• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasarts about Wii lightsaber:"There’ll be some stuff out this Fall"

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14500

As part of the final Hollywood & Games Summit panel in Los Angeles, LucasArts' Jim Ward has been discussing the oft-raised question of a lightsaber game for Nintendo's Wii, saying that the company has internal prototypes running using the Wiimote.

In response to a question from session moderator N'Gai Croal of Newsweek asking: "What would it take to make a lightsaber game for the Wii?", Ward, who is President of LucasArts and a Senior VP at Lucasfilm, commented:

"We’re all over that, and internally we have already played a lightsaber game on the Wii. It’s a lot of fun, and we’ll get there."

He added that the whole concept of a title using a lightsaber of Nintendo Wii was "...in place! There’ll be some stuff out this Fall - it’s going to be a lot of fun."

It's unclear whether Ward could have been referring to the TT Games-developed Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, which will debut later this year on multiple formats including the Wii, or whether the company is planning further, as yet unannounced Wii-specific Star Wars games.

(The product page for The Complete Saga notes of the Wii SKU: "Motion-sensitive inputs give you exciting new ways to control your Lego Star Wars characters.")

The publisher is likely to reveal more information on its upcoming titles at the E3 Media Summit in Los Angeles early next month - Gamasutra will have the full write-up from the Jim Ward (LucasArts) and Neil Young (Electronic Arts) panel at Hollywood and Games in the near future.

----------------

E3 can't come soon enough. I bet it's nothing more than Lego Star Wars but let the speculations begin.

laserbeam

Banned
pretty sure awhile back lucasarts confirmed they had an additional unnannounced project for the wii in development aside from the lego game.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If they just figure out a way to make pong with swords it should be pretty easy. Then put it online. Make billions.

mellowbob

doesn't sound like they're putting much effort into it, nothing like the force unleached anyways -_- sounds like a port (with lightsaber controls) or a lightsaber minigame...

Grecco

mellowbob said:
doesn't sound like they're putting much effort into it, nothing like the force unleached anyways -_- sounds like a port (with lightsaber controls) or a lightsaber minigame...

Yes Thats Exactly What it sounds like

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mellowbob said:

I think I missed that part of the interview. Please demonstrate to GAF how you came to that conclusion.

ZOMG JEDI KNIGHT IV REVEALED FOR WII

Please for the love of god come out with a new one, I'll buy it for ANYTHING

But yeah, E3 better have some shit about this.

This would be more exciting if Lucasarts was only publishing the game and not making it themselves. They can find great talent to publish but cant seem to hire any for their own studios.

a good lightsaber game would be awesome, but im skeptical lucas arts will put any effort into making a good game.

then again, why else make an exclusive Wii game?

mellowbob

PantherLotus said:
I think I missed that part of the interview. Please demonstrate to GAF how you came to that conclusion.

Well i'm probably off, but it sounds like they're worrying too much about focusing on the lightsaber that they're ignoring the actual game

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
mellowbob said:
Well i'm probably off, but it sounds like they're worrying too much about focusing on the lightsaber that they're ignoring the actual game

How the **** can you gather any of this from the article posted?

mellowbob said:
Would'nt that a good thing because the game would be, you know, about the lightsabers? Assuming they are making a Wii game other than Lego Star Wars, of course.

dyls

"We’re all over that, and internally we have already played a lightsaber game on the Wii. It’s a lot of fun, and we’ll get there."

Great. That helps me exactly not at all.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
"we have internally played a lightsaber game on wii. it was a mod or something. hal barwood found it at the flea market."

JDSN

Banned
mellowbob said:

So focusing on a gameplay mechanic is now a bad thing?

mellowbob

sp0rsk said:
How the **** can you gather any of this from the article posted?

I really don't know, but to me the idea that you have a lightsaber prototype working, and then you say "we'll get there" about "some stuff" out in the fall sounds like you haven't put too much emphasis on the game itself or are just planning to add that prototype to a port and call it a day.

mellowbob said:
I really don't know, but to me the idea that you have a lightsaber prototype working, and then you say "we'll get there" about "some stuff" out in the fall sounds like you haven't put too much emphasis on the game itself or are just planning to add that prototype to a port and call it a day.

Many games start as a concept, prototyped... and are turned into a game.

Did you know that's how the recent Zelda games are made? They start with a gameplay idea (wolf form) and flesh out everything around it.

In Junior's defense ever since I imagined a waggle-enabled lightsaber game the first thing that came to mind was visuals of a cash-in game along the lines of Masters of Teras Kasi game *shivers* Even if the game were to be a crappy cash-in it would sell like crazy just based on waggle effect.

I do hope my gut feeling is wrong.

I thought Force Unleashed was confirmed for Wii (via leaked Gamestop release list)? Isn't that the obvious answer?

Unless they're talking about something like Jedi Knight IV, I wouldn't get too excited.

laserbeam

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I thought Force Unleashed was confirmed for Wii (via leaked Gamestop release list)? Isn't that the obvious answer?

Unless they're talking about something like Jedi Knight IV, I wouldn't get too excited.

There have been release lists from a few places that listed a Force Unleashed Wii version. and lucasarts has never denied it either. Its hard to say whats going on. I just recall them saying they had an unannounced wii game in development.

Could be star wars or it could be indiana jones.

So a game with good lightsaber controls is bad now? I mean, if they're playing it and it's fun, and they have time to polish, who the hell cares? I'd love to geek out to some lightsaber duels with my friends.

Bildi

mellowbob said:
I agree with mellowbob. Based on past experience with Lucasarts and how developers are handling the Wii it's quite possible they will ass this up in some way. The nonchalant attitude of the guy doesn't exactly instill confidence either.

They might have the lightsaber mechanics down but will wrap it all up in some half-assed game. Or they'll have a great game and mechanics no more complex than Zelda. Of course, it might also turn out great, but I don't see the point in belittling mellowbob for expressing his opinion.

Every time I think of a lightsaber game on Wii, I think of that NeoGeo arcade game where you have a sword, it was in first person kind of, and you slash and deflect shit. What was that game?

allarise

Humphrey Bogart said:
a good lightsaber game would be awesome, but im skeptical lucas arts will put any effort into making a good game.

then again, why else make an exclusive Wii game?

Because it's outselling PS3 and 360 combined?

Tristam

God I hope that they actually do something awesome with this idea. I really, really want to deflect blaster shots with my Wiimote. :D

It would be cool if they made a new Jedi Knight game for the Wii, the controller could lend itself well both to the gunplay and lightsaber fighting, but I'm not holding my breath. It may turn out to be a waggle enabled port of Lego Star Wars 1 and 2.

pitt_norton

STARWARSGYRATION.JPG

Tristam

What's even better is that the shitty Wii Remote speaker lends itself perfectly to the crackly sounds of the lightsabers.

MaddenNFL64

Anyone remember when LucasArts was asked this same question months ago? They said it was unlikely.

I wonder what changed their minds...?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
All Wii owners will be StarWars Kids pretty soon. I just imagine people looking over thier shoulder to make sure no one is lookin then goin buckwild with the wii mote in that game.

dallas

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Every time I think of a lightsaber game on Wii, I think of that NeoGeo arcade game where you have a sword, it was in first person kind of, and you slash and deflect shit. What was that game?
Crossed_Swords_video_game_box.jpg

badass

Tristam

haunts said:
All Wii owners will be StarWars Kids pretty soon. I just imagine people looking over thier shoulder to make sure no one is lookin then goin buckwild with the wii mote in that game.

I'm not an insecure twat, so I'll be going buckwild onlookers or no onlookers.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
MaddenNFL64 said:
Anyone remember when LucasArts was asked this same question months ago? They said it was unlikely.

I wonder what changed their minds...?

The Wii install base maybe?

Mudhoney

I hope I'm underestimating the Wii Remote's capabilities. From the games we've seen so far the closest thing I have seen to 1:1 object waving motions is the bat in Wii Sports baseball. Hopefully it's just a matter of developers getting new tools and understanding, and Lucas Arts really is all over the dream of lightsaber Wii controls.

Nintaiyo

I really hope this isn't just Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga with waggle which is going to be released this November.

Top Bottom