• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

REV 09

i'm noticing a lot of folks harping about the presentation aspects of the game...and rightfully so, the music is epic, the cutscenes are gorgeous, the in-game visuals are quite good, and hell even the box art looks awesome. However, there is still something that keeps butting its head into my excitement for this game....and that's the gameplay itself. Flying around looks amazing, but nearly every action that the dragons perform looks "off". All of that ramming and physicality that the 3rd vid displayed was imo both awful and awkward. It doesn't look right. The QTE moments don't look right, the ground combat doesn't look right. The FLYING looks perfect though. Maybe i'll feel different when i play it, maybe they'll fix some of the animations before release...i don't know. But that Music vid makes me soo hyped for the game..then i see the "game" under the presentation and it goes away a bit. The demo will probably tell all...overall, i am excited to get my hands it though.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Pristine_Condition said:
I recently read the long article about the music of Lair, so I wasn't surprised by it, but boy I can't wait to get the 7.1 cranked up. (Though to be honest, when I do get my new 7.1 HDMI-capable reciever, most likely it'll be Resistance getting the first play)

The rest of the vids left me stunned. Wow. This game is totally cemented in my Top Ten Most Anticipated Games list.

Glad I have a PS3 for epic games like this.

:)

If you are looking for a reciever, I would suggest the upcoming Onkyo 605....accepts 7.1ch LPCM over HDMI *and* it has internal Dolby TrueHD(Warner and Sony Blu Ray) and dts HD Master Audio(Fox Blu ray) decoders:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150479

MSRP is $499 but street price should be <$400

Perfect for your PS3 :)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
g35twinturbo said:
thank you sir, i was looking for a receiver. Now I think I may have found one :)

Just so you know, there is an entire *family* of new PS3-friendly Onkyo recivers....ranging from the $299 TX-SR505 (accepts 7.1ch LPCM via HDMI, HDMI 1.3 compatible).....all the way to the high zoot $2000 TX-SR905(THX Ultra 2 cert., Silicon Optix ReonVX 1080p video processor)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=831063

There is something for everybody :)

ThirdEye said:
It's a pity GTA4 has no plane. Morons at Rockstar should use the Lair engine.

Hahahaha I was just thinking of this. Is the 360's Dvd holding back Rockstar? This engine surely could work for GTA imagine a parade of 1000 people marching down the street. Also the dragon takes off a lot faster than a plane IMO. So GTA would benefit A TON from this engine.

ELS-01X

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Hahahaha I was just thinking of this. Is the 360's Dvd holding back Rockstar? This engine surely could work for GTA imagine a parade of 1000 people marching down the street. Also the dragon takes off a lot faster than a plane IMO. So GTA would benefit A TON from this engine.
I doubt it's the hardware's fault, but rather, Rockstar's. They've never been graphicaly proficient.

InterMoniker said:

If GTA 4 is so crippled, I'm sure someone will release a 'Saints Row' or 'Crackdown' style playground game with much greater detail and depth and that will make GTA 4 seem like a waste of money and time, right? Should anybody even buy GTA 4?

ELS-01X said:
I doubt it's the hardware's fault, but rather, Rockstar's. They've never been graphicaly proficient.
That's true...

JB1981 said:
The new Gamer's Day trailer is up and it's terrible. http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=mov&id=18638
The video quality is shit, but the trailer is magnificent!:D
LAMBO said:
That sucks, heli's can't be gone too right? The planes weren't that much fun but the parachutte was great.
Is swimming gone too?

beermonkey@tehbias said:
If GTA 4 is so crippled, I'm sure someone will release a 'Saints Row' or 'Crackdown' style playground game with much greater detail and depth and that will make GTA 4 seem like a waste of money and time, right? Should anybody even buy GTA 4?
It doesn't matter because everyone will buy GTA4 whore.

including me

ELS-01X said:

I agree! I bet GTA V will have planes! Not including planes in GTA IV is just a marketing move so they can rattle up some excitement from gamers when they announce GTA V will have planes....

Otherwise there will no new stuff left for GTA V, the whole genre has been played out anyway....

Doom_Bringer said:
I agree! I bet GTA V will have planes! Not including planes in GTA IV is just a marketing move so they can rattle up some excitement from gamers when they announce GTA V will have planes....

Otherwise there will no new stuff left for GTA V, the whole genre has been played out anyway....

Yep I realized that when I was playing GTA : Liberty City Stories. In one mission one frickin mission you could highjack a helicopter but it was a glitch. That pissed me off! Essentially they had the code for the helicopters in GTA:LCS for psp but didn't let you use it

calder

REV 09 said:
the music is epic, the cutscenes are gorgeous, the in-game visuals are quite good, and hell even the box art looks awesome. However, there is still something that keeps butting its head into my excitement for this game....and that's the gameplay itself
Me too. I really love the scope and scale of what you see, but there is just something about the gameplay you see that makes me think I won't actually like the game very much. Well, that and the fact Rogue Squadron etc never really clicked with me. Hope there's a demo before release, because unless I know I don't care for the gameplay beforehand I will be picking it up day 1. ;)

jett

D-Member
The crappy fire effects are present even during cut-scenes, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they're here to stay.

jett said:
The crappy fire effects are present even during cut-scenes, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they're here to stay.
jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 03:45 AM)
Reply | Quote

Wow......:lol

I hope they change it.

OH SHIT MORE VIDEOS

Kittonwy

Banned
Coral snake is teh awesome.
angry.gif

Kangu

Banned
jett said:

For realz. How could you **** up the fire effects in a game where the most basic attack is balls of flame? Maybe F5 can beg Kojima for the code of the fury's flamethrower attacks. Surely if the PS2 could do it the PS3 can in upgraded resolution.

Dante

Simply jawdropping, aside from the framerate (which should be fixed) only pet peeve with this was the flame and ice effects, everything else is just amazing.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I like the new videos, Coral Snake is very cool. I like the Mantas as well whatever they are called.

JB1981

InterMoniker said:
Ok..................................... This isn't school.

I care about grammar only when someone posts are unreadable.
there was nothing wrong with the grammar in my post. i guess he just wanted to emphasize that there is more than one coral snake in the game. *shrug*

Steroyd

ThirdEye said:
It's a pity GTA4 has no plane. Morons at Rockstar should use the Lair engine.

Wait a damn minute!?! >_<

GTAIV is meant to be an improvement over last gen.

What next? The inability to swim again I let it slide on the PSP because of technical constraints but I won't tolerate anything less on the freaking PS3.

pissedoffkrazyman.gif

JB1981 said:
there was nothing wrong with the grammar in my post. i guess he just wanted to emphasize that there is more than one coral snake in the game. *shrug*
Oh oops. I've just got fed up in certain forums/threads where people try and correct grammar.

Wollan

I bet Lair refers to some 'secret' underground dragon lair/race that keeps expanding which is the main cause of the lava eruptions and whatnot.

Deepblue

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

@ the trailer

"IN A WORLD!"

I'm personally saddened that it was mostly the TGS06 CG though with only snippets of game play. I could've probably cut together a better trailer. The game's setting definitely deserves better.

Wollan said:
I bet Lair refers to some 'secret' underground dragon lair/race that keeps expanding which is the main cause of the lava eruptions and whatnot.

From the way the CEO talks about it no! You start off as a good airforce pilot, defending your country and whatnot but by the end of the game the character has probably transformed into a Kratos like figure. Going around killing everyone with no regard for human life. I don't think the earthquakes have anything to do with an underground race like the Locust Horde. No emergance holes here buddy!

Wollan

The story of Lair is that constant lava eruptions and soil dying out forces other kingdoms to try to invade the main kingdom (ours) for what is basically the only fertile land left. Why the world is 'dying' is obviously a big plot element.

Deepblue

Banned
Holy crap? Did Julian just say that Lair is the first thing to do Dragons with bat wings? That guy is awesomely delusional. Seriously, the dragons look like any other Western vision I've seen.

Also: "You can burn them because they have fur, and fur is good for burning."

:lol

Gold.

theBishop

Banned
Wollan said:
The story of Lair is that constant lava eruptions and soil dying out forces other kingdoms to try to invade the main kingdom (ours) for what is basically the only fertile land left. Why the world is 'dying' is obviously a big plot element.

The dragons breed in the volcanoes. But I don't think that will be a core of the story. I think it has to do with Rohn realizing that the enemies are people trying to survive. Julian has mentioned how finding food is a serious problem for the people outside the city.

Also, going along with the other modern-event tie-ins I wouldn't be surprised if the kingdom was exploiting the others in some horrible way.

Deepblue

Banned
theBishop said:
The dragons breed in the volcanoes. But I don't think that will be a core of the story. I think it has to do with Rohn realizing that the enemies are people trying to survive. Julian has mentioned how finding food is a serious problem for the people outside the city.

Also, going along with the other modern-event tie-ins I wouldn't be surprised if the kingdom was exploiting the others in some horrible way.

I do so very much hate when politics get in my games.

Just give me DRAGONS!!!

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Deepblue said:
Holy crap? Did Julian just say that Lair is the first thing to do Dragons with bat wings? That guy is batshit insane. Seriously, the dragons look like any other Western vision I've seen.

Also: "You can burn them because they have fur, and fur is good for burning."

:lol

Gold.

While I agree with you, though I probably wouldn't go as far as calling him batshit insane, I love how much positivity you bring into any PS3 thread that you enter <sarcasm>.

Top Bottom