• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October EGM scores: Bioshock, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk

Mojovonio

Banned
tribal24 said:
i expect rachet to get the same score actually or alittle better

R&C is going to get at least 3 9s.

They went back to their original formula and Insomniac really seems at home with the franchise.

That and the whole game looks amazingly polished.

Alcibiades

Mysims review mentions:

-sloppy controls
-horrible loading times
-bad interface
-not very deep; quite streamlined experience that doesn't compare favorably to Animal Crossing

Warhawk scores:

Joe - 8.5
Crispin - 7.0
Sam - 8.5

Raist

Banned
Mojovonio said:
i really want to read the HS reviews to see why they liked it so much. The issues in the other reviews seemed pretty big, so maybe they other reviews just blew shit out of proportion.

Who reviewed HS?

I think the other ones are probably fair. I mean, when you have a look at the HS demo thread, some people loved the combat system, some hated it.
On my first run, I was like "duh, what the hell ?!" Then I tried to train a lil bit, counter, have fun with combos, and then it clicked. And I really like it.

So that's probably the same case for IGN and Edge. They didn't seem to like it. That's fair, I personnally think the combat system in NGS is not really good for instance. I tried to get used to it, but never managed to like it.

I think HS can be a really great game if you like the combat system. If you're not into it, you'll just think it's button mashing and repetitive. Hence the very different review scores HS got, IMO (even from the "bubububu those mags / sites don't count" IMO they count as much as IGN or Edge or whatever mag or site, they're just one man's opinion after all).

Best advice I gave to a couple of friends is to try the game. If they like the combat system, the game is most probably great. It's probably short yeah, but I think that if you like it, it won't matter at all (like GoW being short didn't seem to matter for most people)

Mojovonio

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
His comment was warranted though, as it was a response to someone mentioning "6.5s" as if there had been more than one such score. Mojovonio calling the guy retarded, however, was just Mojovonio being his usual charming nasty self and was certainly not warranted.

Did you quote the wrong post then or what?

Oh, yeah I did. Hence the confusion.

Green Shinobi said:
Actually, to be honest, and I've said this a couple of times before, I didn't like the combat in the demo terribly much compared to Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry. I just felt a lot more limited than those games, probably since there's no block or jump button and the camera is largely fixed.

I was hoping, however, that it's something that you grow to love over a few hours with it.

I agree with what you are saying, but in the case with HS the demo was really short which doesn't really give you much to go on. I played the demo multiple times to get to grips with the combat and it seemed ok to me.

3rdman

Alcibiades said:
how the heck did some college town in the middle of nowhere get the issues first?

I thought I'd missed some giant thread or something and had missed all the talk...

some more scores:

Corruption & Halo 3 not reviews
Wild Arms 5 - 8, 6.5, 5
Eternal Sonata - 6, 8, 7
Madden 2008- 9, 9, 8.5
NHL 2008 (EA) - 9.5, 9, 9
Medal of Honor - 6.5, 8, 5.5

The Mysims 6, 5.5, 6 scores are for Wii
And yeah, Shane gave Heavenly Sword the 9
Shocked! Shocked I tell you!

tribal24

Banned
Mojovonio said:

They went back to their original formula and Insomniac really seems at home with the franchise.

heres the thing i see with this though if they went back to there original formula wouldnt you think reviewers says there are no changes in gameplay and deduct points ?

Alcibiades said:
how the heck did some college town in the middle of nowhere get the issues first?

I thought I'd missed some giant thread or something and had missed all the talk...

some more scores:

Corruption & Halo 3 not reviews
Wild Arms 5 - 8, 6.5, 5
Eternal Sonata - 6, 8, 7
Madden 2008- 9, 9, 8.5
NHL 2008 (EA) - 9.5, 9, 9
Medal of Honor - 6.5, 8, 5.5

The Mysims 6, 5.5, 6 scores are for Wii
And yeah, Shane gave Heavenly Sword the 9

NEOGASM!

sphinx

the piano man
I can understand Halo 3 being reviewed next month, near the game's release date

but metroid prime 3?

If I read at the back of the issue they didn't have time to play it, wahtever sympathy I had for EGM will automatically disappear.

nib95 said:
Actually you are wrong. The price was announced a few weeks back. That article dates to the first of this month. The review was published but a week ago. Which means they would have known about the price. But nice try :D

I don't see anyone declaring that all EGM reviewers are going to give a 1 point deduction to Warhawk, I merely see that some were considering counting pricing as a negative. In fact I couldn't even find anything about a 1 point deduction.

Mojovonio said:

You honestly think so? I believe Ratchet will get roundly dogged on for sticking with the format and not doing enough new things (regardless of how solid that format is), and for whatever random nitpicks critics can find.

Mojovonio

Banned
Raist said:
I think the other ones are probably fair. I mean, when you have a look at the HS demo thread, some people loved the combat system, some hated it.
On my first run, I was like "duh, what the hell ?!" Then I tried to train a lil bit, counter, have fun with combos, and then it clicked. And I really like it.

So that's probably the same case for IGN and Edge. They didn't seem to like it. That's fair, I personnally think the combat system in NGS is not really good for instance. I tried to get used to it, but never managed to like it.

I think HS can be a really great game if you like the combat system. If you're not into it, you'll just think it's button mashing and repetitive. Hence the very different review scores HS got, IMO (even from the "bubububu those mags / sites don't count" IMO they count as much as IGN or Edge or whatever mag or site, they're just one man's opinion after all).

Best advice I gave to a couple of friends is to try the game. If they like the combat system, the game is most probably great. It's probably short yeah, but I think that if you like it, it won't matter at all (like GoW being short didn't seem to matter for most people)

In all honesty, my impression from the demo was the same as Stranglehold.

Really fun, but it won't last long.

I think HS will be a really great rental for me because I don't see much depth in the combat and its being reported as being 6 hours long.

That's fine, the game looks amazing and has a pretty compelling story. Enought o warrant one or two play throughs.

tribal24

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
You honestly think so? I believe Ratchet will get roundly dogged on for sticking with the format and not doing enough new things (regardless of how solid that format is), and for whatever random nitpicks critics can find.

this is the truth and i know its coming-_-

well, the good news about SH5 being Fall 2008 release is that means there's still plenty of development time.

...and that 45 minute Akira Yamaoka PLAY! interview did hint at the Japanese Silent Hill team working on a new IP for next year, so yeah.... patience. :D

traveler

Not Wario
sphinx said:
I can understand Halo 3 being reviewed next month, near the game's release date

but metroid prime 3?

If I read at the back of the issue they didn't have time to play it, wahtever sympathy I had for EGM will automatically disappear.

Nintendo didn't even send them the game to play until last weekend.

Ashhong

nib95 said:
Actually you are wrong. The price was announced a few weeks back. That article dates to the first of this month. The review was published but a week ago. Which means they would have known about the price. But nice try :D

Actually...the quote says they were forced to go to print without a price, so...take from that what you will. Interesting to see that it wasn't even Joe who gave it the lowest score, who is the one that said it should be docked 1 point.

Mojovonio

Banned
tribal24 said:
heres the thing i see with this though if they went back to there original formula wouldnt you think reviewers says there are no changes in gameplay and deduct points ?

Well, it depends on the reviewer I think.

Personally, the original formula was perfect. It was an awesome mix of platforming and shooting.

For them to go back to that an improve on it, instead of leaning too heavy on one side, I think that's all it needs.

Look at SMG. Its the same formula as Mario 64 and Mario 64 was the same formula as Super Mario Bros.

You jump on stuff, collect coins, etc.

Its the variants (yoshi, swimming, planets) that make it new.

I may be completely off base, but personally, that's the game I look at and think AAA.

spwolf

Mojovonio said:
because he's calling it the PS3 GOTY when the 2 biggest games haven't even been released yet, maybe?

ehm, kind of strong words for one post, eh? Lets not insult for no reason... and HS is currently the best reviewed PS3 game in EGM, isnt it? In two months, we will see more...

For me = Wowhawk will probably be my GOTY anyway, since I already clocked more hours in it that any other game in 2007 (except for CivIV)...

Thats also kind of silly for the price argument - so according them, it doesnt have enough features for $40 game (thats is really funny but wait), does it matter what features it has on the paper as supposed to how many hours you spend on the game?

If I spend 100 hours on Warhawk, isnt it better value (for me) than Oblivion where I spent 2 hours, or lets say Bioshock where you spend 20-30 hours, or GOWII with 15-20 hours? What really justifies game price (I am not comparing games btw, just hours you put into them)? Would really Warhawk score better if it had Q3A or BF1942 type of single player (very shallow and nobody playing it)?

AAA multiplayer experience is much better value in terms of gaming than AAA single player experience... at least that is so for me.

Kusagari

Splatt said:
Well fuck. Now i have no idea if i should pick WA5 or not. Dammit EGM!

I've always found that EGM rates most RPGs lower than average. The only RPGs that seem to be able to get a 9+ from EGM is Final Fantasy or the rare exception like Persona 3.

TheJollyCorner said:
well, the good news about SH5 being Fall 2008 release is that means there's still plenty of development time.

...and that 45 minute Akira Yamaoka PLAY! interview did hint at the Japanese Silent Hill team working on a new IP for next year, so yeah.... patience. :D

Eh, we always knew it was going to be fall '08. They had to have said more then that, its their damn cover story.

nib95 said:

You do know that there are lead times for print don't you?

Prine

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
I do not have a 360 or a pc that could possibly run bioshock. that being said, i played the demo at a friends house, and long story short i will be picking up a 360 as soon as financially possible. my god, what a game.

Got 2 of my friends to buy elite based on Bioshock demo

Halo 3 will get triple 10s too i think

AltogetherAndrews said:
i honestly think so. the environments in R&C are on a whole new scale to anything we've seen before in the series. i don't think it looks like a game that is playing it entirely to formula.

also, EGM have been high on it since day one.

Mojovonio

Banned
spwolf said:
ehm, kind of strong words for one post, eh? Lets not insult for no reason... and HS is currently the best reviewed PS3 game in EGM, isnt it? In two months, we will see more...

For me = Wowhawk will probably be my GOTY anyway, since I already clocked more hours in it that any other game in 2007 (except for CivIV)...

Thats also kind of silly for the price argument - so according them, it doesnt have enough features for $40 game (thats is really funny but wait), does it matter what features it has on the paper as supposed to how many hours you spend on the game?

If I spend 100 hours on Warhawk, isnt it better value (for me) than Oblivion where I spent 2 hours, or lets say Bioshock where you spend 20-30 hours, or GOWII with 15-20 hours? What really justifies game price (I am not comparing games btw, just hours you put into them)? Would really Warhawk score better if it had Q3A or BF1942 type of single player (very shallow and nobody playing it)?

AAA multiplayer experience is much better value in terms of gaming than AAA single player experience... at least that is so for me.

I usually split my own personal GOTY in to two categories.

The game that I feel a developer put lots of effort in to making an amazing SP experience (probably going to be Bioshock) and the game I spend the longest playing (probably going to be Halo 3).

So you sort of think the way I do.

But come on if you think HS will be the best the PS3 can do this year.

Prine said:
Got 2 of my friends to buy elite based on Bioshock demo
It has made me seriously consider upgrading my PC in the near future aswell. There are some special games that you just don't want to miss out on.

Just curious, has Shane ever given a PS3 exclusive game lower then a 9 in a review? He was the only one in the mag to give Motorstorm a 9 as well.

Mojovonio

Banned
plagiarize said:
i honestly think so. the environments in R&C are on a whole new scale to anything we've seen before in the series. i don't think it looks like a game that is playing it entirely to formula.

also, EGM have been high on it since day one.

My thoughts exactly.

This game is so Pixar-like in quality and finish, its amazing.

Mojovonio said:
But come on if you think HS will be the best the PS3 can do this year.

If I get GT5 prologue and Tekken 5 DR online down here in Australia this year that is all I need from my PS3. HS will be one awesome rental.

Top Bottom