• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware updated to 3.0U (Clock on dash, minor channel changes)

psy18

thefro said:
And the biggest fix is one most haven't even noticed... put your ear up to the console when you power it off
The fan is now running in WiiConnect24 mode, so no more overheating issues

good.

Sagitario

People need to understand this... the problems are not caused by WiiConnect but rather by faulty hardware/GPUs... WC only make the symptoms of the problem appear faster...

Lobster said:
You reckon some of you guys could give a report after having Wiiconnect24 on for a whole day? It would be much appreciated...only if you feel like it though.

You should worry about getting the "dots" sooner than later because of the warranty...

thefro said:
Yeah, the transition time when going back to the main menu is definitely significantly faster. Probably speeds up starting up games too.

The blue light on the front also lights up when you put in a disc/take it out.
Blue light also flashes when starting Weather and Everybody Votes channels.

Wow... I was starting to get annoyed with NOE releases and was considering getting the Wiikey installed myself. The only reason I never was because I'm currently experiencing the green sparkles GPU error and I need to send the system off... I'm glad I never installed it now.

I hope future updates are at least this good.

Lobster said:
You reckon some of you guys could give a report after having Wiiconnect24 on for a whole day? It would be much appreciated...only if you feel like it though.
I've had Wii Connect on since November and have had no problems.

thefro said:
And the biggest fix is one most haven't even noticed... put your ear up to the console when you power it off

I might try it out, I hope it isnt too loud.

Hero

4u478df.gif

What is this?

Scrubking

thefro said:

I guess this confirms that the failures were because of a heat issue. Glad Nintendo finally decided to address it. I still have no need for 'standby mode' though.

Mudhoney

Linkzg said:
I might try it out, I hope it isnt too loud.
It hardly makes any noise. It's practically a passive cooling fan.

Scrubking said:
I guess this confirms that the failures were because of a heat issue. Glad Nintendo finally decided to address it. I still have no need for 'standby mode' though.
It certainly raises the suspicion level. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to run the fan simply because so many people complained about how hot the thing got on stand-by. Wether the hardware could handle the heat or not, it certainly was a worry for almost all Wii owners at some point I'm sure.

Sagitario

Scrubking said:

OMG... do people read?

The failures are happening because some GPUs are faulty to begin with... and those faults are not caused by the heat, but the heat does make the problems appear faster...

People have had WC on for months without problems, while others don't have it on and the failure still appears...

The fan will sure slow down the breaking of the GPUs, but still... if you have a Wii with a bad GPU, there's no fan in the world that is going to fix it...

thefro

Farore said:
OMG... do people read?

The failures are happening because some GPUs are faulty to begin with... and those faults are not caused by the heat, but the heat does make the problems appear faster...

A few GPUs are faulty and are overly prone to cumulative heat damage.

Removing the main source of overheating and cumulative damage will ensure that nearly all of the GPUs out there never show symptoms.

Scrubking

Farore said:
OMG... do people read?

People have had WC on for months without problems, while others don't have it on and the failure still appears...

The fan will sure slow down the breaking of the GPUs, but still... if you have a Wii with a bad GPU, there's no fan in the world that is going to fix it...

Yes, because Nintendo admitted to all this and told us exactly why Wii's are breaking.

What? They didn't? That's what I thought.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I'm not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but the Today's Accomplishments message now lists people to whom you've sent messages too. Nice touch.

Jokeropia

Scrubking said:
Yes, because Nintendo admitted to all this and told us exactly why Wii's are breaking.

What? They didn't? That's what I thought.
Uh, yes they did. If you were unlucky enough to have one of the faulty GPUs you could sent it to Nintendo for a free repair.

Jiguryo said:
I'm not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but the Today's Accomplishments message now lists people to whom you've sent messages too. Nice touch.

Any idea whether the “Today’s Accomplishments” now lists all games correctly? Previously it seemed to be unable to identify certain ‘Cube or Wii games, or presented them differently (so “resident evil 4”, instead of “Resident Evil 4” or “KORORINPA” instead of “Kororinpa”). Just a little niggle, but something that would be nice to see fixed (though I suppose it could be caused by whatever ID tags on the disc the system reads to generate the accomplishment, in which case it may be insoluble)

Mithos

zallaaa said:
mine is still motionless like a stone... maybe there was another update and I missed it? (EU version)

Same for me but i'm having a US-Wii 3.0U and it's fan is also not moving in standbymode at all.

Scrubking

Jokeropia said:
Uh, yes they did. If you were unlucky enough to have one of the faulty GPUs you could sent it to Nintendo for a free repair.

Nintendo has not officially stated why Wii's are breaking. The word of some phone rep means nothing.

Anyway, I just double checked my Wii and the fan is definitely NOT turning on with 'standby' mode.

Jokeropia

Scrubking said:
Nintendo has not officially stated why Wii's are breaking. The word of some phone rep means nothing.
So the well-known fact that it's the GPU is all a big conspiracy to hide the real problem? What would be the point of that, might I ask?

Images of the update for those sitting in work today:

System showing it is now updated to 3.0
wu1.jpg

The 'illegal modification' warning is for future updates... seemingly not this one. You only get this message *after* you update.
wu2.jpg

The clock displays on the main channel screen. Note that once you've accessed those channels again, the News and Weather channels display content in this view also.
wu3.jpg

"Today's Accomplishments" messages have become white envelopes instead of yellow ones. Only messages from friends and those generated by games will show on your calandar. You can also now re-arrange your address book.
wu4.jpg

The shop channel's main screen:
wu5.jpg

Clicking the header will take you to a list of recommended titles:
wu6.jpg

wu7.jpg

On entering the shop, you can now jump straight to titles you have already downloaded:
wu8.jpg

The virtual console area has changed too:
wu9.jpg

Popular titles:
wu10.jpg

Search by system:
wu11.jpg

By Publisher:
wu12.jpg

By Genre:
wu13.jpg

Or search for a game:
wu14.jpg

wu15.jpg

wu16.jpg

later

Quick question, does the wii connect to the internet if you turn the console on when wiiconnect24 is off? Or do you have to go to system settings and change things around first? I'd turn it off if it's the first case since it doesn't do anything anyway and I don't want to waste the earth's energies ;)

Stoked to update when I get home. Was hoping for a bit more functionality but faster loading times throughout the frontend gui is a pile of coding in its own. Good job NIN.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
zallaaa said:
mine is still motionless like a stone... maybe there was another update and I missed it? (EU version)

Maybe they only enabled it on release day consoles since they are the only ones with faulty gpus? I don't have any release day console any longer since mine had a bad gpu and the fan isn't on in my new one.

later

What I would really want is that they get rid of those awful scrollbars in the wii shop channel and use a similar interface as in the Internet channel for scrolling down..

Haunted

Nice pics radiohead, thanks.
Check your PMs

I've just updated and it's a number of minor interface changes. Nothing important, but nice to have. Haven't noticed faster loading times yet, but I'm a patient guy so I don't pay attention to that kind of stuff anyway. :p

Scrubking

Jokeropia said:
So the well-known fact that it's the GPU is all a big conspiracy to hide the real problem? What would be the point of that, might I ask?

What well known facts? You keep talking as if you had a sit down with Reggie and he explained everything to you.

The only thing we know is that Wii GPU's are failing. The reason why - whether overheating or defect - is still a mystery. And just like Msft, Nintendo isn't likely to tell us the truth any time soon.

Mithos

Dimmuxx said:
Maybe they only enabled it on release day consoles since they are the only ones with faulty gpus? I don't have any release day console any longer since mine had a bad gpu and the fan isn't on in my new one.

My GPU is fried so fan should?! run on mine i guess but it doesn't.

RevoDS

Nope, my launch day Wii is quite warm right now on WiiConnect24, and I can't seem to hear or feel any fan spinning.

Jokeropia

Scrubking said:
What well known facts? You keep talking as if you had a sit down with Reggie and he explained everything to you.

The only thing we know is that Wii GPU's are failing. The reason why - whether overheating or defect - is still a mystery. And just like Msft, Nintendo isn't likely to tell us the truth any time soon.
An defect in a small portion of the Wii GPU's cause them to be extra sensitive to heat. If you for whatever reason refuse to believe Nintendo tech support then just add two and two together. Lots of people (myself included) have had Wii's running with Connect 24 since launch without any problems. Others broke down after only a few days.

Saoh

norinrad21 said:
The fan is now running in WiiConnect24 mode, so no more overheating

really? is it really confirmed?? i thought of this when i opened the thread, but i may not use it... i don´t wanna take any risks :S mainly because i can´t send my Wii to Nintendo.

dannie said:
no one notice??you put disk into Wii~~the blue light is now lit !

i haven´t updated but, does it stay lit? ´cuz before i used to insert a disc and the blue light flash for a sec.

ksamedi

Scrubking said:

Thats bad logic, My Wii is on WC24 mode since launch and it never overheated. If for some reason it does then the system is defective so you can send it back and get a new one.

Just wondering since I haven't heard it mentioned in a while, is the playing VC Games of all SD Cards true? It was taken out of the first post.

mutsu

Stopsign said:
Just wondering since I haven't heard it mentioned in a while, is the playing VC Games of all SD Cards true? It was taken out of the first post.

That was a joke post if you haven't figured it out already.

By the way, the increase in entering into and exiting from channels is really noticeable. That's one of the main complaints I had with the Wii before, and I am happy this is now improved. Nice work Nintendo!

mclem

Stopsign said:

It was never *in* the first post. Kobun is a bad, bad man.

Dimmuxx said:

I just checked mine, bought on release day, and the fan isn't on after having been on WC24 all night and the system feels the same temperature as usual. Possibly they do know which batch was defective though and have turned on the fan for those.

By the way, it is pretty silly to think that WC24 is inherently broken. According to the Iwata asks interviews, going back several years ago one of the original design goals for the hardware was to allow it to be run all night without the fan. How likely is it that Nintendo would release a system that can't properly do something several years were spent designing it to do? Seriously, what's more likely-that Nintendo's designers screwed up the only ambition they had for the Wii hardware or that a bad batch of gpus went out?

Not to mention all of the anecdotal evidence from people who've used WV24 continuously since launch, the majority of whom have had no problems. I've left the system in WC24 for weeks at times during dry periods, without any hardware glitches.

The fear and paranoia about this issue is really silly. If your console breaks in warranty period, Nintendo will replace it. If you run WC24 your defective console will break sooner so you're more likely to be able to get it replaced.

Evlar

Banned
Stopsign said:
No, it's not true. Kobun is pulling GAF's leg.

Damnit, I could of used that. The one thing I actually want Nintendo to do. I guess the rest of this is sort of cool, but lets get some better functionality for storage Nintendo.

Top Bottom