• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall '07 Anime Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

FnordChan

Between a fit of boredom and a burning desire to know what new cartoons were going to hit this season, it seemed time to kick off the fall anime thread. Kudos to 7th for rocking the last two season threads; hope you don't mind my cutting in this time around. I'm using the PukiWiki fall '07 listing as my guide here; if there's anything it left off that should be discussed (read: ragged on mercilessly), shout out. You can find the release dates for these shows at the PukiWiki. Let's get to it!

aria-ova.jpg

Aria the OVA: Arietta - The continuing saga of a show I ran screaming from the moment I saw the mascot critter show up. I'm fine with slice of life shows - Yokohama Shopping Log, anyone? - but, damn, that thing just got on my nerves. My pal Mike will be ecstatic to know there's more Aria en route, however. YouTube.

moonlight2.jpg

Moonlight Mile Season 2: Touch Down - I'm ashamed to admit that I am hopelessly behind on my anime viewing. The last two seasons? Barely anything. I'm working on catching up, however, and Moonlight Mile is near the top of my list. Glad to see this got a second season.

jenny.jpg

Kawaii! Jenny - AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! IT BURNS! YouTube. MY EYES!

dacapo2.jpg

D.C. 2 ~DaCapo 2~ - It's amazing how little I care about this crap. YouTube; it's from the game, but you get the idea.

bamboo.jpg

Bamboo Blade - Hot kendo action the way you like it! Or something. This looks pretty uninspired to me, but the director (looks ike this is his first big break) and scriptwriter (Kamichu!) have done competent work on decent shows, so who knows.

sketchbook.jpg

Sketchbook ~full color's~ - I'm dubious about the translation on the second half of that title. The show itself looks to be a gag manga adaptation and as the director worked on Kaliedo Star, I'm willing to give it a shot. YouTube. On the other hand, that trailer ain't looking so hot. Hrm.

blue-drop.jpg

Blue Drop: Tenshitachi no Gikyoku - Yet again, humanity faces a crisis that can only be confronted by Japanese schoolgirls. This time looks like they've got a big ship of some sort. From the creator of Yukikaze. YouTube.

kaiji.jpg

Kaiji - Fuck yeah! From the Akagi mangaka comes another series about...well, hell, I dunno, gambling I suppose. The details do not matter! The Akagi director is back! The Akagi scriptwriter is back and turns out to have completely rocked my world with all manner of old-school street cred. This show is going to rule all, by god. The only drawback so far is that the only video I can find on YouTube is from a pachinko slot machine, and I'll be damned if I'm going to link to it.

neuro.jpg

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro - "Private Evil Eye Neuro" sums it up. When our heroine's father is killed, she teams up with a demon that eats mysteries. No, really. Look, I'm just letting you know what the ANN link says. "Neuro longs to eat the ultimate mystery." Well, don't we all. This is a Shounen Jump title, so there ya go. YouTube provides an opening sequence that may be fan made, but gives you an idea.

labryinth.jpg

Suteki Tantei Labyrinth - Dunno much about this, except that mysteries are involved somehow. Hrm. The only thing the director's worked on that I care about is Video Girl Ai; he also worked on basically all of Slayers but, man, I could care less about Slayers. Eh.

night-wizard.jpg

Night Wizard: The Animation - Boy, that looks generic. YouTube video captured at Comiket, with all the quality that entails.

myself-yourself.jpg

Myself, Yourself - My complete lack of interest, your dating sim adaptation. YouTube.

mokke.jpg

Mokke - I dunno about you, but I'm etting that hard-working orphans vibe. Looks to be a supernatural mystery/slice-of-life show. The creators aren't anything terribly exciting. YouTube.

dragonaut.jpg

Dragonaut the Resonance - I'm guessing that thing behind 'em is a Dragonaut. Again, no one exciting is working on this. The promo video didn't do much for me either, though I did appreciate the gratuitous cheesecake they threw in there in a desperate attempt to sell the series. YouTube.

kodomo-no-jikan.jpg

Kodomo no Jikan - Oh, hell no. YouTube. No. More YouTube for the masochistic. No, no, a thousand times no.

