• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

DarkJediKnight
(04-11-2007, 06:42 PM)
DarkJediKnight's Avatar


HDMI 1.3. Decodes Dolby True HD and DTS Master audio (finally!), upscales everything to HDMI. Ships mid May with a MSRP of $499. :D
Last edited by DarkJediKnight; 04-11-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Ned Flanders
Banned
(04-11-2007, 06:45 PM)
All that, upscales to HDMI, and it's $500???? F*cking awesome..
djkimothy
Member
(04-11-2007, 06:46 PM)
$500 USD I'm guessing? :(

Still, looks sweet! :D
DarkJediKnight
(04-11-2007, 06:47 PM)
DarkJediKnight's Avatar
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4166654

Actually $399. :D

Onkyo just threw the biggest **** You to other receiver makers with this one. They took too long to get something out and now the 605 will bite them in the ass.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(04-11-2007, 06:49 PM)
holy shit! i want!@
djkimothy
Member
(04-11-2007, 06:50 PM)

Originally Posted by DarkJediKnight

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4166654

Actually $399. :D

Oh shit...

Ok, that's a lot of tech specs to look at. Is this considered a decent receiver in your opinion?

What sucks is, our TV is positioned in such a way that even 5.1 is impossible without MASSIVE rearrangement of the living room. :(

Still nice to look at though. :)
DarkJediKnight
(04-11-2007, 06:52 PM)
DarkJediKnight's Avatar
The Onkyo 604 was a great receiver. The 605 should be no less. Onkyo will also offer the 705 with THX processing so if you want more power and THX peace of mind, get that. More expensive though.
Bebpo
trying to mount a comeback
(04-11-2007, 06:54 PM)
Bebpo's Avatar
Hmm, there's gotta be a catch. That looks way too good for that price point.
ghostmind
Slightly Aroused
(04-11-2007, 06:54 PM)
ghostmind's Avatar
Yeah, Onkyo is coming out with a massive new lineup HDMI 1.3 recievers... i'm either going with this or the 705, which adds another HDMI-in (3-in; 1-out)...
DarkJediKnight
(04-11-2007, 06:58 PM)
DarkJediKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bebpo

Hmm, there's gotta be a catch. That looks way too good for that price point.

No catch. Onkyo's philosophy on the TX SR line is, the masses will make up for the lower price.
DaCocoBrova
Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
(04-11-2007, 07:01 PM)
DaCocoBrova's Avatar
Wow. I was *this* close to pulling the trigger on a Panasonic digital receiver. I'll consider this one . I really do appreciate the digital receiver's small form factor though.
teiresias
Member
(04-11-2007, 07:09 PM)
teiresias's Avatar
Welcome to the party.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150464
Bebpo
trying to mount a comeback
(04-11-2007, 07:10 PM)
Bebpo's Avatar

Originally Posted by DarkJediKnight

No catch. Onkyo's philosophy on the TX SR line is, the masses will make up for the lower price.

Well then thanks for the heads up.

I used to have an Onkyo (maybe same series) and it was a good receiver, though I moved up to a nice Harman Kardon refurb after that. But I've really been looking for an HDMI receiver so I can watch my Blu-rays (**** you X360 player with only optical out) in 5.1 uncompressed instead of 2.0 (which is what I'm doing through optical atm), and at $400, this is really tempting.

Will keep an eye on it.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(04-11-2007, 07:12 PM)
EviLore's Avatar
Wow, excellent. Doubt there's a catch; my onkyo 604 performs admirably, and if I didn't already have that I'd definitely get this one. This should pretty much have everything most people need in a receiver.
DarienA
The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
(04-11-2007, 07:13 PM)
DarienA's Avatar
We're upgrading our family room stuff this year at the end of the year with a HDTV purchase, new receiver, and other components, and this looks like it's got strong potential of being our new receiver.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(04-11-2007, 08:18 PM)
mrklaw's Avatar
catch is, TrueHD is pointless because HDDVDs are encoded in a way that prevents players from outputting the bitstream to be decoded in such a receiver.

DTS-MA is the only real catch, but thats with the caveat that the discs enable the bitstream to be sent out.

For now I'd temper your dancing in the street and keep an eye out for the players to be updated to support MA - most already support TrueHD.
Manmademan
Member
(04-11-2007, 08:26 PM)
Manmademan's Avatar
That's...wow. what's the output on that thing?

also: LOL at the "tape" input. Isn't it time to retire that by now?
maximum360
Member
(04-11-2007, 08:37 PM)
maximum360's Avatar
Looks sweet.
Bebpo
trying to mount a comeback
(04-11-2007, 08:46 PM)
Bebpo's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

catch is, TrueHD is pointless because HDDVDs are encoded in a way that prevents players from outputting the bitstream to be decoded in such a receiver.

