioshock.
Yoboman
Banned
(03-10-2007, 03:14 AM)
That sounds really interesting. Freedom Fighters with some depth :D

EDIT: And move it to PS3
Last edited by Yoboman; 03-10-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Yoboman
Banned
(03-10-2007, 03:16 AM)

Originally Posted by AltogetherAndrews

Yeah, the China invading US bit is a good deal too far-fetched. But whatever, I could live with that; at least it's something other than the Clancy micro-warfare crap that we're fed. Hopefully the genre as a whole gets a good kick in the rear end by that other game, because it's damned well overdue. No disrespect towards Insomniac, Bungie and just about every other FPS developer, and there is most certainly a place for purely entertaining dumbshooters, but the industry really needs to start exploring genuinely mature and thought provoking concepts in addition to the ones fueling these blunt and shallow action shooters.

I agree. He should do China/Indonesia invading Australia, he can even base it off the novel "Tomorrow When the War Began" :D
Dachande
Member
(03-10-2007, 03:21 AM)
Dachande's Avatar

Originally Posted by theBishop

I'm thinking Bioshock.

It's written by Susan "Gears of War" O'Connor. I do not hold much hope for Bioshock's script.
Dr-L337
Banned
(03-10-2007, 03:27 AM)

Originally Posted by AltogetherAndrews

Yeah, the China invading US bit is a good deal too far-fetched. But whatever, I could live with that; at least it's something other than the Clancy micro-warfare crap that we're fed. Hopefully the genre as a whole gets a good kick in the rear end by that other game, because it's damned well overdue. No disrespect towards Insomniac, Bungie and just about every other FPS developer, and there is most certainly a place for purely entertaining dumbshooters, but the industry really needs to start exploring genuinely mature and thought provoking concepts in addition to the ones fueling these blunt and shallow action shooters.

I'm surprised that out of the thousands of WW2 shooters that have cropped up in recent years, none of them have really tackled the Holocaust. Liberating a concentration camp could be really emotionally powerful.
Yoboman
Banned
(03-10-2007, 03:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Dr-L337

I'm surprised that out of the thousands of WW2 shooters that have cropped up in recent years, none of them have really tackled the Holocaust. Liberating a concentration camp could be really emotionally powerful.

Up until now we haven't exactly had the technology to drive that IMO. If they do it now, and do it right that could be really powerful. But on PS2 for instance, they just couldn't have visually represented characters who've been through such hardship
blindrocket
Member
(03-10-2007, 03:40 AM)
blindrocket's Avatar
Man, sounds awesome. Jaffe, kudos for even trying.
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(03-10-2007, 04:18 AM)
Ninja Scooter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kiriku

It obviously depends a lot on how you present it. If you set up the game in a certain way, make reactions from other characters a lot more realistic and human, add suitable music, sound effects, convincing voices, terrified faces of the people you are about to kill etc etc it changes the perception of the act of killing a lot. Just like how movies work with camera angles, lighting, dialogues, sound and so on to convey different emotions.


then it could come across as too scripted, in which case why not just make a movie?
Kiriku
SWEDISH PERFECTION
(03-10-2007, 04:22 AM)
Kiriku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dachande

It's written by Susan "Gears of War" O'Connor. I do not hold much hope for Bioshock's script.

Maybe, maybe not. But with Gears of War she was probably being very much constricted by what the developers wanted it to be (ie kick-ass action flick), which not neccessarily coincides with her potential talents as a script writer. I'll give her a chance at least. :P



Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

then it could come across as too scripted, in which case why not just make a movie?

Sure it could come across as too scripted, but doesn't have to. That's one of the challenges when making games of that kind.
Last edited by Kiriku; 03-10-2007 at 04:29 AM.
DeadTrees
Member
(03-10-2007, 05:52 AM)
DeadTrees's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr-L337

I'm surprised that out of the thousands of WW2 shooters that have cropped up in recent years, none of them have really tackled the Holocaust.

I'm pretty sure we just hit triple digits on the unintentional comedy scale. Just to be sure, let's play some Mad Libs!

I'm surprised that out of the dozens of Full House episodes that have cropped up in recent years, none of them have really tackled pedophilia.

I'm surprised that out of the dozens of Grand Theft Auto games that have cropped up in recent years, none of them have really tackled the outsourcing of American labor.

I'm surprised that out of the dozens of Elvis movies that have cropped up in recent years, none of them have really tackled leprosy.

seattle6418
Member
(03-10-2007, 08:26 PM)
seattle6418's Avatar
why are people even thinking that the idea is outrageous?

why canīt one country invade another in a videogame?

right, that alone is one of the reasons why the game got canned. sony wonīt publish this because of the fan reaction. politicaly speaking, we can have venezuela being a vilain in mercenaries, mexican cities treated like crap just like GRAW2, but god forbid, donīt touch america!

maybe thatīs how david tought. doing something different for a change. what if america had their problems? he wanted to deal with emotions, maybe be a michael moore of videogames. it still doesnīt work in this industry.

thereīs a lot of people into those farfetched fiction stories, like a halo, star wars or gears of war. you can create some absurd worlds in those cases, but with jaffeīs game he was dealing with patriotism.

i really doubt sony would publish something like that. not because you kill innocent people, but because of the plot, having USA being attacked and all that.

just like rumble, they canīt really tell the truth, but this game was canned, not just discontinued. itīs a shame tough, sounded different, original for a change. we are still a long way from having indepent companies with balls and bucks to release a game like this one...
PleoMax
Banned
(03-10-2007, 08:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Draft

What literary giant of a game are you dancing around so much?

Haze...lol i know.


lol

Yes i'm serious thats what he is talking about, no i'm not shitting you.

yah lol
boutrosinit
Street Fighter IV World Champion
(03-10-2007, 08:46 PM)
boutrosinit's Avatar
Jaffe: We as fans of your game output DEMAND you get this damn thing on PS3 or... somewhere.

DEMAND.

DE- MAND!
Draft
(03-10-2007, 08:52 PM)
Draft's Avatar

Originally Posted by seattle6418

why are people even thinking that the idea is outrageous?

why canīt one country invade another in a videogame?

right, that alone is one of the reasons why the game got canned. sony wonīt publish this because of the fan reaction. politicaly speaking, we can have venezuela being a vilain in mercenaries, mexican cities treated like crap just like GRAW2, but god forbid, donīt touch america!

maybe thatīs how david tought. doing something different for a change. what if america had their problems? he wanted to deal with emotions, maybe be a michael moore of videogames. it still doesnīt work in this industry.

thereīs a lot of people into those farfetched fiction stories, like a halo, star wars or gears of war. you can create some absurd worlds in those cases, but with jaffeīs game he was dealing with patriotism.

i really doubt sony would publish something like that. not because you kill innocent people, but because of the plot, having USA being attacked and all that.

just like rumble, they canīt really tell the truth, but this game was canned, not just discontinued. itīs a shame tough, sounded different, original for a change. we are still a long way from having indepent companies with balls and bucks to release a game like this one...

? Plenty of games have the US being attacked. By aliens, monsters, demons, communists, hippies, you name it, it's probably destroyed America at one point in a video game.
MickeyKnox
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:04 PM)
MickeyKnox's Avatar

Originally Posted by seattle6418

why are people even thinking that the idea is outrageous?

why canīt one country invade another in a videogame?

right, that alone is one of the reasons why the game got canned. sony wonīt publish this because of the fan reaction. politicaly speaking, we can have venezuela being a vilain in mercenaries, mexican cities treated like crap just like GRAW2, but god forbid, donīt touch america!

maybe thatīs how david tought. doing something different for a change. what if america had their problems? he wanted to deal with emotions, maybe be a michael moore of videogames. it still doesnīt work in this industry.

thereīs a lot of people into those farfetched fiction stories, like a halo, star wars or gears of war. you can create some absurd worlds in those cases, but with jaffeīs game he was dealing with patriotism.

i really doubt sony would publish something like that. not because you kill innocent people, but because of the plot, having USA being attacked and all that.

just like rumble, they canīt really tell the truth, but this game was canned, not just discontinued. itīs a shame tough, sounded different, original for a change. we are still a long way from having indepent companies with balls and bucks to release a game like this one...

I thought Sony would make the game but Jaffe wasn't seeing enough compensation at the end of the cycle to go through with it.

Also, no ****ing way in hell would this work on PSP.
davidjaffe
The Fucking MAN.
(03-10-2007, 09:11 PM)
davidjaffe's Avatar
FYI- Sony didn't can the game. Scott and I did as we felt we could not do it justice with the oh so tiny team we had (as so many of them were getting put onto WarHawk in order to get that game done). The people we worked with were/are amazing talents, but there we just no enough of them :) As Warhawk was/is top priority as it ships first, it made sense to put Heartland on the shelf till we had the resources to do it right.

