• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 2007 Playoffs Thread: Now With 100% Less Mets and Frankman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Banned
After a thrilling end to the regular season, we're ready for the post-season to start up. It's a shame if your team didn't make it, but take solace in the fact that we're looking at a Mets-less post-season and a Frank-less thread! It's the little things, really.

Now, before I list the first round schedules and my picks, I'm gonna tell you who I'm rooting for since my Bravos didn't make it. I'm pulling for the Indians and the Cubbies. Sorry Em, but I think it would be cool if we had an Indians-Cubs WS.

On to the divisional round!

Los Angeles Angels vs. Boston Red Sox

vladimir_guerrero.jpg
vs.
tx_ortiz_ws_g1_ap.jpg

1. Wed, Oct 3 – at Boston, 6:30 pm EDT (TBS)
2. Fri, Oct 5 – at Boston, 8:30 pm EDT (TBS)
3. Sun, Oct 7 – at LA Angels, 3:00 pm EDT (TBS)
4.* Mon, Oct 8 – at LA Angels, 9:30 pm EDT (TBS)
5.* Wed, Oct 10 – at Boston, 8:30 pm EDT (TBS)

New York Yankees vs. Cleveland Indians

200708282202793785142-pf.widec.jpg
vs.
0514_large.jpg

1. Thu, Oct 4 – at Cleveland, 6:30 pm EDT (TBS)
2. Fri, Oct 5 – at Cleveland, 5:00 pm EDT (TBS)
3. Sun, Oct 7 – at NY Yankees, 6:30 pm EDT (TBS)
4.* Mon, Oct 8 – at NY Yankees, 6:00 pm EDT (TBS)
5.* Wed, Oct 10 – at Cleveland, 5:00 pm EDT (TBS)

Chicago Cubs vs. Arizona Diamondbacks

00a77.jpg
vs.
webb0407susan_walshap.jpg

1. Wed, Oct 3 – at Arizona, 10:00 pm EDT (TBS)
2. Thu, Oct 4 – at Arizona, 10:00 pm EDT (TBS)
3. Sat, Oct 6 – at Chi Cubs, 6:00 pm EDT (TBS)
4.* Sun, Oct 7 – at Chi Cubs, 1:00 pm EDT (TNT)
5.* Tue, Oct 9 – at Arizona, 10:00 pm EDT (TBS)

Colorado Rockies vs. Philladelphia Phillies

todd-helton-2.jpg
vs.
09.jpg

1. Wed, Oct 3 – at Philadelphia, 3:00 pm EDT (TBS)
2. Thu, Oct 4 – at Philadelphia, 3:00 pm EDT (TBS)
3. Sat, Oct 6 – at Colorado, 9:30 pm EDT (TBS)
4.* Sun, Oct 7 – at Colorado, 10:00 pm EDT (TBS)
5.* Tue, Oct 9 – at Philadelphia, 6:30 pm EDT (TBS)

My picks:

ALDS:
Boston over Angels in 4
Cleveland over Yankees in 5

NLDS:
Cubs over D-backs in 4
Rockies over Phillies in 3

LCS:
Cleveland over Boston in 6
Cubs over Rockies in 7

WS:
Cleveland over Cubs in 5

ToxicAdam

Steve Phillips picked the Indians to beat the Yankees. You may want to alter your projections.

LDS

Angels over Sawks
Indians over Yanks

Rockies over Phills
Cubs over D'backs

LCS

Angels over Indians

Rockies over Cubs

World Serious

Angels over Rockies

I think my Cubbies can take Arizona. Honestly, Arizona shouldn't even be in the playoffs with their run differential as they gave up 20 more runs than they scored. They got really lucky in 1-run games. After that, who knows? I do think someone from the American league is going to take it though.

ALDS
Yankees over Indians in 4
Red Sox over Angels in 3

NLDS
Phillies over Rockies in 5
Diamondbacks over Cubs in 5

ALCS
Yankees over Red Sox in 7

NLCS
Phillies over Diamondbacks in 6

WS
Yankees over Phillies in 5

Believe.

Triumph

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Steve Phillips picked the Indians to beat the Yankees. You may want to alter your projections.
Yeah, but his confidence points have the Yanks winning, so he's kind of disagreeing with himself lolz.

pollo

Banned
Fuck Steve Phillips.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Yanks are out in the first round.

