• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

REV 09
(04-17-2007, 03:21 AM)
i'm noticing a lot of folks harping about the presentation aspects of the game...and rightfully so, the music is epic, the cutscenes are gorgeous, the in-game visuals are quite good, and hell even the box art looks awesome. However, there is still something that keeps butting its head into my excitement for this game....and that's the gameplay itself. Flying around looks amazing, but nearly every action that the dragons perform looks "off". All of that ramming and physicality that the 3rd vid displayed was imo both awful and awkward. It doesn't look right. The QTE moments don't look right, the ground combat doesn't look right. The FLYING looks perfect though. Maybe i'll feel different when i play it, maybe they'll fix some of the animations before release...i don't know. But that Music vid makes me soo hyped for the game..then i see the "game" under the presentation and it goes away a bit. The demo will probably tell all...overall, i am excited to get my hands it though.
Kleegamefan
K. LEE GAIDEN
(04-17-2007, 03:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Pristine_Condition

I recently read the long article about the music of Lair, so I wasn't surprised by it, but boy I can't wait to get the 7.1 cranked up. (Though to be honest, when I do get my new 7.1 HDMI-capable reciever, most likely it'll be Resistance getting the first play)

The rest of the vids left me stunned. Wow. This game is totally cemented in my Top Ten Most Anticipated Games list.

Glad I have a PS3 for epic games like this.

:)

If you are looking for a reciever, I would suggest the upcoming Onkyo 605....accepts 7.1ch LPCM over HDMI *and* it has internal Dolby TrueHD(Warner and Sony Blu Ray) and dts HD Master Audio(Fox Blu ray) decoders:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150479

MSRP is $499 but street price should be <$400

Perfect for your PS3 :)
Last edited by Kleegamefan; 04-17-2007 at 03:31 AM.
brandonh83
(04-17-2007, 03:28 AM)

Originally Posted by spwolf

why get it downgraded when you can get it in 1080P :D

Because I don't have a 1080p capable television.
BeEatNU
WORLDSTAAAAAAR
(04-17-2007, 03:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Kleegamefan

If you are looking for a reciever, I would suggest the upcoming Onkyo 605....accepts 7.1ch LPCM over HDMI *and* it has internal Dolby TrueHD and dts HD Master Audio :

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150479

MSRP is $499 but street price should be <$400

Perfect for your PS3 :)

thank you sir, i was looking for a receiver. Now I think I may have found one :)
Kleegamefan
K. LEE GAIDEN
(04-17-2007, 03:37 AM)

Originally Posted by g35twinturbo

thank you sir, i was looking for a receiver. Now I think I may have found one :)

Just so you know, there is an entire *family* of new PS3-friendly Onkyo recivers....ranging from the $299 TX-SR505 (accepts 7.1ch LPCM via HDMI, HDMI 1.3 compatible).....all the way to the high zoot $2000 TX-SR905(THX Ultra 2 cert., Silicon Optix ReonVX 1080p video processor)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=831063

There is something for everybody :)
Doom_Bringer
Banned
(04-17-2007, 03:43 AM)
Looks like gametrailers just uploaded a new trailer titled Gamers day trailer. Sony gamers day is already over?
LAMBO
(04-17-2007, 04:15 AM)

Originally Posted by PS360

Aye. Tis.

That sucks, heli's can't be gone too right? The planes weren't that much fun but the parachutte was great.
InterMoniker
(04-17-2007, 04:15 AM)

Originally Posted by ThirdEye

It's a pity GTA4 has no plane. Morons at Rockstar should use the Lair engine.

Hahahaha I was just thinking of this. Is the 360's Dvd holding back Rockstar? This engine surely could work for GTA imagine a parade of 1000 people marching down the street. Also the dragon takes off a lot faster than a plane IMO. So GTA would benefit A TON from this engine.
ELS-01X
Banned
(04-17-2007, 04:22 AM)

Originally Posted by InterMoniker

Hahahaha I was just thinking of this. Is the 360's Dvd holding back Rockstar? This engine surely could work for GTA imagine a parade of 1000 people marching down the street. Also the dragon takes off a lot faster than a plane IMO. So GTA would benefit A TON from this engine.

I doubt it's the hardware's fault, but rather, Rockstar's. They've never been graphicaly proficient.
Beer Monkey
(04-17-2007, 04:26 AM)

If GTA 4 is so crippled, I'm sure someone will release a 'Saints Row' or 'Crackdown' style playground game with much greater detail and depth and that will make GTA 4 seem like a waste of money and time, right? Should anybody even buy GTA 4?
InterMoniker
(04-17-2007, 04:26 AM)

Originally Posted by ELS-01X

I doubt it's the hardware's fault, but rather, Rockstar's. They've never been graphicaly proficient.

That's true...

Originally Posted by JB1981

The new Gamer's Day trailer is up and it's terrible. http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...e=mov&id=18638

The video quality is shit, but the trailer is magnificent!:D

Originally Posted by LAMBO

That sucks, heli's can't be gone too right? The planes weren't that much fun but the parachutte was great.

