• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii have taken over! From a reliable source..

koam

..GAF!

Since it's a pretty big milestone, I've decided to post this in its own thread. This is taken from GAF numbers (compiled in the takeover thread) and not VG Chartz. All hail our new Nintendo overloads! All hail the waggle!

Wii

Australia - 138,192
Europe - 2,870,000
Japan - 3,424,139
Canada - 313,956
US - 3,615,000

TOTAL - 10,361,287
______

Australia - 195,056
Europe - 3,250,000
Japan - 402,381
Canada - 403,500
US - 5,950,000

TOTAL - 10,200,937

DISCLAIMER: Europe numbers have been compiled with our best guestimates using numbers released in the past and today's numbers. If you still want to dispute those, you should be aware that NPD stops in July and does not include August data which statistically, puts the Wii ahead of the 360 either way. The Wii's "win" is actually a lot bigger than what is posted here.

SIDE NOTE: It's quite possible the the Wii hit 10 million right before the 360 did.

Zeed

Banned
Fireworks.jpg

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
One disclaimer- the Europe numbers are partial estimates. It's possible/probable the numbers are different, but generally I think we've done a good job estimating.

koam

Ikaris said:
I started a thread like this one...

now my "New post" abilities have been revoked.

Have a nice day.

Quiet you. I've backed up my numbers.

just for reference can someone post the gaf compiled PS3 numbers? plz

See the takeover thread, this one is just Wii vs 360 numbers.

Ikaris said:
I started a thread like this one...

now my "New post" abilities have been revoked.

Have a nice day.
Considering the numbers were compiled here in plain view...

Anyways, next milestone is triple PS3 numbers!

Also isn't it concievable that the 360 can steal back the crown momentarily, depending on exactly how much Nintendo's been stockpiling? 360 has to have close to 2 million in the pipelines now whereas Nintendo is flushed clean.

Son of Godzilla said:

Also isn't it concievable that the 360 can steal back the crown momentarily, depending on exactly how much Nintendo's been stockpiling? 360 has to have close to 2 million in the pipelines now whereas Nintendo is flushed clean.
They should be producing 1.5M wiis now, and they're only selling 1.2M each month at best ;)

koam said:
Wii

Australia - 138,192
Europe - 2,870,000
Japan - 3,424,139
Canada - 313,956
US - 3,615,000

TOTAL - 10,361,287
______

Australia - 195,056
Europe - 3,250,000
Japan - 402,381
Canada - 403,500
US - 5,950,000

TOTAL - 10,200,937

What more impressive is that the Wii's reached this milestone while the 360 is still leading in 4/5 of these territories.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
_leech_ said:
What more impressive is that the Wii's reached this milestone while the 360 is still leading in 4/5 of these territories.

I said this in another thread...

JAPAN!!

koam

Son of Godzilla said:

Not really. Nintendo is SELLING a tad over 1 million a month whereas the 360 is closer to 400,000 a month.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
_leech_ said:

Well, that lead in Australia and Europe is dwindling very very quickly. N.A is really the only territory with any sort of significant 360 lead.

Can someone post the LTD PS3 numbers in all regions, I need a laugh.

On a side note, with the recent price drop and Halo 3 coming out soon, hopefully the 360 can start to pull off Wii's numbers (in US atleast) consistently. They have the right games, and almost the right prices.

legend166

Son of Godzilla said:

I have no doubt that Nintendo has been holding back stock for Christmas. Who knows how much, though. I predict they'll sell 2 million in the US in November + December.

I'm not too sure what the usual levels of hardware in Japan are for the same period. But let's just say it's 1 million, which is probably very, very low. I don't think there is anyway for the 360 sales in the US to overcome the difference in Japan.

I think the next significant milestone is overtaking 360 + PS3 combined. I think it will happen around March next year.

apujanata

Son of Godzilla said:

Unless there is 1 million unit of X360 sold in the month of Halo 3 release (September ?), I don't think X360 can steal the crown back momentarily. Too much ground lost in Japan and Europe (and Europe does not really dig Halo, IIRC).

I really don't understand it..... not one bit.

Me neither, despite owning it myself. >_> Motion sensing has a ton of potential, but imo, the wii hasn't done much to actualize it yet. and wii sports, its killer app, is utter trash (imo). where are the games that do things impossible on other systems? it seems that nintendo is only interested in using motion sensing to simplify games...

bigmakstudios said:
Me neither, despite owning it myself. >_> Motion sensing has a ton of potential, but imo, the wii hasn't done much to actualize it yet. and wii sports, its killer app, is utter trash (imo). where are the games that do things impossible on other systems? it seems that nintendo is only interested in using motion sensing to simplify games...

I wish Nintendo would release some sort of hybrid FPS game to show some of the benefits of motion sensing.

Andy787

Banned
So why are we celebrating this? Doesn't the 360 offer a much higher quality and more diverse library of video games?

Uh.. don't we care about video games anymore? :( I mean, I kind of liked video games more than sales figures.

bigmakstudios said:
where are the games that do things impossible on other systems? it seems that nintendo is only interested in using motion sensing to simplify games...
Wii Sports.

You can't do minigames on other systems, right. :lol

Xenon

Son of Godzilla said:

Next milestone for Wii is

Wiis in Japan > PS3s in the world

bigmakstudios said:

You tell me another system where anyone with the physical ability to make a motion of rolling a bowling ball, and have it recreated in a video game is at, and then you will be correct.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
RiskyChris said:
I wish Nintendo would release some sort of hybrid FPS game to show some of the benefits of motion sensing.

Yea, maybe they could even use an established AAA franchise to boot?

Just a thought.

koam

Andy787 said:
So why are we celebrating this? Doesn't the 360 offer a much higher quality and more diverse library of video games?

Uh.. don't we care about video games anymore? :( I mean, I kind of liked video games more than sales figures.

Metroid Prime 3 comes out next week.

I never thought I'd see the day where something like the Wii would be more successful in the U.S. than in Japan.

Did you look at the numbers? Wii is ONLY winning in Japan, in fact, it's because of Japan that they are winning.

titiklabingapat said:
They should be producing 1.5M wiis now, and they're only selling 1.2M each month at best ;)
Wow, no idea you guys had production estimates too :lol Any clue how long this has been going on? I vaguely remember something about production steeping up in April, and even 5 months of half a mill stacking up seems like not enough for the holidays.

Ikaris

Andy787 said:

Good point.

Sadly, however, the people who have the money to fund most AAA titles (read: Publishers) care a lot about sales figures.

LCGeek

formerly sane
bigmakstudios said:

RE4, Godfather, and cod3/rs/mp3 allow me to enjoy these games in which no dual analog controller is ever going to do so.

_leech_ said:

Not really. If i've said it a million times, the 360 was never going to stay market leader without Japan.

I was shocked to see my local Best Buy (Wilkes Barre, PA) had a nice display of about 40-50 Wii's for sale. That was the first time I saw a Wii there for sale since it launched.

Top Bottom