• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

RubberJohnny
(11-23-2007, 09:45 PM)
A certain point of contention, Nintendo recently held a 'Mind, Body and Console' conference in London, which was covered by Edge. The full article is interesting and worth a read, but this small extract in particular is worthy of note.

One slide of Dawn Paine's [UK Head of Marketing] presentation outlined the ways in which gaming has traditionally been perceivedas 'an addiction that removes the player from reality'. A picture of a long haired nerd, screaming as he gripped a control pad, appeared on the projection screen, the surrounding space soon ppulated by the phrases 'glazed over', 'isolated' and other negative terminology.

Rather than debunk such perceptions, Nintendo simply suggested it was courting a different audience, and the company would soon come to stand for 'self development, health, beauty and fitness'.

This paradigm shift, to use Paine's terms, would come as the result of Nintendo's Touch! Generation software, which unlike traditional gamng, doesn't "replace your life - it connects with it". Paine's assertion that Nintendo wasn't abandoning the traditional gamer was supported by jus three examples: Metroid Prime 3, Phantom Hourglass and Mario Galaxy.

Clearly there's nothing wrong with engaging a new audience - indeed, it's massively profitable - but at the same time such efforts seem to dismiss the worth of the medium prior to this influx of accessible, functional but artistically shallow titles.

Grayman
(11-23-2007, 09:48 PM)
How can "artistically shallow" ever be a good thing to list?
PantherLotus
Professional Schmuck
(11-23-2007, 09:48 PM)
So they pretty much hate NeoGAF.
the truth
Banned
(11-23-2007, 09:50 PM)

Originally Posted by PantherLotus

So they pretty much hate NeoGAF.

lmaoooo
birdchili
(11-23-2007, 09:50 PM)
yeah!??... well good luck with that.

...oh wait...
Peru
(11-23-2007, 09:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Grayman

How can "artistically shallow" ever be a good thing to list?

It's clearly not listed as such?

EDGE has a point, a simple one - and it's the fact that PR teams are shameless - they always have been and they still are in Nintendo's offices.
beef3483
(11-23-2007, 09:51 PM)
Prime 3, Phantom Hourglass, and Galaxy in one year is pretty good.

Also, if there is no link, you should at least specify where you're getting you're quotes from.

Did Nintendo say 'solitary anti-social teens' or was that Edge's interpretation?
Last edited by beef3483; 11-23-2007 at 09:59 PM.
SapientWolf
(11-23-2007, 09:52 PM)
It's just marketing. I wouldn't even consider the Wii a party console anymore. At least, not until they release Brawl and update Mario Party. And yes, most people are still going to look like spaced out mental patients while they're playing Mario Galaxy. It's just the nature of the hobby.
The Innocent X
Banned
(11-23-2007, 09:53 PM)
Dear GAF, So long and thanks for all the money suckers.

Love Nintendo
painey
(11-23-2007, 09:55 PM)
lol.. her name is D. Paine.. and so is mine. Wierd.
Chiggs
Oh that my words were now spoken!
Oh that they were printed in a book!
(11-23-2007, 09:56 PM)
Man, imagine how smart and sexy Nintendo fans will be generations from now.
Grayman
(11-23-2007, 09:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Peru

It's clearly not listed as such?

EDGE has a point, a simple one - and it's the fact that PR teams are shameless - they always have been and they still are in Nintendo's offices.

Got me there, I read it as something that came from Paine and not edge. Like the new accessible but shallow titles were something to be proud of.

The accessibility and functionality are of course.
MrToughPants
Brian Burke punched my mom
(11-23-2007, 09:58 PM)
I shave my head Nintendo get it right.
White Man
Two things would happen right before I died: I would regret my entire life and I would want to live it over again.
(11-23-2007, 10:01 PM)
I see Nintendo also took the obnoxious, smarmy marketing page from Apple's handbook.
JDSN
You must walk home naked, dragging behind you the Stone of Shame.
(11-23-2007, 10:03 PM)
Where's that junkwaffle comic when you need it?
TrueReligion
Banned
(11-23-2007, 10:03 PM)
Dawn Paine, and other Nintendo PR, please do us all a favor by shutting the fuck up.
Thanks.
Gigglepoo
(11-23-2007, 10:04 PM)
I can't believe they are still spouting this line. Back in the PSX vs. N64 days, Yamauchi said PlayStation gamers locked themselves in dark rooms playing RPGs by themselves. I'm still not sure how Nintendo can rip solitary gamers than release games like Phantom Hourglass and Metriod Prime. I know I wasn't playing those games with a group of people.

EDIT - Found the quote!

From IGN:

"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games," he noted in a 1999 interview. Yamauchi - who incidentally has prided himself on the fact that he has never played a videogame - went on to call RPGs as a whole both "silly and boring."
Last edited by Gigglepoo; 11-23-2007 at 10:13 PM.
rakka
(11-23-2007, 10:08 PM)
stfu :lol
Mark D
(11-23-2007, 10:10 PM)
I hope playing the Wii makes me healthy and beautiful.
Zombie James
(11-23-2007, 10:12 PM)
I see they're trying really hard to get Sony/MS gamers on their side.
Tristam
(11-23-2007, 10:14 PM)
lawl. Nintendo PR is such shit.
Mariah Carey
(11-23-2007, 10:19 PM)
Anybody who ever asks "Why doesn't Nintendo do____" pretty much needs to read the OP to get the answer.
Crayon Shinchan
Aquafina Fanboy
(11-23-2007, 10:23 PM)
This is the sound of Nintendo fans tittering nervously.

Moments before Nintendo announce that they'll be moving out of gaming and into lifestyle treatment software.
Tristam
(11-23-2007, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Crayon Shinchan

This is the sound of Nintendo fans tittering nervously.

Moments before Nintendo announce that they'll be moving out of gaming and into lifestyle treatment software.

At least they're going out with Super Mario Galaxy. A fitting farewell present if there ever was any.
Kosma
Banned
(11-23-2007, 10:26 PM)
Nintendo has abandoned me.
ThePeter
(11-23-2007, 10:27 PM)
lol, i'm literally an introvert with a ponytail.
Amused_To_Death
(11-23-2007, 10:28 PM)
Old Nintendo:

New Nintendo:

teiresias
(11-23-2007, 10:28 PM)
Hah, Nintendo hates people that actually enjoy Mario Galaxy. Good to know where their priorities lie.
Azih
(11-23-2007, 10:30 PM)
Dear Nintendo fanboys

You are the frumpy loyal girl that constantly gets hit up for loans by your 'boyfriend' who then uses that money to chase hotties while laughing at you behind your back. Only now you're getting laughed at in the face.

Oh and you occasionally get a pity lay.

Thank you.
Acosta
(11-23-2007, 10:30 PM)
So that is the image they have of the core gamers? Nice.
iidesuyo
(11-23-2007, 10:32 PM)
Kosma
Banned
(11-23-2007, 10:33 PM)
Old Nintendo:

New Nintendo:

karasu
Likes his fat guys jiggly
(11-23-2007, 10:33 PM)
Can I say that 'Nintendo sucks' without being banned? Because that's what they do.
Dave Long
Banned
(11-23-2007, 10:35 PM)
I dunno dudes, we're all pretty much exactly as they describe. Take a look around your circle of friends and specifically your choice of Internet forum and then tell me honestly that we aren't all a bunch of retards.
Attack You
(11-23-2007, 10:35 PM)
Is there any other industry that insults its own audience as often as the video game industry? Sheesh.
Numbers
(11-23-2007, 10:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Amused_To_Death

Old Nintendo:

Wait, I think I might know that kid in real life!
RurouniZel
Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
In other news, "people will spend $600 on the PlayStation 3 even without games!"

Bullshit, its not exclusive to Nintendo.
blame space
Member with a nice beard and a broken TV
I'm so fucking sick of people complaining about stuff like this. Why do you think something a PR or advertising person says has to affect you? It's almost as bad as that "new Apple campaign dissing Vista downgraders" thread.

I own a Wii, and I play games that I like on it. Apart from that, I don't care who Nintendo's target audience is, and I don't care what their corporate image is.
Firewire
Banned
(11-23-2007, 10:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Azih

Dear Nintendo fanboys

You are the frumpy loyal girl that constantly gets hit up for loans by your 'boyfriend' who then uses that money to chase hotties while laughing at you behind your back. Only now you're getting laughed at in the face.

Thank you.

:lol
Zombie James
(11-23-2007, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by oo Kosma oo

Old Nintendo:

I love - fucking love - early/mid-90s Nintendo.
beef3483
(11-23-2007, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Azih

Dear Nintendo fanboys

Thank you.

No, we're the smart and sexy people. Didn't you read the OP? You're the nerd in the basement.

In all seriousness, as long as I get my Metroid, Mario, and Zeldas, then it doesn't really matter what some PR person says. I have yet to see Nintendo neglect me the software I want. So what difference does it make?
masud
(11-23-2007, 10:39 PM)
I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan, but that's pretty fucking ridiculous.
Last edited by masud; 11-23-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Tristam
(11-23-2007, 10:39 PM)

Originally Posted by blame space

I'm so fucking sick of people complaining about stuff like this. Why do you think something a PR or advertising person says has to affect you? It's almost as bad as that "new Apple campaign dissing Vista downgraders" thread.

I own a Wii, and I play games that I like on it. Apart from that, I don't care who Nintendo's target audience is, and I don't care what their corporate image is.

System warz, dude. As long as Nintendo makes games like Mario Galaxy I really don't give a shit about their corporate image. If it's an indication that they aren't going to be making games like Mario Galaxy in the future, then I'll be a sad panda. But we can wait and see.
Mariah Carey
(11-23-2007, 10:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Attack You

Is there any other industry that insults its own audience as often as the video game industry? Sheesh.

Yes, by addressing and trying to reverse a damaging stereotype the industry is insulting its audience. Understood.
Zer0
Banned
(11-23-2007, 10:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Chiggs

Man, imagine how smart and sexy Nintendo fans will be generations from now.

looking at current nintendo fanboys i doubt it :lol
vanguardian1
poor, homeless and tasteless

ditto.
Kosma
Banned

Originally Posted by Mariah Carey

Yes, by addressing and trying to reverse a damaging stereotype the industry is insulting its audience. Understood.

Making new shallow stereotypes doesn't help much either.
VultureDude
So this explains the lack of announced Nintendo "games" for 2008...

oh well, we always have Disaster and Brawl.
karasu
Likes his fat guys jiggly
(11-23-2007, 10:43 PM)

I'm so fucking sick of people complaining about stuff like this. .

Are you serious? Whether you're making movies, music, video games or cupcakes; rule number one should be that you don't insult your audience's intelligence.

Originally Posted by Mariah Carey

What?!?!
Great Rumbler
(11-23-2007, 10:43 PM)
Do people really take what PR from ANY company say seriously?