Continued next post.

FnordChan

FnordChan

ninomiya.jpg

Goshuushousama Ninomiya-kun - That looks pretty bad, too, but it's not nearly as horrifying as Kodomo no Jikan.

yua.jpg

You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle - Well, it's You're Under Arrest, but the tone appears to be a bit more serious. Hrm. The director is uninspiring, but there's a good screenwriter involved, so who knows. YouTube video captured at Comiket.

clannad.jpg

Clannad - More worthless visual novel crap. YouTube.

shana2.jpg

Shakugan no Shana 2 - Never saw the original myself, but if you wanted a sequel, well, here you go. YouTube.

hamax.jpg

Tensai? Dr. Hamax - Dunno much about this, but it looks like a kid's series. The director worked on GitS:SAC and Aria, for what it's worth.

shugo-chara.jpg

Shugo Chara! - Oh, the saccharine. From the creator of DearS and Rozen Maiden. YouTube.

gundam00.jpg

Gundam 00 - Wherein Bandai decides to go after the fangirl market with both barrels, as it were. Direction from the guy who did FMA and Oh! Edo Rocket, the scriptwriter worked on Honey and Clover, Ryvius, and Trigun (as well as a lot of crap), soundtrack by Kenji Motherfuckin' Kawai, mech designs by a couple of new guys and an old-school Sunrise workhorse, and character designs by Yun Kouga. It's completely up in the air how this is going to turn out, but we're all going to be watching it anyway; just keep in mind that one of the characters is named "Allalujah Paptism". YouTube has the latest promo clip.

ef.jpg

ef - A Tale of Memories - Yet more worthless visual novel crap. As a bonus, one of the characters is squarely aimed at every fanboy who had a fetish for Rei-in-bandages from Evangelion. Great. YouTube.

kimikiss.jpg

KimiKiss Pure Rouge - I was hoping I could dismiss this as even more dating game crap, but it's from the director of Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile, and Major, so it may be half-decent. YouTube.

maihamugumi.jpg

Hatara Kids Mai Hamu Gumi - Kid's show.

maple.jpg

Maple Story - Korean MMORPG: The Animated Series. Animation by Madhouse, for what it's worth.

pururun.jpg

Pururun! Shizuka-chan Aha - I can only hope that this is a kid's show of some sort. All you fans dying for a glimpse of the new show are out of luck, but here's an old end theme courtesy of YouTube.

rental-magica.jpg

Rental Magica - I'm guessing this is a rehash of Ghost Sweeper Mikami. From the director of Bronze: Zetsuai Since 1989! YouTube.

prism-ark.jpg

Prism Ark - I believe this is based on an H-game. Looks like Masami Obari is slumming more than usual. YouTube.

minami-ke.jpg

Minami-Ke - The slice-of-life saga of three orphan sisters and their wacky hijinx. From the creator of Today in Class 5-2, which was pretty damn creepy. Sorry little girl, but you can keep your hug to yourself. YouTube.

Continued next post.

FnordChan

FnordChan

jyushin.jpg

Jyushin Enbu - Hero Tales - Shounen adventure from the Full Metal Alchemist mangaka, but with none of the FMA anime production staff involved. The director's credits is all over the place, ranging from old-school classics to new-school crap, and vice-versa. I'm unexcited, but if you're a FMA fan this may be up your alley.YouTube.

genshiken2.jpg

Genshiken 2nd Series - THANK YOU, JESUS!

moyasimon.jpg

Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture - One of my absolute top picks for the season. A friend of mine is a big fan of the manga which I enjoyed flipping through despite my accursed illiteracy. It's about a guy who can see microscopic organisms (like the ones pictures above) with the naked eye. He joins an agricultural school where he hangs out with hot women, slovenly grad students, wizened old professors, and a bunch of germs. Everyone's really into sake production and it's totally awesome. I'm completely stoked for this show. Now if only someone will bother to fansub it...

