• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ram
(06-21-2007, 05:01 PM)
german press release.

SEGA und BioWare kooperieren für ein neues Sonic-Rollenspiel für Nintendo DS

London & San Francisco, 21. Juni 2007: SEGA® Europe Ltd., SEGA® of America Inc. und das kanadische Entwicklerstudio BioWare® Corp. kündigen gemeinsam die Entwicklung eines neuen Videospiels auf Basis der SEGA-Spiele-Ikone Sonic The Hedgehog an. Der genaue Name des Spiels steht noch nicht fest, doch der Titel wird exklusiv für Nintendo DS entwickelt und 2008 erhältlich sein.

"BioWare ist einer der heißesten Rollenspiel-Entwickler weltweit", so Simon Jeffery, Präsident und COO, SEGA of America, Inc. "Jeder bei SEGA ist überzeugt, dass Sonic hier in den besten Händen ist, und dass BioWare das ultimative Handheld-Erlebnis für Spieler aller Alterstufen gelingt."

BioWare ist ein preisgekrönter unabhängiger Entwickler, der für internationale Bestseller wie die Reihen Baldurs Gate™ und Neverwinter Nights™, das Spiel des Jahres 2003 Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ sowie das Rollenspiel des Jahres 2005 Jade Empire™ bekannt ist. BioWare entwickelt derzeit mit Mass Effect™ einen der am sehnlichsten erwarteten Next-Generation-Titel 2007.

"Wir sind hocherfreut über die Zusammenarbeit mit SEGA an Sonic, einer der beständigsten und überzeugendsten Spielfiguren", so Greg Zeschuk, Präsident von BioWare. "Da wir selbst Riesenfans von Sonic sind, sind wir entschlossen, ein wirklich faszinierendes Erlebnis mit fesselnder Handlung im Sonic-Universum zu erschaffen, indem wir uns auf die Anziehungskraft des Charakters konzentrieren und ihn in ein absolut originelles Abenteuer versetzen", so Ray Muzyka, Chief Executive Officer von BioWare.

Die Partnerschaft mit BioWare unterstreicht SEGAs verstärkte Ausrichtung auf die Entwicklung speziell für das westliche Publikum produzierter Spielinhalte. In den vergangenen Jahren schloss SEGA bereits Partnerschaften mit den Entwicklern Bizarre Creations, Gas Powered Games, Monolith Productions, Obsidian Entertainment, Planet Moon Studios, Pseudo Interactive und Silicon Knights – und erwarb zudem die Entwicklungsstudios The Creative Assembly, Secret Level und Sports Interactive.
Viddie
So many places to look.
but nothing?
E-phonk
zie germans!
Gattsu25
Formerly Wakune
(06-21-2007, 05:02 PM)
Bioware portable RPG??

Yes please

Here's hoping they don't cash out and actually put some effort into the game...their 2D RPGs = RAWK
krypt0nian
Dragona's Dogma
(06-21-2007, 05:03 PM)
Something something...Spear of Destiny..Something something...resurrect the fatherland...Something something..sausage...Something something...Bioware....Something something...
Viddie
English please.. Still no source?
Tailzo
"(...) Sonic is in the best hands (...)" or something was about the only part that I understood.
Creamium
shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
(06-21-2007, 05:04 PM)
there's no info in that release :( Only that it's coming in 2008
Tetsujin
(06-21-2007, 05:04 PM)
English press release -

SEGA AND BIOWARE COLLABORATE ON NEW SONIC ROLE PLAYING GAME FOR THE NINTENDO DS

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (Thurs 21st June 2007) -- SEGA® Europe, Ltd., SEGA® of America, Inc. and Canada-based developer studio BioWare® Corp. today announced a partnership to create a new video game based on the classic SEGA flagship icon, Sonic The Hedgehog. The exact name of the game is undetermined, but this new title developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS will ship in 2008.

“BioWare is one of the hottest names in RPG development in the world,” said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages.”

BioWare is the award-winning independent developer that has created some of the world's best-selling titles including the Baldur's Gate™ and Neverwinter Nights™ series, the 2003 Game of the Year, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ and the 2005 RPG of the Year, Jade Empire.™ BioWare is currently developing one of the most anticipated next-generation titles of 2007, Mass Effect.™

“We’re thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry’s most enduring and compelling icons,” said Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. “As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we’re committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character’s broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure,” added Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare.

The relationship with BioWare reinforces SEGA’s increased emphasis on Western content development for Western audiences. In the past few years SEGA has announced partnerships with developers Bizarre Creations, Gas Powered Games, Monolith Productions, Obsidian Entertainment, Planet Moon Studios, Pseudo Interactive and Silicon Knights. SEGA has also acquired development studios The Creative Assembly, Secret Level and Sports Interactive.
Worm_Buffet
(06-21-2007, 05:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Tailzo

"(...) Sonic is in the best hands (...)" or something was about the only part that I understood.

So they're admitting it's not in the best hands when Sega's the developer.

How grand of them.
JCX
(06-21-2007, 05:05 PM)
I said wow
JohnTinker
Limbaugh Parrot
(06-21-2007, 05:06 PM)
Alright so can we get some media as well, besides a logo?
Grecco
(06-21-2007, 05:06 PM)
+1 Sale here.
TekunoRobby
Junior Tag of Excellence
(06-21-2007, 05:07 PM)
Huahuahuahuahua I can't wait for more info on this game. I'm morbidly curious!

ram
(06-21-2007, 05:07 PM)

Originally Posted by JohnTinker

no media yet :(
Vaporak
(06-21-2007, 05:09 PM)
Man, I love Bioware; I have a DS, but this is just so weird. :lol
For hilarities sake i hope this is true.
GreenNight
(06-21-2007, 05:10 PM)
It is true - just got a pr from sega in my email.
Kurosaki Ichigo
(06-21-2007, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by JohnTinker

Are you sure we are getting a logo? :lol

Man, this is like Contra 4, weird announcement although interesting but without media = who the hell knows how this will end up...
Prime crotch
(06-21-2007, 05:11 PM)
YES! You da man Ram!
Vashu
(06-21-2007, 05:12 PM)
I did not say 'wow', I did not say anything. But somewhere, deep in the darkest depths of my dark mind, I could swear I heard someone utter the word 'Excellent!'

Looking forward to this. :D
Michan
(06-21-2007, 05:13 PM)

500 - Internal Server Error

Oh no.
Segata Sanshiro
(06-21-2007, 05:14 PM)
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeEEE

I'm THE PROM KIIIIING
dionysus
Yaldog
Anyone know if Bioware formed a new team for their handheld division, or poached from their main teams? I have no interest in a Sonic RPG for DS, but Bioware is probably my favorite developer for PC and consoles and I don't want to see resources shifted away from that.
omg rite
Banned

Originally Posted by GreenNight

It is true - just got a pr from sega in my email.

Well thankfully GreenNight got an email, so NOW we know it's true. :P
TreIII
(06-21-2007, 05:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Vashu

I did not say 'wow', I did not say anything. But somewhere, deep in the darkest depths of my dark mind, I could swear I heard someone utter the word 'Excellent!'

Looking forward to this. :D

:lol :lol :lol

Pretty much the same thing for me, except it was more like some one laughing sadistically as my mind imploded a bit...

These strange things in the industry have just been blowing my mind, ever since the DQIX announcement.

...is it too late to blame all of this stuff on Superman Prime, now? :lol :lol
probune
I'm a Sonic fanboy and I'm not excited about this at all.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME SEGA. I USED TO LIKE SONIC :(
Sho Nuff
PIN-BOT CIRCUITS ACTIVATED
That is some bug**** crazy shit, I can't even start to imagine just WTF kind of game this is gonna be (though I will wanna play it for sure)

Oh god I bet the furries are all schpoonking
Drakken
(06-21-2007, 05:16 PM)
OK, so it's not official that this is an RPG (although it's probably safe to assume it is one).
ant1532
A hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is.
(06-21-2007, 05:16 PM)
Bioware and Sonic??? What :lol?
JohnTinker
Limbaugh Parrot
(06-21-2007, 05:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Sho Nuff

Oh god I bet the furries are all schpoonking

Supposedly its called Yiffing.
FoneBone

Originally Posted by Drakken

OK, so it's not official that this is an RPG (although it's probably safe to assume it is one).

Nice reading skills.

“Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages.”

Creamium
shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Now this is an awesome announcement. If only E3 was filled to the brim with this.
Magicpaint

Originally Posted by Drakken

Viddie
(06-21-2007, 05:18 PM)
eh no source = no sale.
TekunoRobby
Junior Tag of Excellence
(06-21-2007, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by probune

I'm a Sonic fanboy and I'm not excited about this at all.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME SEGA. I USED TO LIKE SONIC :(

What are you smoking, Sonic is finally in the hands of a competent developer. Considering the last few releases things can only go up from here on out.
Vashu
(06-21-2007, 05:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Viddie

eh no source = no sale.

What part of press-release is hard to understand?
GreenNight
(06-21-2007, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by omg rite

Well thankfully GreenNight got an email, so NOW we know it's true. :P

Considering its from our Sega PR contact, I assume it is true.
zurra
i think my head just exploded... DS press releases have been doing that way too much!

this could be... interesting... i guess
Viddie

The fact it isn't up on Sega.com and we've seen PR's fabricated on here quite often.
Sho_Nuff82

Originally Posted by Tetsujin

The relationship with BioWare reinforces SEGA’s increased emphasis on Western content development for Western audiences. In the past few years SEGA has announced partnerships with developers Bizarre Creations, Gas Powered Games, Monolith Productions, Obsidian Entertainment, Planet Moon Studios, Pseudo Interactive and Silicon Knights. SEGA has also acquired development studios The Creative Assembly, Secret Level and Sports Interactive.

So it looks like Sega is bailing out on the land of the rising sun.

I for one blame Virtua Fighter 5.
Tempy
don't ask me for codes
(06-21-2007, 05:21 PM)
BioWare? Good.
RPG? Awesome!
DS? Great!
BioWare RPG on the DS? Fantastic!

Sonic BioWare RPG on the DS? What :(
Keyser Soze

DO YOU NOT REMEMBER TRIOLOGY

Also the "The exact name of the game is undetermined, but this new title developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS will ship in 2008" line does not sound like a line that belongs in a PR.
Nexus Zero
I love Sonic, I love BioWare, and I love RPGs. We'll see.
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
I am still expecting the source to be the fevered dreams of a madman.
probune
(06-21-2007, 05:22 PM)

Originally Posted by TekunoRobby

What are you smoking, Sonic is finally in the hands of a competent developer. Considering the last few releases things can only go up from here on out.

Yeah I suppose I should be excited because Bioware is actually good but I suppose I'm so jaded about the franchise that I can't imagine a good game with Sonic coming out anymore.

I'm definitely going to buy it. If this is in fact real and not fabricated.
MCD
(06-21-2007, 05:22 PM)
Shining Force? Phantasy star?

EDIT: oh wait...Sonic...
trejo
(06-21-2007, 05:23 PM)

Originally Posted by GreenNight

The only thing better would be a Gran Turismo SRPG.

Oh man, I would buy Gran Turismo Tactics in a heartbeat.
dionysus
Yaldog
(06-21-2007, 05:23 PM)
Sonic love triangle confirmed with furry Jedi knight with a tendency to be rash which could lead her to the darkside and orphaned childhood friend furry who whines alot.