• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

nofi
Banned for kicks
(04-27-2007, 03:21 PM)
This is speculation, apparently, but 'quite likely'.

Lock if old, etc.

Basically, GAME aren't prepared to pay Ubisoft what they're asking for PS3 Oblivion, so GAME won't be selling it (in-store and online). Basically, they can't make enough money on it, despite being 50.

I checked today, this indeed does appear to be the case. Gameplay are doing the same thing (not sure if the two companies are related, sorry).

Glad I imported it now.
DSN2K
(04-27-2007, 03:23 PM)
thats wierd.
nofi
Banned for kicks
(04-27-2007, 03:24 PM)
I wonder what the wholesale price actually is. I know a GAME manager - hold on.

Edit - he knows they're not selling it, but not why...
tahrikmili
(04-27-2007, 03:44 PM)
The 360 version is 18 quids on sendit.com - which idiot would buy the PS3 version anyway? :lol
Ranger X
Kohler: 1, Ranger X: 0

PS: Itoi > Kojima by a good green country mile
(04-27-2007, 03:45 PM)

Originally Posted by tahrikmili

The 360 version is 18 quids on sendit.com - which idiot would buy the PS3 version anyway? :lol

Someone without a 360?
nofi
Banned for kicks
(04-27-2007, 03:46 PM)

Folk without a 360?

Perhaps that's GAME's way of thinking too, though.
Majik
(04-27-2007, 03:47 PM)
Are GAME selling Fight Night?
nofi
Banned for kicks
(04-27-2007, 03:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Majik

Are GAME selling Fight Night?

Yup.
CAPCOWNED
Banned
(04-27-2007, 03:50 PM)

Take a look at 360 hw sales. There's a lot of people out there that doesn't have a 360, believe it or not. Even less people have a Oblivion friendly PC.

Nice calling PS3 owners idiots. I'm sure the mods will like that one.
TheJollyCorner
(04-27-2007, 03:51 PM)

Majik
(04-27-2007, 03:53 PM)

Originally Posted by nofilter

Yup.

Then i don't see the problem. I would have thought prospective Oblivion sales would outweigh prospective Fight Night sales.
Setanta
(04-27-2007, 03:57 PM)
GAME do indeed own Gameplay, they bought them over 2-3 years ago.
nofi
Banned for kicks
(04-27-2007, 03:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Majik

Then i don't see the problem. I would have thought prospective Oblivion sales would outweigh prospective Fight Night sales.

Sure, but EA are probably selling Fight Night to GAME cheaper than Ubisoft are selling Oblivion to GAME.
spwolf
If this poster agrees with you, you're probably doing something very wrong.
(04-27-2007, 04:02 PM)
No wonder Amazon.co.uk had PS3 Oblivion as #2 best selling video games part, and Amazon.de had it at #8 place when I checked... Selling well so it seems.
Majik
(04-27-2007, 04:04 PM)

Sure, but EA are probably selling Fight Night to GAME cheaper than Ubisoft are selling Oblivion to GAME.

Ignore me, i don't know what i was thinking.
DefectiveReject
Banned
(04-27-2007, 04:20 PM)
Take ANY PS3 game to blockbuster and pay 9.99 and get Oblivion!
Aeon712
(04-27-2007, 04:23 PM)
Ubi strikes again, this time ruining a good port.
TurtleSnatcher
(04-27-2007, 04:24 PM)

I wonder what the wholesale price actually is. I know a GAME manager - hold on.

Edit - he knows they're not selling it, but not why...

Managers dont know jack.. everyone knows that!
Burai
shitonmychest57
(04-27-2007, 04:26 PM)
It's probably a volume issue.

A lot of stores have been firesaling 360 Oblivion over here (I got a copy for 12 online!) I'm not surprised they don't want to get lumbered with another version of a game they can't sell past the first couple of months of release. If they are being forced to take a lot of pieces of PS3 Oblivion you can understand why they might not be too keen on stocking it.
Ranger X
Kohler: 1, Ranger X: 0

PS: Itoi > Kojima by a good green country mile
(04-27-2007, 04:29 PM)
I'd bet it's the retail industry slowly becoming more and more pissed at not making money with games and consoles. They are ****ing cry babies seriously. This "not enough money" argument (that is getting more ala mode each day) can be applied anywhere in any industry about whatever the **** we want. They should just shut up. Start a clothing store or music store if you don't make enough money selling games.
Kittonwy
Banned
(04-27-2007, 04:38 PM)

I bought the PS3 version because I have a PS3. I also got Fight Night and Godfather for the PS3.
jjasper
(04-27-2007, 04:41 PM)
:lol Not even a good PS3 port is safe from Ubisoft.
nofi
Banned for kicks
(04-27-2007, 04:48 PM)

Originally Posted by jjasper

:lol Not even a good PS3 port is safe from Ubisoft.

It's crazy. It's the first decent Ubisoft port, yet they still won't sell any*.

*via GAME.
jjasper
(04-27-2007, 04:51 PM)

*via GAME.

Ubisoft isn't the reason it is a good port though, that was all Bethesda's doing
SolidSnakex
(04-27-2007, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by jjasper

Ubisoft isn't the reason it is a good port though, that was all Bethesda's doing

Maybe UBI should tell them that they didn't port it and GAME would be more willing to pay the money.
MisterTHQ
THQ Member
(04-27-2007, 05:02 PM)
Looks like more than speculation now...

According to their site they're not expecting to receive any more stock (and it's 'out of stock' right now) due to 'supply issues'.

That could get quite political.
nofi
Banned for kicks
(04-27-2007, 05:03 PM)

Originally Posted by MisterTHQ

Looks like more than speculation now...

According to their site they're not expecting to receive any more stock (and it's 'out of stock' right now) due to 'supply issues'.

That could get quite political.

Watch it be the number 1 selling PS3 game in the UK... :D
Steroyd
(04-27-2007, 05:15 PM)
The same GAME that sells Tetris Evolution for the Xbox 360 exclusively.

Idiots.

I didn't even notice no Oblivion in GAME shops guess I'll have to double take.
Bowen_B
Banned
(04-27-2007, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by CAPCOWNED

Take a look at 360 hw sales. There's a lot of people out there that doesn't have a 360, believe it or not. Even less people have a Oblivion friendly PC.

Shut up Junior.
Visualante
(04-27-2007, 05:24 PM)
GAME's competitiors (the other 40% of the games retail sector) simply take the product, and mark it up until they get a satisfactory profit margin.

Virgin have several Wii games at 45 because third party publishers were not offering the 18 that a copy of Zelda earns. (22 from Nintendo, 40 on the shelf)

GAME are getting pissy because they don't like breaking out of their set pricing structure- UK gamers aren't retarded. They'll just go to HMV, Tesco, Amazon.co.uk or their local equivalent and buy it.
GAME have a 60% monopoly but they won't be able to bully people with a high profile game on a newly launched system.

Irrespective of any arguments regarding whether it matters. Ubisoft need to explain why they are not budging- a breakdown of their overheads (translation, voice actors, licensing, manafacturing, logistics) would be nice.
mabuza
Banned
(04-27-2007, 05:31 PM)

its number 2 on amazon uk.
Vitet
(04-27-2007, 05:36 PM)
Strange.

Oblivion PS3 is selling in GAME Spain:
http://www.game.es/ficha/ficha.asp?s...ti=a4sa14as43s
sprocket
Banned
(04-27-2007, 05:50 PM)
Stealth troll to downplay the only superior port the ps3 has?
Majik
(04-27-2007, 05:57 PM)
Called GAME at the Trafford Centre in Manchester and was told that they didn't have it in, didn't have it down for coming in and didn't know whether they would be getting it at all.
Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(04-27-2007, 06:00 PM)
Is this story even official yet? Seems that without the reason, there isn't much meat to it.
bengraven
(04-27-2007, 06:12 PM)
Is this a Euro thing? Because I thought 2K was publishing Oblivion...
davepoobond
you can't put a price on sparks
(04-27-2007, 06:33 PM)

Originally Posted by bengraven

Is this a Euro thing? Because I thought 2K was publishing Oblivion...

not the PS3 version. Bethesda published the PS3 version in North America, and got Ubisoft to do it in Europe.
InterMoniker
(04-27-2007, 06:47 PM)

Tahrikmili it might surprise you that not everyone has "Jumped In." 9-10 million 360 owners is a lot, but the PSP has 20 million users already put that in your M$ pipe and smoke it.

