• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME spit out dummies over PS3 Oblivion.

nofi

This is speculation, apparently, but 'quite likely'.

Lock if old, etc.

Basically, GAME aren't prepared to pay Ubisoft what they're asking for PS3 Oblivion, so GAME won't be selling it (in-store and online). Basically, they can't make enough money on it, despite being £50.

I checked today, this indeed does appear to be the case. Gameplay are doing the same thing (not sure if the two companies are related, sorry).

Glad I imported it now.

nofi

I wonder what the wholesale price actually is. I know a GAME manager - hold on.

Edit - he knows they're not selling it, but not why...

nofi

tahrikmili said:
The 360 version is 18 quids on sendit.com - which idiot would buy the PS3 version anyway? :lol

Folk without a 360?

Perhaps that's GAME's way of thinking too, though.

CAPCOWNED

Banned
tahrikmili said:
The 360 version is 18 quids on sendit.com - which idiot would buy the PS3 version anyway? :lol

Take a look at 360 hw sales. There's a lot of people out there that doesn't have a 360, believe it or not. Even less people have a Oblivion friendly PC.

Nice calling PS3 owners idiots. I'm sure the mods will like that one.

tahrikmili said:

283474464_0181e4ac84_o.jpg

nofi

Majik said:
Then i don't see the problem. I would have thought prospective Oblivion sales would outweigh prospective Fight Night sales.

Sure, but EA are probably selling Fight Night to GAME cheaper than Ubisoft are selling Oblivion to GAME.

spwolf

No wonder Amazon.co.uk had PS3 Oblivion as #2 best selling video games part, and Amazon.de had it at #8 place when I checked... Selling well so it seems.

Burai

shitonmychest57
It's probably a volume issue.

A lot of stores have been firesaling 360 Oblivion over here (I got a copy for £12 online!) I'm not surprised they don't want to get lumbered with another version of a game they can't sell past the first couple of months of release. If they are being forced to take a lot of pieces of PS3 Oblivion you can understand why they might not be too keen on stocking it.

Ranger X

I'd bet it's the retail industry slowly becoming more and more pissed at not making money with games and consoles. They are ****ing cry babies seriously. This "not enough money" argument (that is getting more ala mode each day) can be applied anywhere in any industry about whatever the **** we want. They should just shut up. Start a clothing store or music store if you don't make enough money selling games.

Kittonwy

Banned
tahrikmili said:

I bought the PS3 version because I have a PS3. I also got Fight Night and Godfather for the PS3.
Indifferent2.gif

jjasper

nofilter said:
It's crazy. It's the first decent Ubisoft port, yet they still won't sell any*.

*via GAME.

Ubisoft isn't the reason it is a good port though, that was all Bethesda's doing

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
Looks like more than speculation now...

According to their site they're not expecting to receive any more stock (and it's 'out of stock' right now) due to 'supply issues'.

That could get quite political.

nofi

MisterTHQ said:
Looks like more than speculation now...

According to their site they're not expecting to receive any more stock (and it's 'out of stock' right now) due to 'supply issues'.

That could get quite political.

Watch it be the number 1 selling PS3 game in the UK... :D

Bowen_B

Banned
CAPCOWNED said:
Take a look at 360 hw sales. There's a lot of people out there that doesn't have a 360, believe it or not. Even less people have a Oblivion friendly PC.

Shut up Junior.

GAME's competitiors (the other 40% of the games retail sector) simply take the product, and mark it up until they get a satisfactory profit margin.

Virgin have several Wii games at £45 because third party publishers were not offering the £18 that a copy of Zelda earns. (£22 from Nintendo, £40 on the shelf)

GAME are getting pissy because they don't like breaking out of their set pricing structure- UK gamers aren't retarded. They'll just go to HMV, Tesco, Amazon.co.uk or their local equivalent and buy it.
GAME have a 60% monopoly but they won't be able to bully people with a high profile game on a newly launched system.

Irrespective of any arguments regarding whether it matters. Ubisoft need to explain why they are not budging- a breakdown of their overheads (translation, voice actors, licensing, manafacturing, logistics) would be nice.

Apocryphon

Called GAME at the Trafford Centre in Manchester and was told that they didn't have it in, didn't have it down for coming in and didn't know whether they would be getting it at all.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
bengraven said:
Is this a Euro thing? Because I thought 2K was publishing Oblivion...

not the PS3 version. Bethesda published the PS3 version in North America, and got Ubisoft to do it in Europe.

tahrikmili said:
Tahrikmili it might surprise you that not everyone has "Jumped In." 9-10 million 360 owners is a lot, but the PSP has 20 million users already put that in your M$ pipe and smoke it.
CAPCOWNED said:

Bowen_B said:
Shut up Junior.
Why don't you shut up, this junior CAPCOWNED has better points than your one liners...

Kittonwy said:
I bought the PS3 version because I have a PS3. I also got Fight Night and Godfather for the PS3.
Indifferent2.gif

I guess I'm an idiot too
Indifferent2.gif

sprocket said:
Stealth troll to downplay the only superior port the ps3 has?
Ubisoft uber conspiracy Af00t o_0

j/k

Forsete

Ubisoft? What do they have to do with Oblivion?

My imported version of PS3 Oblivion does not have the Ubi logo on it.

Aeon712

Forsete said:
Ubisoft? What do they have to do with Oblivion?

My imported version of PS3 Oblivion does not have the Ubi logo on it.
Ubi is the publisher for Europe only, your imported version is prob from NA.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Visualante said:
GAME's competitiors (the other 40% of the games retail sector) simply take the product, and mark it up until they get a satisfactory profit margin.

Virgin have several Wii games at £45 because third party publishers were not offering the £18 that a copy of Zelda earns. (£22 from Nintendo, £40 on the shelf)

GAME are getting pissy because they don't like breaking out of their set pricing structure- UK gamers aren't retarded. They'll just go to HMV, Tesco, Amazon.co.uk or their local equivalent and buy it.
GAME have a 60% monopoly but they won't be able to bully people with a high profile game on a newly launched system.

Irrespective of any arguments regarding whether it matters. Ubisoft need to explain why they are not budging- a breakdown of their overheads (translation, voice actors, licensing, manafacturing, logistics) would be nice.

that breaks down when you have 'standard' milestone RRPs. eg £39.99, £44.99 and £49.99 for PS3/360 games. If Ubisoft are pricing wholesale such that GAME can't meet at least £49.99 with what they consider a 'reasonable' margin, then its understandable they don't stock it.

Perhaps its also a move to head off any further attempts at increasing wholesale pricing by publishers?

I do find it odd when Sony are pricing for a £39.99 retail price. PS2 prices are generally £29.99 and have been for some time, so publishers are still getting increased revenue from £39.99 games as they'll likely remain strong at that price point for some years yet. But some still seem keen on pushing even further to £50 which is sad.

nofilter said:
It's crazy. It's the first decent Ubisoft port, yet they still won't sell any*.

*via GAME.
Ubisoft did not do the port of the game bethesda did. Ubisoft only published the game in Europe. In the US 2k published the game. it is bethesda game. I hope The elder scrolls IV Oblivion sell ok for the PS3 in ERU. It would be sad if one of the best game this gen didn;t sell that will in Europe

I remember long ago I was after a BBA for my cube and the guy in GAME said they refused to stock it form some reason I forgot, in the end I just brought pso for xbox.

Mmmkay

speculawyer said:
"spit out dummies" . . . can you please translate that to American English?
Had a tantrum, hissy fit, being a baby. 'Spit the Dummy' is an Australian idiom, which nolifter kinda cocked up. ;)

Top Bottom