Is swimming gone too?

Originally Posted by beermonkey@tehbias

If GTA 4 is so crippled, I'm sure someone will release a 'Saints Row' or 'Crackdown' style playground game with much greater detail and depth and that will make GTA 4 seem like a waste of money and time, right? Should anybody even buy GTA 4?

It doesn't matter because everyone will buy GTA4 whore.

including me
Doom_Bringer
Banned
(04-17-2007, 04:27 AM)

I agree! I bet GTA V will have planes! Not including planes in GTA IV is just a marketing move so they can rattle up some excitement from gamers when they announce GTA V will have planes....

Otherwise there will no new stuff left for GTA V, the whole genre has been played out anyway....
kevm3
(04-17-2007, 04:27 AM)
awesome music.
InterMoniker
(04-17-2007, 04:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Doom_Bringer

I agree! I bet GTA V will have planes! Not including planes in GTA IV is just a marketing move so they can rattle up some excitement from gamers when they announce GTA V will have planes....

Otherwise there will no new stuff left for GTA V, the whole genre has been played out anyway....

Yep I realized that when I was playing GTA : Liberty City Stories. In one mission one frickin mission you could highjack a helicopter but it was a glitch. That pissed me off! Essentially they had the code for the helicopters in GTA:LCS for psp but didn't let you use it
calder
Awesome Овечкин
Овечкин is awesome
(04-17-2007, 04:33 AM)

Originally Posted by REV 09

the music is epic, the cutscenes are gorgeous, the in-game visuals are quite good, and hell even the box art looks awesome. However, there is still something that keeps butting its head into my excitement for this game....and that's the gameplay itself

Me too. I really love the scope and scale of what you see, but there is just something about the gameplay you see that makes me think I won't actually like the game very much. Well, that and the fact Rogue Squadron etc never really clicked with me. Hope there's a demo before release, because unless I know I don't care for the gameplay beforehand I will be picking it up day 1. ;)
jett
(04-17-2007, 04:45 AM)
The crappy fire effects are present even during cut-scenes, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they're here to stay.
DantesWrath
(04-17-2007, 05:04 AM)
Well new trailers (probably old tho lol):

Gamers Day Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=wmv&pl=game

In depth interview

Creature presentation
InterMoniker
(04-17-2007, 05:05 AM)

Originally Posted by jett

The crappy fire effects are present even during cut-scenes, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they're here to stay.

jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 03:45 AM)
Reply | Quote

Wow......:lol

I hope they change it.

OH SHIT MORE VIDEOS
Kittonwy
Banned
(04-17-2007, 05:13 AM)
Coral snake is teh awesome.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(04-17-2007, 05:27 AM)

Originally Posted by DantesWrath

Well new trailers (probably old tho lol):

Gamers Day Trailer

In depth interview

Creature presentation

My god man. Sony went all out with this one.
Kangu
Banned
(04-17-2007, 05:28 AM)

Originally Posted by jett

For realz. How could you **** up the fire effects in a game where the most basic attack is balls of flame? Maybe F5 can beg Kojima for the code of the fury's flamethrower attacks. Surely if the PS2 could do it the PS3 can in upgraded resolution.
Wollan
Banned
(04-17-2007, 05:31 AM)
Wow, new videos now. I wasn't paying attention.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(04-17-2007, 05:48 AM)
I'm wondering when the demo will come out.
Dante
(04-17-2007, 05:48 AM)
Simply jawdropping, aside from the framerate (which should be fixed) only pet peeve with this was the flame and ice effects, everything else is just amazing.
Thunderbear
Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
(04-17-2007, 05:49 AM)
I like the new videos, Coral Snake is very cool. I like the Mantas as well whatever they are called.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(04-17-2007, 05:55 AM)
The music in the Creatures video is fantastic.

The Coral Snake is more than one mile long. :O
Kittonwy
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:02 AM)
Where are teh manatees?
Reilly
Self-Confessed Team Killer Scumbag, Want my Gamertag?
(04-17-2007, 06:18 AM)
the water is so amazing
InterMoniker
(04-17-2007, 06:24 AM)

The music in the Creatures video is fantastic.

The Coral Snake is more than one mile long. :O

Ya thats pretty badass. :D

Originally Posted by Kittonwy

Where are teh manatees?

Hmmmmmmmm... You mean the giant floating manta-ray looking things. I thought I saw one.
ELS-01X
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:26 AM)

The Coral Snakes are more than one mile long. :O

Fixed
InterMoniker
(04-17-2007, 06:32 AM)

Fixed

Ok..................................... This isn't school.

I care about grammar only when someone posts are unreadable.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(04-17-2007, 06:33 AM)

Ok..................................... This isn't school.

I care about grammar only when someone posts are unreadable.

there was nothing wrong with the grammar in my post. i guess he just wanted to emphasize that there is more than one coral snake in the game. *shrug*
Steroyd
(04-17-2007, 06:39 AM)

Originally Posted by ThirdEye

It's a pity GTA4 has no plane. Morons at Rockstar should use the Lair engine.

Wait a damn minute!?! >_<

GTAIV is meant to be an improvement over last gen.

What next? The inability to swim again I let it slide on the PSP because of technical constraints but I won't tolerate anything less on the freaking PS3.

pissedoffkrazyman.gif
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(04-17-2007, 06:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Reilly

the water is so amazing

Yep look at how it moves in my gif when the coral snake jumps into the water.

InterMoniker
(04-17-2007, 06:40 AM)

there was nothing wrong with the grammar in my post. i guess he just wanted to emphasize that there is more than one coral snake in the game. *shrug*

Oh oops. I've just got fed up in certain forums/threads where people try and correct grammar.
Kittonwy
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:41 AM)
My god that water.
Wollan
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:42 AM)
I bet Lair refers to some 'secret' underground dragon lair/race that keeps expanding which is the main cause of the lava eruptions and whatnot.
Deepblue
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:46 AM)
:lol :lol :lol

@ the trailer

"IN A WORLD!"

I'm personally saddened that it was mostly the TGS06 CG though with only snippets of game play. I could've probably cut together a better trailer. The game's setting definitely deserves better.
gbovo
(04-17-2007, 06:47 AM)

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

Doom_Bringer
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Wollan

I bet Lair refers to some 'secret' underground dragon lair/race that keeps expanding which is the main cause of the lava eruptions and whatnot.

From the way the CEO talks about it no! You start off as a good airforce pilot, defending your country and whatnot but by the end of the game the character has probably transformed into a Kratos like figure. Going around killing everyone with no regard for human life. I don't think the earthquakes have anything to do with an underground race like the Locust Horde. No emergance holes here buddy!
Wollan
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:50 AM)
The story of Lair is that constant lava eruptions and soil dying out forces other kingdoms to try to invade the main kingdom (ours) for what is basically the only fertile land left. Why the world is 'dying' is obviously a big plot element.
InterMoniker
(04-17-2007, 06:52 AM)

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

Nice people were trying to complain that "teh waters not moving when the snake jumps in" :D
My Arms Your Hearse
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:52 AM)
A bit disappointing that most of the footage from the three newest vids seems to be some of the poorer previous vids recycled.
Deepblue
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:54 AM)
Holy crap? Did Julian just say that Lair is the first thing to do Dragons with bat wings? That guy is awesomely delusional. Seriously, the dragons look like any other Western vision I've seen.

Also: "You can burn them because they have fur, and fur is good for burning."

:lol

Gold.
Last edited by Deepblue; 04-17-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Norml
(04-17-2007, 06:57 AM)
The water looks so good.

ps. is a thread open about crysis ps3?
http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/wanted-...ort-252761.php
Last edited by Norml; 04-17-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Deepblue
Banned
(04-17-2007, 06:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Norml

The water looks so good.

ps. is a thread open about crysis ps3?
http://www.crytek.com/jobs/item.php?id=42&s=jobs&pID=4

Oh god not again.

1. Old.
2. It used to list 360 programmer as well. They must have filled the position.
3. Debunked. They are porting the engine, not the game.

Also, just because you can't make topics, don't derail other threads.
theBishop
Banned
(04-17-2007, 07:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Wollan

The story of Lair is that constant lava eruptions and soil dying out forces other kingdoms to try to invade the main kingdom (ours) for what is basically the only fertile land left. Why the world is 'dying' is obviously a big plot element.

The dragons breed in the volcanoes. But I don't think that will be a core of the story. I think it has to do with Rohn realizing that the enemies are people trying to survive. Julian has mentioned how finding food is a serious problem for the people outside the city.

Also, going along with the other modern-event tie-ins I wouldn't be surprised if the kingdom was exploiting the others in some horrible way.
FtsH
(04-17-2007, 07:02 AM)
The Music of Lair video is so awesome, I really hope their work can turn into huge sale.
Deepblue
Banned
(04-17-2007, 07:02 AM)

Originally Posted by theBishop

The dragons breed in the volcanoes. But I don't think that will be a core of the story. I think it has to do with Rohn realizing that the enemies are people trying to survive. Julian has mentioned how finding food is a serious problem for the people outside the city.

Also, going along with the other modern-event tie-ins I wouldn't be surprised if the kingdom was exploiting the others in some horrible way.

I do so very much hate when politics get in my games.

Just give me DRAGONS!!!
Thunderbear
Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
(04-17-2007, 07:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Deepblue

Holy crap? Did Julian just say that Lair is the first thing to do Dragons with bat wings? That guy is batshit insane. Seriously, the dragons look like any other Western vision I've seen.

Also: "You can burn them because they have fur, and fur is good for burning."

:lol

Gold.

While I agree with you, though I probably wouldn't go as far as calling him batshit insane, I love how much positivity you bring into any PS3 thread that you enter <sarcasm>.