• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Falcon and the Snowman: Greatest Movie Ever or The Greatest?

So, against my better judgement I cracked my new Premium, an HDMI model many of us have been discussing here at Gaf.

Sorry gang, it doesn't appear to be the Falcon.

The board and CPU look the same as what Llamma posted for the Elite, many months ago. So the multi-barcode sticker I posted earlier is correct: these are Zephyr boards.

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

And the label for the BenQ drive:

IMG_1532.jpg

A word about the watermark: EviLore (or any other mods/admins), I will certainly remove it at your request. I believe when other sites on the web run these, they should be properly attributed to the community from whence they came. If Shacknews (BuddyC or ChrisRemo), Gaming-Age (Jim), or Kotaku ('cause you guys have guts to spare) would like the full-size, unalderated photos, I would be more than happy to provide them. All I ask is that you watermark them with your respective site logo and link back to the discussion at Gaf. Just send a message-thing (sorry, can't remember what they're called) and give me your email addresses. All others, don't bother asking. And sorry if that came across as preachy and egomaniacal.

And, yes, this is a big fuck you to xbox-scene. I do not desire attribution; in fact, it should go to all of us at NeoGaf. Only scum abscond with something that is not there's.

FrankT

No_Style said:
Slightly disappointed by the lack of 65 nm CPU, but at least it is the quieter BenQ drives right?

Really? Interesting.

Well, supposedly that according to the Mole that brought us the info on the 0727 boards which were to include HDMI. Turned out to be correct on that call, we shall see on 0728.

madmook

Are all the HDMI premiums coming with quieter Benq drives, then? I may be tempted.... my current core's drivetray sticks a lot.

Jtyettis said:
Good Man, 0728 and above will be your Falcons.

You got 0727 Zephyr, correct?
You are correct! And you have a good memory!

So, Target, prepare to get this back when the 0728s come. Not 'cause I don't trust this one. Because I want the latest and greatest. Huzzah!

Edit: Sorry guys. Please see this post concerning the lot numbers.

No_Style

madmook said:
Are all the HDMI premiums coming with quieter Benq drives, then? I may be tempted.... my current core's drivetray sticks a lot.

My Premium does that when the Xbox 360 isn't in use for some time.. It's the cursed plastic or something.

Anywho, friend and I are contemplating trade-in for Falcons.

Barkley's Justice said:
ps -

that photo of the chip...is that the processor? if so, why is there no heat sink on that?
The microchip you see is the CPU, which is scheduled to make the leap to 65nm-space before the GPU.

The heatsink is removed. And for anyone that's ever done that, I have the shredded fingers as evidence. Those needle like protrusions at the solder points are attracted to flesh.

llTll

Banned
i salute you. thanks for taking one for the team

now. can someone tell me whats going on?

any machine made in 4th July till 28th of July will have second heat sink + HDMI + BenQ Drive. [ will be called Zephyr ?]

any machine after 28th of July will have second heat sink + HDMI + BenQ Srive + 65n chip? [ will be called Falcon ? ]

did i miss something or iam totally wrong [ please correct me ]
also. aside from the date of the console, does it say anything on the box?

EDIT: Someone change the title. many people aren't checking this because they of the title :/

MCD

Dalauz said:
wow thanks, so xbox-scene was lying?

No one was lying here, it's just that early July 360s ain't 65nm yet.

at least there is the 2nd heatsink and the Benq dvd drive.

clashfan

wonderkins said:
So, against my better judgement I cracked my new Premium, an HDMI model many of us have been discussing here at Gaf.

Sorry gang, it doesn't appear to be the Falcon.

The board and CPU look the same as what Llamma posted for the Elite, many months ago. So the multi-barcode sticker I posted earlier is correct: these are Zephyr boards.

A word about the watermark: EviLore (or any other mods/admins), I will certainly remove it at your request. I believe when other sites on the web run these, they should be properly attributed to the community from whence they came. If Shacknews (BuddyC or ChrisRemo), Gaming-Age (Jim), or Kotaku ('cause you guys have guts to spare) would like the full-size, unalderated photos, I would be more than happy to provide them. All I ask is that you watermark them with your respective site logo and link back to the discussion at Gaf. Just send a message-thing (sorry, can't remember what they're called) and give me your email addresses. All others, don't bother asking. And sorry if that came across as preachy and egomaniacal.

And, yes, this is a big fuck you to xbox-scene. I do not desire attribution; in fact, it should go to all of us at NeoGaf. Only scum abscond with something that is not there's.

Thanks for being a team player and opening your 360. Lots of useful info.

No thanks necessary. It's like your first computer; curiosity gets the better of you and you have to open it. Plus, and I may be naive, but I think that extra heatsink will do the trick. I don't think these will have any problems.

And for anyone that opens their 360 (e.g out of warranty) and tries to remove the x-clamps, I found that you had to press down on the clamp and then use a pry-tool to work the clamp off. The clamp has a bit of spring to it; just be careful you don't flex the board. The x-clamps wouldn't budge without pressing it down while working the edges.

Now, like Jtyettis stated, the wait begins for Lot 0728. Hopefully, someone finds one soon and posts a shot of the sticker. If it shows FALCON, then we'll have our megaton.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Thanks for opening your brand new 360! I was certain these would be still 90nm parts when people started saying it had the second GPU heatsink, but sometimes I hate to be right :/

Shamrock

Banned
Hey thanks man. I just bought a Elite made In June 2007 2 weeks ago. It has the extra heatsink, but damn I was pissed off because I thought if I wanted just a few extra days I would get the 65nm chips. It doesn't seem like their out yet even in July Models, so I don't feel quite as bad.

Edit:

Wow xboxscene already used your photos and linked this thread. I wonder if they actually read the last line of the post.:lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Shamrock said:
Hey thanks man. I just bought a Elite made In June 2007 2 weeks ago. It has the extra heatsink, but damn I was pissed off because I thought if I wanted just a few extra days I would get the 65nm chips. It doesn't seem like their out yet even in July Models, so I don't feel quite as bad.

Edit:

Wow xboxscene already used your photos and linked this thread. I wonder if they actually read the last line of the post.:lol

They're already bashing this forum in their forums.

Barnolde said:
Fucking knew it..

Hurry the fuck up with 65nm, this is beyond retarded. >_<

XS also "pseudo-apologized" and removed some posts.

Why? It's not like the second heatsink won't fix the problem. And, if it breaks, you'll be sent back a 65nm anyway.

Barnolde

Banned
Littleberu said:
Why? It's not like the second heatsink won't fix the problem. And, if it breaks, you'll be sent back a 65nm anyway.

You don't know if either of those things are true.

For the rest of my reply, I'm just going to direct you here and here.

clav

Littleberu said:
You have no proof, and I have said before a second heatpipe can do miracles.

HaloFans said:
You have no proof, and I have said before a second heatpipe can do miracles.

That's precisely what I'm saying, unless you meant : "CAN'T" do miracles.

You don't know if either of those things are true.

For the rest of my reply, I'm just going to direct you here and here.

Technically, you're not paying, as Microsoft has extended the warranty for 3 years (and, between you and me, that means they're confident that it won't break as much as it did, if it does at all)

I'm no way salesman for Microsoft, but right now, If you wanted an Xbox 360, anyway, you would've bought one with the price cut. The rest is just nitpicking. And with the second heatsink, there's even less chance of it breaking, and if it does, it won't in the next 6 months.

Top Bottom