shion-oh.jpg

Shion no Oh - "The Flowers of Hard Blood" according to the English subtitle. Well, just so long as it isn't "The Flowers of Hard Gay". Ahem. When she was four years old, our heroines parents were murdered, the only clue at the scene a shogi board with pieces arranged on it. The shock of the incident caused her to lose her voice. She was adopted by the neighbors and her foster father - a professional shogi player - taught her the game. Now, at age 11, she's competing in a tournament where she's receiving death threats reminiscent of the clue at the scene of her parents murder. Could be interesting. Thanks to ANN for the recap.

koharu-biyori.jpg

Koharu Biyori - "Indian Summer" is the heartwarming story of a degenerate pervert, this robot housecleaning maid, and the costumes he puts her in. Cue oh-so-moe comedy.

ghost-hound.jpg

Ghost Hound - Production I.G. does occult horror and, boy, does it look great. The director of Serial Experiments Lain and Kino no Tabi is working with the guy who did the screenplay for Lain, based on a concept by Masamune Shirow. I'm definately intrigued. YouTube.

hidamari-sketch.jpg

Hidamari Sketch Special Edition - So, this season's unofficial theme seems to be girls with sketchbooks. This looks to be a series of OVAs based on the TV series from earlier this year, with the same team coming back to work on it again. It's based on a gag manga series about a girl who gets into her dream high school, makes friends, and so on and so forth. Here's the opening of the TV series courtesy of YouTube.

ichigo-ichie.jpg

Ichigo Ichie - Koibana Tomobana - Your guess is as good as mine, though at 5 minutes an episode it has to be some sort of gag show.

bonoron.jpg

Bonoron~Fushigi na Mori no Iitsutae~ - Kid's show.

straight-jacket.jpg

Straight Jacket - I know virtually nothing about this except that it's from the creator of Scrapped Priness and that based on the images shown in the story section of the website, it looks like a promising action OVA series.

votoms.jpg

Armored Trooper Votoms: Pailsen Files - Votoms is back! All the original staff are on board and ready to offer you more bleak mecha action the way you like it. The OVAs start hitting in late October. YouTube.

And that should be just about everything. Looks like we'll be getting Macross Frontier and the rest of Code Geass next year. If there's anything I've overlooked, by all means jump in and let us know.

I'm incredibly psyched for Genshiken 2 and Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture. When I finally get around to watching past episode 2, I'm sure I'll appreciate the second season of Moonlight Mile. If Kaiji is half as badass as Akagi it will completely rule. Votoms will completely rule no matter what. Ghost Hound looks very intriguing, Shion no Oh has potential, and I'll be tuning in to see what sort of mysterious beast Gundam 00 turns out to be. All in all, it's looking to be a pretty decent season.

Again, check the PukiWiki Fall 2007 page for release dates.

FnordChan

Beezy

Maple Story :lol

What should be worth watching besides Shakugan no Shana 2, Genshiken 2 and Gundam 00?

has a hard on over:

Genshiken 2 (HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHH!)

will watch:

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
Gundam 00

will check out:

Kaiji
KimiKiss Pure Rouge
Jyushin Enbu
Shion no Oh
Ghost Hound
Straight Jacket

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
except for gundam 00 and kaiji, the rest looks like crap. especially maple story... damn

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thanks of the post, I always enjoy these anime season threads. Here is my expected watch list.

Genshiken 2nd Series
Shion no Oh
Ghost Hound
Straight Jacket
Kaiji
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
Gundam 00

And I might give the new You're Under Arrest a chance...I have a feeling that I'll drop like half of these shows around Episode 7 like I always do. I'll cross my fingers that they can stand the test of time.

For some reason that Shion no Oh show is really calling out to me. The promo picture looked kinda lame at first glance, but the description has me very interested. Same goes for Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro...I must be in a serious mood for a mystery show.