Regardless we still have some great NL teams that are playing...so I'll be entertained for awhile. (Cept the DBacks) Fuck the DBacks

Predictions:

Cleveland vs NY
Angels vs Sox

DBacks vs Cubs
Phillies vs Rockies <---- GAME TO WATCH!!!!

ALCS/NLCS

Cleveland vs Sox
Phillies vs DBacks

World Series

Cleveland vs Phillies

That Phillies vs Rockies series is going to be awesome.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
ALDS

Yankees vs. Indians: I see this being a relatively short series, Cleveland wins because of the pitching in 4 games, 3-1.

Red Sox vs. Angels: Clean sweep, Sox in 3, 3-0.

NLDS

Phillies vs. Rockies: I'd say having to play a NL wild card game doesn't favor the Rockies, Phillies in 4, 3-1.

Diamonbacks vs. Cubs: Probably the closest of all the series in my mind, but the Cubs pull it out in 5, 3-2.

ALCS

Indians vs. Red Sox: 6 game series, in which Dusty P proves to the world he's a straight "BALLER" and David Ortiz returns to form with the Sox win, 4-2.

NLCS

Phillies vs. Cubs: 7 game series, where Lou gets ejected three times -- however, his actions only inspire his team to win, 4-3.

World Series

Red Sox vs. Cubs: 6 game series, where unfortunately the Cubbies have to deal with a long plane ride back home to contemplate their lost, in which Crazy Lou tries to grab the ball from the dugout as a game souvenir, and gets called for interference. Sox win, 4-2.

ToxicAdam

Here's where a lot of pundits are sleeping on the Indians. Their bullpen.

It's too easy to look at Borowski's numbers and say "oh hoh oh .. he sucks". But if you look at their other three guys:

Betancourt 79 innings 9 BB 80 K 1.47 ERA

Perez 60 innings 15 BB 62 K 1.78 ERA

Lewis 39 innings 10 BB 34 K 2.15 ERA

I don't think you'd find a better three relievers in post-season play. If Borowski shits the bed in one game, you can easily slot Betancourt back there and not miss a beat for the rest of the run. You factor this with their starting pitchers that give you 7 innings almost every game, and you can see how they made the post season.

Playoff time.
IT'S A CELEBRATION, BITCHES.

Predictions:

Red Sox v. Angels in 5 games. Beckett throws a strong Game 1, and Manny breaks out the big lumber (which in turn makes Ortiz and JD Drew unavoidable). Ash Ketchum gets owned once the Angels get on base (he's a different pitcher when runners are one) and Hamburger Curt can't do more than 4 and change innings, revealing that tasty underbelly. Things get interesting, but Red Sox pull it out.

Yankees over Indians in 4 games. Yankees have owned the Indians up and down the field all year this year. The middle relief pitching for the Bombers is weak, but Wang and Andy'll give you 6/7 strong every time out, negating that weakness. The bats are powered up, and the Torre-proof bench makes it hard for lefties to dominate the Yanks like they normally would. Indian starters and relief are very good...but, surprisingly, so are the Yanks (except for Clemens; he'll shit the bed in game 3). If the starters hold their end of the bargain up, the bats make this murder.

Cubs over DBacks in 4. The Cubs have been waiting for this since the events of 2003. They are *not* going to fuck this up...yet. Cubs starting pitching is good, and experienced in the postseason. The bats are a little inconsistent...but the D-backs are more so. Soriano will probably go apeshit, too; he hasn't been there since his Yankee days, so he's going to swing for the fences all day everyday.

Rockies over Phillies in 5. As excellent as it was for the Phils to destroy the Mets in the end, they can't sustain their "team of destiny" power over a team with even more of that shit than they have. Rockies offense is also terrifying; Phils pitching fucks up once (and they will...they almost always do), and some crooked numbers are getting up on the scoreboard.

After this, we get another Yanks-Sox ALCS and a Rockies - Cubs NLCS.
Yankees aren't going to fail again versus the Red Sox after the events of 2004; moreover, the Yankees have beaten their asses hard the last half of the season. Yanks in 6 there.

In Rockies v. Cubs, I'm thinking the Rox luck runs out. Cubs in 6.

World Series is Yanks v. Cubs, and you know I've got to go Yankees. How many games? I'll say 5.

LET'S GO YANKEES.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Wow what a dumbass your piece of shit team didn't make the playoffs for the second year in a row. Misleading thread tittle FTL.

Angels over Sox.
Indians over Yanks.

Rockies over Phillies.
Diamondbacks over Cubs.

Angels over Indians.
Diamondbacks over Rockies.

Angels over Diamondbacks. :D

Enron

Banned
Qwerty710710 said:
Wow what a dumbass your piece of shit team didn't make the playoffs for the second year in a row. Misleading thread tittle FTL.

:lol

Can we ban this guy instead, and bring back Frankman? This dude is like the Fortified_Concept of Sports threads :/

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Pulling for Cubs all the way. I hear Konex thinks the Yankees's are going to take it all the way.

Qwerty710710 said:

:lol :lol :lol

Man, there is nothing more correct then a Mets-free postseason.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
captmcblack said:
:lol :lol :lol

Man, there is nothing more correct then a Mets-free postseason.

You're lucky Tigers shit the bed at the end of the season. Yankees got lucky they'll be one and out just like the Phillies.

Triumph

Banned
Qwerty710710 said:
You're lucky Tigers shit the bed at the end of the season. Yankees got lucky they'll be one and out just like the Phillies.
Which is still, technically, better than the Mets. Who choked away a 7 game lead with 17 to play.

Yeah, because when the Tigers were 3 to 5 games behind us for the entirety of the month, they were totally threatening.

Or was it when the Yankees had the best record in all of baseball since May 30th? Or after the all-star break? :lol

Anyway, Mets fans don't even have a postseason, so they don't get to throw stones. New York JV, watch and learn.

Triumph

Banned
captmcblack said:
Yeah, because when the Tigers were 3 to 5 games behind us for the entirety of the month, they were totally threatening.

Or was it when the Yankees had the best record in all of baseball since May 30th? Or after the all-star break? :lol

Anyway, Mets fans don't even have a postseason, so they don't get to throw stones. New York JV, watch and learn.
Well, you need to look at it from a Mets fan's perspective. Obviously a 7 game lead wasn't enough for them, so 3-5 is total panic button time.

yacobod

Banned
ryan dumpster and joe borowski facing off in opposing closer roles in the world series would make for some high drama

i hope the cubs do it this year

i was out at wrigley in 2003 for game 6 of the marlins series, that train ride home was brutal after the game, a stomach punch to the entire fan base

firex

All right, time for the best playoffs in pro sports!
Indians over Yanks - I think the Yanks will be shocked by this Indians team. They beat the crap out of the Indians in the regular season, but I don't think they ever faced CC. Konex is going to hit A-Rod like an angry tranny punch to the groin.
Red Sox over Angels - This one could be close, but I'm afraid the Angels don't have enough GRIT to outhustle the Red Sox and beat them, unfortunately. I'd love to see it happen, though, because the sooner the 2 biggest payroll teams are out of it in MLB the funnier it is.

D-Backs over Cubs - I don't know, maybe Lou can pull some magic with this team and they'll go into it doing well. They did at least have a nice easy sweep of the Reds :)() to head into the playoffs, so they're probably feeling more confident. But the D-Backs have some excellent pitching, and despite joking about the Angels' grit and hustle, the D-Backs really could win this just because they know how to win close games, and can probably grind out a close series. Plus I have to say that I like their pitching just a little bit more.
Rockies over Phillies - They'll probably drop game 1 after last night's awesome game, but the Rockies just strike me as the surprise team that will take everyone by storm.

Indians over Red Sox - I think the Sox pitching won't hold up as well over this series, especially their bullpen.
D-Backs over Rockies - The rockies certainly didn't luck into the playoffs, no matter what you say about the last game (they won like 13 out of their last 14 to get in) but I think the D-Backs will prove to be the superior team.

Indians over D-Backs - aside from having to automatically favor the AL team, I think the Indians will overpower these guys.

The only other scenario I am willing to accept is the Cubs winning it all, and only because that's like a once in a lifetime event.

yacobod said:
ryan dumpster and joe borowski facing off in opposing closer roles in the world series would make for some high drama

:lol

if Brad Lidge, Mark Wohlers and Armando Benitez could make a special appearance, you could cause a rift in spacetime with the power of their blown saves.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
captmcblack said:

Watch and learn and lose in the first round again, and for the third straight year. I'll pass, sometimes the best team doesn't win like the Mets.

