• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

Jim

PlayStation 3 Firmware 1.80 announced

PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling!!!!

Updated with official SCEA PR

LATEST PLAYSTATION 3 FIRMWARE UPDATE ADDS UPSCALING FOR PLAYSTATION/PLAYSTATION 2 GAMES AND DVD MOVIES

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) System via Wireless Internet and Access to Media Content via DLNA Technology Also Enabled

FOSTER CITY, Calif., May 23, 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that the next regular system software update for the PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system (version 1.80) will be available on Thursday, May 24, and will add upscaling of PlayStation/PlayStation 2 games and DVD movies up to 1080p resolution. Now, in addition to displaying native high-definition (HD) content in the highest possible quality (1080p), PS3 system can turn standard definition content into a vibrant HD-quality experience.

The latest firmware update also gives PS3 owners more flexibility to enjoy their digital entertainment content where they want to. The Remote Play feature for using a PSP (PlayStation Portable) system to access photos, videos, and music on a PS3 system’s hard drive will be available from outside of a user’s own home via any accessible Wi-Fi Internet connection, upon the next PSP firmware update. Additionally, PS3 can now play back media content stored on a personal computer or digital video recorder with Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) capability over a home network.

“As adoption of HDTVs continues to surge, we know that consumers are hungry for content, and this latest firmware update leverages the PS3’s technology to deliver an HD-quality experience using the entertainment media already in your collection,” said Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing, SCEA. “In addition, we continue to enhance the PS3’s capabilities as an entertainment hub, giving consumers the option to bring their content with them on-the-go, or to stream photos, videos, and music stored on their PC to the PS3 in their living room. That’s often where the largest TV monitor and sound system is located, giving consumers the best possible entertainment experience.”

Upscaling Games and Movies
SCEA is enhancing the PS3 user experience by enabling PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games to be upscaled to HD resolution, up to 1080p. Classic games as well as recently released titles can now be enjoyed like never before. And PS3 system now has the capability to upscale DVD videos to HD quality (up to 1080p), a feature typically limited to top-of-the-line DVD players. Upscaling games requires an HDMI or component AV cable, while upscaling DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) requires an HDMI cable and HDMI compatible TV set.

Media Content on the Move
Since November, PS3 owners have been able to stream photos, videos, and music stored on their PS3’s hard drive to a nearby PSP system. Consumers will soon have the freedom to access this media content wherever and whenever their PSP is connected to a wireless Internet access point. To take advantage of this feature, users will have to update their PSP system’s firmware to the next version, 3.50, slated for release next week. Once both systems are updated, consumers can enjoy their entertainment content wherever and whenever wireless Internet access is available, including the 7,000 T-Mobile HotSpot locations across the United States.

Other Feature Upgrades

Copying Saved Data to a Memory Card – Users can now copy saved data from PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format software stored on their PS3 system to a Memory Card or Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2), using their PS3 system and a Memory Card Adaptor.

Photo Printing, Viewing, and Editing – The photo capabilities of PS3 system have been enhanced, allowing users to print digital photos stored on a PS3’s hard drive or inserted storage media. Currently, select Epson printers connected via USB are compatible. In addition, users will find a new type of slideshow for displaying photos, zoom functionality and the option to crop images.
Upscaling for games via component is official. As is upscaling is to 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

Wicked

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The day I decide to sell my shit, they announce this. Damn.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

seanoff

ummmm

IN OTHER NEWS

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

:D

Clouseau

Does this mean we are moving to software emulation of ps2 games like Europe has with a gimped compatability list? I hope they found a way to upscale using the EE.

Orobi

Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

Flek

Banned
HOLY ****ING SHIT

24th "2nd sony day" > Warhwak Beta, awesome firmware update....FTW love you sony!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Awesome news!

It was only a week or so ago I was questioning the viability of PS/PS2 upscaling.

And DLNA support..yay! :)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
WHAT WHAT WHAT

*unzips pants*

WHAT WHAT WHAT!

Awesome news!

what.jpg

dose

****ing wha....

I wanna play Divx/Xvid stuff from my PC. Now. Can't the 360 do it with some real-time converting thing?
And what's DNLA3?

Flo_Evans

can I get a **** YES?!

DLNA3
DLNA3
DLNA3
DLNA3

woot.gif

edit: I wonder if 720p blu-ray output is in this update for all you people with crappy TVs? :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
*golfclap*

ps1 & ps2 upscaling? ...very nice sony. very nice. :)

dvd upscaling... kinda expected, but glad its finally coming.

hot shit.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The remote play via Internet has to mean they've added a wake on LAN ability now, right?

Amazing what they're cramming into a .1 version hike.

jjasper said:
So will I be able to play my DVDs/ps1/Ps2 in 720p or is this 1080i/p or bust?
Yeah, my question is along the same lines, will we need to use HDMI or can we use component to scale the PS1/PS2 games to 720p?(I suspect HDMI will be needed to scale DVDs although who knows).

tanod

when is my burrito
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
So, PS1 and 2 "upscaling" -- what does it mean?

Will games actually render in 1080p, or will their 480i image just be deinterlaced and blown up in software (which would be teh lame), and, if so, will that introduce an input lag?

robot

Does this mean I can finally play music from shared drives on my network? The big words are confusing me.

Raistlin

Wait ... this is for real 0_o

HOLY ****ING SHIT!!!!

:lol I was up all night looking at media extenders, because I had given up hope for PS3 (I'm in a hotel on business ... I was bored).

Why in the hell didn't they announce this at gamers day?

teepo

YUES YES

BETTER THEN ANY UPCONVERTING NEWS

**** YESYEYSYYESYESYESYESYEYS

Finally!!!

The PS3 can now cement itself as my primary Movie-playing device of choice. I think I'll go pick up that Bluetooth remote now. Got to use the $30 of POTC gift cards I got from CC for something.

Ryu1999

Aokage said:

Will games actually render in 1080p, or will their 480i image just be deinterlaced and blown up in software (which would be teh lame), and, if so, will that introduce an input lag?

Hopefully it something similar to those PCSX2 up-ressed emu shots we've been seeing

tanod

when is my burrito
So does DLNA3 mean that I can get media off of my computer through my router or is that a home server thing?

Comparison shots of games and movies as soon as the update goes up, please????

Wollan

PC to PS3 media streaming and over the internet Remote PSP functionality is pretty omgbbq as well. Get it in the thread title!

MercuryLS

Banned
Now if they'd only release a VGA cable so I could take advantage of this :(

You made me a broke mofo with the PS3's pricetag, help a brother out :/

Aokage said:

Probably the latter, though I'm sure they are working on 1080p native rendering in the emulation software (but that'll only come after they get 99% compatibility i'm sure).

Top Bottom