• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(in)famous review scores

For those referencing PDZ, let's just say ALL the major online publications (other than Hsu) got it completely wrong. 1UP - 9.0, Gamespot - 9.0, IGN - 8.4

Concept17

KingOfAllChaos said:
No, Halo 2 (Xbox version) got 9/10 for both its single-player and multiplayer, while the PC port got 6/10.

6/10 sounds right for SP in general. 8/10 overall would be best suited imo.

Joe Molotov

Nothing will top the Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door/Game Informer epic megaton.

"6.75, too kiddie to appeal to our target readers...uh wait, we didn't say that!"

meppi

NiGHTS takes the cake for me, but that was already mentioned.

So Excite Truck:

Gamespot: 6.8 out of 10
EDGE: 6/10
GameTrailers: 6.5/10
1UP: 7/10

etc.

ugh

jjasper

From what I remember about the C- wasn't the big complaint the camera? It is a justified complaint but the score was too harsh because of it.

Also wasn't there a confrontation about it.

Joe Molotov said:
I can't believe no one's mentioned Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door's epic review from Game Informer. :lol

"6.75, too kiddie to appeal to our target readers."

I mentioned it on the first page:p

Tiktaalik

Halverson's acid trip Cybermorph review. It was given around a 90/100 I believe and game of the month. I have the scans of the article somewhere on my computer at home.

EGM in comparison gave it around 50%.

meppi said:
NiGHTS takes the cake for me, but that was already mentioned.

So Excite Truck:

Gamespot: 6.8 out of 10
EDGE: 6/10
GameTrailers: 6.5/10
1UP: 7/10

etc.

ugh

Deserved. Stupid fun (At most) and not much else. It had like 3 modes and all of them were paired down to barely anything.

Tiktaalik said:
Halverson's acid trip Cybermorph review. It was given around a 90/100 I believe and game of the month. I have the scans of the article somewhere on my computer at home.

EGM in comparison gave it around 50%.
The text in that review is some of the best shit I've ever read in a game mag.

IGN's 9.2 for DOAX volleyball is a travesty as well. They actually said "the volleyball engine is remarkable." I still can't get over it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
eXistor said:
Meh, it deserved it imo.

QFT. Kingdom Hearts 2 was my biggest gaming disappointment.

meppi

Livin_Lovin said:
Deserved. Stupid fun (At most) and not much else. It had like 3 modes and all of them were paired down to barely anything.

That's BS, plain and simple.

My favorite racing game ever only has 4 tracks and 3 different cars. Who gives a crap about 2 million useless options to make the game seem bigger than it is when you can make it compact and keep every aspect of it perfect.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
a Master Ninja said:
Twilight Princess getting an 8.8 shouldn't have the been the spectacle it was on the internet. The text of the review mostly justified why the reviewer gave it that score.

Actually, you have that backwards. The score was one thing (especially after playing) but the review itself was pretty crap.

Jan said:
Cristian Gamers reviews

Ninja Gaiden

Graphics -- 10

Sound -- 9

Playability -- 10

adjustment to the Christian moral -- 0

Overall -- 0
WHAT?! :lol

Post a link, please. I'd LOVE to read this. :lol
tanod said:
5.0 - Killzone: Liberation review at 1UP is another
No, this one's pretty correct, actually.

border

dark10x said:
The C- for Ninja Gaiden was insane as well. In retrospect, I just can't even believe that such a score was awarded as the game really is incredible.
Did they ever explain/apologize or do anything? I know Patrick Klepek caught a lot of shit for it during interviews with Itagaki (even though he had nothing to do with it).

Regardless, no online mode, the multiplayer didn't allow for computer controlled AI, very few tracks, options, etc. Besides, you people freak out as if a 6-7/10 can't be considered fun. It's a good fun little game, but it's still little. That's why it got the scores it did.

Livin_Lovin said:
Regardless, no online mode, the multiplayer didn't allow for computer controlled AI, very few tracks, options, etc. Besides, you people freak out as if a 6-7/10 can't be considered fun. It's a good fun little game, but it's still little. That's why it got the score it did.
I think you and I fundamentally disagree on what makes a game good, but hey - diversity is the strength of humanity.

Rolf NB

dark10x said:
No way. Halo 2 had a great campaign that receives far too much hate.
You're wrong. Play a real 80% fps and see how it stacks up. Heck, play Republic Commando and see how it stacks up.

Splatt

IGN God Hand's review. I almost didn't buy the game because of it. Lesson learned. I'm also glad someone took their time to make a video showing how much IGN was wrong about the game.

meppi

Segata Sanshiro said:
You and your SEGA Rally.
What can I say. :D

Livin_Lovin said:
Regardless, no online mode, the multiplayer didn't allow for computer controlled AI, very few tracks, options, etc. Besides, you people freak out as if a 6-7/10 can't be considered fun. It's a good fun little game, but it's still little. That's why it got the scores it did.
Glad I'm more or less skipping this generation. Not every game has to be an epic 60 hour plus undertaking.

Frillen

There's really no competition.

Mario Kart Double Dash 7.9

Fran 7.9 Mirabella.

Suicides over at the GCNGB at IGN etc.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Didn't some GameSpot reviewer totally slam that PC online-only MMOFPS (planetside? not sure...) so then the developer looked at the server logs and saw the reviewer had only played the game like two hours or something similar?

Gattsu25

Banned
Splatt said:
IGN God Hand's review. I almost didn't buy the game because of it. Lesson learned. I'm also glad someone took their time to make a video showing how much IGN was wrong about the game.
link?

meppi said:
Glad I'm more or less skipping this generation. Not every game has to be an epic 60 hour plus undertaking.

Nor did I say it needed to be. It can be fun. But it's missing key features from already established staples of the racing genre that are not hard to put in the game.

Oblivion said:
Actually, you have that backwards. The score was one thing (especially after playing) but the review itself was pretty crap.
Hmm, just saw the review for the second time ever. It appears as though you are correct.

Rolf NB

GDJustin said:
Didn't some GameSpot reviewer totally slam that PC online-only MMOFPS (planetside? not sure...) so then the developer looked at the server logs and saw the reviewer had only played the game like two hours or something similar?
Welcome to modern journalism. You don't analyze and evaluate stuff, you just relay what you've heard from your contacts, in your own words preferably but not necessarily.

MC Safety

Nich Maragos wholly slammed "The Guy Game" and the idiot developers went and put Nich's picture on their Web site, labeling him the "dim bulb of the minute" or something like that.

Nich was too tactful not to stomp them flat. And they didn't think to mess with Xbox Nation's review of the game, which was a zero out of 10.

"'What’s the matter,' a woman asks during The Guy Game, 'don’t you want to see titties?' And the answer to this, the question for the ages, is no. Not if the aforementioned titties come after 40 minutes of bad trivia posed to 'hotties' of marginal heat and cranial capacity, the end result of which leaves you feeling as if you’re abusing retarded children."

Rolf NB

Brakara said:
Why single out 1up? It received twenty-six 10/10s from various publications and sites (according to Gamerankings).
Shane Kim, Microsoft Press Conference, E3 2007:
"Also, our games receive the highest average review scores of any publisher."
[the sound of a silent audience trying to figure out why that might be so]

Top Bottom