DTS-MA is the only real catch, but thats with the caveat that the discs enable the bitstream to be sent out.

For now I'd temper your dancing in the street and keep an eye out for the players to be updated to support MA - most already support TrueHD.

So uh, how are you supposed to listen to TrueHD tracks on HD-DVDs? Does the standalone player have to decode it and output PCM to the receiver over an HDMI cable or something?
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(04-11-2007, 08:48 PM)
mckmas8808's Avatar
So do you plug your PS3's HDMI cable to this or your HDTV?

:|
Bebpo
trying to mount a comeback
(04-11-2007, 08:50 PM)
Bebpo's Avatar

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

So do you plug your PS3's HDMI cable to this or your HDTV?

:|

You go PS3 -> Receiver -> TV. Then you get every kind of sound imaginable.
Naked Snake
(04-11-2007, 08:53 PM)
Naked Snake's Avatar
I wish these things didn't weigh a ton (or at least they look like it), importing one will be a bitch.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(04-11-2007, 08:54 PM)
mckmas8808's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bebpo

You go PS3 -> Receiver -> TV. Then you get every kind of sound imaginable.


So the Receiver -> TV uses the receiver's an HDMI out? While the PS3 -> Receiver uses the receiver's HDMI IN?
AgentOtaku
Member
(04-11-2007, 08:54 PM)
AgentOtaku's Avatar
....wow...looks like what I've been waiting for! :)
teiresias
Member
(04-11-2007, 08:57 PM)
teiresias's Avatar

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

So the Receiver -> TV uses the receiver's an HDMI out? While the PS3 -> Receiver uses the receiver's HDMI IN?

Plug PS3 into one of the receiver's HDMI-in connectors and your TV to the receiver's HDMI-out connector.
reilo
learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
(04-11-2007, 09:11 PM)
reilo's Avatar
Are you serious??!? I've been looking to replace my Yamaha receiver (which is awesome, but lacks Component connectors) with something better. This thing would be :o

I'd keep my Yamaha speakers of course. Hrmm. Yamaha better come out with something this good so it matches my equipment.

Someone have a picture of the back of this receiver?
Last edited by reilo; 04-11-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Ignatz Mouse
Vote with your $$$
(04-11-2007, 09:12 PM)
Ignatz Mouse's Avatar
Will this thing convert any kind of signal (composite, component, s-video) to HDMI? If so, I am very interested. I have a huge mass of cables going into my projector right now, that I'd love to simplify.
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(04-11-2007, 09:32 PM)
Nice, i want.
Suikoguy
I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
(04-11-2007, 09:51 PM)
Suikoguy's Avatar
I was just thinking about upgrading to a HDMI based reciever :lol :D
teiresias
Member
(04-11-2007, 09:53 PM)
teiresias's Avatar
Ok, the PDF is available for download in a post at AVS. Apparently, the 605 will output any of the inputs out of the HDMI, but it will not upscale them.
rage1973
Member
(04-11-2007, 09:57 PM)
How many HDMI inputs does it come with?
suffah
Does maths and stuff
(04-11-2007, 10:00 PM)
suffah's Avatar
That $399 pricetag is for pre-orders only...so don't wait too long if you plan on getting one.
ghostmind
Slightly Aroused
(04-11-2007, 10:46 PM)
ghostmind's Avatar

Originally Posted by rage1973

How many HDMI inputs does it come with?

The 605 has two inputs. The 705 has three. The 875 and above have four.
Bebpo
trying to mount a comeback
(04-11-2007, 10:48 PM)
Bebpo's Avatar

Originally Posted by suffah

That $399 pricetag is for pre-orders only...so don't wait too long if you plan on getting one.

OTOH it's not really a good idea to jump on receivers right when they come out as they tend to have glitches and its best to see what issues the receiver has and then decide whether they will effect you.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(04-11-2007, 11:59 PM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bebpo

So uh, how are you supposed to listen to TrueHD tracks on HD-DVDs? Does the standalone player have to decode it and output PCM to the receiver over an HDMI cable or something?


yes. The player has to do the decoding and output either LPCM over HDMI, or analog multichannel if it has the necessary outputs/DACs.
Bebpo
trying to mount a comeback
(04-12-2007, 12:08 AM)
Bebpo's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

yes. The player has to do the decoding and output either LPCM over HDMI, or analog multichannel if it has the necessary outputs/DACs.

:(

Any chance that the X360 Elite combined with the X360 HD-DVD player will decode TrueHD Audio and pass it to the receiver through LPCM over HDMI?
JediMasterMatt
Member
(04-12-2007, 12:12 AM)
Bebpo - Unfortunately no chance unless they make a last minute redesign of the Xbox. They've already confirmed that the HDMI out doesn't send/decode/or pass any audio.

My guess is that it's because the vid chipset is feeding the HDMI with no tie into the audio processing of the 360.

This news made me a sad panda.
MrPonx
Member
(04-12-2007, 12:25 AM)
what does "upscales to HDMI" means?
Raistlin
Post Count: 9999
(04-12-2007, 12:33 AM)
Raistlin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ned Flanders

All that, upscales to HDMI, and it's $500???? F*cking awesome..

Sony has a 1.3 receiver coming out for $399 (MSRP) ... pretty sure it does HDMI upconversion.



Originally Posted by MrPonx

what does "upscales to HDMI" means?

upscaling/upconversion usually means transcoding. ie. all of your video, whether hooked up via composite, s-video, component, or HDMI will be outputtable via HDMI.

This does not change the resolution however (though many include a de-interlacer since a lot of TV's will not accept 480i via HDMI).



Originally Posted by Bebpo

:(

Any chance that the X360 Elite combined with the X360 HD-DVD player will decode TrueHD Audio and pass it to the receiver through LPCM over HDMI?


No ... and that's why a lot of us (a/v-philes) are pissed.
Last edited by Raistlin; 04-12-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Manmademan
Member
(04-12-2007, 12:36 AM)
Manmademan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Onix

Sony has a 1.3 receiver coming out for $399 ... pretty sure it does HDMI upconversion.

yeah, but Onkyo is generally much much better than your run of the mill Sony Stuff.
Raistlin
Post Count: 9999
(04-12-2007, 12:41 AM)
Raistlin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Manmademan

yeah, but Onkyo is generally much much better than your run of the mill Sony Stuff.

On average, yes. Every once in a while Sony has a gem in the low end though.
J-Rzez
Member
(04-12-2007, 12:44 AM)
J-Rzez's Avatar

Originally Posted by EviLore

Wow, excellent. Doubt there's a catch; my onkyo 604 performs admirably, and if I didn't already have that I'd definitely get this one. This should pretty much have everything most people need in a receiver.

I have the 604 as well, and recommend it to anyone... This new unit will be even better... and if that preorder is at $400, jump on that... Onkyo makes some really respectable gear, and this is from a Denon fanboy...
DarkJediKnight
(04-12-2007, 12:44 AM)
DarkJediKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrPonx

what does "upscales to HDMI" means?

Upscale means all your connections (component, S-video etc..) gets re-routed to the HDMI output, so you only need 1 cable going to your display.

However, it's not the same as upconversion. The higher Onkyo models (905, etc) will upconvert everything to 1080p using the Recon chip. So if you have your PS2 connected to the receiver by component and plug the 905 receiver you your tv with HDMI, then your PS2 image will be upconverted to 1080p.

On the 605 or 705, your PS2 image will come out of HDMI at 480p.

The recon chip is a phenominal upconverter.
Kleegamefan
K. LEE GAIDEN
(04-12-2007, 12:56 AM)
Kleegamefan's Avatar
OH SNAP!!!
Kleegamefan
K. LEE GAIDEN
(04-12-2007, 01:03 AM)
Kleegamefan's Avatar
OH SHITS X2......Onkyo 875 and 905 have Silicon Optix Realta HQV chip onboard!!! @_@





i said wow....




How much wow?



The 875/905 could make so-so cheapy HDTVs a viable alternative since they skimp on the scaler/deinterlacer chip........

With the Onkyo's you would bypass that crap and just use the Reon chip in the reciever to handle scaling/deinterlacing of ALL your sources!!!


Can I say wow again?
Last edited by Kleegamefan; 04-12-2007 at 01:07 AM.
GitarooMan
Member
(04-12-2007, 01:06 AM)
GitarooMan's Avatar
Nice, I'm a big Onkyo receiver fan, I've got older 500 and 600 models and both have been great.
Raistlin
Post Count: 9999
(04-12-2007, 01:11 AM)
Raistlin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kleegamefan

OH SHITS X2......Onkyo 875 and 905 have Silicon Optix Realta HQV chip onboard!!! @_@





i said wow....




How much wow?



The 875/905 could make so-so cheapy HDTVs a viable alternative since they skimp on the scaler/deinterlacer chip........

With the Onkyo's you would bypass that crap and just use the Reon chip in the reciever to handle scaling/deinterlacing of ALL your sources!!!


Can I say wow again?