EDIT: after watching the video, count me out on You're under arrest. No thank you.

NomarTyme

Yeah nothing for me too! but I'll wait for GAF impression though! anyways thanks FnordChan for a nice thread.

Although "Straight Jacket" look interesting

jman2050

Preemptive warning:

STAY AWAY FROM KODOMO NO JIKAN. I REPEAT, STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM KODOMO NO JIKAN AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ceres

Banned
Well, at least there's only one (Genshiken 2) to add to my 200gb of unwatched anime. Shakugan No Shana is among that so I'll hold off on #2 till I've at least watched that to gage my interest.

Barrage

I don't care if Bonoron is a kid's show, that art style is gorgeous.

In continuing my tradition of being at least one season late, i'm going to start watching Gurren Lagann soon. Hopefully the hype is warranted.

Man, I wish there was a Fall thread for north american animation....but is there even enough shows to bother?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
jman:

Preemptive warning:

STAY AWAY FROM KODOMO NO JIKAN. I REPEAT, STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM KODOMO NO JIKAN AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not anime, its loli softcore

Orin GA said:
Genshiken II saves this entire fall line up. Who is that new girl tho....

the blonde?

spoiler from the manga
I forget her name, but she is Ohno's friend from America, she is into hardcore dirty yaoi, the reason she is looking over Ogiue's shoulder is because Ogiue just happens to draw hardcore dirty yaoi.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One of these days I really need to see Genshiken.

Other than that...

Ghost Hound
Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture
Jyushin Enbu (probably)
KimiKiss Pure Rouge (solely for the director)
Gundam 00 (solely for the staff)

are probably the only things I'll be checking out. Maybe Neuro, though that's pretty borderline right now, and maybe Kaiji.

jman2050 said:
Preemptive warning:

When you said this, I let my morbid curiosity push me forward and click the youtube links...I mean...what's so bad...just looks like some harmless cute cartoon and between you and FnordChan I figured it was just terribly terribly dull.......but then....GOOD GOD NO!!

homer-screaming.gif

icecream

Public Health Threat
I like the unsubstantiated hate for game adaptations. But I guess it isn't a GAF new anime season thread without each series being opinionated according to the OP's tastes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
HomerSimpson-Man said:
When you said this, I let my morbid curiosity push me forward and click the youtube links...I mean...what's so bad...just looks like some harmless cute cartoon and between you and FnordChan I figured it was just terribly terribly dull.......but then....GOOD GOD NO!!
At least the song is pretty good?

Genshiken series 2, thank you.yes there is a god, praise teh lord. Gundam 00, please be good, please, Seed destiny left a bad taste in my mouth. otherwise nothing much this season worth a damn.

7Th

Hero Tales original source isn't exactly by FMA's mangaka, she just does the art. AND YOUR SUMMARIES FOR KAIJI AND NEURO ARE WEAK! Although sure the Neuro anime is going to be your usual far-fetched badly animated Jump adaptation.

As for Kaiji... it isn't even about Mahjong. :lol :D

Ghost Hound will probably be nice... shame the trailers looks pretty uninspired at this point. Gundam00's trailers have pretty ugly edition but still showcase the show is going to be really fun if nothing else, at least this times they aren't taking their own retarded pseudo-political setting seriously. Moyashimon will be nice if done correctly, I seriously love the sketchy yet confident art and the quirky viruses.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Man, I think I'm officially burnt out on anime, nothing remotely excites me.

Watch Gurren-Lagann and Dennou Coil. :D

FnordChan

7Th said:
AND YOUR SUMMARIES FOR KAIJI AND NEURO ARE WEAK!

Everyone is absolutely encouraged to elaborate on shows you know more about than I do. I'm stoked for Kaiji but just don't know much about it, so by all means jump in and plug the hell out of it. (Don't feel that you have to really discuss Neuro in detail, however.)