That lead to us doing a small game (Calling All Cars!) which then led to me realizing that small stuff is what I want to do for now.

Hope that helps :)

As for China invading, it's not THAT far fetched because:

a- it was set sometime in the future...not sci fi at all and things LOOKED just like 2007. But the date itself is never revealed so it could be 10 years down the road.
b- 10 years down the road makes some sense if China becomes the next superpower (which it kind of already is and many predict it will even surpass America in many areas...which it kind of already is).
c- If American keeps sending out troops all over the world in an effort to expand our empire/get more resources, who is left protecting us at home? This was just one of the many pointers to the Iraq war we were hoping to deal with: the fact that Bush and his boyz seem to be more interested in Iraq than really protecting us. It's a liberal view to be sure and I'm not here to start a debate. Just explaining the logic for chosing the China invades America scenario.

David
Imperial Hot
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:11 PM)
Imperial Hot's Avatar
This could of been freaking amazing! I really wish that David got around to making it, but I understand why he didn't.

Family first.



It still sucks that we won't get to play it.:D
Tieno
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:14 PM)
Tieno's Avatar

Originally Posted by davidjaffe

FYI- Sony didn't can the game. Scott and I did as we felt we could not do it justice with the oh so tiny team we had (as so many of them were getting put onto WarHawk in order to get that game done). The people we worked with were/are amazing talents, but there we just no enough of them :) As Warhawk was/is top priority as it ships first, it made sense to put Heartland on the shelf till we had the resources to do it right.

That lead to us doing a small game (Calling All Cars!) which then led to me realizing that small stuff is what I want to do for now.

Hope that helps :)

As for China invading, it's not THAT far fetched because:

a- it was set sometime in the future...not sci fi at all and things LOOKED just like 2007. But the date itself is never revealed so it could be 10 years down the road.
b- 10 years down the road makes some sense if China becomes the next superpower (which it kind of already is and many predict it will even surpass America in many areas...which it kind of already is).
c- If American keeps sending out troops all over the world in an effort to expand our empire/get more resources, who is left protecting us at home? This was just one of the many pointers to the Iraq war we were hoping to deal with: the fact that Bush and his boyz seem to be more interested in Iraq than really protecting us. It's a liberal view to be sure and I'm not here to start a debate. Just explaining the logic for chosing the China invades America scenario.

David

But when tackling such a difficult issue why even constrain yourself even more by making it a psp game?
J-Rzez
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:18 PM)
J-Rzez's Avatar

Originally Posted by davidjaffe

stuff

Definetly sounds like a neat concept, wish it could've came to... Maybe it could be done on the PS3 down the road instead...

It's cool that you want to do some small games... could one of them please be a twisted metal? :)

and... since you speak about Warhawk, you must know when we'll be able to DL it, spill it! Now! (pretty-please?)
MickeyKnox
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:22 PM)
MickeyKnox's Avatar

Originally Posted by davidjaffe

FYI- Sony didn't can the game. Scott and I did as we felt we could not do it justice with the oh so tiny team we had (as so many of them were getting put onto WarHawk in order to get that game done). The people we worked with were/are amazing talents, but there we just no enough of them :) As Warhawk was/is top priority as it ships first, it made sense to put Heartland on the shelf till we had the resources to do it right.

That lead to us doing a small game (Calling All Cars!) which then led to me realizing that small stuff is what I want to do for now.

Hope that helps :)

As for China invading, it's not THAT far fetched because:

a- it was set sometime in the future...not sci fi at all and things LOOKED just like 2007. But the date itself is never revealed so it could be 10 years down the road.
b- 10 years down the road makes some sense if China becomes the next superpower (which it kind of already is and many predict it will even surpass America in many areas...which it kind of already is).
c- If American keeps sending out troops all over the world in an effort to expand our empire/get more resources, who is left protecting us at home? This was just one of the many pointers to the Iraq war we were hoping to deal with: the fact that Bush and his boyz seem to be more interested in Iraq than really protecting us. It's a liberal view to be sure and I'm not here to start a debate. Just explaining the logic for chosing the China invades America scenario.

David

It sounds pretty great and I hope that the game gets made "someday" hopefully as a console game not handheld.
eXistor
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:26 PM)
eXistor's Avatar
Glad it got cancelled. Jaffe seemed to miss the point on that game (no offence). It's a good enough concept, but on PSP it doesn't stand a chance. Also I think he's in over his head with the concept anyway. Videogames shouldn't be made with for an emotional reason anyway. Now I'm not saying it can't work (actually I did before I edited it), but I can't see it happening as it was..then again, it isn't happening.
GitarooMan
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:31 PM)
GitarooMan's Avatar
I don't know why everyone is so conviced the game couldn't have been done well on PSP with the right team, no reason a story-driven FPS couldn't be great on the system. Whether you'd want to invest that kind of money in a PSP game is another story, but you can definitely have a story-driven immersive experience on PSP.
MickeyKnox
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:34 PM)
MickeyKnox's Avatar

Originally Posted by eXistor

Glad it got cancelled. Jaffe seemed to miss the point on that game. It's a good enough concept, but on PSP it doesn't stand a chance. Also I think he's in over his head with the concept anyway. Videogames shouldn't be made with for an emotional reason anyway. It had disaster written all over it.

Although I agree wih you on the PSP not being the platfrom to do something like with, you are completely off base with your last statement.
I really like the idea behind this game and if done properly could go a long way towards the continued evolution of storytelling in this medium. I wish it could be made but if so then it needs to be a serious budget console game.
And I'm not saying this as part of the Jaffe love group here on Gaf.
MickeyKnox
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:39 PM)
MickeyKnox's Avatar

Originally Posted by GitarooMan

I don't know why everyone is so conviced the game couldn't have been done well on PSP with the right team, no reason a story-driven FPS couldn't be great on the system. Whether you'd want to invest that kind of money in a PSP game is another story, but you can definitely have a story-driven immersive experience on PSP.

The reason i'm against it is because something like this is very high concept and in order to hit the right emotional buttons all the characters should be very detailed and be able to deliver a wide range of facial expressions.
I love my psp, but this project is very grand in nature and should be a console game in order to live up to it's concept.
AltogetherAndrews
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:43 PM)
AltogetherAndrews's Avatar

Originally Posted by davidjaffe

As for China invading, it's not THAT far fetched because:

a- it was set sometime in the future...not sci fi at all and things LOOKED just like 2007. But the date itself is never revealed so it could be 10 years down the road.
b- 10 years down the road makes some sense if China becomes the next superpower (which it kind of already is and many predict it will even surpass America in many areas...which it kind of already is).
c- If American keeps sending out troops all over the world in an effort to expand our empire/get more resources, who is left protecting us at home? This was just one of the many pointers to the Iraq war we were hoping to deal with: the fact that Bush and his boyz seem to be more interested in Iraq than really protecting us. It's a liberal view to be sure and I'm not here to start a debate. Just explaining the logic for chosing the China invades America scenario.

David

The China idea is as far fetched as the idea of any individual nation invading the US. The landmass is simply too great, and there's far too much coastland. I understand the reasoning of the US defense being thinned out due to military export (not to mention the aspect of more and more typically military tasks being outsourced to commercial entities, which that other game deals with), but I do not think an invasion of the US is physically plausible.

I do applaud your intentions though, this type of stuff is sorely needed. Shame it didn't work out.

Originally Posted by PleoMax

Haze...lol i know.


lol

Yes i'm serious thats what he is talking about, no i'm not shitting you.

yah lol

Yeah, that'd be the one. Not sure why that'd be so LOLOLOLyahLOL though.
Last edited by AltogetherAndrews; 03-10-2007 at 09:47 PM.
jaundicejuice
Member
(03-10-2007, 09:53 PM)
jaundicejuice's Avatar
That sounds like an absolutely awesome concept for a console game, but too crazy ambitious game to do on a handheld. Calling All Cars sort of makes it an even more odd juxtaposition.

CAC seems like it would be the perfect game for a handheld, but it's on a console (albeit as a downloadable arcade game), and Project Heartland sounds like it would've made for an awesome experience on the PS3.
bluemax
Banned
(03-10-2007, 10:15 PM)
It's an interesting idea but I don't know how many people really would've stopped to consider the gravity of their choices. Sure a lot of us here on GAF would've but I still don't think the average consumer would have.

