• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

neptunes
(12-04-2007, 10:28 PM)
I had a cold a few days ago and I'm somewhat feeling better.

But I can't get rid of this stream thick Phlegm stuck at the bottom of my chest.

It's a nuisance, every time I breath it passes through this section of my lungs which is all stick. I can feel the blockage.

How do I get rid of this uncomfortable feeling?
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy
it's 4th of July in my asshole
(12-04-2007, 10:31 PM)
Hock a luggie and spit or get some of that vix stuff and sniff it like crazy or eat it.
Escape Goat
(12-04-2007, 10:31 PM)
Buy medicine that is a "cough expectorant"

Should loosen the plegm and dislodge it.
Flo_Evans
One crazy mofo
Saved by a Harley dude
(12-04-2007, 10:34 PM)
pour some tussin' on it!

seriously. tussin.
Drewsy
Banned
(12-04-2007, 10:36 PM)
Have someone beat on your back.

It's what they do in hospitals and it works like a charm.
Joates
Banned
(12-04-2007, 10:36 PM)
Ive always found tea, or hot chocolate, etc. to be effective. A hot shower would probably help as well, the vapors seem to do wonders for that kind of shit.
neptunes
(12-04-2007, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Joates

Ive always found tea, or hot chocolate, etc. to be effective. A hot shower would probably help as well, the vapors seem to do wonders for that kind of shit.

strangely enough the only time it stopped coughing was when I was taking a rather hot shower.
Mikazuki
Army death height crane group location world
(12-04-2007, 10:40 PM)

Get some durian. It makes my nose run after eating it.
livingdeadgirl
(12-04-2007, 11:02 PM)
Mucinex should work. Also, try what the above poster said and have someone beat on your back. They just cup their hands and strike your back.
widgetraf
(12-04-2007, 11:06 PM)
Sudafed.
Lo-Volt
(12-04-2007, 11:07 PM)
Mucinex and something like Claritin. Prescriptions like for Nasacort might also handle issues similar to this.
puck1337
(12-04-2007, 11:09 PM)
Take really deep breaths in a steamy environment, usually a shower. A good alternative is to fill a sink with hot water and cover your head with a towel so that the steam doesn't escape.

The phlegm will loosen and you'll be compelled to cough. Make sure that you have somewhere to spit so that you don't gross out whoever you live with by coating the shower in mucus.
StoOgE
First tragedy, then farce.
(12-04-2007, 11:10 PM)
musinex is awesome. Tussin works. Claritin D.
Amon37
Banned
(12-04-2007, 11:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Lo-Volt

Mucinex and something like Claritin.

+1 for Mucinex
Dali
(12-04-2007, 11:57 PM)
Years ago when I smoked weed I coughed up phlegm on a regular basis. I felt great and didn't need to use my asthma medicine the entire two and a half years I smoked. Then I stopped and now I have to use different versions of albuterol every now and again, but that doesn't really clear your lungs it only helps with the spasms that cause wheezing.

So to answer your question, I'd go see a doctor or start smoking weed. It could be allergies or it could be something else.
Suburban Cowboy
(12-04-2007, 11:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Mikazuki

Get some durian. It makes my nose run after eating it.

is it spicy?
Earthstrike
(12-05-2007, 12:07 AM)
buckleys will not the shit out of anything in you.

The first time I tried it, it felt like someone punched me in the back of the throat so hard my ears started to ring (My ears literally did ring after taking a spoonful)

But damn that really took away ALL phlegm. I was practically bone dry in there.

So yeah, you want real shit and not some pussy solution, take buckleys.
Forgotten Ancient
Banned
(12-05-2007, 12:10 AM)
I always feel like (and can get) phlegm. It's really annoying when exercising and I want to swallow, but I feel like I have to cough up phlegm so I constantly clear my throat. I've had this problem for years and I don't know what to do to fix or reduce it :(.
Gantz
Banned
(12-05-2007, 12:11 AM)
drink lots of water. Stop eating foods with lactose in it.
ComputerNerd
Banned
(12-05-2007, 12:14 AM)
I always just cough it up.

That's hard for me though. When I cough it up, it activates the gagging reflex. Makes me want to throw up.
Forgotten Ancient
Banned
(12-05-2007, 12:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Gantz

drink lots of water. Stop eating foods with lactose in it.

Talking to me? I'm not really lactose intolerant. lol

I do drink tons of water though. It just seems like I'll have this problem forever. I hack to get it away and it sounds like I"m a smoker or something when I do it sometimes. Or like I'm always sick.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(12-05-2007, 12:34 AM)
Really hot, really spicy kimchi ramen.

It's like colon blow, except for your sinuses.
Mikazuki
Army death height crane group location world
(12-05-2007, 12:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Suburban Cowboy

is it spicy?

It tastes like dozens of different things to be honest. It's the most complex food I've eaten. There's a lot of garlic action going on with it.
ZAK
(12-05-2007, 12:37 AM)
You can't get rid of Phlegm. Your only option is to stop reading threads about religion.
PhlegmMaster
Banned
(12-05-2007, 12:43 AM)

Originally Posted by ZAK

You can't get rid of Phlegm. Your only option is to stop reading threads about religion.

And even that isn't 100% effective.
Dice
(12-05-2007, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by puck1337

Take really deep breaths in a steamy environment, usually a shower. A good alternative is to fill a sink with hot water and cover your head with a towel so that the steam doesn't escape.

The phlegm will loosen and you'll be compelled to cough. Make sure that you have somewhere to spit so that you don't gross out whoever you live with by coating the shower in mucus.

This is a good idea, but make sure to inhale as much as you can. Then after a few times of doing that when it is loosened up, take a deep breath then exhale as much as you can as fast as you can. That should more effectively make you cough it out. Combine this with Mucinex and some sort of vaporous medicine and you could even cough out superglue.
Phobophile
A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
(12-05-2007, 12:57 AM)

Originally Posted by widgetraf

Sudafed.

I've found that it doesn't work well as an expectorant. Unless the new non-pseudoephedrine Sudafed works like that. I haven't tried it since it's not as good as taking speed.
ZAK
(12-05-2007, 01:00 AM)
Oh, by the way Phlegm, how thick are you when you're down someone's throat?
Futureman
(12-05-2007, 01:36 AM)
Smoke a pack of Marlboro Reds.
The Take Out Bandit
grrrrrrr bungle snitches!
rrrrrrrrrrrrr baba britches!
sumthin sumthin itches!
DRAGGGUUULLLAAA!!!
(12-05-2007, 02:05 AM)
Mint herbal teas. Hot tea of course. These break up my phlegm real good.

Ginger root is also good.

Altoids and water.
Pochacco
asking dangerous questions
(12-05-2007, 02:18 AM)
Captain Glanton
Banned
(12-05-2007, 02:23 AM)
I'm asthmatic with a tendency to have a phlegm-y cough, and it sucks. Sometimes it feels like someone stuck a wad of gum in your chest or something. Hot tea [or whatever hot liquid] will you do wonders.

DO NOT use Afrin [or similar nasal inhalents]. My doctor got mad at me when I said I used it sometimes.