• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Maybesew

So, what is the effect of a rate hike? Should be good for finance stock right? Bad for the rest?

Good for financials to make more money on floats. Generally bad for the rest of the market since it's considered anti-inflationary. It would be VERY bad for the etf TLT which tracks long term bonds.

Could anyone recommend an online brokerage for day trading?

I use TD Ameritrade because they have the Think or Swim platform which is the best for options and futures, but it works with stock too. It's got a great mobile app too.

Could anyone recommend an online brokerage for day trading?

I think most people on here have said they use Vanguard, Fidelity, or Charles Schwab. I know there are a few apps that have no commission trading so you could look into those too.

I use Charles Schwab and like it enough, but I haven't tried anywhere else so I don't have much to compare against.

Good for financials to make more money on floats. Generally bad for the rest of the market since it's considered anti-inflationary. It would be VERY bad for the etf TLT which tracks long term bonds.
About half my portfolio is finance (banks and insurance companies) at the moment, so seems good to me if it happens in the next months. Hopefully the EU banks will life with the American ones a bit.

vpance

Financials need to carry the load for a while, I think they're due. IOW, rate hike (maybe after elections), then carry trade back in full swing depending on the Japan CB situation. And that'll be how we can get a bullish continuation for the rest of the year with a hike.

Mrbob

Are you guys going into individual bank stocks or financial etfs? I'm looking heavily now at making some bigger financial investments.

Are you guys going into individual bank stocks or financial etfs? I'm looking heavily now at making some bigger financial investments.
Individual stock for me. Biggest part is in ING Group right now, European bank, mostly active in Holland here. Has some good results, nice dividend and I think can gain a bit in the next few months. Picked some more up around the Brexit stuff when it was dropping a lot.

Others are NN Group and Aegon, both insurance.

All European companies though, since I'm trading in Euros also here, but I think they are listed on the NYSE as well.

ChRoNiTe

I use TD Ameritrade because they have the Think or Swim platform which is the best for options and futures, but it works with stock too. It's got a great mobile app too.

I think most people on here have said they use Vanguard, Fidelity, or Charles Schwab. I know there are a few apps that have no commission trading so you could look into those too.

I use Charles Schwab and like it enough, but I haven't tried anywhere else so I don't have much to compare against.

Thanks! I'll check these out.

Maybesew

So this is funny, I played the game stop earnings report last night. Sold a put thinking they would have good earnings again, and obviously they didn't. The stock was set to open down this morning and so i put in my initial closing order at break even hoping to get out without a loss.

A few seconds later i got the notification that I got filled at 25 cents instead of 63. Pretty nice to make a quick profit on what should have been a 1 day losing trade.

Mrbob

I'm thinking about getting into Ulta salon....crushed earnings yet stock down 7%. Sell the news event. Almost looks like a gift but the stock has run hot.

vpance

So this is funny, I played the game stop earnings report last night. Sold a put thinking they would have good earnings again, and obviously they didn't. The stock was set to open down this morning and so i put in my initial closing order at break even hoping to get out without a loss.

A few seconds later i got the notification that I got filled at 25 cents instead of 63. Pretty nice to make a quick profit on what should have been a 1 day losing trade.

Yeah you never know what kind of weird limit orders people might have queued up. Why bullish on GME tho?

So the SCTY buyout price for Tesla is 25.37, yet the stock has dropped down to under 22. Any reason not to buy it now and get a profit when the stock is bought 25.37 in a month or so?

Mrbob

Since the deal is related to Tesla stock I believe you only get a portion depending on the value of the Tesla stock. It's .11*Tesla stock or the like. It was $25.37 at the time when Tesla stock was 230 dollars. So I don't believe you get an equivalent in relation to the $25.37 price. Only an equivalent in relation to the Tesla stock price at the time when the buyout finally occurs, as long as the buyout happens.

I think it all means the Solar City stock price is currently tied to the Tesla stock price.

I bought shares in National Beverage Corp today after their Q1 release statement. La Croix water is fucking everywhere. We got rid of our company vending machines and now just give out free La Croix to all employees. That shit is going places.

Chart for FIZZ is looking interesting right now.

Mrbob

What do you guys think of Facebooks impending stock split? At first I thought about buying some before the split as I feel like more people getting access to Facebook stock will drive the price up. But it's a little weird how they are splitting these into some Class C non voting shares. I understand why it is being done (to let Zuck keep control as he unloads shares to charity) but how will this impact an investor? Not your normal stock split.

Financials beasting through this choppy period. And go USD!

Might not be a bad short term play between now and the Fed meeting in September.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
All I can say about FB is their advertising on Instagram has been very effective recently, I actually clicked a few times as it's showing me stuff I'm actually interested in.

I expect them to keep doing very well.

Mrbob

Don't know the date of the Facebook split just a lot of chatter it might be happening soon. If I had to guess it won't be until September when all the traders are back to work.

NVAX topline results for Phase 3 Elderly RSV should be out any day/week now...probably a binary event.

Yup, terrible time for biotech to be getting crushed too. Stock has been stuck in a downtrend as well.

ColdPizza

Banned
Don't know the date of the Facebook split just a lot of chatter it might be happening soon. If I had to guess it won't be until September when all the traders are back to work.

Yup, terrible time for biotech to be getting crushed too. Stock has been stuck in a downtrend as well.

Yeah, it seems to be tied to the IBB right now and that's making me skiddish holding into results.

Mrbob

I'm keeping some shares in my motif but I've been swing selling it outside of the motif since the stock moves like a penny stock.

Personally I think the results will be good but it doesn't matter what I think. Only what the results are. Still, it's definitely nerve-racking holding any stock through a phase 3 event. Either going to be rich or poor. Those are the only options. Hopefully phase 3 crushes it so its works out for you. I like to see others make money.

My nerves at picking individual stocks is what eventually got me into motif investing. I like being able to create a basket of stocks I think will do well and buy them all at once. Create my own more focused mini mutual fund.

Mrbob

Good MA action after hours in biotech with CYNA bought at a nice premium. Hopefully this reinvigorates the biotech market.

Had their phase 3 fast tracked like NVAX. Not even complete and bought out.

vpance

What happened with TSLA? Earnings released?

Entire solar sector is in a strong downtrend since last year. 2015 run up was such a damn fake out.

Maybesew

This bond reversal this morning is insane, down a full point this morning, now rallied back to up on the day.

edit: Put on a couple LULU earnings plays. A wide ass strangle and a downside back ratio spread. Stock is down about 6 bucks after hours, so if it stays there at the open they should both be winners.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What happened with TSLA? Earnings released?

Entire solar sector is in a strong downtrend since last year. 2015 run up was such a damn fake out.

Some story about having undervalued SCTY, meaning they would be expected to pay more for the buyout, and another about Musk having spoken to SCTY about the merger without telling investors. Plus Space X blowing up somehow also can affect both, more TSLA than SCTY.

Solars are shorted a lot.

Mrbob

Good lord, I need a hit like this.
The upside to NVAX is huge with successful phase 3. Downside as well but companies are typically successful 73% of the time in phase 3. Basically 27% chance of failure but that failure will be major pain.

Puts and shorting interest are increasing in NVAX but this could just be big money hedging. Successful phase 3 could lead to an epic squeeze. Then I think buyout happens sometime after. Big pharma is going to want that rsv vaccine. My inclination is normally to sell after successful phase 3 but I believe dominos start falling for something better so I'll hold.

If the jobs report brings down the market tomorrow I'm going to pick up some more shares for the phase 3 roll of the dice.

ColdPizza

Banned
The upside to NVAX is huge with successful phase 3. Downside as well but companies are typically successful 73% of the time in phase 3. Basically 27% chance of failure but that failure will be major pain.

Puts and shorting interest are increasing in NVAX but this could just be big money hedging. Successful phase 3 could lead to an epic squeeze. Then I think buyout happens sometime after. Big pharma is going to want that rsv vaccine. My inclination is normally to sell after successful phase 3 but I believe dominos start falling for something better so I'll hold.

If the jobs report brings down the market tomorrow I'm going to pick up some more shares for the phase 3 roll of the dice.

The stock might not move at all until a partnership is announced or revenues start rolling in. I think we won't see exponential returns until a bunch of other stuff unfolds, even after a successful phase 3. So I may be holding for a long time, but I would sell a decent portion of it if we get a significant move on p3 results.

vpance

Some story about having undervalued SCTY, meaning they would be expected to pay more for the buyout, and another about Musk having spoken to SCTY about the merger without telling investors. Plus Space X blowing up somehow also can affect both, more TSLA than SCTY.

Solars are shorted a lot.

When it rains it pours I guess. Bad day overall for Musk. Saw that Zuckerberg was pissed because his satellite was on there too.

The knife catcher in me feels TSLA right at this level with a tight stop could be worth a shot.

Maybesew

When it rains it pours I guess. Bad day overall for Musk. Saw that Zuckerberg was pissed because his satellite was on there too.

The knife catcher in me feels TSLA right at this level with a tight stop could be worth a shot.

Keep in mind if fed raises rates TSLA may take a hit since they are still raising so much cash

Mrbob

Yeah Tesla starting to look interesting here but I'll wait. Broke downside support see if it can get back above. Otherwise falls further.

Also i think biotech is now in pain mode until after election. Too much politics taking swipes.

vpance

Keep in mind if fed raises rates TSLA may take a hit since they are still raising so much cash

Could very well be. I just see some nice looking potential inverse H&S patterns developing. Anyways, better to wait for a rebound if any to confirm.

Mrbob

Could very well be. I just see some nice looking potential inverse H&S patterns developing. Anyways, better to wait for a rebound if any to confirm.

Stock is way oversold right now, I'm looking at a bounce play too. I think it could go down to 190 though before moving back up.

I still don't understand how the stock stays so high. Musk decides to buy Solar City (shareholders holding the bag on that right now too thanks to Tesla dropping) and then announces they are going to have to raise more cash. How much more can people buy into the story when this company is burning cash like crazy.

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on EE and I bonds?

My parents want to get some for my son, but they're having a hard time deciding which.

Personally I like the EE because it's guaranteed 3.5% over 20 years(even though if you cash it in sooner its trash 0.10%). My dad is convinced the I is better because the economy will eventually pick up, but I can't picture the interest rate getting so high and staying high enough to average out to what the EE will get over 20 years.

Thoughts?

Also, do any of you have experience saving for your child's education/future? I was thinking of opening a college account, but if he doesn't go I don't want that money locked up. I was also just thinking of adding extra bonds for him so he can hopefully have a nice chunk of change down the road.

Usobuko

Banned
Still holding on to my Alibaba, was waiting to dump them 2 weeks before 11/11.

The past 2 weeks have been extremely kind to me.

Mrbob

Vpance you look at the uso oil wtf? Looking like it is breaking out from descending triangle starting to look interested.

Also if you are looking at a 20 year horizon for a school fund why not just go into a market index fund? Likely to average 6% a year. Have that money get more bond heavy closer you need it.

vpance

I see the triangle. Uso breaking 11 would look interesting.

Nintendo's been quietly rebounding, and managed to stop bleeding at $24 like I thought. Still can't really trust the long term outlook on this yet.

Edit: NTDOY just jumped $2 during this Apple conference, lol. Guess it was from that Mario game.

RMI

Banned
Still holding on to my Alibaba, was waiting to dump them 2 weeks before 11/11.

The past 2 weeks have been extremely kind to me.

yes I almost hit my stop on them but then they got a nice bump so pretty happy with the stock now.

Very disappointed with Disney though. Actually close to my wits end with that stock.

Usobuko

Banned
yes I almost hit my stop on them but then they got a nice bump so pretty happy with the stock now.

Very disappointed with Disney though. Actually close to my wits end with that stock.

Monopoly aside, the main reason I buy Alibaba is because they, along with Tencent and Baidu, rule the tech startup scene in China. Your chinese uber, food delivery etc. That is simply crazy, imo.

A nice bonus is Ant financial is also going to get ipo soon in future.

I bought a substantial amount of NVAX thanks to you. Doing well so far.

Solar City I sold off some at $24, but I really should have sold all of it. It is hurting my portfolio badly.

Mrbob

Seeking Alpha article gave NVAX big bump today.

Looking at buying more but it is sitting in the middle of my range. Want to see it bounce off of 7.60 or go above 8.10. Might be more blood on the streets on Monday because the Fed Chairman who made comments to tank the market today is speaking.

Downside is if results get announced Monday morning I'll miss out on more shares but I'll take that chance.

Top Bottom