• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS off screen video

Tristam

Damn, that actually does look nice! Even the Dream world looks good (though the Nightmaren battles still look better).

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Man, I wish this would run on my work computer. Not to sound like a better adjective than a broken record but can someone put this on YouTube?

JoeFu

Banned
Does the guy playing just suck or something?

I never played Nights before, but watching videos on Youtube, isn't he supposed to be chaining those rings he's going through?

Tristam

I think part of the reason it looks so good is that the textures actually look great -- very unlike the N64-quality textures in the Splash Garden-lookalike stage.

Lobster

Banned
The water and trees look pretty damn good. I can't believe im commenting on trees and water though. The whole game looks so great!

OMG THE CAVE! When the guy went into the cave it looked so beautiful!

Tristam said:
I think part of the reason it looks so good is that the textures actually look great -- very unlike the N64-quality textures in the Splash Garden-lookalike stage.

Actually I think this is the same level as it includes that boy.

Tristam

Oh, and I guess that the glass/gold-trimmed containers are the new Ideya Palaces. Kinda weird.

Lobster said:
Actually I think this is the same level as it includes that boy.

Eh? In the original, each kid had multiple Dreams. This is definitely a different level.

there was a lot of doubt and hate about this game on GAF that made me feel maybe this would turn to crap on a stick but damn seeing that vid I want to try it if not buy it.

I must get impressions

Still not looking as fluid and responsive as the original Nights (whether this has to do with the player's inaptitude or not), but allow me to say that, holy shit, it does look great indeed.

Arde5643

Since I've never played the original NiGHTS, can someone tell me what the hell is the gameplay in NiGHTS about?

While the video looks interesting, I still have no clue what the gameplay is about.

Stormbringer said:
Still not looking as fluid and responsive as the original Nights, but allow me to say that, holy shit, it does look great indeed.
There are some kinks, but part of that can be attributed to the player I'm sure.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
titiklabingapat said:
Did you happen to play it at TGS?

We wants impressions, pretty please?

I have a job that won't let me get off so I won't be able to try till this weekend.

PolyGone

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Since I've never played the original NiGHTS, can someone tell me what the hell is the gameplay in NiGHTS about?

While the video looks interesting, I still have no clue what the gameplay is about.

basically there are orbs which you have to collect in order to break open checkpoints, by going through the rings you earn more points to get a higher grade. Once you open a checkpoint, you start the next part of the stage, otherwise you go through and do another "lap" until you collect enough orbs to progress. These stages are broken up by a boss stage, which usually takes place in a free-roaming arena.

as mentioned below, its definitely meant to be a time-score attack kind of game, so you can replay the levels quite a bit before it gets boring.

Tristam

Arde5643 said:

It's like...Sonic the Hedgehog flying. It's very much a time attack, score-based kind of game. Instead of rings you collect a certain number (20) of those blue spheres and bring them to a Metroid-looking thing called an Ideya Capture (which is destroyed when you enter it with at least 20 blue spheres). Then you return to a little building called the Ideya Palace within the time limit. Then you're assigned some kind of grade for your performance. There are a bunch of ways to get extra points.

Arde5643

@ Tristam and PolyGone:

Since the game is supposed to be a flying Sonic, there's no cheap insta-death pitfalls, right?

That's the worst thing I hate in the new Sonic games.

RagnarokX

PolyGone said:
basically there are orbs which you have to collect in order to break open checkpoints, by going through the rings you earn more points to get a higher grade. Once you open a checkpoint, you start the next part of the stage, otherwise you go through and do another "lap" until you collect enough orbs to progress. These stages are broken up by a boss stage, which usually takes place in a free-roaming arena.
It looks like they changed that. It looks like now you have to go around until you catch up to a nightmaren riding a giant bird and steal a key from it, then you use the key to open the ideya capture.

PolyGone

Banned
Arde5643 said:
@ Tristam and PolyGone:

Since the game is supposed to be a flying Sonic, there's no cheap insta-death pitfalls, right?

That's the worst thing I hate in the new Sonic games.

if you take enough hits (can't remember how it works) you revert back to the human form (one of the kids) then you have to make your way back to the start to transform back into Nights before a giant clock of doom tracks you down (when it touches you, you're dead). I think I maybe reverted to a kid once or twice in the entire time I played the first Nights. The main thing you have to worry about is time running out.

RagnarokX said:
It looks like they changed that. It looks like now you have to go around until you catch up to a nightmaren riding a giant bird and steal a key from it, then you use the key to open the ideya capture.

yeah, you're right it does look that way... just splainin' the first Nights formula... badly, I might add. :p

Lobster

Banned
AniHawk said:
Holy crap. That looks beautiful in motion. And dare I say, well designed? It must be a trick.

Looks like your going to have to adjust your "Wii games that will suck" list :D

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Man, it feels like everyone is pulling a prank on me because I can't watch the video and then when somebody finally puts it up on YouTube, it will look like crap and at the end someone screams, "GOTCHA BITCH!"

Arde5643

AlternativeUlster said:
Man, it feels like everyone is pulling a prank on me because I can't watch the video and then when somebody finally puts it up on YouTube, it will look like crap and at the end someone screams, "GOTCHA BITCH!"
Even Anihawk said it looks beautiful and you say you don't believe him?

Oh right, it's Anihawk...

Lobster

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:

You can try downloading?

wmv
mov

allen1982

Banned
After watching this video, I can confirm this will be the Game of the Year for me. If I had to choose between Super Mario Galaxy and NiGHTS, it is NiGHTS without a doubt. I mean, it looks exactly like the original but with better graphics, and I had more fun with the original NiGHTS than I ever had with any Mario games! I am definitely buying this on day 1, which means probably December 11th or 12th since we break street date here in Hong Kong pretty much with every single game! Now the only thing I want is a theme song as cheesy but as catchy as the original ending theme...

By the way the guy playing it DOES SUCK like hell, he can't even chain 2 links together? And it seems like he went around 2 or 3 times before destroying any capsules. I can only imagine how awesome this game will look when someone who knows how to fly beautifully gets to play it!

PolyGone

Banned
allen1982 said:
After watching this video, I can confirm this will be the Game of the Year for me. If I had to choose between Super Mario Galaxy and NiGHTS, it is NiGHTS without a doubt. I mean, it looks exactly like the original but with better graphics, and I had more fun with the original NiGHTS than I ever had with any Mario games! I am definitely buying this on day 1, which means probably December 11th or 12th since we break street date here in Hong Kong pretty much with every single game! Now the only thing I want is a theme song as cheesy but as catchy as the original ending theme...

By the way the guy playing it DOES SUCK like hell, he can't even chain 2 links together? And it seems like he went around 2 or 3 times before destroying any capsules. I can only imagine how awesome this game will look when someone who knows how to fly beautifully gets to play it!

its pretty much a repeat of the NiGHTS / SM64 debate... and last time, Mario won out. I think he will again this time too, but it honestly doesn't take anything away from NiGHTS 2.

allen1982

Banned
By the way, does anyone still have that issue of GameFan from years ago, if I remember correctly, they reviewed both Mario 64 and NiGHTS in the same issue and they both got identical score, but I remember the reviewers were saying NiGHTS was more creative or something like that.

Edit:
PolyGone I typed up this post before you mentioned Mario 64. I guess we are thinking of the same thing :D

OgnodoD

allen1982 said:
Now the only thing I want is a theme song as cheesy but as catchy as the original ending theme...

That song has been stuck in my head the past few days. (Ever since the vid a few days ago, I've been in major NiGHTS mode.) I sang it outloud at a grocery store and got some strange looks from the fellow shoppers.

PolyGone

Banned
allen1982 said:
By the way, does anyone still have that issue of GameFan from years ago, if I remember correctly, they reviewed both Mario 64 and NiGHTS in the same issue and they both got identical score, but I remember the reviewers were saying NiGHTS was more creative or something like that.

Edit:
PolyGone I typed up this post before you mentioned Mario 64. I guess we are thinking of the same thing :D

I think Mario 64 scored higher actually, but only by a point or something. Basically they said Miyamoto is a game designer god, but Naka creates games that go right to the pleasure center of your brain or something... :lol

allen1982

Banned
OgnodoD said:
That song has been stuck in my head the past few days. (Ever since the vid a few days ago, I've been in major NiGHTS mode.) I sang it outloud at a grocery store and got some strange looks from the fellow shoppers.

I think I was in 5th grade (ok it was 7th grade) at the time and I brought the CD to school to listen to and people called me gay because kids at my age at that time were all into hip-hop and rap or something...alrite I don't even know why I mentioned this. At all.

aoi tsuki

Beautiful. If my Saturn wasn't packed i'd be playing NiGHTS now.

A couple of minor gripes:
1. When you pass through a tree it should turn it transparent like it would in pretty much any other game.
2. i was really hoping springing off of the dandelions would result in them dispersing like actual dandelions. Would've been a neat effect.

Overall, it looks great. It's too bad the guy playing obviously hasn't played NiGHTS because it completely breaks the flow of the game. They should really include an in-game tutorial to teach new players.

allen1982

Banned
PolyGone said:
I think Mario 64 scored higher actually, but only by a point or something. Basically they said Miyamoto is a game designer god, but Naka creates games that go right to the pleasure center of your brain or something... :lol

Yeah thanks, that's pretty much how I remembered it too, but I honestly stopped playing Mario 64 after a few hours, it just wasn't my thing, the much faster-paced NiGHTS just overtook my life at that time.

Top Bottom