Enron

Banned
Qwerty710710 said:
Watch and learn and lose in the first round again, and for the third straight year. I'll pass, sometimes the best team doesn't win like the Mets.

"Best teams" don't blow 7 game leads heading into the last 3 weeks of the season.

Oh man, Mets fans KILL me.

Qwerty710710 said:

Sometimes the best team gets swept by the Nats at home in the last week of the season with a playoff spot on the li-- OH WAIT THAT MEANS YOUR TEAM SUCKS ASS DOESNT IT.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm thinkin the sox will take the angels, but the only way they'll go on past that is if clevland takes the yanks, the yankees are bostons damn kryptonite, the last 10 meetings have been pretty much pathetic.

ToxicAdam

Triumph said:
That doesn't compute, TA. The NL has David Eckstein.

Sorry .. facial hair or unkempt appearance is one of the pre-requisites for GRIT. Dave Eckstein hasn't shaved since prom night. He is a GRIT pretender.

Kuroyume

Banned
ALDS

Angels over Red Sox in 5
Indians over Yankees in 4

ALCS

Angels over Indians in 6

NLDS

Phils over Rockies in 5
Cubs over Diamondbacks in 5

NLCS

Phils over Cubs in 7

WS

Angels over Phils in 5

P.S.

KONEX RED SOX
KONEX YANKEES
KONEX INDIANS
KONEX PHILS
KONEX CUBS

capt.141606f5ce1b40959404e86aa129beeb.mets_collapse_baseball_nys113.jpg

Even Carlos Delgado knows what's up. Nothing says "my team's a bunch of losers" like leaving for the season with your rival's jersey under your arm. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just want to get in on the thread.

I won't say who I think will win each series, but I think the Red Sox will win the WS. :\

LETS GO METS

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Farewell regular season thread :(

Predictions:

Native Americans over Yanquis in 5
Sawx over Balco in 4

Cubs over D-Bags in 4
Philolies over Rockies in 5

Sawx over Native Americans in 6
Cubs over Philolies in 7

Sawx over Cubs in 5

LET'S GO RED SAWX
*CLAP-CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP*

Also, Triumph, your new avatar hurts me deeply and I hope that you suffer because of it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Indians over Yankees in 5.
Sox over Angelols in 4.

Sox over Indians in 6.

Phillies over Rockies in 5.
Cubs over Diamondbacks in 4.

Phillies over Cubs in 7.

Sox over Phillies in 5.

Zep

Banned
Pitchers
Antonio Alfonseca; Clay Condrey; Tom Gordon; Cole Hamels; Kyle Kendrick; Kyle Lohse; Jose Mesa; Jamie Moyer; Brett Myers; J.C. Romero

Catchers
Rod Barajas; Chris Coste; Carlos Ruiz

Infielders
Greg Dobbs; Wes Helms; Ryan Howard; Tadahito Iguchi; Abraham Nunez; Jimmy Rollins; Chase Utley

Outfielders
Michael Bourn; Pat Burrell; Aaron Rowand; Shane Victorino; Jayson Werth

Game 1: King Cole

Game 2: Kendrick

Game 3: Lohse

Game 4: Moyer

Triumph

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:
Also, Triumph, your new avatar hurts me deeply and I hope that you suffer because of it.
Hey dood, I have to sport it for a week because I lost a bet with bionic in the nfl thread re: Lord Brady's stats for the MNF game. Trust me, I'm a Brady devotee.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Triumph said:
Hey dood, I have to sport it for a week because I lost a bet with bionic in the nfl thread re: Lord Brady's stats for the MNF game. Trust me, I'm a Brady devotee.

Ah, in that case, carry on. May the Lord bless your Braves in all their future endeavors.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dr. Strangelove said:
Ah, in that case, carry on. May the Lord bless your Braves in all their future endeavors.

especially against that other team

what was their name

oh yeah mets lol

Karakand

ConfusingJazz said:
There is not enough grit in this thread.
bfnbrn.jpg

The Angels have sufficient grit to carry the day. I...

2wgeslk.gif

I GOTTA DO WHAT?

xmmjhi.gif

Just hopefully they don't encounter the First Nationers, their grit is actually fairly intimidating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom