• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
shpankey said:
i've never met one single gamer who refused to buy a game due to having to switch a disk mid-game.

nobody gives a shit.

It's actually considered a good thing by casual gamers.
More discs= more game to them.

besada

Banned
Wow. That entire rant could have been taken from the ps3fourms.com forums. Word for ****ing word. I have literally read every single point he made coming out of the mouth of raving fanboys.

But what do you expect from someone who thought the next new thing was a WWII shooter.

Emowii

Banned
When people say that "this bluray movie thing means nothing to me", I can't help but want to ask them "Are you saying you never watch/rent/buy movies?".

If you ever plan on owning an HDTV, and you enjoy buying/renting movies, I would think having a bluray DVD player included in your game system purchase would be a pretty cool extra feature.

I know for me it certainly played a part in my purchase of a PS3. I would not own one right now if it weren't for the fact that it could play high def movies right now. I no longer have to even think about going out and buying a high def movie player, I just got one included when I bought my PS3. Thats is pretty cool IMO.

Insomniac is a great developer, but really, the guy didn't have much new to say. Does name recognition really elevate the status of his opinion? These are pretty much all the standard talking points.

Haunted

beermonkey@tehbias said:
You mispelled Jaffe. :lol
:lol post of the thread.

It's a free country, and everyone is allowed to speak their mind publicly. Having said that, I disagree on most points with the guy and it's pretty clear that while he stresses Insomniac's 100% 'independent', they won't stop making Sony exclusives, regardless how the market will look like in the future. (Sony's marketshare dropping from over 70% to ... a number significantly below that. :p )

Aristotlekh said:
Insomniac is a great developer, but really, the guy didn't have much new to say. Does name recognition really elevate the status of his opinion? These are pretty much all the standard talking points.
Exactly my thoughts.

Smokey

seattle6418 said:
that was a good read. i agree with almost everything he said.

it´s fun to see "some" (not every member) internet nerds showing that they know more about the industry than a guy that is a big time player in the real industry. Internet forums are a reasonable new thing if we lookt at videogames industry. i wonder how much effect those forum experts have on people´s minds. i wish i could study, but it does play a big role in the mindshare battle - which sony is losing by a good margin.

That's like saying President Bush is always right because he runs the United States of America and nobody should question him because he is at the top of the totem pole in politics.

Yeahh sure.

EDIT: About movies it gets annoying when videogame developers are bringing this up when it has ZERO to do with their industry.

shpankey said:
i've never met one single gamer who refused to buy a game due to having to switch a disk mid-game.

nobody gives a shit.
me either. but certain games can't be set up that way. anything open ended. anything like a racing game or an online game with levels/tracks that aren't played in any sort of order.

2Qr.

First of all, let me make it clear that Insomniac is a 100% independent development studio. Sony has neither endorsed nor authorized what I’m writing here.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Tieno

Smokey Bones said:
That's like saying President Bush is always right because he runs the United States of America and nobody should question him because he is at the top of the totem pole in politics.

Yeahh sure.
I see you hate freedom too.

*puts Smokey Bones on the "freedom list"*

Ranger X said:
The DS was marketed with the touch screen and it was all the buzz. Today nobody gives a stinking shit about the touchscreen anymore and the DS still sell more than the PSP. Why? price.
The price situation between DS and PSP hasn't changed much in 2+ years, and touch-screen heavy games like Brain Age and Nintendogs are still huge.

A very nice read.

I have to agree with him on most of his points. The 50 x 5 bit is a little sensationalized as there are ways to get 12 month cards for 30-35, but I agree that paying for online gameplay now is crap. I play in the GAF sports leagues frequently on the 360, and it sucks that I have lag when I have an above average broadband cable connection. After playing Resistance, Fight Night, and Calling All Cars(focus tested) online so smoothly I refuse to pay for another Live subscription that doesnt have dedicated servers or something extra that would justify the costs.

I somewhat agree on the Wii fad. My parents played Wii when they visited me, and they loved it!! They went and bought one for themselves, and they are already asking what game should they get next that is as easy as Wii Sports. The closest thing to it is Wii Play or Wario Ware and both are halfhearted reccomendations at best for my 56 year old parents. Bottom line is that if Nintendo is going to market this thing to older folks, they better have a whole slew of easy to play and pick up pieces of software to justify the cost of entry for the Wii.

As a Wii owner, I have not loaded up the thing in weeks. After I beat Zelda and played the Wii Sports ad nasuem, there is no reason to load it up right now. I can play old roms on my PC if I felt inclined, so I am not supporting a rom dumping operation. Call me a graphic whore if you want, but the graphics leave much to be desired after playing things like VF5 and Gears of War. Add in the lack of online gameplay(which is what I play almost exclusively) I'm seriously considering selling the system or giving it to my grilfriend because a the lack of compelling software. New exciting non-gimmicky ways of playing games would nullify the reality of last gen graphics and little media function capability, but so far it's been a dissapointment. I sold my DS once though, and I really regret it as things like EBA and Hotel Dusk came around.

We'll see though as what is currently happening in the market is something nobody could have reasonably projected.

Joe211

Eteric Rice said:
Why do you sound like you just walked out of an expisode of the X-Files?

smoked.gif

I don't know

Eteric Rice

Haunted_One said:
:lol post of the thread.

It's a free country, and everyone is allowed to speak their mind publicly. Having said that, I disagree on most points with the guy and it's pretty clear that while he stresses Insomniac's 100% 'independent', they won't stop making Sony exclusives, regardless how the market will look like in the future. (Sony's marketshare dropping from over 70% to ... a number significantly below that. :p )

Exactly my thoughts.

It's like asking Retro Studios what they think of the Wii.

Smokey Bones said:

Yeahh sure.

EDIT: About movies it gets annoying when videogame developers are bringing this up when it has ZERO to do with their industry.

maybe, but not what i meant. we do know that a lot of internet wizards are just full of s*** and trying to defend their beloved company. i was refering to them.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
Granted, some really great Xbox 360 games have squeezed onto a DVD9. Gears of War is a beautiful game and shows off the highest resolution textures of anything yet released, partly because of the Unreal Engine’s ability to stream textures. This means that you can have much higher resolution textures than you could normally fit in your 512 MB of RAM. It also means that you’re going to chew up more disc space for each level. With streamed textures, streamed geometry and streamed audio, even with compression, you can quickly approach 1 GB of data per level. That inherently limits you to a maximum of about 7 levels, and that’s without multiplayer levels or mpeg cutscenes.

Only problem is Gears is the perfect example of a game that could easily be spread out over multiple discs.

Ragnarok10

Eteric Rice said:
Here's some truth.

If you don't get momentum early on, third parties will move on and forget you. It happened to the Gamecube, and it could happen to the PS3.

I don't care about Blu-Ray, HDDs, or STDs, if you don't get the momentum, you don't get the games. They can still turn this around, but it seems unlikely.

Might be a problem if you didn't have the strongest 1st party development infrastructure ever assembled. Not to mention maintaining the most elite 3rd party software (MGS, FF).

Zynx

Man, being on a forum like this one, every point has been made over and over again already. All I can say is 5 years isn't too long of a time to watch...then we'll see who'll be eating their words.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Smokey Bones said:
1.) LBP will be awesome but I don't see it reaching the amount of mass appeal that everybody believes
2.) Free online? Ok yeah it's free and I'll give him the no lag argument(I love playing Resistance and Motorstorm with no lag), but the fact remains there is A LOT more stuffon XBL then PSN
4.) Ok I DO NOT CARE ABOUT MOVIES. Seriously. This has no impact on gaming whatsoever.
7.) See Nintendo DS vs PSP. Uh huh. Nothing even needs to be said here.
9.) It is $129.99 good GOD. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out WHY it is outselling the 360.
10.) $599.99 is not for everyone.

I can't believe I just did all of that.
I can.

Ranger X

JoshuaJSlone said:
The price situation between DS and PSP hasn't changed much in 2+ years, and touch-screen heavy games like Brain Age and Nintendogs are still huge.

What are you getting at? Seriously i don't get ya.
Even if the touchscreen is now banalised games that use it will continue to sell. Those games are selling because there's alot of people with DSs and the game is good. Same logic will probably apply with the Wii.
The prices situation between PSP/DS didn't change much just like the price situation with Wii / 360 / PS3 won't change much. And when it will change, the Wii can drop and keep its price advantage.

Eteric Rice

Ragnarok10 said:
Might be a problem if you didn't have the strongest 1st party development infrastructure ever assembled. Not to mention maintaining the most elite 3rd party software (MGS, FF).

And Nintendo has some of the best selling first party franchises ever. Your point?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't honestly care what he thinks, even if I agree with a lot of his points. Then again, I'm a guy with a HDTV, and I want games to look ****awesome and play better than they look. So, obviously my opinions sway over to the PS360 side of things.

As long as Insomniac continues to put out quality games like Resistance and Ratchet and Clank, he can say w/e the **** he wants and I'll nod and smile while I play the game.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Ranger X said:
I share this opinion. That's exactly what i was saying in some other thread before and i've been seriously flammed for it.

I think the guy is wrong about the Wii though.
The DS was marketed with the touch screen and it was all the buzz. Today nobody gives a stinking shit about the touchscreen anymore and the DS still sell more than the PSP. Why? price.
Same logic with the Wii. The Wii Remote will lose it's novelty and the Wii will still sell crazy because it's sold cheap.

You share the "to the developer, an optional HDD is the same as no HDD." because you are clueless and some people SPIN. That's complete and utter boosheet. ALL games can take advantage of the presence of the HDD in the 360. It takes a SIMPLE effort of an *IF, THEN* coding. Games are being developed WITH the HDD being used, and adjusted to function WITHOUT it. If you don't understand that, don't bother to even post.

AZ Greg

I wonder if this guy made a "X Reasons Why Xbox Will Win This Console Generation" around the launch of the PS2 and Xbox. I mean he could have listed the standard HDD, XBL, hardware advantage, built-in ethernet port, don't have to pay X$ for memory cards, etc.

squatingyeti said:
You share the "to the developer, an optional HDD is the same as no HDD." because you are clueless and some people SPIN. That's complete and utter boosheet. ALL games can take advantage of the presence of the HDD in the 360. It takes a SIMPLE effort of an *IF, THEN* coding. Games are being developed WITH the HDD being used, and adjusted to function WITHOUT it. If you don't understand that, don't bother to even post.
if something is standard, a developer is much more likely to support it. end of story.

antiloop

MonkeyLicker said:
Only problem is Gears is the perfect example of a game that could easily be spread out over multiple discs.

Really?! FFXII could have been on 10+ CDs also but that's no reason to leave out the DVD-player in PS2. :p

But if we are talking about the speed of the drive... they should have delayed PS3 once again to implement a 4x drive.

Swan Song

I own every system and I completely agree with the idea that the rabid interest in the Wii will fade and fairly quickly.

I stood in the pre-sale line to get my Wii at TRS and then stood in line again at Walmart the Saturday night before launch because I couldn't wait the extra 12 hours to get my guaranteed pre-order (Walmart sold out before I got one...) My point is that I was pretty crazy for it. I bought extra controllers so I could play four-player. I played the hell out of Wii Sports, Zelda and Elebits through December. Bought a couple VC games. Picked up Trauma Center and Wario Ware, which got less play in January. Now the system just sits there collecting dust, less than 6 months after purchase, waiting for the next 1st party title to come along. 3rd party games, unless they are specifically made for the Wii like Elebits or Trauma Center, are just much better on the other systems.

I don't regret the purchase at all and like I said, I'm very excited about the 1st party stuff coming for it. But I wonder how many of you saying the interest won't go away are just trying to defend it rather than being completely honest with yourself and everyone else. Seriously, what harm is there in saying, "Yeah I dig it but it is kind of a fad."

And I personally don't believe you can compare it to the DS because I believe people expect a completely different experience from a handheld than they do from a console and the DS offers that. Quick pick-up-and-play gameplay for car rides, hotel stays, lying in bed before going to sleep and trips to the john (admit it, you take it with you to the toilet.)

F#A#Oo

Banned
You can smell the Wii fear!:lol

Not aimed at you Swan Song btw...:D

But with regard to what you've said...if you expected the Wii to keep you entertained for more then 6 months with launch/launch window software then your utterly silly...when all console's struggle during this period because of lack of good software releases. Your very naive. As you said you owned all the console but yet you haven't realized that the initial software is always most of the time just filler...for the good stuff to come.

Ranger X

squatingyeti said:

You don't even get why i say such things and that the Insomniac guy is also saying such thing. Re-read plagiarise post if by now you still don't get it. If you don't understand, don't bother to even post.

Eteric Rice

It amazes me that the Wii has only been out for like four months, yet they expect a library like the 360's out of it.

What the hell, people?

Swan Song said:
I own every system and I completely agree with the idea that the rabid interest in the Wii will fade and fairly quickly.

I stood in the pre-sale line to get my Wii at TRS and then stood in line again at Walmart the Saturday night before launch because I couldn't wait the extra 12 hours to get my guaranteed pre-order (Walmart sold out before I got one...) My point is that I was pretty crazy for it. I bought extra controllers so I could play four-player. I played the hell out of Wii Sports, Zelda and Elebits through December. Bought a couple VC games. Picked up Trauma Center and Wario Ware, which got less play in January. Now the system just sits there collecting dust, less than 6 months after purchase, waiting for the next 1st party title to come along. 3rd party games, unless they are specifically made for the Wii like Elebits or Trauma Center, are just much better on the other systems.

I don't regret the purchase at all and like I said, I'm very excited about the 1st party stuff coming for it. But I wonder how many of you saying the interest won't go away are just trying to defend it rather than being completely honest with yourself and everyone else. Seriously, what harm is there in saying, "Yeah I dig it but it is kind of a fad."

And I personally don't believe you can compare it to the DS because I believe people expect a completely different experience from a handheld than they do from a console and the DS offers that. Quick pick-up-and-play gameplay for car rides, hotel stays, lying in bed before going to sleep and trips to the john (admit it, you take it with you to the toilet.)
when that happened to other consoles we just called it a post launch drought. no evidence what's happening to the wii is anything other than that.

big_z

You have a guy developing for the currently worst selling next gen system.... of course he's going to be pro PS3 and beat on the others.

theBishop

Banned
besada said:
Wow. That entire rant could have been taken from the ps3fourms.com forums. Word for ****ing word. I have literally read every single point he made coming out of the mouth of raving fanboys.

But what do you expect from someone who thought the next new thing was a WWII shooter.

You're not long for this world.

Epiphyte

Swan Song said:

You really ought to try Godfather. Its one of the first 3rd party games that seems to have been improved upon overall in it's transition to the Wii.

FrankT

Epiphyte said:
HDMI a deciding factor? :lol

The cable doesn't come in the box which means 90% of consumers will never even know it exists. He has some decent points elsewhere although Imay disagree with his conclusions, but trying to argue that an A/V connection will be a deciding factor in the console wars is ludicrous.

On that note, it's pretty much a moot point soon enough.

I'll say this much when a developer has to go to this kind of length to shore up support for a system their developing for, it certainly isn't a good sign, that much is certain.

Hunahan

Banned
jstevenson said:
You can also sign-up for our Community stuff at www.insomniacgames.com/community.php

JS

FYI - community pages are always more welcoming if you don't have to register an account before you can even take a look.

With the number of forums and blogs that people on the net these days get linked off to hourly, it just becomes too much of a hassle to juggle out a seperate tab for their web-based email to confirm the link that showed up fifteen minutes late and tripped off their spam-filter after retyping in stupid little numbers written in crazy, mismatched font and crossed out-text followed by a series of pointless questions regarding both their time zone and shoe size, simply to find out that they weren't even interested in what the link lead to in the first place. Of course, that won't stop them from winding up getting email updates from twenty two random pages they visited for just such a register-required link three years ago to notify them that a forum they don't even read will be down for maintenance on the fourteenth and they have a new PM from "katie86" entitled "discount meds from across the border! L@@K!"

I do understand it when it comes from more private communities that aren't too keen on "outsiders" peering into their world to begin with, or non-commercial sites that attempt to conserve bandwidth through pushing traffic away, but for a company like Insomniac, who's pages can largely be seen as promotional in nature anyways, this "sealed off" community idea just doesn't seem very productive.

Just my two cents.

A good read, some of the stuff had to be said, especially about the negative spin on home and such. Some of his points were good, others a bit out there. It was a slated view but he did make some valid points.

Top Bottom