Originally Posted by CAPCOWNED

Originally Posted by Bowen_B

Shut up Junior.

Why don't you shut up, this junior CAPCOWNED has better points than your one liners...

Originally Posted by Kittonwy

I bought the PS3 version because I have a PS3. I also got Fight Night and Godfather for the PS3.

I guess I'm an idiot too

Originally Posted by sprocket

Stealth troll to downplay the only superior port the ps3 has?

Ubisoft uber conspiracy Af00t o_0

j/k
Forsete
(04-27-2007, 06:51 PM)
Ubisoft? What do they have to do with Oblivion?

My imported version of PS3 Oblivion does not have the Ubi logo on it.
The Jer
(04-27-2007, 06:54 PM)

which idiot would buy the PS3 version anyway? :lol

Someone who is unfortunately unable to run the PC version.
Aeon712
(04-27-2007, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Forsete

Ubisoft? What do they have to do with Oblivion?

My imported version of PS3 Oblivion does not have the Ubi logo on it.

Ubi is the publisher for Europe only, your imported version is prob from NA.
Forsete
(04-27-2007, 06:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Aeon712

Ubi is the publisher for Europe only, your imported version is prob from NA.

Nice knowing none of money went to Ubi then. :)
Mmmkay
(04-27-2007, 07:01 PM)
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=162989

They're officially putting it down to 'distribution problems'... This isn't the first time that GAME has inexplicably not had stock of a game for release and blamed it on 'distribution problems,' just probably the first high profile one. I've all but given up on them as a retailer.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(04-27-2007, 08:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Visualante

GAME's competitiors (the other 40% of the games retail sector) simply take the product, and mark it up until they get a satisfactory profit margin.

Virgin have several Wii games at 45 because third party publishers were not offering the 18 that a copy of Zelda earns. (22 from Nintendo, 40 on the shelf)

GAME are getting pissy because they don't like breaking out of their set pricing structure- UK gamers aren't retarded. They'll just go to HMV, Tesco, Amazon.co.uk or their local equivalent and buy it.
GAME have a 60% monopoly but they won't be able to bully people with a high profile game on a newly launched system.

Irrespective of any arguments regarding whether it matters. Ubisoft need to explain why they are not budging- a breakdown of their overheads (translation, voice actors, licensing, manafacturing, logistics) would be nice.

that breaks down when you have 'standard' milestone RRPs. eg 39.99, 44.99 and 49.99 for PS3/360 games. If Ubisoft are pricing wholesale such that GAME can't meet at least 49.99 with what they consider a 'reasonable' margin, then its understandable they don't stock it.

Perhaps its also a move to head off any further attempts at increasing wholesale pricing by publishers?

I do find it odd when Sony are pricing for a 39.99 retail price. PS2 prices are generally 29.99 and have been for some time, so publishers are still getting increased revenue from 39.99 games as they'll likely remain strong at that price point for some years yet. But some still seem keen on pushing even further to 50 which is sad.
Buffy4ever
Banned
(04-27-2007, 08:38 PM)

*via GAME.

Ubisoft did not do the port of the game bethesda did. Ubisoft only published the game in Europe. In the US 2k published the game. it is bethesda game. I hope The elder scrolls IV Oblivion sell ok for the PS3 in ERU. It would be sad if one of the best game this gen didn;t sell that will in Europe
Diablohead
(04-27-2007, 08:45 PM)
I remember long ago I was after a BBA for my cube and the guy in GAME said they refused to stock it form some reason I forgot, in the end I just brought pso for xbox.
speculawyer
Banned
(04-27-2007, 08:49 PM)
"spit out dummies" . . . can you please translate that to American English?
Mmmkay
(04-27-2007, 08:56 PM)

Originally Posted by speculawyer

Had a tantrum, hissy fit, being a baby. 'Spit the Dummy' is an Australian idiom, which nolifter kinda cocked up. ;)
Dr Zhivago
(04-27-2007, 09:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Mmmkay

'Spit the Dummy' is an Australian idiom, which nolifter kinda cocked up. ;)

Nope, it's a perfectly good UK English expression. 'Dummy' = 'Pacifier' in this context.
NekoFever
(04-27-2007, 09:06 PM)

Originally Posted by speculawyer

Monoglots...

Dummy: