• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosaic

go eat paint
So, tomorrow's comic was put up early:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic

20071129.jpg

And, umm, yeah... what happened in the last panel did happen... yesterday.

acklame said:
Summary of latest development:

- CNET issues totally predictable non-denial-denial statements trying to dodge their way out of this
- Josh Larson, the guy in charge who replaced Greg K when he left, is a marketing guy and he's in charge of the editorial content
- Previous article by Josh Larson: http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/9509.asp
- an anonymous account by a possible gamespot editor of this whole debacle: http://valleywag.com/tech/jeff-gerstmann/gamespot-editor--on-fired-reviewer-328775.php
- Alex N, a gamespot editor, posted this on his blog http://www.gamespot.c-om/users/AlexN/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25234567
- Kevin V, another gamespot editor's blog post: http://www.gamespot.c-om/users/Kevin-V/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25234747

Girthmann got fired for giving KANE & LYNCH a bad review?? After all the bullshit reviews it was finally this one that killed him then.. life is funny sometimes..

Oh yeah, 8.8 or something.

Vark

The Orange said:
You guys are all puzzled by the last panel, I don't even get the middle one.

Talking about the promotions and advertisements on the site. 'Sponsored events'.

Rlan

Gertsmaaaaaaan!!

He's been there for forever, hasn't he? He fits in very well with their whole group of people if the podcast is anything to go by.

ohmycar

The Orange said:

There are huge ads for Kane & Lynch on GameSpot. Jeff gave Kane & Lynch a 6...put two and two together and so on and so forth.

mosaic

go eat paint
I only have second-hand information, so I don't feel comfortable relating any of it.

But, did y'all notice there was no "On The Spot" show today? And no reviews went up?

The staff are, to put it mildly, skittish.

calder

I'm a little alarmed that anyone could read a web comic as a literal recounting of actual events. Stay away the Bible kids!

NichM

Banned
I hope no one's cheering if this is true, Nintendo fan or no. There's supposed to be an iron wall between advertising and editorial, and if it's been breached, that's a really sad thing both for Gerstmann personally and GameSpot professionally.

rs7k

NichM said:
I hope no one's cheering if this is true, Nintendo fan or no. There's supposed to be an iron wall between advertising and editorial, and if it's been breached, that's a really sad thing both for Gerstmann personally and GameSpot professionally.

That's what I was gonna say. If it's true, then it'll be hard to consider Gamespot reviews as seriously as I used to.

I don't believe in review sites having biases in general, so whenever there's bitching about scores, I usually laugh at it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
NichM said:

Not to mention it'll give the conspiracy nuts material for the forever.

tanod

when is my burrito
WHAT?! I was wondering why he wasn't on the Hotspot. Nobody said anything about him either.

I think they are just teasing the whole fact that the sites smothered in Kane & Lynch ads etc, yet it got a meh review from the site itself.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
calder said:
I'm a little alarmed that anyone could read a web comic as a literal recounting of actual events. Stay away the Bible kids!
Well, the OP stated the last panel is actually true.

FFChris

calder said:

Penny Arcade, the new source of game journalist news!

DKnight said:
Well, the OP stated the last panel is actually true.

Wow, I stand corrected. Giving a mediocre game a mediocre review is grounds for being fired now?

Bildi

The Orange said:
Indeed.

Penny Arcade said:
Did you happen to see that our readers can skin the entire site with Kane, Lynch, or with Kane and Lynch?
I have NO idea what that means. NO IDEA. Or the sentence after that actually.

Ganondorfo

But kane and lynch is a 6.0/10 game, he is right.

So everyone who gave kane and lynch a bad review must be fired?????

I'm certainly not cheering even though I seemed to disagree with him a lot.

I'll be interested to hear what happened. If he is fired wow, PA, fingers on the pulse at all times..

If Gerstmann got fired for any content, I disagree with the decision, regardless of how GAF feels about him. I think he is an asset, even though I sometimes disagree wtih him strongly.

erm

if he let go i doubt it had anything to do with that score. i like how everybodys so paranoid about this sort of thing. i understand there're moneyhats abound but its dramatized

Bildi said:
Indeed.

I have NO idea what that means. NO IDEA. Or the sentence after that actually.

On the home page of Gamespot, there's an ad for Kane & Lynch, with "click a character to skin the site". With this, gamespot visitors can skin the site with either Kane, Lynch, or both.

Rody

If he did get fired, I doubt it was because of the review. PA is just joking about the coincidence, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom