• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
p3-poster.jpg

---------------
Boxart
---------------

51ADLGypT9L._SS500_.jpg

----------------
Release Date
----------------

August 14, 2007

------------------------------
Persona 3 Special Edition
------------------------------

Includes: Game Soundtrack and Artbook

pics - http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showGamePage&Game_ID=611

-------------------------
So what's Persona 3?
-------------------------

Persona 3 is the third entry (4th if you count the two Persona 2 games) in the Persona spin off series of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise. Completely different from the past 4 Persona games, in Persona 3 you play as a nameless high school kid who just got tranfered to Gekkokan High School. here he gets attacked by shadows -- creatures that feed on the minds of their victims -- this assault awakens his long dormant persona Orpheous his only way to battle the Shadows.

He soon learns that in his in fact not the only guy with this ability. he meets others in high school who can also summon Personas, he joins a group called SEES in order to learn more and confront the shadows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
What Makes Persona 3 different from your average jRPG?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Calendar System

Persona 3 is divided by months and each day is divided by day/night/dark hour. At daytimes you go to school, take your exams and join clubs just like a normal school kid would do. nightime you can play games (there is a MMORPG called Devil Buster, but no you cant play it ;p), study, go to dance clubs, go on a date with a chick or you can wait for the dark hour. so what's the dark hour? at midnight time stops and a huge tower called Tartarus rises in the school you attend to.

daytime
01.jpg

nightime
02.jpg

dark hour
03.jpg

Tartarus:

it's huge tower that consist of 256 floors, the floors are randomly generated and the enemies are visible on the field so you can choose to avoid them if you want or head in and attack them to start a battle. it's in this tower where you train your characters and gain new Personae to use in the Velvet Room. you can also split up your party so they can explore the whole floor faster.
04.jpg

Battle System:

Persona 3 features a turn based battle system in which you only control the main character directly, the other party members are controlled by the AI. you can still give orders to the AI but you dont have direct control over their actions. Persona 3 also features the 'One More!!' system, how does this works? if you played SMT3/DDS you know that hitting an enemy weakness is rewarded with an extra turn, One More!! system works similar but you dont lose a turn if you screw up another thing is that if all the enemies in the battle field are in 'Down' status your party can unleash a combination attack for greater damage... to put the enemy in 'down' status you simply hit it with something that the enemy is weak against.
05.jpg

Community System (or Social Link)

depending on how well or how badly you did with an NPC, the commu rank that NPC represents will either go up or down. as your commu ranks start going up you gain access to new Personae to fuse and create. think of it as chatting with demons in the old Persona, this time instead of speaking with demons you speak with and interact with Humans in the game.
06.jpg

Velvet Room:

old time Persona fans know what this place is all about, here you can fuse and create new personas. Igor is back and he has a new assistant called Elizabeth, who will give you various quest and errands to do while you explore Tartaros
07.jpg

08.jpg

----------
Trailers
----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GS8DqFevV0

-------------
Reviews
-------------

RPGamer - 4.5/5
Game Informer - 8.5/10
Play Magazine - 9.5/10 (gotm)
Gamespy - 4.5/5
IGN - 8.3/10
Gamespot - 8.5/10
PSM - 9/10
EGM - 8.5/9.5/9.5 (gotm)
PSM - 9/10 (gotm)
-----------
Notes
----------
1) spoiler tags, use them.
2) zomg Persona 3 finally!
3) free Himuro (credit to him for the banner)
4) enjoy the game
5) credit to Shidoshi for the pics.

----------------------------
old Persona 3 threads
---------------------------
SMT appreciation thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89648&highlight=Persona

Persona 3 pre-release discussion thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134161&highlight=Persona

Shouta's P3+Fes thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118851&highlight=Persona

Official Persona 3 JP thread -
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109703

Solar

Nice explanation and screens; one question: Do you need to know anything about the past storylines/games to enjoy this one?

Error

Solar said:
Nice explanation and screens; one question: Do you need to know anything about the past storylines/games to enjoy this one?
no. you can enjoy P3 even if you havent played the old Persona games.

Avalon

Good job Error! How about linking to all the relevant P3 threads in case someone wants more information?

Cannot wait. Got some Shin Megami gashapons from play asia during the sale. I got Barong, Mary and Lilim. I stare at them and await this game's release!

Clarification: how is the audio being handled? Japanese and US audio on the same disc? I think Shane on 1up was saying it's not fully voiced for the US version and he didn't care for that, but he didn't say whether or not there was jp audio.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Solar said:

Nope. It's not related.

EDIT: Oh yeah, error. Link to the threads and duckroll and I did for the JP release, so people can get some impressions.

MrDaravon

WalkMan said:
Anyone else order the strategy guide?

I'm going to once my credit card payment goes through, hopefully tomorrow. Oddly enough amazon is charging full retail on it ($24.99 apparently), but everywhere else (DJbooks, GS/EB, etc) is only charging $19.99. Kinda sucks for me since I was thinking of placing an amazon order for some other stuff as well, oh well.

Avalon

Sugarman said:
Cannot wait. Got some Shin Megami gashapons from play asia during the sale. I got Barong, Mary and Lilim. I stare at them and await this game's release!

Clarification: how is the audio being handled? Japanese and US audio on the same disc? I think Shane on 1up was saying it's not fully voiced for the US version and he didn't care for that, but he didn't say whether or not there was jp audio.

Only main events are voiced. English audio only.

Error

neonglow said:
Are all copies of the first printing going to be the special edition?
looks like it.

theGreatDave - nothing on a possible european release so far.

zoku88 said:
Are the English VA's decent at least?
They're quality actors based on the game's Wikipedia page. Wendee Lee, Vic Mignogna, Liam O'Brien, Mona Marshall, Karen Strassman etc.

Now whether they were directed well or not remains to be seen... I haven't been especially blown away by the clips I've heard. So I'm not sure we're dealing with a dub on the same level as Xenosaga, Suikoden V, Tales of the Abyss but I'm sure it'll be halfway decent.

Avalon

zoku88 said:
Are the English VA's decent at least?

There are a lot of voice clips floating around...

http://www.atlus.com/persona3/ Has quiet a few for all the major characters.

I think they are pretty damn good. Some are surprisingly fitting like Igors... but I'm turning them off. I dislike VA so I'm very thankful that Atlus included that option. Plus the game makes you manually advance voiced dialogue... I really hate how that sounds... some really unnatural pauses.

dili

TheGreatDave said:
Do we know anything of a European release? The little I've heard has interested me.
Nothing has been said about a european release afaik. Who usualy publishes Atlus's games in europe?

Avalon

Anyone know any specifics on the GI review? Kinda curious about what they had to say...
(I should be getting mine any day now.)

Avalon

dillenger said:
Nothing has been said about a european release afaik. Who usualy publishes Atlus's games in europe?

Ghostlight isn't it? Don't see why they wouldn't publish it... they've done all the other SMT games this generation.

EDIT: Boo, I was trying to edit not double post. ><

dili

Avalon said:
Ghostlight isn't it? Don't see why they wouldn't publish it... they've done all the other SMT games this generation.

EDIT: Boo, I was trying to edit not double post. ><
Yeah, I just wanted to know if the SMT games were all done by one publisher,since they published every other Megaten game in europe,I see no reason why Persona 3 shouldn't either.

I was really looking forward to this game though I don't think I'm going to buy it. All of the RPGs I have bought as of late (Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII, and Etrian Odyssey) I have yet to play more than 10 hours. Maybe I'm just burned out on RPGs. :/ Is there any chance this game could reverse that?

mollipen

I'm still protesting this thread, but... I can get us better quality, non-branded screenshots if you want.

Also... *cough9.5inPlaycough*

Avalon

ninj4junpei said:
I was really looking forward to this game though I don't think I'm going to buy it. All of the RPGs I have bought as of late (Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII, and Etrian Odyssey) I have yet to play more than 10 hours. Maybe I'm just burned out on RPGs. :/ Is there any chance this game could reverse that?

It could. It's certainly a lot more unique then all those you've listed.

EDIT: 9.5 in Play? o_O

dili

Was play the same mag that gave Odin Sphere a 10?

There OS review was wrong in so many ways. They list the game has no flaws wich is definitely not true.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Any confirmed edits to the US release? Kids still shoot themselves in the head to summon persona or whatever?

What was the deal with Fes anyway? Official(or non-official) word as to why it wasn't included?

mollipen

dillenger said:
Was play the same mag that gave Odin Sphere a 10?

There OS review was wrong in so many ways. They list the game has no flaws wich is definitely not true.

Yes, Play was the same magazine that gave Odin Sphere a 10, but no, the person who gave Odin Sphere a 10 did not give Persona 3 a 9.5. The person who gave Persona 3 a 9.5 would be me.

dili

Brandon F said:
Any confirmed edits to the US release? Kids still shoot themselves in the head to summon persona or whatever?

What was the deal with Fes anyway? Official(or non-official) word as to why it wasn't included?
No censoring was made to the US version. The shooting themselves in the head/persona unleash is still in....

No reason given as to why it wasen't included. Probably too much for atlus USA to handle to localize another 30+ hours FES on top of Persona 3 already.

Unison

A few questions...

Is this a roguelike / a story-driven RPG / or a combination of both? The 256 level tower thing makes it sound like the former...

Is that tower the only dungeon in the game?

What is the point of all the school-stuff? Does it boost your battle stats or does it just advance the story?

What was the general impression of this in Japan... I know they released a SE... was the basic edition well received by Japanese GAFers?

UGH, I have been trying to limit my game purchases to trade-in only or rentals from Gamefly, but I have to have this game. I was doing so well at tricking myself into thinking I didn't want it, but this thread has ruined me. Damn you to hell, Error!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Would newcomers find it hard to get into this game because it is the third iteration?

I am asking this as a general question just because I am interested in this game, I just never played the previous games.

Avalon

Brandon F said:

Nothing so far. Headshot summons are in and that was really the only thing that would have gotten some negative attention.

At Anime Expo Atlus gave a "maybe" which quickly changed to a "no" at E3.

Unison=Unison said:
A few questions...

Is this a roguelike / a story-driven RPG / or a combination of both? The 256 level tower thing makes it sound like the former...

Is that tower the only dungeon in the game?

What is the point of all the school-stuff? Does it boost your battle stats or does it just advance the story?

What was the general impression of this in Japan... I know they released a SE... was the basic edition well received by Japanese GAFers?

1. It's a mix of both of those with sim elements taking on a prominent role.

2. It's the main one. There are other locations though...

3. It opens up events, allows you to summon higher level Persona and increases the amount of EXP Persona gain when they are created.

4. It received RPG of the year award from Famitsu I believe. It got a lot of positive impression, though a lot of hardcore Megaten fans were turned of by it (because it's a huge departure).

mollipen

dillenger said:
No reason given as to why it wasen't included. Probably too much for atlus USA to handle to localize another 30+ hours FES on top of Persona 3 already.

Yes, it has been given, multiple times. FES was announced while Atlus was already deep into translation of the original, and it would have delayed the game quite a bit longer to switch that work over to FES.

dili

shidoshi said:
Yes, Play was the same magazine that gave Odin Sphere a 10, but no, the person who gave Odin Sphere a 10 did not give Persona 3 a 9.5. The person who gave Persona 3 a 9.5 would be me.
Oh,alright then. :D

Top Bottom