I would've had a hard time with it as a FPS on PSP. Third person like MGS might've worked a little better in terms of controls. I can see why you'd go first person for the immersion factor, I just feel the PSP is ill suited for such gameplay mechanics.
DyTonic
Member
(03-10-2007, 10:35 PM)
DyTonic's Avatar

Originally Posted by xaosslug

*tear drops*

fixed
frAntic_Frog
Member
(03-10-2007, 10:45 PM)
lol we traded HL for Calling all Cars??? lol definitely worth it lol

sarcasm
Musashi Wins!
FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
(03-10-2007, 11:01 PM)
I like the concept, but I don't see it as feasible on the PSP. I guess that was part of the whole point of the project, but I've played Medal of Honor, Socom, etc. on the PSP and battling the limitations of the system for that type of game would have gotten in the way of the narrative ideas that come to mind. Though I'm sure there are many that don't come to my mind that they had in store.

Would still love to see the concept fleshed out on PS3.
KyanMehwulfe
Member
(03-10-2007, 11:04 PM)
KyanMehwulfe's Avatar

Originally Posted by davidjaffe

FYI- Sony didn't can the game. Scott and I did as we felt we could not do it justice with the oh so tiny team we had (as so many of them were getting put onto WarHawk in order to get that game done). The people we worked with were/are amazing talents, but there we just no enough of them :) As Warhawk was/is top priority as it ships first, it made sense to put Heartland on the shelf till we had the resources to do it right.

That lead to us doing a small game (Calling All Cars!) which then led to me realizing that small stuff is what I want to do for now.

Hope that helps :)David

Hopefully you can return to the project one day on the PS3. We need more games that really push the envelope, whether it's simply "what's a game" or more seriously "how real/emotional should/can a 'game' get?".
Zenith
Banned
(03-10-2007, 11:06 PM)
Zenith's Avatar
There was no way this idea could even come close to being realised on the PSP. or any handheld for that matter.

The China idea is as far fetched as the idea of any individual nation invading the US. The landmass is simply too great, and there's far too much coastland. I understand the reasoning of the US defense being thinned out due to military export (not to mention the aspect of more and more typically military tasks being outsourced to commercial entities, which that other game deals with), but I do not think an invasion of the US is physically plausible.

the landmass problem works both ways. Katrina exposed the fallability of US military infrastructure. it would take days for a large enough force to regroup in order to launch any kind of effective counterattack. and if the Chinese dug in in population centres there would be an initial hesitation of using heavy artillery+air support. the most difficult aspect to explain would be how China loaded a large enough army onto a fleet and got it to the US without being noticed. plus what's to stop the US from eliminating logistics support from China by dropping a few nukes on it. at the very least they'd use tactical nukes in long-range airstrikes.
Acosta
Member
(03-10-2007, 11:11 PM)
Acosta's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tieno

But when tackling such a difficult issue why even constrain yourself even more by making it a psp game?

Probably because they are not a big team.

The concept sounds great, the type of thing we need now. I believe for what he has written in the past that David undestands that we need this type of work to shake the industry (in PSP or in Commodore 64). I hope that when Warhawk gets finished they have a chance to try this (really, GoW III will be great and all but I am sure we can wait a bit more).
Jax
Banned
(03-10-2007, 11:29 PM)
Jax's Avatar
When I heard this on the one up show:

I thought, the plot was pretty racist because if its a FPS, like any vietcong type FPS, the enemies are immediately demonised. Plus expecting the FPS crowd to empathise with the killing chinese americans on a PSP of all things = laughable. I don't know, glad this didn't get made.

When it vs aliens or something historical, it at least makes sense - ala COD/Resistance. To make a fantasy type game and demonise a culture, I don't agree with
frAntic_Frog
Member
(03-10-2007, 11:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Jax

When I heard this on the one up show:

I thought, the plot was pretty racist because if its a FPS, like any vietcong type FPS, the enemies are immediately demonised. Plus expecting the FPS crowd to empathise with the killing chinese americans on a PSP of all things = laughable. I don't know, glad this didn't get made.

When it vs aliens or something historical, it at least makes sense - ala COD/Resistance. To make a fantasy type game and demonise a culture, I don't agree with

i disagree....i would hope for devs to push more fps that examine cultural/political differences and why so-called "enemies" that we shoot in every WW2 (i.e. Germans/Japanese) became the way they were......can you imagine a WW2 FPS from the Japanese/German point of view? it would explain why they joined the war, what pushed them to do what they did, etc...would make for an awesome narrative (like Letters of Iwo Jima movie) and would be different from all the cookie-cutter WW2 shooters we have today
Polari
(03-10-2007, 11:49 PM)
Polari's Avatar
Bad concept.
buckfutter
Member
(03-11-2007, 12:30 AM)
buckfutter's Avatar
If you crafted the art design, writing, music and structure just perfectly, this sort of game is possible on a SNES. You just have to target towards the platform's strengths and style. Of course, this idea specifically would likely require a realistic visual style for it to work, which would be hell to pull off expertly on the PSP.
Dachande
Member
(03-11-2007, 12:33 AM)
Dachande's Avatar

Originally Posted by eXistor

Also I think he's in over his head with the concept anyway. Videogames shouldn't be made with for an emotional reason anyway.

Are you saying games shouldn't have emotional content? Because, if so, bullshit. Games absolutely should involve emotional content where appropriate to the game. They're in a unique, amazing position to directly engage their audience with the story, which opens up the possibilities of engaging experiences no other entertainment medium could ever hope to replicate. I don't think many games have done that well, but something like this definitely could and certainly ought to.

I don't reckon Jaffe is over his head with the concept (other than wanting to release it on the PSP) - he and a team of people could well make something like this a reality. But it's something that would take time, effort, and a hell of a lot of experimentation. It could be wonderful though. It's the sort of game I would kill to work on.

Please don't kill the idea off, Jaffe! No one blames you for not wanting to spend 4+ years of your life living in the studio for this - but consider giving it a chance to develop under someone else's direction sometime in the future; possibly under your supervision.

(But make it on PS3 plz)
seattle6418
Member
(03-11-2007, 01:25 AM)
seattle6418's Avatar

Originally Posted by davidjaffe

FYI- Sony didn't can the game. Scott and I did as we felt we could not do it justice with the oh so tiny team we had (as so many of them were getting put onto WarHawk in order to get that game done). The people we worked with were/are amazing talents, but there we just no enough of them :) As Warhawk was/is top priority as it ships first, it made sense to put Heartland on the shelf till we had the resources to do it right.

That lead to us doing a small game (Calling All Cars!) which then led to me realizing that small stuff is what I want to do for now.

Hope that helps :)

As for China invading, it's not THAT far fetched because:

a- it was set sometime in the future...not sci fi at all and things LOOKED just like 2007. But the date itself is never revealed so it could be 10 years down the road.
b- 10 years down the road makes some sense if China becomes the next superpower (which it kind of already is and many predict it will even surpass America in many areas...which it kind of already is).
c- If American keeps sending out troops all over the world in an effort to expand our empire/get more resources, who is left protecting us at home? This was just one of the many pointers to the Iraq war we were hoping to deal with: the fact that Bush and his boyz seem to be more interested in Iraq than really protecting us. It's a liberal view to be sure and I'm not here to start a debate. Just explaining the logic for chosing the China invades America scenario.

David


ok, if sony really gives a green light to this, then do it when you have the time, or at least supervise... we canīt wait:D

you know with a plot like that you would mess with a lot of people... and also have a game loved by many and hated by many...

itīs a refreshing idea, itīs not just another WWII shooter...

i know US has being invaded by aliens and stuff in lots of games, but i think david understood when i said - if the plot was strong, and things were beliaveble - then it would have an impact on people...

cīmon david, now you have to tell us how was the reaction (by sony, by other staff members...) when the idea was being shown...
DjangoReinhardt
Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
(03-11-2007, 01:38 AM)
DjangoReinhardt's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zenith

the landmass problem works both ways. Katrina exposed the fallability of US military infrastructure. it would take days for a large enough force to regroup in order to launch any kind of effective counterattack. and if the Chinese dug in in population centres there would be an initial hesitation of using heavy artillery+air support. the most difficult aspect to explain would be how China loaded a large enough army onto a fleet and got it to the US without being noticed. plus what's to stop the US from eliminating logistics support from China by dropping a few nukes on it. at the very least they'd use tactical nukes in long-range airstrikes.

The reason it's difficult is because it's not possible.
seattle6418
Member
(03-11-2007, 01:43 AM)
seattle6418's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zenith

the landmass problem works both ways. Katrina exposed the fallability of US military infrastructure. it would take days for a large enough force to regroup in order to launch any kind of effective counterattack. and if the Chinese dug in in population centres there would be an initial hesitation of using heavy artillery+air support. the most difficult aspect to explain would be how China loaded a large enough army onto a fleet and got it to the US without being noticed. plus what's to stop the US from eliminating logistics support from China by dropping a few nukes on it. at the very least they'd use tactical nukes in long-range airstrikes.


yes, but its a videogame! why do we believe in fictions like metal gears, haloīs universe, but canīt believe in a war? of corse thereīs a lot of questionmarks, but itīs a game...

Thread Tools