• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most EPIC boss fight in gaming?

Arsenic

armubaba said:
Yeah, I actually tried numerous times to kill him on the dock, but I didn't have a sniper rifle, and that made things a LOT harder. I also knew that if I set my PS2 two (?) weeks ahead that would kill him as well. But, in retrospect, I would probably miss out on one of the best gaming experiences of my life had I done that. I'm very happy I decided to actually fight him.
I remember trying to replay that boss fight again, and then getting a cutscene that he passed away. Then something funny happened like The End or his parrot exploded :D gotta love Kojima and his crew.

Shrike_Priest said:
The entire escape from Groznyj Grad in MGS3.

That has to be the definition of "epic". Chase scenes, rocket launchers, giant robot-tanks, and so on.

Plus the fact that you can release the first-person view button, and get dramatic movie-like camera angles.

NeonBlade

Banned
I knew when I came into this thread I knew there would be retards claiming Ganon at the end of OoT was EPIC. Christ do you people even know what epic means? That garbage could never qualify as an EPIC soul crushing battle.

NeonBlade said:
I knew when I came into this thread I knew there would be retards claiming Ganon at the end of OoT was EPIC. Christ do you people even know what epic means? That garbage could never qualify as an EPIC soul crushing battle.
No, why don't you explain it to us retards?

Eiji

Norante said:
http://img152.exs.cx/img152/5382/shagohodbox9bg.jpg

Yeah the Shagohod battle in MGS3 was really epic. The camera angles used and the music and the scale of the whole battle was really impressive.

aoi tsuki

Dragona Akehi said:
Ulala vs. Giant Evila segueing into Ulala vs. BlankTV.

Your music gets cut out during Giant Evila (which completely fucks you over rhythm wise, and it takes that moment to realise how important it was), and after Ulala gets smacked around and all appears to be lost, an acapella version of Mexican Flyer is started, slowly gaining more people and finally the return of the band.

Then after Blank absorbs Ulala into BlankTV the crowd starts chanting Ulala's moves (instead of Ulala repeating), all while the music climaxes.

The only other comparison I have is the lead up to the end of JJF in EBA.
i completely forgot how enveloping that game was, for what it was. The acapella portion was pure fucking genius.

lan-di_3.jpg

Oh wait... damn it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Mark Rein vs. Dennis Dyack!

A showdown between gaming bosses!

And I get bonus points... because one actually is EPIC!

Where's my prize for winning this thread.

didnt actually read this thread and hopes no one already beat me to this lame joke... because that would be really embarrassing.

edit: omg... first page... i suck.

zoku88

recklessmind said:
Mark Rein vs. Dennis Dyack!

A showdown between gaming bosses!

And I get bonus points... because one actually is EPIC!

Where's my prize for winning this thread.

didnt actually read this thread and hopes no one already beat me to this lame joke... because that would be really embarrassing.

edit: omg... first page... i suck.
I misread the title at first and thought the whole thread was supposed to be about boss battles from Epic games, haha...

RyuHayate

- Leon vs. Krauser (RE4)
- Every Vergil encounter in DMC3.
- Tranced Kuja (FF9)
- Edea (FF8, end of disc 1)
- The final colossus (SOTC)

NotWii

Banned
Kevtones said:
OoT finale.
Bingo

Followed closely by:
- Wind Waker final battle
- Super Metroid final battle
- Yoshi's Island final battle
- StarFox 64 Hard Route final battle
- Eldin Bridge Fight in Twilight Princess (yeah, it's the best thing in the whole game)
- Metroid Prime final battle
- Sin & Punishment final battle

Zann

Neo Member
The fight against Krauser in RE4. It was cool how they gave us a large battlefield to fight against him because that really made it that much more fun. Plus, killing him with the knife was very satisfying.

aoi tsuki said:
i completely forgot how enveloping that game was, for what it was. The acapella portion was pure fucking genius.

Ah! Thank god for YouTube!

Here's the entire endstage! Complete with "regular Evila" with the WONDERFULLY HORRIBLE FAKE RUSSIAN ACCENT (cmon it's an EVIL robotic clone of the main character WITH A FAKE RUSSIAN ACCENT, it's so 60s <3).

"Fuse: OH NO! THE SOUND SYSTEM! THE MUSIC!"

Imagine that scene absolutely pumping through a 5.1 surround sound setup turned up at 11.

I want SC5 part 3. :(

Gonna go play SC5 and SC5 part 2 back to back RIGHT NOW.

The End

the 3-act jehuty/anubis fight from ZOE2, no contest

first you beat anubis, but it turns out to be a drone, and you're stripped of all your weapons and badly damaged

then you fight a fully-powered anubis in compressed space with just a blade and the zero shift

ultimately jehuty evovles in his ultimate, "naked" form, and utterly destroy anubis inside of a complex hollowed out of phobos (i think, might have been deimos)

anyway, pretty much the definition of epic

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Vergil 3 : DMC3
Anubis (second to last boss fight) : Zone of the Enders 2
All of Sotc
Nobunaga Final: Onimusha 3
Mother Brain: Super Metroid
The Boss: Metal Gear Solid 3
Liquid Snake: Metal Gear Solid

M3d10n said:
Pretty much everything from Radiant Silvergun screams EPIC. The story itself is really good, too.

donkey show said:
Oh yeah, DC flashback time.

Dark%20Falz%203.jpg

Fighting Dark Falz on very hard with 4 buddies online was insanely awesome. Everyone is just trying to blast the dude to death while trying to survive megid blasts and reviving dead people on the ground was just fun. I miss the epicness of it all.
I actually came in this thread to post this. Truly an epic encounter. The music, the setting -- EVERYTHING. What an amazing experience, too.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
NeonBlade said:

Wonder where this gal went?

FF VI's Kefka is the handsdown choice for me.
Zeus
from God of War II was a more recent example of an amazing last boss fight.

fernoca

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-After Link and Zelda escape..the castle explodes..and bam! Gannondorf turns into Ganon..cue lighting in the background, dramatic music..fire around Link and Ganon hiting Link, making him to loss his sword... :)

Top Bottom