• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Goldrusher
Member
(07-12-2007, 01:32 PM)
Goldrusher's Avatar
[IMG]http://i18.************/66kab1l.jpg[/IMG]

That + Kaz Hirai Riiiidge Racer + Home stuff + Kojima + Killzone screen logo intro thing = Win!
Captain Glanton
Banned
(07-12-2007, 01:36 PM)

Originally Posted by RaijinFY

I think people are paying too much attention to conferences. I didnt watch a single one, just waited the media to appear.

This is the right answer. I got everything I need from E3--demonstrations of good progress on some games I want and some [hopefully solid] release dates.
CrunchinJelly
formerly cjelly
(07-12-2007, 01:36 PM)
CrunchinJelly's Avatar
The conferences are shit, we can all agree on that.

But the fact is that the footage of the majority of the games we are seeing will be in our paws in just a few months time is something that previous E3's could only dream of.

E3 megatons normally involve games that won't be out until NEXT Winter, so in this respect, I like this years E3.
Lord Error
Insane For Sony
(07-12-2007, 01:39 PM)
Since I don't care about how execs "act" on conferences, but only about games shown, I think I'm the polar opposite of agreeing with OT.

There was some really great stuff shown, what completely new, what new trailers of games I knew about.
KevinRo
Member
(07-12-2007, 01:40 PM)
KevinRo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yoboman

Sony was great. Disaster if you're a Nintendo fan though.

Wow it feels like the end of the world now!

I'm totally heartbroken that Microsoft and Nintendo obviously didn't show any great games!

/sarcasm

please die.
Triumph
Banned
(07-12-2007, 01:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Alcibiades

Big time disaster...

the audiences at the press conferences were way too dead... instead of cheering Reggie's announcements like in the past or laughing at jokes, it was almost complete silence... the audience was more responsive to the Wii Fit segment... also, Iwata gave a powerful speech and still no reaction... what the audience needed was an above-sign like in talk shows so they would know when to react...

The lack of announcements from Microsoft and Nintendo for 2008 and beyond is probably because they don't feel threatened by Sony right now, so there is little need (strategically) to give away info. while a competitor is watching... Sony had greater reason to as they had something to prove, but even then, they've probably saved better stuff for their own events and TGS...

overall, yes the show sucks, and will hopefully be cancelled next year... I'd rather have nothing than this (although a return to what it used to be would be awesome)... sorta like CES (which many journalists, retailers, & companies hate), the media frenzy and grandeur of the event is quite symbolic for the industry, and is important despite the craziness...

Iwata gave a POWERFUL speech? When he said "just because we're recycling all of our old ips while forcing gimmickry into them, not exploring new ones and focusing on how to better serve our audience that don't like games doesn't mean we're abandoning our hardcore audience"... that was POWERFUL?

You're such a sad person, efralope.
sprsk
force push the doodoo rock
(07-12-2007, 01:41 PM)
sprsk's Avatar
Having it so late killed all the surprises I think.
spwolf
If this poster agrees with you, you're probably doing something very wrong.
(07-12-2007, 01:44 PM)

Originally Posted by soundwave05

Sony had to show the most because they're the most under the gun.

Back when Sony was dominant, their E3 shows were clinical and dull as hell with lots of charts/graphs and a pretty strict focus on games coming out for that immediate holiday season. No big megaton announcements.


Sony has shown the most, because they have, by far, the biggest first party lineup in the history of mankind.

Downplaying that is really fun to see.
Salazar
Member
(07-12-2007, 01:47 PM)
Salazar's Avatar
By the looks of things, Darksiders is going to totally f*cking rock. There's something. Too Human made it through E3 alive, even if it pretty much kept its head down. There's something else. Even the Gamecock stuff might be alright in a way - those flayed apes still look cool to me, and gryphons are good.


Disaster = cricket world cup. Run down the shops for some perspective.
ToyMachine228
Member
(07-12-2007, 01:49 PM)
ToyMachine228's Avatar
I think it'll basically come down to E3 being the place for western developers to show off, and Tokyo Game Show the place for eastern developers. Sad but true.
Bartman3010
Banned
(07-12-2007, 01:55 PM)

Originally Posted by sp0rsk

Having it so late killed all the surprises I think.


Especially so bad for Sony since half of the titles they touted were also shown on Microsoft's conference. Plus Moore got out the fact that a good majority of them are running on Xbox 360 hardware, plus developers shipping their PS3 versions out later.

