• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Recently, I've joined a gym and teamed-up with a partner to have workouts every Monday at 5:30 (gym closes at 7). Unfortunately, I leave work at 6:30, and so I'm on the verge of asking my boss if I could leave one hour early every Monday, using a vacation time to make up for the lost hour (or not get paid for it). I work in an office, and so everything is dead here by 4pm here.

Is this a reasonable request, all things considered?
Forgotten Ancient
Banned
(08-09-2007, 10:47 PM)
I work in an office and leave whenever I feel like it. Actually, I'm gonna go to the gym right now.

But good luck talking to yours. :lol
sk3tch
(08-09-2007, 10:48 PM)
Yes...and workplaces generally encourage exercise - makes for more productive workers.

Ask once, if it doesn't work, return later with Bacon Salt rubbed all over yourself. No manager can resist.

Originally Posted by Forgotten Ancient

I work in an office and leave whenever I feel like it. Actually, I'm gonna go to the gym right now.

But good luck talking to yours. :lol

What do you do?
Beaulieu
(08-09-2007, 10:48 PM)
just do an extra hour the next day
Tamanon
Professional Bastard
(08-09-2007, 10:49 PM)
You can offer to use vacation, come in an hour early, or work a half lunch that day and a half lunch another day. Most offices are really flexible, especially when it comes to health.
Cheesemeister
(08-09-2007, 10:49 PM)
It depends on the HR policies in place and how flexible your manager is with hours. If you have some wiggle room, you could take an hour on Mondays and work an extra hour on another day, or what-not. Just ask and find out.

Originally Posted by Cheesemeister

It depends on the HR policies in place and how flexible your manager is with hours. If you have some wiggle room, you could take an hour on Mondays and work an extra hour on another day, or what-not. Just ask and find out.

I plan to. My boss has an asshole streak in him, so we'll see. I take personal fitness very seriously, so I don't know how I'm going to react if he denies this request. I really don't.
SnakeswithLasers
If I want to pay a black man $20 to suck him off in a public bathroom, by God and Country, I SHALL.
(08-09-2007, 10:55 PM)

Originally Posted by NintendosBooger

I plan to. My boss has an asshole streak in him, so we'll see. I take personal fitness very seriously, so I don't know how I'm going to react if he denies this request. I really don't.

Why did you -
a) join a gym that closes at 7 when you work until 6:30
b) make arrangements with your 'buddy/partner/instructor' to work out at 5:30 when you know you work until 6:30

Apparently while you believe you take personal fitness seriously, you either don't feel the same way about your job or have much foresight.

Aside from that - ya, just ask for flextime. Explain to your boss that you'd like to come in either an hour early on Mondays or stay an hour late some other day of the week. We can't tell you how successful you'll be - YOU'RE the one that works there. But I know at MY office it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask...
Last edited by SnakeswithLasers; 08-09-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Forgotten Ancient
Banned
(08-09-2007, 10:57 PM)

Originally Posted by NintendosBooger

If he denies your request...find a different place to work. Really, if you're willing to give up an hour of pay or make it up later AND you're not needed for that hour anyways, he should not have a problem allowing you to leave an hour early to improve your health.

The only problem I see is that if you do it, everyone will want to do it. They might not want to leave early for the gym, but they'll think their excuse is as good as yours.

G'luck. I think employers should encourage this kind of behavior.
Malleymal
You now belong to FMT.
(08-09-2007, 10:59 PM)
what gym closes at 7.....
Saoh
(08-09-2007, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Malleymal

what gym closes at 7.....

a ver crappy one :S

i hate doing extra hours the next day. i prefer not get paid for that "early" time.

for example today i left 2 hrs early because i feel sick and i'll probably won't go tomorrow (because i don't want to), and i know i will lose a whole day in pay. i could tell my boss to do extra hours but i don't think i will.
Anno
(08-09-2007, 11:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Saoh

a ver crappy one :S

i hate doing extra hours the next day. i prefer not get paid for that "early" time.

for example today i left 2 hrs early because i feel sick and i'll probably won't go tomorrow (because i don't want to), and i know i will lose a whole day in pay. i could tell my boss to do extra hours but i don't think i will.

Sounds like you need a new place to work.
Mistouze
user-friendly man-cashews
(08-09-2007, 11:23 PM)
You can ask for it, you even thought of a way to make for the time you would not be at work. As long as you don't get it for a given there's no problem in my book.