• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Twisted Metal PS3?

This is the game I am waiting for, no word on this?

I know Warhawk is going DL but the idea of Twisted Metal PS3 online is enough for me to go nuts.

Madman

I have heard from somehwere (GAF, of course) that there is some Twisted Metal being developed and it was also said that it was an MMO.

I don't know if that is true, but they better be making a new Twisted Metal.

theBishop

Banned
calling-all-cars-20070307105703546.jpg

there was a rumor long ago that suggested the next Twisted Metal game will be multiplayer only. Lots of players would duke it out online and this was before we knew anything about PS3....

Who knows? Maybe Incognito is working on it and might announce after they finish Warhawk?

Decado

I'd love a TMB2...but only if it had a great single player game. I don't like how Sony is focusing more and more on online play.

VALIS

Indeed. If there was a game that could spark my minimal interest in the PS3, a new Twisted Metal would be it!

Multiplayer only would suck large, though. Please don't do that.

I thought the series was overrated. I had more fun with Vigilante 8 than I did with any TM game and strangely enough my favorite TM game was made by 989 Studios. That one had really good multiplayer

Madman

Doom_Bringer said:
I thought the series was overrated. I had more fun with Vigilante 8 than I did with any TM game and strangely enough my favorite TM game was made by 989 Studios. That one had really good multiplayer
...you're kidding right?

warthog said:
ah, good old Twisted Metal. I do hope we get it for the PS3.

It's one of Sony's biggest series and Incog's biggest series so eventually its going to be made. They'll likely get Warhawk out before anythings mentioned about TM though.

tokkun

I think Warhawk is your answer right there. Although Twisted Metal 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, after playing the Battlefield series it would be hard to go back to a vehicular combat game that only featured land-based vehicles.

tokkun said:
I think Warhawk is your answer right there. Although Twisted Metal 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, after playing the Battlefield series it would be hard to go back to a vehicular combat game that only featured land-based vehicles.

How about a create a vehicle mode? Build your own Vehicle and battle online.

Oh Baby!

Vigilante 8 games were terrible, I think the only reason it even got mildly popular was because it came out when TM was going downhill because of the shift to 989.

Madman said:
You've played them all right? Especially Black?

yeah I have Black, I don't like the controls in that one. I just loved the crap out of Vigilante 8! I mean the schoolbus was totally bad ass! So memorable

and speaking of vigilante 8, I threw out my old video game magazine stash :( Oh the memories! WTF was I thinking? >_<

g00525oquho.jpg

tokkun said:

yeah I think the genre is dead. These days people want to get out of their cars and explorer the environments and so on. TM was made with restrictive hardware specs in mind. If it were released today it won't sell.

I also think Warhawk is the answer. The game is highly customizable and you can get into aircraft only or vehicle only matches

Madman

Doom_Bringer said:
yeah I have Black, I don't like the controls in that one. I just loved the crap out of Vigilante 8! I mean the schoolbus was totally bad ass! So memorable

and speaking of vigilante 8, I threw out my old video game magazine stash :( Oh the memories! WTF was I thinking? >_<
I just don't see it. I played the Vigilante 8 demo and it couldn't match TM. Especially 2. I just don't see how the series was overated. TM:B is one of my favorite games of all time. The whole atmosphere, intro, music, level design, end movies, it's just so complete. I really don't see where Vigilante accelled and TM lagged.

antiloop

I didn't like Black at all... I love TM 1 and 2 though.

A new one for PS3 has been rumored. I doubt it will be an MMO only though, but who knows.

Madman said:
I just don't see it. I played the Vigilante 8 demo and it couldn't match TM. Especially 2. I just don't see how the series was overated. TM:B is one of my favorite games of all time. The whole atmosphere, intro, music, level design, end movies, it's just so complete. I really don't see where Vigilante accelled and TM lagged.

I was late to the Playstation party. I think I got my PSX in Summer 1998 so I missed the TM games that were releases before that date. But I remember having a good time with friends and playing Twisted Metal 4? It was made by 989 Studios and had good multiplayer.

I just loved the Vigilante 8 demo you are talking about. The one where you fight in the oil refinery. You could blow up anything and it was sooo much fun! I probably played it like 60 times XD

I hope that they make the new one kind of campy like Twisted Metal 2 and not OMG WE'RE SO EDGY like Twisted Metal Black. Black had excellent gameplay in a lot of ways, though TM2 edges it out for level design, but the twisted serial killer shtick got old pretty fast - it wasn't scary or disturbing and felt like they were trying too hard.

Madman

Doom_Bringer said:
yeah I think the genre is dead. These days people want to get out of their cars and explorer the environments and so on. TM was made with restrictive hardware specs in mind. If it were released today it won't sell.

I also think Warhawk is the answer. The game is highly customizable and you can get into aircraft only or vehicle only matches
Warhawk, while an awesome game, is not Twisted Metal.

I think there are plenty of people that would buy a new one. Games that are linear in fashion aren't dead just because games like Battlefield, Warhawk, GTA, are around. People still play linear shooters where vehicles are scarce at best (see Gears of War).

I think that if done right, it would sell. Plus, I really don't care what other people think about it. There needs to be a new TM, at least to resolve the story of the last one.

Madman

Doom_Bringer said:
I was late to the Playstation party. I think I got my PSX in Summer 1998 so I missed the TM games that were releases before that date. But I remember having a good time with friends and playing Twisted Metal 4? It was made by 989 Studios and had good multiplayer.

I just loved the Vigilante 8 demo you are talking about. The one where you fight in the oil refinery. You could blow up anything and it was sooo much fun! I probably played it like 60 times XD
I was on board when TM 2 came out. The first PS1 game I played was TM 1. Then a friend got a PS1 when TM 2 came out, and I was hooked. No wonder you aren't sure of the series. It's well known that 3 and 4 were crap (I still played them).

Vigilante could have been better than I remember, but I played TM 2 before I played Vigilante, so it just didn't stack up. It was different from Black. Black was, well, Black. TM 2 was more cartoony but it was definately dark. I would go on, but I could go on all day about that game. The Paris level defined the game for me.

Maggot9

Banned
Anyone who says there isnt a market for a next gen TM game needs their head examined..

How can you say that?

Madman said:
Warhawk, while an awesome game, is not Twisted Metal.

I think there are plenty of people that would buy a new one. Games that are linear in fashion aren't dead just because games like Battlefield, Warhawk, GTA, are around. People still play linear shooters where vehicles are scarce at best (see Gears of War).

I think that if done right, it would sell. Plus, I really don't care what other people think about it. There needs to be a new TM, at least to resolve the story of the last one.

All car combat games since then have bombed. Look at Full Auto sales, that Ubisoft car shooter, bloodwake...

the genre is dead.

Danne-Danger said:
Damn straight! I did like TM:Black though, but not as much.

Rogue Trip was also awesome.

g0029306ex0.jpg

saw previews of it but never got around playing it :(

it had good graphics though (at least in mag shots)

tokkun

Maggot9 said:
Anyone who says there isnt a market for a next gen TM game needs their head examined..

How can you say that?

What I'm saying is that vehicular combat, in the style of Twisted Metal, is last-gen. The addition of air and foot units just adds so much more depth and variety to the gameplay. While they could make another good game with the Twisted Metal license, I think that the traditional gameplay of Twisted Metal/Vigilante 8/Rogue Trip has been superceded by that of games like Warhawk.

Madman

Doom_Bringer said:
All car combat games since then have bombed. Look at Full Auto sales, that Ubisoft car shooter, bloodwake...

the genre is dead.
Crap games bomb. The genre is populated with crap look alikes that try to match TM, but TM is still above the heap. Just because there are a bunch of crap GTA clones, does that mean that GTA itself is crap and going to bomb as well? Same circumstances...

tokkun said:
What I'm saying is that vehicular combat, in the style of Twisted Metal, is last-gen. The addition of air and foot units just adds so much more depth and variety to the gameplay. While they could make another good game with the Twisted Metal license, I think that the traditional gameplay of Twisted Metal/Vigilante 8/Rogue Trip has been superceded by that of games like Warhawk.
hammer.jpg

A Twisted Metal PSN game could make some $$$ though.

Madman

tokkun said:
**** that. That would be like saying that games like Gears would never be successful because the gameplay elements are last gen. I hope those against TM have played 2 and Black. If you haven't played both, you don't belong in this thread.

Maggot9

Banned
tokkun said:

It would sell based on nostalgia alone. People remember and love twisted metal.
A total next gen revision for the series could do wonders for it. Are you saying it wouldn't be fun because you'd be in a car the whole time? Imagine the devastation, the effects from the weapons, the environments and how huge they'd be, the detail in the car models, destructible environments..
its the same with almost every other shooter that comes out. it just a plain, simple, corridor shooter, yet people buy them. it doesnt have to reinvent the genre or anything.
just give me a next gen TM game and I'm golden.

Madman said:
**** that. That would be like saying that games like Gears would never be successful because the gameplay elements are last gen. I hope those against TM have played 2 and Black. If you haven't played both, you don't belong in this thread.

You are a madman indeed. Why are you comparing a third person shooter with a car combat game?

Madman

Doom_Bringer said:
You are a madman indeed. Why are you comparing a third person shooter with a car combat game?
My point is this. Just because a game was built around last gen elements doesn't mean it can't be fun. Going by the theory that since other games have air combat and ground combat means that a ground combat game couldn't be done right is wrong. Sure, crap clones can raise doubts about any genre and their worthiness for the next gen (I was convinced GTA was going to look like crap and have a lame character before the trialer) but I am convinced that TM is very well suited for the generation. It's hard to convince you of this since you haven;t played the series and are obviously not a fan, but the game could use the next gen upgrade and it is well deserving of one.

Doom_Bringer said:

No wonder, you missed TM2 which was one of the all time PS games. 3 and 4 were crap. TMB was awesome, the new controls were sooo good once you got use to them. When my friend and I play I usually can whip around him and kill him before he even knows where I am due to the 2 stick steering.

tokkun said:

Take the size of TM2's level size and make everything in them entirely destructable, and whenever they're blown up or fall over they remain on the ground until the match is over. It'll add a new layer of strategy and add something new to the genre without having to change what the game is about.

kenta

Has no PEINS
tokkun said:
Oh snap you just gave me a freaking epic vision of the next-gen Twisted Metal, what if the core TM gameplay was still intact (sorry but Warhawk isn't TM), but contained air vehicles in the form of helicopters and UFO-like ships. There wouldn't be planes since you have to constantly be moving in a plane (which isn't TM), there would only be things that could hover in place. Heck, make the hover-mode Warhawk a secret unlockable vehicle, that would be freaking awesome.

But thinking of the classic TM gameplay except vertical really makes me perk up

Top Bottom