Chewbacca coming up on stage to promote a PSP with Vader stickered onto the back of it, no really. Thats not showing a lead in the industry. Thats like a taste of what in-game ads would be like.

Dont get me wrong, it was a cute deal for their presentation, but the way some of you people are complaining about these other companies showing nothing is just ridiculous.

Nintendo has three plastic perhiperals coming, bundled with a game. The Zapper for $20, Mario Kart and Wii Fit more than likely at regular price.
Sony has a re-designed PSP that looks exactly the same, only lighter and longer battery life, oh, and we put Vader on the back of one of these. No second analog stick or whatever ridiculous expectations you people had.
Dapperk
Member
(07-12-2007, 01:58 PM)
Dapperk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alcibiades

Big time disaster...

the audiences at the press conferences were way too dead... instead of cheering Reggie's announcements like in the past or laughing at jokes, it was almost complete silence... the audience was more responsive to the Wii Fit segment... also, Iwata gave a powerful speech and still no reaction... what the audience needed was an above-sign like in talk shows so they would know when to react...

The lack of announcements from Microsoft and Nintendo for 2008 and beyond is probably because they don't feel threatened by Sony right now, so there is little need (strategically) to give away info. while a competitor is watching... Sony had greater reason to as they had something to prove, but even then, they've probably saved better stuff for their own events and TGS...

overall, yes the show sucks, and will hopefully be cancelled next year... I'd rather have nothing than this (although a return to what it used to be would be awesome)... sorta like CES (which many journalists, retailers, & companies hate), the media frenzy and grandeur of the event is quite symbolic for the industry, and is important despite the craziness...

maybe they should have flashed cheer signs like on game shows every time Reggie said something. Then again it might have had something to do with the zombies from RE:UC having more life than him.
DemDereNads
Member
(07-12-2007, 02:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Bartman3010

Especially so bad for Sony since half of the titles they touted were also shown on Microsoft's conference. Plus Moore got out the fact that a good majority of them are running on Xbox 360 hardware, plus developers shipping their PS3 versions out later.

Chewbacca coming up on stage to promote a PSP with Vader stickered onto the back of it, no really. Thats not showing a lead in the industry. Thats like a taste of what in-game ads would be like.

Dont get me wrong, it was a cute deal for their presentation, but the way some of you people are complaining about these other companies showing nothing is just ridiculous.

Nintendo has three plastic perhiperals coming, bundled with a game. The Zapper for $20, Mario Kart and Wii Fit more than likely at regular price.
Sony has a re-designed PSP that looks exactly the same, only lighter and longer battery life, oh, and we put Vader on the back of one of these. No second analog stick or whatever ridiculous expectations you people had.

Denial is so ugly =(

And in-game ads? Not like the PSP had a Cheez-it on the outside... A collectors edition star wars PSP that comes bundled with a PSP exclusive star wars game? Ya, that's exactly what in game advertising is... :lol
BenjaminBirdie
(07-12-2007, 02:01 PM)
BenjaminBirdie's Avatar
Someone hasn't seen the Mass Effect demo, I guess....best e3 ever.
AdrianWerner
Banned
(07-12-2007, 02:03 PM)
AdrianWerner's Avatar
I'm a PCgamer, so I set up myself for dissapoitment a long time ago(when they showed exhibitors list and hardly anyone was there), instead putting my hopes into Games Convention. With expectations set low I got enough to be satisfied so far: Space Siege and new STALKER. Now all I want is lots of new King's Bounty, Disciples3 and Jagged Alliance 3 media and information.
But yeah...this E3 is very underwhelming, not only because of lack of new games, but it just feels so... empty and boring. The amazing excitement I always had during E3 is gone. Shame :(
JonathanEx
Member
(07-12-2007, 02:04 PM)
JonathanEx's Avatar
I don't think it's the new E3 that sucked, it's what the companies brought to the new E3 that sucked.
Mithos Yggdrasill
Banned
(07-12-2007, 02:05 PM)

Originally Posted by akachan ningen

:lol Exactly!

:lol Best troll ever since Monorojo. Nice job !
Ogni-XR21
Member
(07-12-2007, 02:11 PM)
Ogni-XR21's Avatar
Maybe E3 just went back to what it was before the internet media covered everything. Meaning that they showed the good stuff behind the scenes to exclusive magazines/sites. An event for the gaming industry to gather and show stuff to selected people rather than showing off to the public who the biggest player is.
Mustaphadamus
Member
(07-12-2007, 02:12 PM)
Sony Conference = I enjoyed

Microsoft Conference = not so much

Nintendo Conference = didn't watch.
Pakkidis
Member
(07-12-2007, 02:13 PM)
I think you guys are forgetting that the focus of E3 is different this year than previous years.

The venue is smaller, with less fanboys/media press/journalists to cover the games

This E3 is more about showcasing its games rather than having any big surprises.

Compared to past E3's and what we are normally use to get then yes it is a bit of a disspointment, however this E3 accomplished exactly what it set out to do, showcase games with a much more economical and efficient fasion.
Mojovonio
Banned
(07-12-2007, 02:17 PM)

Originally Posted by sp0rsk

Having it so late killed all the surprises I think.

That and that ALL of the big stuff happened a week to a day before the conference (Killzone, Gears of War PC)
sprocket
Banned
(07-12-2007, 02:20 PM)
I love how E3 sucks now when SONY clearly owned MS and Nintendo.
Bartman3010
Banned
(07-12-2007, 02:20 PM)

Originally Posted by DemDereNads

Denial is so ugly =(

And in-game ads? Not like the PSP had a Cheez-it on the outside... A collectors edition star wars PSP that comes bundled with a PSP exclusive star wars game? Ya, that's exactly what in game advertising is... :lol

What? People are going off about how theres few suprises on stage when the suprise on stage was talking about a PSP with a decal and a game that not many people seem to care about.

Instead of some major Star Wars game for possibly the PS3 its another version of Battlefront and it happens to come with a system with what appears to be Vader 'tatooed' on the back of it.
Haunted
(07-12-2007, 02:25 PM)
Haunted's Avatar

Originally Posted by sp0rsk

Having it so late killed all the surprises I think.

pretty much.

lacklustre conferences from Sony and MS didn't help, and that Nintendo decided to show most new games and announcements (aside from WiiFit and Mario Kart Wii) after their briefing didn't help at all.


Originally Posted by sprocket

I love how E3 sucks now when SONY clearly owned MS and Nintendo.

Please check my post history weeks and weeks in advance of this year's E3, where I said time and time again 'R.I.P. E3 - shame it's dead' etc.

I got caught in the hype machine again just prior to it, but my fears I expressed before came true. :(
DemDereNads
Member
(07-12-2007, 02:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Bartman3010

What? People are going off about how theres few suprises on stage when the suprise on stage was talking about a PSP with a decal and a game that not many people seem to care about.

Instead of some major Star Wars game for possibly the PS3 its another version of Battlefront and it happens to come with a system with what appears to be Vader 'tatooed' on the back of it.

PSP redesign was the only new thing Sony showed? I must have been dreaming or watching a different conference.
ziran
Member
(07-12-2007, 02:33 PM)
So far, this E3 has been amazing! The best in years, and, for me, will probably end up being the best ever!

- Mario Galaxy looks stunning, greatest videogame ever level. The videos and impressions of the game are just jaw dropping.
- Metroid Prime looks amazing.
- Phantom Hourglass looks brilliant and really innovative, and its success suggests truly stunning things for EAD's next Zelda on Wii.
- SBB and MK Wii look like they're going to the best in the series.
- Fire Emblem: SRPG of Awesome, is coming this year.
- There's a new Advance Wars coming to DS, which is an awesome franchise.
- Observation Training is coming this year and has been getting great impressions.
- Layton is being localised and coming this year.
- Forever Blue is being localised and looks great.
- Wii Fit looks brilliant, and confirms Wii is going to be Nintendo's biggest selling home console ever, which means it's going to get more and more amazing games.

...And, to top it all, the reactions to Nintendo's Press Conference have been excellent! :lol E3 has never provided so much fun!
legend166
Member
(07-12-2007, 02:42 PM)
legend166's Avatar
The Nintendo hating meltdowns were all worth it.
Kabuki Waq
Member
(07-12-2007, 02:44 PM)
Kabuki Waq's Avatar
I miss the crowd excitement. There were barely any cheers for anything.
Kittonwy
Banned
(07-12-2007, 02:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Borys


As a Sony gamer, well, I don't usually play FPSes on my consoles so I wasn't WOWZERED by Killzone 2. Also no God of War 3 was a MAJOR bummer. Little Big Planet rules.

Did you honestly expect God of War 3 to show up at the show though? I didn't think they would, given the game is still early in development. I know Tim Moss said in his blog that his team started on the game before they took their vacation but I don't think they're too far into it to have anything they're confident enough to show...
[Nintex]
Banned
(07-12-2007, 03:07 PM)
[Nintex]'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Kabuki Waq

I miss the crowd excitement. There were barely any cheers for anything.

I really like the way Moore, Phil and Reggie did their presentation.
Especially after the trailer of HAZE, just no reaction. HALO 3 no reaction. Wii Zapper crowd went silent. They didn't even need to do the presentation live, it's like their wasn't even an audience.
ElectricBlue187
Banned
(07-12-2007, 03:08 PM)
ElectricBlue187's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mojovonio

I agree.

All 3 conferences were HORRIBLE.

yeah
Setanta
Member
(07-12-2007, 03:12 PM)
Not a disaster. The event has been toned down, with the emphasis on the great games on display, interviews and so forth.
Forget about keynotes, the big 3 arent football teams were biased support is needed.
DarienA
The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
(07-12-2007, 03:19 PM)
DarienA's Avatar
I do not agree with the original poster at all. I saw 3 press conferences, with each company gives it's usual take on what they want to push as their direction, and since then I've been seeing video clips and hand's-on impressions of games.

The things I usually see from E3.
fortified_concept
Banned
(07-12-2007, 03:19 PM)
fortified_concept's Avatar
My hopes were crushed about the Wii but Sony's 1st party gigantic lineup was a great consolation. As a Sony fan I loved it.
fistfight
Banned
(07-12-2007, 03:20 PM)
"Disaster?" God damn you people are overdramatic
Hcoregamer00
The 'H' stands for hentai.
(07-12-2007, 03:21 PM)
Hcoregamer00's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haunted One

Nintendo decided to show most new games and announcements (aside from WiiFit and Mario Kart Wii) after their briefing didn't help at all.

Bingo, I laughed my ass off as I watched people melt down in the Nintendo conference thread.

Only to feel a tinge of sadness as Nintendo announced the bulk of the hardcore games after the conference, with very little fanfare. The funny part is if they did show off these games people would still find a reason to bitch and complain, but at least it wouldn't be about Nongames.
Mithos Yggdrasill
Banned
(07-12-2007, 03:21 PM)

Originally Posted by ziran

So far, this E3 has been amazing! The best in years, and, for me, will probably end up being the best ever!

- Mario Galaxy looks stunning, greatest videogame ever level. The videos and impressions of the game are just jaw dropping.
- Metroid Prime looks amazing.
- Phantom Hourglass looks brilliant and really innovative, and its success suggests truly stunning things for EAD's next Zelda on Wii.
- SBB and MK Wii look like they're going to the best in the series.
- Fire Emblem: SRPG of Awesome, is coming this year.
- There's a new Advance Wars coming to DS, which is an awesome franchise.
- Observation Training is coming this year and has been getting great impressions.
- Layton is being localised and coming this year.
- Forever Blue is being localised and looks great.
- Wii Fit looks brilliant, and confirms Wii is going to be Nintendo's biggest selling home console ever, which means it's going to get more and more amazing games.

...And, to top it all, the reactions to Nintendo's Press Conference have been excellent! :lol E3 has never provided so much fun!

Ok. Calm down. I agree about most of the thigs you say AFTER the conference, but the conference of E3 2006 for Nintendo was one of the best ever.
Simply Nintendo has done a different conference, adressing itself to casual player instead of the hardcore. This last category got TONS of great stuff AFTER the conference.

The rest I agree: Mario is stunning. Metroid looks hot. Smash...is Smash. Mario Kart was a nice news. Maybe I'm disappointed about the DS: no new games from Nintendo (but this doesn't mean that they dropped the ball. Simply they're not pressed !!!).
DeaconKnowledge
Member
(07-12-2007, 03:28 PM)
DeaconKnowledge's Avatar
You guys have ridiculous high (and stupid) standards.

All 3 conferences gave us a wealth of information. Just because fanboys don't get to scream "OMG Megat0n" the conferences were shit?
Setanta
Member
(07-12-2007, 03:32 PM)

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

You guys have ridiculous high (and stupid) standards.

All 3 conferences gave us a wealth of information. Just because fanboys don't get to scream "OMG Megat0n" the conferences were shit?

I agree. So far its what people need to hear. The best of the event comes from the reporting of it from the various sites, magazines etc. Where we can go in depth for the already great games that have been announced.
Dr. Kitty Muffins
Member
(07-12-2007, 03:33 PM)
Dr. Kitty Muffins's Avatar
Winning an E3 this bad doesn't amount to much! So why is everyone still arguing outside of this thread about who won ? LOL
claviertekky
Member
(07-12-2007, 03:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Dr. Kitty Muffins

Winning an E3 this bad doesn't amount to much! So why is everyone still arguing outside of this thread about who won ? LOL

The fanboys aren't hearing what they want everyone to say.
MC Safety
Member
(07-12-2007, 03:48 PM)
MC Safety's Avatar
I am at E3, and will not agree it's a disaster. It's a bit unwieldy, to be sure, but walking around sunny Santa Monica is pretty much okay in my book.

There have been many good games shown here: Little Big Planet, Metal Gear, Silent Hill (although this was just a trailer), Resident Evil (again, a trailer), Echochrome, Rock Band, Patapong, Boogie, Killzone, Call of Duty 4, Killzone, Mass Effect, etc.

I think we're all a little jaded. We all want to see all new stuff all the time. It's not wrong, it's just unrealistic...

I am looking forward to seeing more stuff today.

Also, Queens of the Stone Age played the Rock Band party and they rocked in a most rockisfactory manner.

Have a good day, all.
Dali
(07-12-2007, 03:55 PM)
Dali's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yoboman

Sony was great. Disaster if you're a Nintendo fan though.

Why do people keep saying this? I thought they had everything that Nintendo fans have come to love: Mario, non-games, and new ways to interact with non-games.
VictimOfGrief
Banned
(07-12-2007, 03:56 PM)
E3 in 3 words :
Fanboi's am cry.

/thread
ShOcKwAvE
Member
(07-12-2007, 03:58 PM)
ShOcKwAvE's Avatar
E3 was awesome until it became a sleeze-fest. Hundreds of strippers who didn't even know what games they were "promoting." Some weren't even there to promote anything, just hired for eye-candy. It's simply unprofessional.

It's a wonderful thing that the industry is moving away from that crap and into a more positive, mature demeanor. If it expects to grow, it must promote itself as a legitimate business and not some loud, adolescent-driven party.

If you don't understand that, you have some growing up to do.
f3niks
Member
(07-12-2007, 03:59 PM)
f3niks's Avatar
To me, the only disasterous or despressing thing about this E3 has been thought of how much money I'll be spending in the next year and a half.
Kittonwy
Banned
(07-12-2007, 04:00 PM)

Originally Posted by ShOcKwAvE

E3 was awesome until it became a sleeze-fest. Hundreds of strippers who didn't even know what games they were "promoting." Some weren't even there to promote anything, just hired for eye-candy. It's simply unprofessional.

It's a wonderful thing that the industry is moving away from that crap and into a more positive, mature demeanor. If it expects to grow, it must promote itself as a legitimate business and not some loud, adolescent-driven party.

If you don't understand that, you have some growing up to do.

Tecmo went from having an army of booth girls to just having Leah Dizon.
John Harker
Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
(07-12-2007, 04:01 PM)
John Harker's Avatar
I actually agree.
(This has nothing to do with the fact I'm in my hotel with a hangover b/c of the GS party last night, heh)

The place is just totally souless. The whole area is lifeless, there is no electricity in the air. No one really knows whats going on, everything is all disjointed and disconnected. No huge sense of commradarie like I used to feel, no random throngs of people just sitting around and geeking out. Too many people seemingly feeling the need to 'be on their best behavoir' because this year 'games is serious buisness' or some crap.

Best line I've heard so far was when I was at the Konami press conference and Hideo Kojima simply says...
"I want my E3 back!!"

/thunderous applause
jax (old)
Banned
(07-12-2007, 04:14 PM)
jax (old)'s Avatar
I thought the conferences were all good EXCEPT nintendo.

I don't know if its because of the time difference, but I feel neogaf hasn't been super active over this EEE.

/shrugs
SovanJedi
provides useful feedback
(07-12-2007, 04:16 PM)
SovanJedi's Avatar
I wouldn't say it's a disaster - it's set out to do the same thing it's done in past years but in a more cost effective manner which the outside world can take more seriously than before. We've already had articles outside of the gaming press detailing on Nintendo's Wii Fit and the prospects it holds for the future of gaming. Perhaps after this year I'll be able to open up a newspaper and find articles about gaming that keep their facts right and read as if they were written by credible sources and not just some yob they sat in front of the keyboard to be in charge of the games collumn 1/8th of the page in size, worded like some blah advertising scheme or a high school report.

However as somebody who's watching this at home, it sucks balls and it's boring. :(

Thread Tools