Pull out the amp and throw in Audyssey MultEQ XT and I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
JediMasterMatt
Member
(04-12-2007, 02:06 AM)
Onix... you better check your heartbeat because the 875 & 905 both have Audyssey MultiEQXT and the 905 has what sounds to be a kick ass amp with separate transformers for audio and video. No published specs but I'm guessing somewhere north of 120watts/channel x 7 or 9 with very low THD.

Check out the .pdf available over at AVS for more info on all the specs.

The 905 IS the deal of video and audio processing we've all been waiting for - especially considering it'll street sub $1700 with any luck.

This is what I said in the other thread about the 905:

Actually, the new Onkyo 905 seems like a steal of a deal. It'll have Reon video processing and upscaling and transcode everything to be output over one of its two HDMI outputs. For those that don't know, the Reon is the 2nd best overall video processing chip around and it's arguably the best or equal to the Realta up to 1080p.

Just think of the joy of having two rooms with HDMI devices running off of a single bank of equipment.... drool. Only having to deal with one PSTrips, XboxenRounden, Wii, and HDDVD player makes this one the receiver to beat. The fact that I can have my homt theater room with projector and computer room with stand along HDTV both share source devices makes me HAWT.

Onkyo - you just got $2k of my loot.
Raistlin
Post Count: 9999
(04-12-2007, 03:01 AM)
Raistlin's Avatar

Originally Posted by JediMasterMatt

Onix... you better check your heartbeat because the 875 & 905 both have Audyssey MultiEQXT and the 905 has what sounds to be a kick ass amp with separate transformers for audio and video. No published specs but I'm guessing somewhere north of 120watts/channel x 7 or 9 with very low THD.

Check out the .pdf available over at AVS for more info on all the specs.

The 905 IS the deal of video and audio processing we've all been waiting for - especially considering it'll street sub $1700 with any luck.

This is what I said in the other thread about the 905:

Actually, the new Onkyo 905 seems like a steal of a deal. It'll have Reon video processing and upscaling and transcode everything to be output over one of its two HDMI outputs. For those that don't know, the Reon is the 2nd best overall video processing chip around and it's arguably the best or equal to the Realta up to 1080p.

Just think of the joy of having two rooms with HDMI devices running off of a single bank of equipment.... drool. Only having to deal with one PSTrips, XboxenRounden, Wii, and HDDVD player makes this one the receiver to beat. The fact that I can have my homt theater room with projector and computer room with stand along HDTV both share source devices makes me HAWT.

Onkyo - you just got $2k of my loot.

Interesting ... it will definitely be on my list.

I could care less about the amp section, as I have separates ... but if a receiver gives me the sound and features I want (versus a comparable pre/pro), I certainly will consider it.


Right now, the upcoming Sherwood-based platform (Sherwood Newcastle, Emotiva, Outlaw (probably), others?) is on the top of my list.

Others include this Onkyo, as well as Sony ES. I think by the end of the year we'll see a lot of HDMI 1.3 units out, with others being spec'd though ... so it's probably worth it to wait for some reviews.
Kleegamefan
K. LEE GAIDEN
(04-12-2007, 04:33 AM)
Kleegamefan's Avatar

Originally Posted by JediMasterMatt

Onix... you better check your heartbeat because the 875 & 905 both have Audyssey MultiEQXT and the 905 has what sounds to be a kick ass amp with separate transformers for audio and video. No published specs but I'm guessing somewhere north of 120watts/channel x 7 or 9 with very low THD.

Check out the .pdf available over at AVS for more info on all the specs.

The 905 IS the deal of video and audio processing we've all been waiting for - especially considering it'll street sub $1700 with any luck.

This is what I said in the other thread about the 905:

Actually, the new Onkyo 905 seems like a steal of a deal. It'll have Reon video processing and upscaling and transcode everything to be output over one of its two HDMI outputs. For those that don't know, the Reon is the 2nd best overall video processing chip around and it's arguably the best or equal to the Realta up to 1080p.

Just think of the joy of having two rooms with HDMI devices running off of a single bank of equipment.... drool. Only having to deal with one PSTrips, XboxenRounden, Wii, and HDDVD player makes this one the receiver to beat. The fact that I can have my homt theater room with projector and computer room with stand along HDTV both share source devices makes me HAWT.

Onkyo - you just got $2k of my loot.



It is so much more than that!!!


What if you are intrested in a Panasonic Plasma but realise it doesnt properly deinterlace 1080i sources:


OR

A Westinghouse/Vizio 1080p is in your budget but that would mean you sacrifice SD performance because the internal processing in both those TVs SUXXORZ....


PROBLEM SOLVED WITH THE 875/905!!! :D

Thread Tools