This goes for anyone who didn't like my casual dismissal of H-game (or, even worse, non-H visual novels that don't even have sex scenes to recommend them - though considering how loli many of the characters are perhaps that's a blessing) adaptations. Instead of bitching about how I'm not giving these shows a fair shake how about telling us why they're supposed to be good?

FnordChan

Shouta

Definitely checking Votoms, Straight Jacket, Ghost Hound, Dragonaut: The Resonance, and Rental Magica (which has insanely awesome light novel covers).

Busaiku

Gundam 00
Ghost Hound
Straight Jacket
Hidamari Sketch SE
You're Under Arrest! Full Throttle
Kaiji

That should be it.

Shouta

FnordChan said:
Dragonaut the Resonance - I'm guessing that thing behind 'em is a Dragonaut. Again, no one exciting is working on this. The promo video didn't do much for me either, though I did appreciate the gratuitous cheesecake they threw in there in a desperate attempt to sell the series. YouTube.

As far as I can tell, the series is invaders coming to Earth and is about the humans fight to repel them. The Dragonaut is at he center of it or something. I read the blurb about it summary but I don't recall exactly.

=Fnordchan]Rental Magica - I'm guessing this is a rehash of Ghost Sweeper Mikami. From the director of Bronze: Zetsuai Since 1989! YouTube.

Setup is pretty similar to GS Mikami. Iba Itsuki (kid with eyepatch) inherits a company, named Astral, from his father. It specializes in providing magical services to clients from various fields. The members in the cast pic represent various styles of magic that are used in the show.

Hm, I will probably give Bamboo Blade and Mokke a try at least, given that I enjoy the manga versions quite a bit. As for others, I'll see.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
sign me up for gundam and ghost hound... everything else looks pretty ehh.. oh, the germs show sounds interesting..

Dead

well not really...yet
Shouta said:
Definitely checking Votoms, Straight Jacket, Ghost Hound, Dragonaut: The Resonance, and Rental Magica (which has insanely awesome light novel covers).
I would have given Dragonaut a chance, but have you seen the trailer?

Even for Gonzo, the CG is *really* bad. I don't know if that's how it will look in the show, but if so it'd be downright embarassing :lol

Shouta

Dead said:
I would have given Dragonaut a chance, but have you seen the trailer?

Even for Gonzo, the CG is *really* bad. I don't know if that's how it will look in the show, but if so it'd be downright embarassing :lol

Yeah, I saw the trailer. I don't mind the bad CG. I mean really, all the CG we get is bad anyway so it's not gonna bother me much. The premise and the character designer is the reason why I want to see it, not excellent CG. :lol

icecream

Public Health Threat
FnordChan said:
nstead of bitching about how I'm not giving these shows a fair shake how about telling us why they're supposed to be good?
Isn't that the duty of the OP to such a topic? I'm not going to say all of them are going to be good, but there's at least a couple that rise above the generic harem setting with drama.

Teknopathetic said:
Not convincing me here.
That wasn't unexpected.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icecream said:
Isn't that the duty of the OP to such a topic? I'm sure there are various summaries abound, and should you not feel compelled to, at least be like 7th and complain about what you don't like rather than a generic write-off.
7th just bitches about animation studios. Fnord provides an equal level of information in a less annoying manner. ;)

icecream

Public Health Threat
Shouta said:
You should quit your whining and explain it if you think he isn't being fair.
Fine.

CLANNAD: KyoAni produced, Key work. (Creator of Kanon and AIR). Male delinquent runs into girl, gets changed by girl. Tears and Drama included.

ef: Love triangle between a male shoujo artist, his childhood friend, and a girl he met in a chance encounter. Drama is decent, but what stands out in this series is the music and the art.

D.C.II: Sequel to the premise that is Da Capo. Fast forward many many years later, put the protagonist as the adopted sibling, and give him two sisters. If you hated SS but liked the first season, you'll enjoy the story and its twists.

Bebpo

Banned
Gundam OO, Ghost Hound, Clannad, Moonlight Mile S2
Will watch Votoms OAV when it's finished.

Not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom