• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PSP MAME4ALL HiRes (Arcade Emulator for PSP)

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Barkley's Justice said:
no, man. that emulator is not outstanding. it's mediocre.

look at how backwards the development has been. this is from the readme file:

as i said, someone needs to write an emu from the ground-up for psp, instead of reverse engineering two other platforms and porting to a 3rd.

You need to keep up with the news some more

There is a new modded SNESTYL ME+++ with speedhack fix that really improves the speed ina lot of games.

therapist

The real question is will this run EspDaRae or DoDonPachi without 3 frames per second?

Edit : tested , and neither work :(

chespace said:
So um, there's an Apple II emu? Jesusssss links people, links.

Apple II emulator:

http://pspupdates.qj.net/Apple-II-Portable-for-the-PSP/pg/49/aid/7632

Haven't used it for a while, but I seem to remember using the "hard reset" option crashes the emu if you use it right at startup, but works after that. Instead, you just hit the "back" button for the initial boot (sorry, don't have my PSP with me at the moment).

Lode Runner, Karateka, Seven Cities of Gold, Wings of Fury, and Stellar 7 all work great. I still play a lil' Seven Cities every now and then.

Oregon Trail and the Ultima games work too, but since they're keyboard-heavy, it's a bit of a pain to actually play (L button brings up a keyboard and you use the dpad to press a key).

Sadly, this is the only version of the emu released... wish they'd update it.

KiNeSiS

Banned
The Following Is A Public Cry For Help!

I Swear I'm Going To Go On A Homicidal Rampage!
Why Can't I Get Neo-Geo Or Arcade Titles To Work On My PSP....
Nes, Snes, Genesis All Work Perfectly....

When I Run A Neo-Geo Title On The Neo Emulator PSP It States BIOS not found....
They Work Perfectly On Neo-Rage X PC.....

The CPS2 Titles Same Thing They Work Flawless In My MAME PC.
I Thought This NJ Guy Made Excellent Code.... It Seems That I Can't Get Any Of His Stuff To Run A Game Period They Load Then Give Me Error Messages When They Work Perfectly On The PC.... So Obviously The Roms Aren't Bad....

Eiji

KiNeSiS said:
The Following Is A Public Cry For Help!

I Swear I'm Going To Go On A Homicidal Rampage!
Why Can't I Get Neo-Geo Or Arcade Titles To Work On My PSP....
Nes, Snes, Genesis All Work Perfectly....

When I Run A Neo-Geo Title On The Neo Emulator PSP It States BIOS not found....
They Work Perfectly On Neo-Rage X PC.....

The CPS2 Titles Same Thing They Work Flawless In My MAME PC.
I Thought This NJ Guy Made Excellent Code.... It Seems That I Can't Get Any Of His Stuff To Run A Game Period They Load Then Give Me Error Messages When They Work Perfectly On The PC.... So Obviously The Roms Aren't Bad....

Grammar school is that way -->

Grayman

KiNeSiS said:
What Snes 9x?
Some Snes Games Won't Even Boot.... (Such As Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium.)

Thanks Everyone Who Dropped Knowledge, PsP Is Christmas Day In A Neo-Geo Cartridged Sized Object.... It Is A Shard Of Heaven In Your Hands....
Fire pro worked once on TYL years ago when the psp was new but I only made it run once, afterwards i got corrupted and unclickable menu text. The game did load though, i think it was the hacked english version

KiNeSiS

Banned
_dementia said:
heh, KiNeSiS ROM talk is bad.

read the text files that come with NJ's MVSPSP for your solution.

Yes I Did Read the ReadMe.
Only Thing Is It States Everything I Tried As Compatable However Nothing Is Booting....
Very Strange Considering They Work On Neo Rage X.

As For The SNES Fire Pro It Boots But The Title Is Glitched & You Cannot Start The Game....

stressboy

KiNeSiS said:
Yes I Did Read the ReadMe.
Only Thing Is It States Everything I Tried As Compatable However Nothing Is Booting....
Very Strange Considering They Work On Neo Rage X.

As For The SNES Fire Pro It Boots But The Title Is Glitched & You Cannot Start The Game....

Why do you capitalize the first letter in all of your words?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
FTWer said:

There is a new modded SNESTYL ME+++ with speedhack fix that really improves the speed ina lot of games.
Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger still run poorly I'm assuming.

McBacon said:
The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.
There are a lot of people in this thread who openly admitted to be using arcade roms and I don't think they have the cabinet at home. I don't really see the difference to "normal" software. You're still playing a pirated game. The board policy isn't really consistent on the topic.

Grayman

camineet said:
oh man! Wings of Fury was the best game made for Apple II along with Choplifter :D
choperlifter on my tv in 4 colours blew my MIND! quickdraw and load runner were also the shit.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
There are a lot of people in this thread who openly admitted to be using arcade roms and I don't think they have the cabinet at home.

guess again.

I`ve made sure i`m using/talking about the ones i own.

then again, i`m not talking about how to get them to work either.

Izzy

Banned
VicViper said:
In other news, there's a new version of DOSBox for PSP out. Works flawlessly and the game compatibility is amazing. Been playing some Dune 2 lately.

Jesus...time to whip out the old faves like Floor 13.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Alright, I've got DOSBOX going on my PSP but how do you pull up the keyboard?

I've tried lefttrigger+righttrigger+select+down and it doesn't do shit.

Also, where do you put the games?

There's not a lot of documentation on this thing.

FTWer said:

i'm sure it still stinks. my testing game is castlevania 4, essentially a launch title. if an emu can't run that, i know it's a stinker.

again, as i said, the snes emu needs a total re-write on the psp. i have no idea why no one has stepped up to this. cps2 runs perfectly, for crying out loud.

Barkley's Justice said:
i'm sure it still stinks. my testing game is castlevania 4, essentially a launch title. if an emu can't run that, i know it's a stinker.

again, as i said, the snes emu needs a total re-write on the psp. i have no idea why no one has stepped up to this. cps2 runs perfectly, for crying out loud.

The guy who did the CPS2 emulator and NeoGeo emulator is one and the same, which both run full speed. He nailed more powerful hardware like it was nothing in a relatively shorter time, so the SNES straggling behind even though it's been out far longer is a head scratcher. PSP SNES emulation scene is a bit lacking, it needs this guy's talent stat.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
FTWer said:
people got Super Mario RPG at a constant 58fps & that's probably the toughest game to emulate.

What about the Mode 7 games? I don't think they even run.

Agree on the comment that it's a hack job, this emu has jumped into so many different hands, the source must be frightening to look at.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
chespace said:
Also, where do you put the games?
Default configuration uses "Memory stick ROOT/dosbox" as drive "C:", and already comes with one game and some dos-commander installed. You can change this and many other settings in the config file in the install directory.

Marc said:
I got it off Maxconsole forums, it's quite a chase to find the actual archive that includes configuration and other files (most of places are just hosting the latest binary for some reason -_-).
To be fair, I wouldn't hold my hopes up for the likes of Dune2 yet - emulation is still quite slow at the moment (I'd estimate ~10mhz cpu based on some games I tried, though I guess it varies), but on the positive side compatibility is very good.

On the plus side,
Master of Orion, Master of Magic are fairly playable, and I suspect HOMM1/2 will be too (haven't tried them yet).

Top Bottom